Start by marking “Embracing the Dragon (The Flames of Kalleen, #1)” as Want to Read:
Embracing the Dragon (The Flames of Kalleen, #1)

Embracing the Dragon

(The Flames of Kalleen #1)

Can a human heart withstand the flames of a dragon’s soul?

For centuries, the dragons of Kalleen have ruled the skies. Blessed by the goddess of fire, those born of her power are destined to exist within two worlds, while fully belonging to neither.

As the youngest daughter of the dragon queen, Amelia has always been torn between her humanity and winged form. In meeting
Published July 28th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Embracing the Dragon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Embracing the Dragon

Start your review of Embracing the Dragon (The Flames of Kalleen, #1)
D.M.
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Audiobook Review

I listened to this in a day. The narrator has an engaging voice and I found it easy to get on with my activities while enjoying the story.

Kalleen is the youngest daughter of the dragon queen. When her sister takes the throne. Kalleen is sent away. She looses her home and her boyfriend, but the fate her sister has set upon her is worse than both.

Kalleen escapes and her eyes are open to a new world. One not protected by her royal blood. Once the truth is seen you can’t go back.
Lekeisha
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook
I absolutely loved this story. New author for me. Loved her writing style and this world of Dragon shifters that she has created. I was drawn in from the first word and hated when the story came to an end.
Amelia is a strong and loving character who overcomes the betrayal of her own sister, the Queen. She fights for the people of her kingdom once she accepts how cruel her sister has become.
Good action, suspense, twists and turns and romance.
The narrator was so good. Loved her voice and accent.
Dorothy Kirby
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Absolutely recommend Embracing the Dragon. K.L. Bone is a gifted young author. Her writing style could be described as "down to earth". She uses words like other artists use paint to show a story or a moment in time.
Amelia and Connor are a great couple. They share a unique gift and understanding of who they are both inside and out. The understanding and love they have for each other, to me, is the ideal of a good relationship.
All and all, this is a great fantasy story. I am eagerly awaiting the
John Mattson
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Embracing the Dragon:

A new book by one of my favorite authors K.L. Bone. This book is slightly different then her previous books, as it deals with Shifters - or those humans able to shift into Dragons. Brings back all my favorite stories as a child with Knights, Dragons, Damsels in Distress, Love, fear, power struggles... It is everything I love, yet it has K.L. Bone's unique epic twists I so love to read.

Opens with the impending coronation of the new queen and the story centers around her
D.C.
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What can I say except thank you KL Bone for yet ANOTHER sleepless night. I’m going to have to start sending you my coffee bill. I suppose it’s my fault for starting one of her novels before bed. I still haven’t learned my lesson.

The story immediately drew me in. There was something to the way Bone describes that is elaborate yet understated. It’s enough that you are drawn in but not bored by rambling.

Amelia was a perfect leading lady. Yes she had her faults but they only made her tougher. They
Kirstian Semprevivo
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

I guess it has just been a lucky month for me where books are concerned.

Just like the with last book I read and reviewed I finished this book in TWO DAYS.

Embracing the Dragon was an intriguing read that pulled me in and wouldn’t let go until I finished it. I have always been a sucker for anything involving dragons, so dragon sifters were a definite attention grabber. I found myself having to force myself to put my Kindle down so that I could get
Shayay
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Listened on Audible. The narrator’s accent was lovely. Her voice really fit the story and she gave an excellent performance.

Well-written and I loved the dragon shifter aspect. This is a pretty depressing book for the majority of the story, but the story did pull me in; I just would’ve liked a bit more happy. If you read the premise, you know things aren’t going to go very well for Amelia, so the whole beginning of the story I was cringing because I knew it would be brutal. Amelia’s sister is a
Katy Rose
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Andrea Stewart
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is to date the most amazing dragon shifter book I have read! I fell head over heels in love with K.L Bone and her Black Rose Series! This book did not disappoint in any way!

The main characters in this story shift into dragons of different shades and colors! I love that they have the freedom to soar across the sky whenever they want! The freedom of doing that would be amazing, and reading about it in this book is just like experiencing it, the writing is that great!

I am a huge fan of the
D.C.
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Prepare for coffee requirements

Amelia was a perfect leading lady. Yes she had her faults but
Toula
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Audio review
Love this audio . First time I heard from both the author and narrator.
The author knows how to draw you in the story and keep you listening till the end . There is a lot of suspense and background story in it. The story is full of intriguing little things that make it into the whole story .
Heroine is Amelia , who is a dragon shifter . Half dragon , half human .
Amelia is hurt from hurtful acts from her sister , the future queen , to top it off her sister wants the same man Amelia
Sophie Koufes
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Audiobook review:
Embracing the Dragon (The Flames Of Kaleen, Book 1)

Author K.L.Bone created a vivid cosmos with well detailed world building descriptions & settings. I absolutely love dragon shifter novels and this is one of my all time new favourites. Character's creations are canny, cliquish, complex, & eloquent. An array of characters including damsels in distress, dragons, knights, a princess, & a queen. A magnum opus piece of literary works with epic landscapes & scenes.
Ashley Dawn
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book from the start. Amelia is the younger sister so she never anticipated life changing from her. Her sister was to be queen. She was going to go forward with life and her love as it had been. Except, that isn't the plan the new queen has for her. The narrator did a great job at conveying feelings. My only issue was the pacing was a bit slow for me.

The dragon shifter aspect of it was amazing. I loved that! Amelia has such a crushing time of it at the start, I felt so terrible for
Gen Aljoe
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful read

I really enjoyed reading this dragon shifter story. Princess Amelia is happy being the younger sister of the queen who can enjoy her life without all of the politics of the crown until she is betrayed by her sister and her lover. Amelia sets out on a journey or discovery which is filled with heartache and betrayal and loss. As her character grows she realizes she is much more than just the younger sister to the evil queen. She has what it takes to save her kingdom and it's people.
Sherry Christenson
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I think I’m in a book coma I don’t even know what to say! This’s tory had me so engrossed I actually bought the kindle version of Releasing the Dragon Book 2 to read when I couldn’t listen to this one. I love this story, the storyline itself is so well thought out and creative and their are so many amazing characters characters. I don’t want to give any spoilers but this book has it all. Well written in vivid detail right down to the taste of the wine. The narration is perfect. Kylie Stewart ...more
Amber Niebaum
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this dragon shifter story. KL Bone made a fantastic new world and I would love to spend more time in it. The main character goes through so much betrayal yet she still can't believe her people when they tell her how they are suffering and of all the injustices happening. Meanwhile, she ends up meeting her mate which is another great story by itself. In the end let me just say I love a heroine who can kick butt. I look forward to reading more from Bone. The narrator in this story ...more
Jocelyne
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was my first K.L. Bone's book, and won't be the last. This is the first book in the Flames of Kalleen Series. Embracing the Dragon is a great dragon shifter story. The world building is fantastic. The storyline is original, fast-paced, twisted, and captivating. I love Amelia. She is a strong and beautiful character. The other characters are also great. The scenery is wonderful. Now, I can't wait for the next book in the Series, Releasing the Dragon. Kylie Stewart has a beautiful soft voice, ...more
Ginger
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am reviewing Embracing the Dragon by K.L. Bone and narrated by Kylie Stewart for @Audiobook Obsession.
This is my first book by this author and I loved it.
The story is of tragedy, betrayal, love loss and love gained.
How one sisters cruelty can cause another sister to go against all she believes in to right the wrongs her sibling provoked. Also to realize that the man she loved only used her to further his own gain, by betraying her with her sister.
Jutta
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This story and these characters were beautifully brought to life by Kylie Stewart.

I found it to be a really interesting story. The idea behind the whole thing is not one I have come across in this way before. The customs of the world intrigued me. I loved watching Amelia as she worked through everything that was thrown at her. I spent time cheering her on in my head. It's a great start to a series.
Annabelle
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow!!

I absolutely loved this story! Amelia is amazing. My heart went out to her after what her sister did to her. I couldn’t believe Stephan either. That was very frustrating. I loved Chris she had such a big heart. And Conner was amazing! I can’t wait to read the following book! This book is definitely a must read especially if you like dragons!
Nancie
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a fantastic Dragon shifter story! Amelia is the second born princess in a country where the queen reigns supreme. When her mother dies, the older sister seeks to get rid of her so she will not be challenged. Follow her through heartbreak and sorrow as she tries to live as an exile, only to find she is needed more than ever in a country she thought she would never return to.
Victoria Haugen
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow. I loved this book so much! Amazing. I was swept away from the first words to the last! The way the story unfolded, the non-stop suspense, the beautifully written and narrated story... I really really enjoyed it. The narration really brought the beautiful writing to life. I can't wait to read Book 2!

Seriously good. You're welcome ;)
Brooke
Aug 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book will bring you into the world of Dragon shifters and will leave you asking for more.
Melissa Hayden
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-romance
Dragon shifters, love, fantasy world. Yum!
Sophy Sorn
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My first KL Bone and I loved it!! The cliffhanger is driving me insane so off to book 2.
Brianna Belbin
This was a really good start to a new dragon shifter series! Amelia is the youngest daughter from the previous dragon queen which leaves her torn between her humanity and dragon form. When she met Stephen, she gave up the battle and focused on her love for him, but unfortunately her sister has her sights set on him as well. The story starts off with Amelia’s sister’s coronation which the queen chooses to sentence her to the temple to be a voice for the gods, a fate worse than death. She disobeys ...more
Rachel Hysell
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing Author

A amazing read. The author is so down to earth with her writing. Every word keeps you hooked and not able to stop till you get to the end and you still want it to continue!! Cannot wait to read the next book!!
Vesper Vesper
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it

See this review and more by clicking the logo!

Coming across Embracing the Dragon, I was intrigued enough to step outside my comfort zone of the Young Adult genre and read a Fantasy Romance story that is obviously about dragons. Much like I said before, I love stories with dragons and even though I was a bit nervous to read something in the adult Romance section, I dove face first into the pages.

Amelia is a headstrong character. She knows what she wants and breaks through obstacles despite
Valerie Roberson
Aug 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review
Wow! This book made me want to be a dragon shifter even more then before!
K L Bone has a way of making you see yourself in her work, her storyline. As I read about Amelia and her beautiful inner dragon, I wanted to be just like her. Maybe not a Princess like she is, cause if I had a sister like hers, I’d dethrone her myself. But to be free and be able to loose yourself as you fly in the night air. Amelia is a rare kind of dragon, born of the night instead of the day. Because of this, her
Felicia
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Embracing The Dragon by K.L. Bone is book one in the Flames Of Kalleen Series that I listened to on audio narrated by Kylie Stewart. This is the first book by K.L that I have read and it definitely won’t be my last one. She does an amazing job pulling you into the story. Kylie did an amazing job narrating. She uses different voices for the characters which made it easy to follow along. The book does end on a cliffhanger but book two Releasing The Dragon is already released. I would recommend ...more

• Daughter of Death (Dark Provenance)
  • The Dryad's Pawprint (The Paranormal Council)
  • Claiming the Dragon King (The Elite Guards #2)
  • If She's Wicked (Wicked Knights #1)
  • Dear Maude (The Dear Maude Trilogy #1)
  • Becoming his Monster (Playing with Monsters, #3)
  • The Vixen's Bark
  • The Winter Court (The Elite Guards #3)
  • Magic Harvest (Fairy Trafficking, #1)
  • Words We Never Speak
  • The Fine Line Between Love and Hate: The Complete Series
  • Magic Heist (Fairy Trafficking, #2)
  • Permission To Breathe Denied
  • Phoenix (Prophecy, #1)
  • Blood Laws (Immortal Curse #1)
  • Nightworld Academy: Term Two
  • Shadow Walker (Bloody Hearts, #1)
  • Death Before Dawn (Guardian's Diary, #2)
K.L. Bone is the author of the bestselling Black Rose Guard dark fantasy series. The Rise of the Temple Gods fantasy series. And a stand-alone science fiction novel, The Indoctrination.

Bone has a master’s degree in modern literary cultures and is working toward her PhD.. She wrote her first short story at the age of fifteen and grew up with an equally great love of both classical literature and

The Flames of Kalleen (2 books)
  • Releasing The Dragon (The Flames of Kalleen #2)