Start by marking “Salvare le ossa” as Want to Read:

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

Salvare le ossa

(Bois Sauvage #1)

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  30,943 Ratings  ·  4,508 Reviews
Un uragano minaccia di colpire BoisSauvage, Mississippi. In un avvallamento chiamato la Fossa, tra rottami, baracche e boschi, vivono Esch, i suoi fratelli e il padre. La famiglia cerca di prepararsi all’emergenza, ma tutti hanno altri pensieri: Skeetah deve assistere il suo pitbull da combattimento dopo il parto; Randall, quando non gioca a basket, si occupa del piccolo J ...more
Published April 16th 2018 by NN editore (first published August 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Salvare le ossa, please sign up.
Sarah The prose is really dense in this book, and it is mostly a work of tension and implied violence. So . . . probably not a great match for 9th graders.…moreThe prose is really dense in this book, and it is mostly a work of tension and implied violence. So . . . probably not a great match for 9th graders. At least, it would not be a match for the 9th graders at my school. Also, while Katrina is sewn into the novel, I would not categorize it is a book ABOUT Katrina. (less)
Debra Dannheisser There are articles on NPR, Powells interview, New Yorker Sept 11, 2017 issue and new york times. Just google her name or book and many articles come…moreThere are articles on NPR, Powells interview, New Yorker Sept 11, 2017 issue and new york times. Just google her name or book and many articles come up about author and book. it is one you will never forget. (less)

Trish
There is a moment in the beginning of this book when I want to put the book down (the birthing of puppies). There is a point in the middle when I breathe raggedly, as though from a gut punch (Ward’s description of the dog fight). And there are long stretches at the end of this book when I cannot take my horrified eyes from the page, when I feel my insides crumbling and my heart breaking and my memories reeling and I know I have read something extraordinary.

Jesmyn Ward just gives us words, but wo
Paromjit
The outstanding writing abilities of Jesamyn Ward are indisputable in this emotionally visceral powerhouse of a novel, epic in scope, pitching the indomitable spirit of a family to survive, against all the odds, with the destructive and devastating monster of nature that is Hurricane Katrina, wreaking havoc on the Mississipi coastal town of Bois Sauvage. Esch is the black 14 year old narrator, pregnant, the only girl surroundes by males. Mother died in childbirth, and father is a hard drinking m ...more
Elyse Walters
Apr 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The audiobook narrator....by Cherise Booth, is outstanding!

Author Jesmyn Ward's writing is beautiful- lyrical....lovely as can be!!!!

Between the Jesmyn's usage of language- poetic - sometimes calming the issues at hand.
and Cherise's engaging voice - "Salvage The Bones" - feels 'real'....tragic - and completely heartbreaking. My heart was racing the last couple of chapters.....where it was almost stopped at beginning. - Two extreme emotions from start to finish.

Most of the book takes place a few
jo
Dec 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
when i finished the book, i realized that the hurricane's presence in it had been much stronger than i had realized at first. even though katrina occupies only two chapters, it seems as if the prose breathes hurricane weather in and out in every chapter -- through water, heat, stifling humidity, the stillness of the air and then the non-stillness of the air as the trees sway in a wind that gives no relief, hunger, dirt, restless sleep. you know it if you've been in a hurricane, but i think havin ...more
Cheryl
I couldn't dull the edges and fall in love with my characters and spare them. Life doesn't spare us. -Jesmyn Ward

The words in this novel are wounds with fragile scabs. This story is the beat of a wounded girl's heart; it bleeds on the page and hurts to read. These words are tears that have not been shed, so they build up on the inside and fill up buckets of anguish:

I learned how to cry so that almost no tears leaked out of my eyes, so that I swallowed the hot salty water of them and felt them ru
Maureen
Aug 21, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Unfortunately, I felt like I was reading an extended undergrad creative writing piece, not an award winning author. The language is just so hard to get through-everything is a simile. I counted 3 uses of "like" to describe someone or something in one short paragraph. I had to slog my way through it, but I did find there were parts that intrigued me more than others and did want to read on, thus not a total dislike.
Debra
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book takes place over the course of twelve days and in those twelve days a lot happens. A dog, China, becomes a Mother in a very detailed birthing sequence, a young teen, Esch, learns she is going to be a Mother, and Motherless children prepare for a Hurricane in between attending dog fights, fighting among themselves and caring for their drunk father.

Esch and her brothers live in Bois Sauvage, Mississippi. Their Mother passed away after giving birth and they are left in the care of their
PattyMacDotComma
3.5★
“. . . he wanted the other me. The pulpy ripe heart. The sticky heart the boys saw through my boyish frame, my dark skin, my plain face. . . . I’d let boys have it because for a moment, I was Psyche or Eurydice or Daphne. I was beloved.”

Home is on land they call the Pit outside the fictional Mississippi coastal town of Bois Sauvage. Esch’s family is poor, rough, and dirty.

She loves mythology and escapes by reading and imagining. She tells us her first time having sex was when she was twelve
Michael Ferro
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
With 2017 being the most deadly year in U.S. history for hurricanes, and Jesmyn Ward ONCE AGAIN winning the National Book Award for "Sing, Unburied Sing," I figured it was well past time for me to read her debut novel, "Salvage the Bones." And my goodness... what the hell took me so long?

Ward has crafted one of the most spellbinding novels with this effort. The book exudes that southern heat that comes in the hours and days before a monster storm, the vivid landscape of this rural, poor fictiona
Dana
4.5 stars ~

Salvage the Bones is a simple, yet powerful story about a poor black family living in Bois Sauvage, Mississippi. The story is broken into twelve chapters - the twelve days leading up to Hurricane Katrina.

The narrator is fifteen year old Esch. Much of the story centers around her coming of age - being motherless and among all males. Esch is living in poverty (on a junkyard called The Pit) with a father who drinks too much, one brother raising a pit bull for fighting, and two other br
JanB
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars.

Poignant and powerful, the story is narrated by fourteen-year-old Esche, who lives in Mississippi with her three brothers and father. Their mother died in childbirth, and the family is struggling both financially and emotionally. They survive the only way they know how. Many of the ways are heartbreaking and would be easy to judge: raising pit bulls, dog fighting, a young teenager looking for love in all the wrong places with all the wrong people, and a father who drinks and is largel
Elizabeth
Mar 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kari- b/c she loves her some serious reads.
It is so exciting when I read a book that I know will be with me forever. Salvage the Bones seemed at first to be in the same vein as Beans of Egypt, Maine, Bastard Out of Carolina, or The Book of Ruth. *Except* the overall effect is quite different. Instead of violence and desperation Jesmyn Ward gives us sweetness, beauty, and anticipation. Her writing is gorgeous (as one of the characters is racing through the woods his legs are described as looking like black ribbons) and the story is a time ...more
Cosimo
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nelle mani della terra

“China sta rantolando. Ogni volta che espira le esce un latrato sordo e pesante come una sberla. Il rumore arriva dal bosco, e quando mi affaccio alla porta sul retro mi sembra che si stia avvicinando, e mi aspetto di vederla emergere dagli alberi con Skeetah al suo fianco, e invece no. Vedo soltanto la giornata, più calda della precedente, densa come acqua sul punto di bollire. E poi il suono si diffonde come un contagio. Ci sono altri cani nei boschi vicini, dall'altra pa
Dianne
Sep 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-of-2016
A gritty, tough story about a scrappy family living in poverty in the Gulf Coast of Mississippi in a twelve day period encompassing the landfall of Hurricane Katrina. The bleakness of their plight is juxtaposed with hauntingly beautiful prose that is almost poetry. I have a full-fledged author crush on Jesmyn Ward - this woman has supernatural powers. No one else writes like her!

Be prepared for content that may make you cringe, including graphic accounts of dog-fighting. It is essential to this
Ron Charles
Nov 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When the finalists for the National Book Award in Fiction were announced last month, I’m embarrassed to admit that I was among those critics grumbling about the obscurity of some of the authors (Andrew Krivak?), even some of the publishers (Lookout Books?). Partly, I was annoyed that novels I’ve adored this year (“Doc,” “State of Wonder”) didn’t make the cut, and partly I was operating under the time-tested prejudice that books I’ve read are always better than books I haven’t read.

But one of the
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Unfortunately, I couldn't finish this one. The writing was beautiful and it was a story of family which I love. This was a case of I should have read the synopsis. Sometimes I skip those so I can be surprised but the dog fighting and sick puppies were too much for me. I tried skipping those parts on the audio but I ended up having to skip too often. I will definitely read other books by this author because I like her style.

Summer 2017 Read #20
piperitapitta
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Come Argonauti nel bayou

I dodici giorni che precedono la devastazione dell'uragano Katrina, nell'entroterra del Mississippi, alle spalle di New Orleans: a Bois Sauvage, in una depressione chiamata Fossa, fra auto abbandonate, pneumatici e rottami di elettrodomestici, galline che razzolano in libertà, baracche e una fossa d'acqua, vivono Esch, il padre, vedovo da quando è nato Junior, che ha otto anni, e i suoi fratelli più grandi.
Sono nati a un anno di distanza l'uno dall'altro, Esch (che è l'u
Ellie
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Esch is a 15 year old girl, poor and black, living in Mississippi with her father and three brothers. Her mother's death is an absence that still hurts. Maybe that's why Esch has sex with so many different boys. But now she is in love with a boy that is someone else's boyfriend. And she is pregnant.

This is also a story about China, a pit bull that Esch's brother Skeetah loves with a passion. Although he fights her against other dogs, China has his heart.

A hurricane is coming. They've lived throu
Jing
Mar 21, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I started the book not impressed and ended the book not impressed. I wasn't blown away by Ward's writing, which I did not find poetic or beautiful (Kundera is my standard for breathtaking prose). However, the story line is solid and Ward tries to give an acute portrayal of the twelve days leading up to Katrina for the Batiste family.

There are many reasons this novel didn't work. For one, Ward fails in many key descriptions. While she can minutely detail the beauty of the woods, in other areas, s
Jennifer (aka EM)
Update: I did it. I finished it. I skimmed over some spots, but read it, I did. Right to the end. The ending that I am going to believe was a happy one. Yes.

__________

This book seethes with brutality - implied, overt - and I turn each page with my heart in my throat, steeling myself for what is to come.

Kids, dogs subject to abuse, trauma, neglect.

Can't do it. It's beautifully written, even poetic in places, but I can't do it.
Ace
Oct 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 stars

Ward seems the be the master of writing deeply depressing poor American families. I would like to say that I enjoyed reading these characters more so than I did those in Sing, Unburied, Sing, but that doesn't feel right. As a reader, I can only state that sometimes I'm too far removed from where the authors head is at and I can't empathize in the way they may want me to. In this gruelling case, a young family of children and their alcoholic dad are trying to find love (possibly in all the
Linda Wright
Brutal and savage story told almost entirely in the present tense. I found it both repelling and compelling. In my opinion it had little to do with Katrina (the hurricane) and more to do about surviving in a savage land. Most of the descriptive writing is eloquent, but at times it could have used better editing. Now I'm looking for something that does not use the word detritus once.
Melanie
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So good. So devastating.
Zoe Mann
"Salvage the Bones" by Jesmyn Ward is a slow malting novel that takes time to mature, but come the end, all the characterisation and scene building fuses together in 1 perfect explosion.

I don't tend to read literary fiction but something about this book screamed to be read. The detail and portrayal of each and every character was exquisite. I felt like I knew them all inside and out. The setting was also wonderfully described. I could feel the sizzling heat on my skin and the warm humid air bef
Vincent Scarpa
May 28, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
By far the most difficult book to trudge through that I've read this year, or in recent history for that matter. Over-stylized + over-aestheticized to the point of being nearly unreadable. A deft reader can sense, from the first page, just how much Ward wants to dazzle with her language—and there are certainly moments where she does—but it feels as if the only motivation and purpose of Salvage the Bones is to demonstrate that Jesmyn Ward can write sentences. She never uses one simile when she ca ...more
Celeste Ng
I went to grad school with Jesmyn Ward and have been a fan of her work for years--so I expected to love this book. But I had no idea how deeply it would move me. Some lines stayed with me for days after I'd finished reading it. I couldn't stop thinking about Esch and her family, the grittiness of their world, and the fierceness of their love for each other.
T. Greenwood
Sep 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-teaching
5/18/13 I just re-read this for a workshop I am teaching. Still love every raw bit of this book. Be prepared though...it's the kind of book that wrecks you.

3/19/12 I feel like I want to write a love letter to this author. This book just earned a spot on my list of all-time favorites.

It is the story of fourteen year old Esch and her family who live in the Bois Sauvage in rural Mississippi. It takes place over the ten days leading up to Hurricane Katrina. Esch's mother is dead, her father is a dru
Kristi
Jun 02, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Diane S ☔
Jun 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Extremely brutal and gritty, but such a celebration of what a family is and how a family takes care of each other in less than ideal situations. Their mother dead, their father a drunk, the four siblings do their best to raise themselves and take care of each other. Their fighting pitbull China, is the focus of much of their attention as she has puppies that need to be tended to. The hurricane is coming, they are trying to stock food and water, and the tension mounts. When the hurricane comes, m ...more
João Carlos
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: l2017

O romance ”No Coração da Tempestade” venceu o National Book Award for Fiction em 2011, segunda obra da jovem escritora norte-americana Jesmyn Ward (n. 1977).
A acção de ”No Coração da Tempestade” decorre durante doze dias, cada dia é um capítulo; numa zona denominada de Bois Sauvage, nas proximidades do Golfo do México e do rio Mississippi, e da pequena vila de St. Catherine, no Louisiana, com o furacão Katrina a fustigar aquela área no décimo primeiro dia.
”No Coração da Tempestade” retrata a v
Reading Women: 25) A book by Jesmyn Ward 5 45 Nov 12, 2018 05:07PM
Play Book Tag: Salvage the Bones - Jesmyn Ward - 3 stars 5 21 May 15, 2018 07:28AM
Play Book Tag: Salvage the Bones/Ward - 4 stars 7 26 May 08, 2018 05:23AM
Crocodile Hunter 4 37 Feb 07, 2018 04:10PM
Play Book Tag: Salvage the Bones - Jessamyn Ward, 3 stars 3 20 Mar 09, 2017 06:11PM
  • The Field of Vision
  • Ten North Frederick
  • The Waters of Kronos
  • Silver Sparrow
  • The Book of Night Women
Jesmyn Ward is the author of Where the Line Bleeds, Salvage the Bones, and Men We Reaped. She is a former Stegner Fellow (Stanford University) and Grisham Writer in Residence at the University of Mississippi. She is an associate professor of Creative Writing at Tulane University.

Her work has appeared in BOMB, A Public Space and The Oxford American.

Bois Sauvage (3 books)
  • Sing, Unburied, Sing
  • Where the Line Bleeds
“it is the way that all girls who only know one boy move. Centered as if the love that boy feels for them anchors them deep as a tree's roots, holds them still as the oaks, which don't uproot in hurricane wind. Love as certainty.” 30 likes
“I will not let him see until none of us have any choices about what can be seen, what can be avoided, what is blind, and what will turn us to stone.” 11 likes