Start by marking “The Bad Seed” as Want to Read:

(Bad Seed #1)

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  21,716 ratings  ·  2,485 reviews

An Amazon Best Children's Book of the Month from the New York Times bestselling author of the Goodnight Already! series

This is a book about a bad seed. A baaaaaaaaaad seed. How bad? Do you really want to know?

He has a bad temper, bad manners, and a bad attitude. He’s been bad since he can remember! This seed cuts in line every time, stares at everybody and never listens.

Published May 8th 2018 by HarperCollins (first published August 29th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about The Bad Seed, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
bolni nagalo
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  21,716 ratings  ·  2,485 reviews

Start your review of The Bad Seed
Jon Nakapalau
Loved this book! A bad seed decides to change after he comes to the realization that all the other seeds are convinced he is the worst of the worst. Important lessons for small children and fantastic art.
Calista
Jory authored the book ‘the Good Egg’, which is one of my favorites of the year. This is the first one, ‘the Bad Seed’. I really enjoyed this book and the arc of the character in it, but it isn’t as good as the egg.

Our seed is bad and does bad stuff children do. But he had a trauma that caused his behavior, being a seed and all. Eventually, he is tired of feeling bad all the time and he wants to feel good so he decides to start being a good seed, baby steps. It’s a whole process.

One of the pictu
Hilary
A nice story about a sunflower seed who doesn't behave well and is proud of it. As the story progresses we find out that the Bad Seed has been separated from his happy family and has spent some time homeless. The story ends nicely, showing the Bad Seed trying to make a change. The illustrations are lovely and an educational message for children that if a child doesn't have a happy home life this might show in their behaviour at school. ...more
ℛ a ℂ ℎ ℯ ℓ ♥️
Sometimes things in life turn us into bad seeds. You ever had a day or a week that was just so bad and not everything that happened in the week was your fault or in your control but you just lost it? That is what this story is about.

This is about the Bad Seed. He was not always bad but everyone sees him that way because he makes up mischief and does things that are not socially acceptable, and frankly come off rude. But that is just who he is ok? Well that is not entirely true. He begins to tell
Kimberly
Apr 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a fun story about a bad seed who has decided to change his ways. I really enjoyed the illustrations. The story would have been a bit shallow without them. Overall, it's a fun book to share with a young audience. ...more
La Coccinelle
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
I kept seeing this e-book pop up on the library site, so I finally decided to give it a try. It's actually pretty funny. The Bad Seed lives in a world populated by sentient seeds (and humans, as it turns out). He's a very bad seed. He doesn't listen, and he cuts in line, and he stares at other seeds to make them uncomfortable.

But he's also got a backstory that sort of helps explain why he is the way he is. Trauma can do strange things to a person seed. (His background is rather harrowing. I mean
TL
Dec 29, 2018 rated it liked it
*Read for free with kindle Unlimited*

Drawings: 3.5 stars
Story/Plot: 3.25 stars
---

Overused word but cute story.. thought that there could have been a few more pages to it though. To me the latter part felt sudden but that could my brain being overly critical.

I think kids would enjoy this. It might not be their favorite story *shrugs* or maybe it will, could be wrong.
Andrea Fleury
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Can a bad seed ever be good.

A seed who realizes that being unhappy and dad is not the way to go. The illustrations were fantastic and the story. Great for any age. Young and old will get a kick out of how he became a bad seed.
Deborah
Jul 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Bad Seed revels in bad behavior from lying, rudeness, tardiness (yikes - that’s bad?), and uncleanliness alarming his fellow seeds. Describing his elation as a sunflower seed to his descent into hell, the Bad Seed decides he is ready to embrace happiness day by day. A cute child’s book demonstrating that through your efforts you can change yourself.
Cheryl
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It seems as if there's something missing in that the seed just happens to decide to reform... but the child reader who is uncomfortable with being known as a troublemaker or a 'bad kid' might take heart in the straightforwardness of that decision. Sometimes we just realize that change has to happen, even if it's going to take an effort and some time.

Brilliant book because it can be read just for fun, too.

Second read: Reminds me of Scrooge. Finally, on this year's read of Christmas Carol, I real
Prabhjot Kaur
Dec 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humour, fiction, children
I'm a bad seed.

A bad seed who doesn't do the right thing and behaves badly decides to turn his life around and become a good seed. He also explains that he was not always bad but circumstances led him to bad but he's trying to be good now.

It was a fun, short story with amazing pictures.

4 stars
Kaethe Douglas
It lost its witty tone when the bad seed reformed. The art was pleasing throughout.

Library copy
Candace
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bad seed. A really bad sunflower seed. We learn the seed's life story and understand why it feels it has to be bad. One day, however, the sunflower seed decides to be good. Well, not all the time.

This expressive picture book has bold, colorful drawings. The seed changes from a negative to a positive attitude. This produces mixed feelings, but it's a happier seed.
Peacegal
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars -- Titles like THE BAD SEED are why I love children's picture books. Clever, wonderfully illustrated, and just plain laugh-out-loud funny stuff that can be enjoyed equally by both kids and adults. ...more
Lisa (Remarkablylisa)
Sep 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: september-2020
Kind of a dark book LOL
Melki
Jul 14, 2019 rated it liked it
A bad seed tells how he got that way, and how he's attempting to change his ways. I liked the artwork, but the story was a little fruitless. (Sorry.)

description
KC
Sweet, silly, and touching story about how a sunflower seed struggles with being bad.
Katelyn Jenkins
Sep 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
I loved it!! :)
Christi M
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I’m not sure I should admit this, but I’ve wanted to read this picture book for a while. Every time I would see it I would notice how interesting the book looked. So, I finally gave in and downloaded it. Thank goodness I was right – this was a very interesting book to read.

Thoughts:
I loved just about every aspect of the book. How could I not? In the story we have a seed who is a very very bad seed. The other seeds all know this – some are scared of him and some just talk about him behind his see
Mary Eve
The Bad Seed

"I'm a bad seed. A baaaaaad seed."

Trust me. This little dude was a really bad seed. He's not the kind of seed you'd want growing in your garden. He does stuff. Bad stuff. It's just his thing. He's baaaaaad. And, he likes it that way. I'll also tell you that this tiny terror is terribly cute and he's quite clever at getting his point across. Make no mistake, he's a bad seed. A baaaad seed. But, I think he's getting tired of being the bad guy. He's on the mean streets and living in a
Oct 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books

Come meet The Bad Seed. He’s the baddest seed around. He cuts in line, lies, and so much more. What made this "baaaaaaaaaaad" seed so bad? His life changed in a hurry when he fell from his safe, sunny sunflower world. Changes that hardened his shell and heart. Can this Bad Seed turn things around? Can he be good?

Jump in and see! Come see the in your face art filled with lots of frowns, pouts, and maybe, just maybe a smile or two hidden underneath all that badness. The eyes say it all! :)

This ima
B.A. Wilson
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My first experience with this story was phenomenal. It was read to me at a library conference, during a session called Draq Queen Storytime. It was read by a very charismatic drag queen, after she shared with us some of the reasons why she felt drag queen storytime was so special at her library.

And I loved it. The story. The presentation. Everything. I will probably have a permanent warm fuzzy place in my heart for this wickedly charming picture book.
Jackie
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, 2019-read
Available for free through Kindle's Prime program. I picked this one up on a whim after seeing it advertised at B&N. It's super short so not much to say, but I think everyone can enjoy this one. It has a good lesson for children on how life's circumstances can effect you, but how you have the power to make the choice of how it effects you. Come to think of it...it's a lesson some adults can use as well. :) ...more
Faloni © arr
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Students read a story about The Bad Seed. As a class we discussed what we thought was important about the story and wrote about it. At the end of the story -The Bad Seed’s behavior improved and he learned that it was okay to make mistakes. I really liked sharing this story written by Jory John.
Jamila
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
loved this!
LaDonna
Another Jory John work that speaks to the social and emotional growth of young readers. In The Bad Seed , is the Bad Seed really bad? That is the question that weaved throughout the story. We learn that it is easy to label others and point out their faults. It is often hard to understand the circumstances of others. Jory John, along with the illustrations of Pete Oswald, remind us the importance of not judging a book by its cover.
Abigail
Apr 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jory John Fans / Readers Looking for Children's Stories About the After-Effects of Trauma
Shelves: picture-books
The eponymous Bad Seed of this humorous picture-book examination of trauma and its after-effects does lots of terrible things, from cutting in line to refusing to put anything away in its proper place. Perfectly aware that the other seeds don't like him very much, the Bad Seed reveals his history - growing up on a sunflower, being torn from his family, and then almost eaten by a giant! Eventually deciding he doesn't want to be bad anymore, he makes efforts to change, ending up (like most of us) ...more
Kirsti
Simple story about motivations for bad and good behavior. The illustrations are funny and expressive.
Shiloah
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a great book! I’m so glad we bought this one.
Kimberly Reads Books
Such a great read! My daughter loved this fun picture book. The artwork is fantastic and the story is really quite touching but presented in a way that's fun instead of being too heavy. The fact that the seed could see he needed to change and took steps to improving his behavior was a great way to show children that it's possible. ...more
NZ Intermediate S...: The Bad Seed 2 15 May 29, 2019 02:52PM
Around the Year i...: The Bad Seed, by Jory John 1 10 Apr 13, 2019 02:17PM

• Eraser
  • Pete the Cat and the Missing Cupcakes
  • Red: A Crayon's Story
  • You Get What You Get (Little Boost)
  • After the Fall: How Humpty Dumpty Got Back up Again
  • Hair Love
  • Vegetables in Underwear
  • We Don't Eat Our Classmates
  • Frozen Olaf's Night Before Christmas Book  CD
  • How to Catch a Dinosaur
  • Splat the Cat: I Scream for Ice Cream (I Can Read Level 1)
  • Mac and Cheese
  • Lacey Walker, Nonstop Talker (Little Boost)
  • The Snow Dancer
  • Tiny T. Rex and the Impossible Hug
  • Pete the Cat: Out of This World
  • Twins
  • Pirate Stew
Jory John is a #1 New York Times bestselling author and two-time E.B. White Read-Aloud Honor recipient.

Jory's work includes the #1 New York Times bestselling picture book, The Good Egg, and the #2 New York Times bestselling picture book, The Bad Seed, both illustrated by Pete Oswald. He is also the author of the popular picture books, Penguin Problems and Giraffe Problems, both illustrated by Lan

Bad Seed (4 books)
  • The Good Egg (The Bad Seed, #2)
  • The Cool Bean (The Bad Seed, #3)
  • The Couch Potato (The Bad Seed, #4)

News & Interviews