Start by marking “10 Things I Can Do to Help My World” as Want to Read:
10 Things I Can Do to Help My World

10 Things I Can Do to Help My World

Even young children are eager to help the environment — and here is a bright, inviting novelty book that offers simple ways to make a difference.

Do you remember to turn off the tap while you brush your teeth? How about using both sides of the paper when writing and drawing? Or planting seeds and nurturing the new plants as they grow? Bold, child-friendly illustrations and
Published August 26th 2008 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about 10 Things I Can Do to Help My World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 10 Things I Can Do to Help My World

Start your review of 10 Things I Can Do to Help My World
Danni Green
Jan 20, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: r4k, l4ch
If you're going to claim that these actions help the world, you need to back it up with science. Some of these seem highly questionable (feeding wild birds in the winter?). Others are just flat-out ableist (walk instead of drive) and/or presume access to material resources that many readers won't have. The tone of the book comes off as preachy and discourages independent inquiry. I'm all for saving the planet but if you're going to advocate for this kind of action, you gotta do it responsibly.
Kristin
Oct 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Some of you know me as "The Trashy Librarian" because--despite what the rest of you are thinking--I love to collect and reuse all kinds of recycled goods for my library programs. It's thus not all that surprising that I LOVE THIS BOOK! This is a really important subject for children, and this book is all-around fabulous. It is visually appealing and cleverly designed, and the simple text is clear and inspiring. This is a must-read for all children pre-school through elementary school!
June
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Young environment requests
Recommended to June by: elissa
A very simple, but visually dramatic help the environment book. Elissa said she used it in a young Earth Day program and it was checked out afterwards.
Fjóla
I thought some of the ten examples weren't the best one could have though of, but this book is VERY cleverly designed with interesting and exciting die-cuts, and it's all made of recycled material. The illustrations are cute and engaging and feature mixed media that give it a very real and practical feel. Even the typesetting is quite clever. But the best thing is probably that it's so simple that it can be easily be shared with preschoolers or even toddlers.
Roxanne Hsu Feldman
What a well-conceived and fabulously executed picture book nonfiction for the very young set. (I do wonder about some of the "wasted" paper that got cut away to make those flip-the-flap pages...) The writing is aptly simplistic with a factual sentence explaining why behind each of the 10 things that anyone can do to "save the world." Excellent offering on a hot and trendy (and very important) topic.
Jackie
7. Making Toys from Recycled Products
8. Walk Instead of Drive
9. Plant Seeds
10. Sort Recycling

Why do we do all these things? Because we love the world.

Used for "Go Green!" storytime: April, 2011.
Heather Muzzy
Sep 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Love the muted natural dye-like colors in a rare but needed non-fiction for the youngest readers. The small print words are great for older kids and even some of the parents that need reasons to switch old habits.

I usually expect a book like this to have one last page geared at the parents such as more kid-level tips, some statistic or links to related topic websites.
elissa
May 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
I used this at an "April"-themed storytime (to represent Earth Day) last month, and it went over really well. One of the moms immediately asked to check it out. Very simple, but extremely well done.
Scout Collins
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-for-kids
Waited so long for this book from the library! SOO LONG. I was checking every day to see if it arrived! (I am looking for kids' books on the environment for a project.)

Overall, the book was colourful and nicely illustrated with flaps - I didn't realize there would be flaps on every page.

The small actions kids can take to help the world listed here are a nice start for young children, maybe 3-6 year olds. More complex/effort-involved solutions could be used for age 7-9 children. This book is
Chelsea
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I would like to begin by stating that I thoroughly enjoyed this book and shall be reading it during story time at some point in the future! WOOT WOOT! I particularly enjoyed when each of the ten things to help the world were initially mentioned, a fact about why the world would be helped because of (insert one of the 10 Things I Can Do to Help My World here) was provided.

This book is, without a doubt, one of the best ways to introduce ideas to children about how they can help the world. Just
NayDoubleU
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very attractive for children with due the the non-conventional pages and lots of fun facts! The book is 100% recycled and that is pretty cool. It's easy to understand and quick to read. Lots of lessons plans can be made throughout the book and because of that it is one of my favorites and will be in my classroom.
Erin Puskas
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this book! It is very unique in that it has cut-outs through out the book that surely would engage even a young reader. The tips included are very practical and would help a child grasp that our world is beautiful and it is our job to do our part in keeping it that way. I'm so glad I found this jem of a picture book.
Lisa Nolan
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
This is the perfect picture book to introduce how to be friendly to the environment to children ages 2 to 3 and up. The pictures are bold, with hidden surprises, and the text is simple, easy to understand, and told in first-person narrative. I highly recommend it!
Portable
This book provides a very accessible way for children to take action and act responsibly to look after our planet. Inviting, colourful illustrations make this thought-provoking book a popular choice, and a great starting point for discussions.
Heidi
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A must read for young and old alike. Simple text with a powerful message about how little things can truly help the world by reducing waste and saving resources. The left the flap and cut-away pages make the message stand out to the reader.
Anna Len
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book can teach students eco-tips and how to be mindful consumers. A good book for k-3 elementary classrooms.
Kate Mcwilliams
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a lovely book on sustainability with beautiful illustrations. It's also a great book for assemblies on sustainability!
rabi
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
one thing I really like about this book is its concise answers for the "why?" question that inevitably comes on each page.
Renee
Simple, short text, bold illustrations, and things that kids can easily identify with. Will be good for Earth Day and also 1st grade CCD class about taking care of God's creation.
Michelle Murphy
Oct 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
"10 Things I Can Do to Help My World" by Melanie Walsh is brilliant in it's simple yet effective way at showcasing the little things we can all do to better our planet for ourselves and for our future. This book is very informative and fun! The colors and pictures are bright and there are flip-tabs that you can move that will surely engage the reader(s). Simple, short sentences about things you can do that are Eco-friendly like turning of the lights when you leave a room with an explanation for ...more
Barbara
Mar 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: green-books
Even the simplest actions can help make the world a better place, and this book for very young readers describes ten things just about anyone can do to save the planet. The suggestions are placed against backgrounds of various colors with vivid accompanying acrylic illustrations and different sized edges. When you lift a portion of the page, a suggestion is seen. For instance, the picture of a trash can is lifted up to reveal a reminder to throw away trash accompanied by an explanation for why ...more
Kristin
Apr 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
-Book is made from 100% recycled materials
-Illustrations are smooth, soothing, and appealing
-Book is written as an affirmation (I will...)
-Book is designed with flaps that reveal the answer to the affirmation (I will...feed the birds in the winter)
-Familiar experiences: turning off lights, turning off the water when brushing teeth, throwing away garbage in the garbage can, etc.
-Book offers practical ideas
-Opportunities for inquiry: What do you do at home to help our world? What can we do at
Adam
Feb 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Large full page illustrations will grab the kids attention, and the lift-the-flap format will have them fully engaged with story as the read this book. It gives, just as the title promises, ten simple things children can do... and naturally want to do... that make a difference in the environment. It is the simplest of things that add up such as making toys (ahh the beauty of an empty cereal box, markers, some scissors, and a little glue), going for walks, feeding the birds, etc.

This is one that
Grace
Apr 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is really cute. It was a book about 10 simple things anyone can do to help the world. Even though the book focused on simple reminders that we all know like, turn your lights off when you leave the room and turn the water off after you brush your teeth, it gives you a very specif reason why you should do it. For example, the book says if you turn the water off when you are brushing your teeth you can save 18 glasses of water. This book touched on very important issues but made the ...more
Jane G Meyer
Great little book to get kids thinking and doing basic things that help keep our world cleaner, safer and greener. Feed the birds in the winter, walk to school, turn off the tap when you brush your teeth... those are three of the suggestions. What makes this book so fun is the very simple text inside a very clever presentation. The page layouts allow the child to turn the page to reveal the basic message of each of the ten things. The style of illustration is bright and whimsical...

It's the
(NS) Lisa
Do you remember to turn off the tap while you brush your teeth? How about using both sides of the paper when writing and drawing? Or planting seeds and nurturing the new plants as they grow? This book offers young children many ways that they can help the world around them. It would be a great introduction to a unit on environmental studies. The friendly illustrations and die-cut pages will guide students in ways that they can be kinder to the earth. The appealing visuals and large pictures make ...more
babyhippoface
Turning off lights when you leave the room and the faucet when brushing, feeding birds in winter, using both sides of the paper, and planting seeds are among the suggestions given in this simple but striking ecology book for kids. Paintings are large and blocky with the margins of several pages cut away to match the borders of different objects (a tree, a sink, a light bulb's rays, and more). The 10 suggestions are printed in an extra-large font ("I can plant seeds and help them grow") with an ...more
Kristen
Hooray for non-fiction for the earliest learners! This book has fun flaps to lift, bright colors, and best of all, short sentences about really simple, understandable, important ideas, like "I use both sides of a piece of paper" or "I remember to turn off the light when I leave a room." Each idea has an added, easy explanation like "Turning off lights and using more efficient lightbulbs saves valuable energy" but these are worked into the art as an extra "here's why" for the grown-ups or for ...more
Chantia Singleton
I would use this book specifically in the beginning of the school year to stress "taking care of our classroom-world." We would discuss engaging in environmentally friendly behavior. I would keep it in the science area but bring it out during lessons dealing with recycling. We could have a large group discussion about how they are implementing the practices listed in the book at home and as a fun group activity, we could wear gloves and go for a walk and pick up trash items from our street or ...more
Dominique Maderitz
I really loved this book by Melanie Walsh. I do appreciate books with story plots but I also find great value in children's book that teaches a child something innovative and important. This story does a brilliant job discussing the importance of keeping the world unpolluted and in good health. This book has fun and cute pictures that are exiting to flip over and enjoy. I think with the boring meaning of the book the author did a ideal job making the message interesting and enjoyable for ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Boy-Crazy Stacey
  • The Wolf, the Duck, and the Mouse
  • The Storm Whale
  • 10 Things You Can Do to Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
  • What Happens to Our Trash?
  • Recycling Materials
  • Be You!
  • Are Your Stars Like My Stars?
Melanie Walsh (born 18 July 1964) is an English writer and illustrator of children's books. She studied at Harrow School of Art and the Royal College of Art.

Walsh has published 46 works in 98 publications. Her books have been translated into nine different languages.[1]