Start by marking “The Girl Who Came Out of the Woods” as Want to Read:
The Girl Who Came Out of the Woods

The Girl Who Came Out of the Woods

A commune hidden from the world. A terrible accident. A lifetime of secrets to uncover. The new YA thriller from Emily Barr.

I've been trapped here for days. What if I die here? I decided to write down my story so that one day, when I'm discovered, they will know who I was and why I was here.

Arty has always lived in the Clearing, a small settlement in the forests of south
Published May 2nd 2019 by Penguin

To ask other readers questions about The Girl Who Came Out of the Woods, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Girl Who Came Out of the Woods

Amanda
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first Emily Barr book. I feel like I’ve missed out, but chuffed to have found a new author’s books to read!!

Arty has grown up in the woods with only 11 other people, they sleep in tree houses and are 1 big family. She has no inclination to leave but when something bad happens Arty has to leave her small community behind and go out into the big world that she has only ever read about.

Alongside this story is about someone who is locked in a basement, who plans on how to escape. The lin
Becky
May 05, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-arc
Thank you to NetGalley & Penguin Random House for the opportunity to read this in exchange for an honest review!

The premise sounded so good and I was so excited to read this book because I really enjoyed The one memory of Flora Banks - Emily Barr’s writing is wonderful but I just felt confused by what was happening in the book, I wasn’t really enjoying picking this one up probably because I was so confused with what was going on. Unfortunately this book wasn’t for me, which I’m really sad ab
Liz Barnsley
An intriguing novel and one I read fast but I think suffers from the tag of YA Thriller when it's more of a character drama and coming of age tale.

A girl comes out of the woods to a world she knows nothing of. This is a dual narrative timeline with the girl readjusting to life outside, having been living in a forest commune for her entire remembered life and an unknown person trying to escape a basement torture.

How these two tales eventually intertwine forms the central premise and there is some
Ruthy lavin
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
A stunning read!
This book was a slow starter but by the middle i was hooked.
Visually beautiful, wonderfully written, and with a fantastic storyline, I just loved it.
Beautiful stuff.
Tahlia
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(Gifted)

Blog Post: https://museofnyxmares.wordpress.com/...

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/museofnyxma...

*I was provided with an ARC by the publisher in exchange for my honest opinion.

This was such a unique read for me in a lot of ways, and I truly treasure and champion it for that. As the synopsis suggests, this is a story about a girl who has grown up in a society closed off from the rest of the modern world. This in itself is so interesting, given societies reliance on modern inventions.
Sam (she_who_reads_)
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was such an enjoyable reading experience- the writing flowed so well, the characters were engaging, and I just did not want to put it down! I could vividly picture “the clearing” where this story begins, and I was so invested in what happened to our main character Arty. There are some beautiful moments and interactions between characters that are so subtle, but so sweet. This is definitely a book that is full of hope! My only real criticism is that it did drag a little in the middle, and it ...more
Carys Wiggans
May 14, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Now I’m normally the biggest Emily Barr fan, but it was too predictable. Maybe I’ve read too many books like it, but by page 90, I’d guessed what would happen.... and I wasn’t really interested in the story. So I went online and found out everything I thought was right. I don’t like that.

I really really wanted to love this, but it just didn’t work for me
Tara
May 07, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not really my cup of tea, found it quite slow, quite often confused, just found it disappointing and wanted so much more from the book.

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for a free copy for an honest opinion
Chloé E
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 4-star, 2019
I gave The Girl Who Came Out of the Woods by Emily Barr a 4 and a half star rating
A huge thank you to Penguin NZ who sent me this copy in exchange for an honest review

This was my first read from Emily Barr and what a journey I was taken on! This book is based on a teenage girl who goes by Arty. Her family live in the middle of the forest living off the land and following what I would call a 'conscious way of living'. When a sickness arrives, Arty is forced to step out of the forest and enter a w
Sheri
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was very surprised, on finishing this book, to read some pretty negative advance reviews, because I completely loved it. I’ve read most if not all of Emily Barr’s books, and I think this is up there with her best.

Artemis has grown up in a tiny community of eleven people, cut off from the outside world, in a clearing in a forest sixty miles from Mumbai. It’s a matriarchal society, close to nature, where the inhabitants have all taken the names of gods and goddesses. She has never left, nor want
ftnrsnn
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My first time reading thriller and what I can say is, I'm not disappointed at all. Although I think this book is more about mystery than thriller.

This book is about a teen girl, Arty who have to find her way through a “new world” after a terrible disaster strikes her family. For the past 16 years, Arty’s world is limited to only 11 people living their life in a forest in India known as “The Clearing”, isolated away from the rest of the world. When a sudden outbreak spreads among themselves caus
Roubeeni Mohan (bookish_owl06)
BOOK REVIEW: SPOILER FREE
Received this ARC from Times Reads in exchange for my honest review.

The Girl Who Came Out of the Woods by Emily Barr
Goodreads Rating: 3.89
My rating: 3 stars
Date Published: 2 May 2019

I was truly anticipating this book, but shockingly it disappointed me a bit. It wasn't until around the middle of the book that it really got interesting and afterwards I felt that after the plot twist (which to be reasonable was a decent twist which I didn't see coming) everything just appe
Jessica Mortimer-brown
Thank you to Netgalley for allowing me to read this book but I don’t think I can finish it, so first I was just greatly confused by where or even what this story is fully about. As soon as I began reading this I just felt myself having to force myself to carry this on and to me a book shouldn’t feel that way, it should be effortless and I should want to read this but unfortunately I don’t. Maybe one day I’ll give it another shot at reading this book but right now I’m going to have to stop.
SJ Reads
May 30, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2019, dnf-ed
this is, my first DNF of 2019......... yeah.

DNF @ PAGE 177

SENT VIA THE PUBLISHERS FOR AN HONEST REVIEW

I'd recommend this to much younger readers but this story was just very bland and there was no element of a thriller to it. It feels like a mislabeled coming of age story that's littered with meh writing and meh character growth. I've spent like, six days trying to get through this and I just can't make myself do it anymore.
Gail Wylde
May 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pigeonhole
This is my second book by Emily Barr and it certainly didn't disappoint. Although this is classed as YA please don't let it put you off reading it as it is a beautiful story not to be missed. It is written in two time lines but the one in the past keeps us guessing who it is until the end. Arty is a wonderful character who I'm now going to miss now that I have come to the end of her amazing story.
Thank you to Pigeonhole and Emily Barr for this fabulous book.
Brooklynne
May 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Check out a more in depth review on my blog Lost In Literature

I loved Arty’s story of a girl who grew up in a secluded commune away from modern society having to renter mainstream society after a tragic event. This aspect was so well written and overall strayed from the easy comedy it could provide. We feel for Arty and cringe as she trusts everyone she meets.

Unfortunately, the “Thriller” aspect of this, the person trapped in the room, trying to get out, is a letdown. Even more, I found the pass
Joss Emmerton
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Faultless. Beautiful story, so many lovable characters. Very original storyline. Loved it from beginning to end, not at all disappointed by the outcome like I so often am. 10/10 from me. I will miss you Arty!
Hannah
May 05, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.75 stars. I really enjoyed this ARC and I can't put my finger on why I can't give it a higher rating. I'm just going with my gut on this one - I may read more Emily Barr in the future though.
Heather Howarth
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in one day and really enjoyed it. I enjoyed reading about Arty facing her fears of the outside world after life in the Clearing and finding her place in the world. Her feelings of bemusement and her need to understand the modern world were well portrayed.

I felt for her and Zeus as they tried to work out how to mould themselves to this new world and deal emotionally with the loss of all that was familiar to them.

The author develops some difficult themes - addiction (to social me
Graine Milner
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thanks to NetGalley for an ARC of this book - I loved 'The One Memory of Flora Banks' so was very excited to read this.

Artemis was born in a forest in India, part of a small community isolated (by choice) from the outside world - until something terrible happens, and she has to leave. Like Flora, Artemis is quite naive, and her exploration of the larger world is sweet, although tinged with sadness about the events that brought her there. A clever dual narrative from a character not identified un
Kathleen Dixon
Apr 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kathleen by: the Bookshop
It's been done before and from lots of different viewpoints - Robinson Crusoe and Lost Horizon's Shangri-La, to name just a couple of the most famous making-do-with-none-of-the-mod-cons novels or hidden-paradise novels, and a recent favourite New Zealand teen-read of my own in Shooting Stars - for some reason there's a person or a community that has little or no contact with the outside world and then suddenly everything changes. I have to say that, shockingly, I've never read the former two boo ...more
Sara Oxton
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Girl Who Came Out Of The Woods by Emily Barra five-star read you will want to seek out. I have read a few books by this author and enjoyed them, this one seemed to have more depth and kept me guessing a lot longer, I honestly don’t know what to write as its one of those where if I put the wrong thing, I feel it would spoil the story for you, there are details that if I had known at first It wouldn’t have been as good a read, so buy the book, suspend reality and just enjoy the reading.
Hayley
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This is the first book that I have read by Barr and it most certainly won't be the last!

We meet Artemis (or Arty) who lives with her mother Venus in The Clearing - a small commune of just 12 people in India. Arty has only ever met 11 other people and has never been to the outside world.

When her small world is shattered Arty has to leave her sanctuary and go into the world she has always feared and never wanted enter. Her mission is to find a woman in London called Tania who used to live in The C
Marjorie
May 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was such a captivating book that I found completely sucked me in to it's world. With a varied, to say the very least, cast of characters and settings it genuinely takes you on both a literal and figurative journey. I did find it a little heavy handed in places and that some of the themes were laboured upon a little too much for my taste but it was, overall, a cracking good read.

There are two parallel stories being told here. One is in flashback to an unnamed person trapped in a basement and
Caroline Kerdouci
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
The girl who came out of the woods is an or unusual tale of a young girl Artemis who has spent her entire life in a closed matriarchal community somewhere in India and suddenly comes face to face with the real world. I didn’t realise this is marketed as a YA thriller because I rarely take too much notice of the finer details of a synopsis but having read this I would class it more as a mystery with a few unexpected twists along the way. Without giving away huge chunks of the storyline, the autho ...more
Mandy
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
In the mid-to-late 1990s it seemed like everybody was checking out, some more than others. In a resurgence of 60's hippie culture, New Age travellers and other likeminded individuals were rejecting the millennium and all that it brought and going off-grid. I've often wondered what became of those people, the ones who simply disappeared and speculated about the lives of the children that grew up in cults and alternative communities.

Emily Barr's The Girl Who Came Out of the Woods begins in one suc
Jessi-Lee
May 31, 2019 rated it did not like it
This was my first Emily Barr book. I was excited to get to read a really gripping YA Thriller, but that wasn't what I got. This book is not a thriller in any sense of the word. I would call The Girl who came out of the woods, a coming of age story, maybe with a touch of drama, but definitely not a thriller.

This book was slow to start and had a confusing mix of first and third-person perspectives. I found the dialogue forced and stilted. It was hard to tell who was talking as every character soun
Georgina
Jun 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Arty has spent her whole life in the clearing, with her British mum, Indian dad, and the rest of their international community. They've shunned the outside world, choosing to live without money, without social media, without the war and drugs and evil that Arty believes fills the outside world. She is perfectly happy where she is, thank you very much.

Until one day, she has to leave.

Now, I have to admit, despite the YA tag I was expecting something quite dark and sinister. And yes, there is an
Stacey
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
Thank you to NetGalley and the publishers for providing me with a copy in exchange for an honest review.

"The new YA thriller from the acclaimed author of The One Memory of Flora Banks.

I've been trapped here for days. What if I die here?

Arty has always lived in the Clearing, a small settlement in
Amy Rush Da Silva
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review-books
WOW! Is the first thing I should say about this book. I absolutely LOVED IT! I have read all of Emily Barr's other works of YA Fiction but I have to say The Girl Who Came Out Of The Woods is by far my favourite. It is truly faultless and had everything you could want in a YA Thriller/Mystery. To be honest I am still thinking about it to this day and I finished reading it a few weeks ago - that's how good it was!

The overall plot, in my eyes was pure perfection. I feel that a lot of research must
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Emily Barr worked as a journalist in London, but always hankered after a quiet room and a book to write. She went travelling for a year, writing a column in the Guardian about it as she went, and it was there that she had an idea for a novel set in the world of backpackers in Asia. This became Backpack, which won the WH Smith New Talent Award. She has since written eleven more adult novels publish ...more