Start by marking “Game Players” as Want to Read:
Game Players

Game Players

Unsure what to do, the children dig up the drugs and take them away. But when the dealer, who they watched bury the stash, shows up dead, the youngsters are thrown into turmoil.

Scared of what might happen, the children tell th
Published May 18th 2018 by Bloodhound Books (first published 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Game Players, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Game Players

Zoe
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gritty, menacing, and meticulous!

Game Players is a well-paced police procedural that introduces us to a ruthless mob boss, a relentless police officer, amateur criminals, flawed parents, and a tight-knit group of six innocent children whose inquisitive nature will unintentionally trigger a chain of catastrophic events that will lead to a trail of dead bodies.

The writing is dark and intense. The characters are secretive, impulsive, and in over their heads. And the complex plot told from multiple
Linda Strong
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it

They are called the Gang of Six. Six youngsters around the age of 10 or so. Friends one and all. They have fashioned a hide-away in the woods. They think they're safe since the police station is within a few minutes away.

But it's not as safe as they thought. As they sat whiling the time away, they happen to see a man burying what looks like drugs very close to their hideaway. Not sure what they should do, they decide to dig the bags up. They'll decide what to do with them later.

The next day, the
Sue
GAME PLAYERS by Anita Waller is an engaging crime fiction novel about how the lives of six children and their families can change through the consequences of their action…on one fine summer day.

When a gang of six children playing in their den in the woods spot a man burying drugs nearby, it marks the beginning of the end of their childhoods. The Gang of Six as they liked to be called include:

1)Mark Brownlow-Twin-Sole-Leader (11 years old)
2)Dominic Brownlow-Twin-Second-in-command (11 years old
Claire
The age of innocence, children running free, playing in woods, building dens over the long six week holiday from school. And then they witness one man’s actions and things never be the same again.

I loved the camaraderie between the six children. It’s a proper gang that run together, causing mischief and playing in the woods. Such a contrast with the cutthroat nature of the set up of the gangsters. The Sheffield mob are not afraid to cut one of their own loose whereas the Gang of Six have each ot
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Anita Waller is an author whose books I never quite know what to expect. She has a knack of shocking and horrifying me. Obviously I mean that in the best possible way.

The story definitely has a sense of Stand By Me by Stephen King about it. I think because the story heavily features the children characters which isn't always that usual in this genre of book. It certainly made it even more appealing.

Daryl was my favourite out of the children. He hasn't the best of home lives and he takes it upon
Philomena Callan Cheekypee
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loved-it, net-galley
When I was younger I loved reading The Famous Five and The Secret Seven. Game Player reminded me of these stories, but an adult version.

I started this book one morning and ended up reading it in one sitting. I couldn’t put it down. It’s a captivating read about how one summer can change the lives of six children and their families.

This is an engrossing read that I pretty much inhaled. I highly recommend this read and can’t wait to read more from this author.
Julie (JuJu)
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thank you again NetGalley! Six young school kids form a “Gang” and spend their time building a Den in the woods and hanging out there...just typical kid stuff. While hanging out in their Den, they spot someone hiding something in the woods. Of course they become curious and dig it up, choosing to keep it a secret. This one choice starts a chain of terrible consequences, that not all six kids make it through. After a few surprise twists, it starts getting exciting.

The ending wasn’t a big surpris
Mark Tilbury
When a gang of six children witness something from inside their den, little do they realise how much what they decide to do next, will affect all their futures.

As with other books I've read by Anita, she leads you down one path, and then, as is the case with this story, leads you a different forest path! I really liked the introductions to all six of the gang. Their personalities then shone through their relationships with each other. Each child had a role to play in the group and it reminded o
Julie Lacey
May 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a good book which centres around a group of six children who cone across some drugs in the woods, and then a dead body.
They work out a plan for the drugs but the next day when they find the body they realise they must tell the Police.
The Police start investigating the death of the local man but the children still have the drugs hidden.
I understand they were unsure what to do but the loss of these drugs gets some nasty people interested in them and soon disaster strikes.
This is a good
Yvonne
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Well the synopsis definitely did the job for me, it did not however prepare me for the journey contained within its pages and the emotions I would go through reading this story. Be prepared to put everything on hold when you pick up this book, for me it was a “one sitting read” a book that I could not put down.

The six children are a close-knit group and it was great to read a story about a group playing outside, making dens and basically building the bonds of a strong friendship. They definitely
Pat
Sep 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Another catch up. Oh dear there are so many but I'm determined to do it. One day I'll thank myself when I'm ancient and can't afford to buy books any more and I'll be looking through what I have to see what's worth reading again.

A group of six kids, 9-11 years old are whiling away the summer days In a little hideout they have built in the little woods near their homes and, incidentally, the police station. The hideout is very well hidden. One afternoon they see a man burying a rucksack nearby? I
Between The Pages Book Club (Gemma M)
WOW! ANITA HAS DONE IT AGAIN. What a bloody brilliant, outstanding, captivating story. This has to be a new favourite author for me, she just knows how to hook me left, right and centre! Loved Game Players. Anita comes up with the best stories I promise you. After Captor I had high hopes but this tops it!

A well deserved five stars from me and highly recommend. Game Players will be going into my top 20 of 2018! Brilliantly written, a fast paced read which is easy to devour. Brilliant. Would love
Maureen
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Six children playing outside in the woods see a man burying a package. They recover the package, only to discover it contains drugs. Many people begin to search for the missing package and before the end of the novel, several people have died. This is one that held my interest. I appreciate the publisher and Net Galley for the opportunity to be an early reader in exchange for my fair and unbiased review.
May 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Once again the author delivers a story so twisted it is brilliant. Fantastic characters and a story that doesn't let up ,you couldn't ask for more .
Joanna Park
May 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the first book by Anita Waller I have read and I’m pleased to say I really enjoyed it.

It’s what I would  describe as a gentle thriller as I felt it was more character than action driven.  It reminded me a little of the film stand by me, as it had a touch of a coming of age story to it.

I loved the setting of the woods.  I grew up playing in the woods and making dens with my friends so I enjoyed the descriptions of the children’s innocent games as it took me back to my childhood. The Gang
Marija
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Well this is my second book by Anita Waller and I really enjoyed reading it.
The story begins with the introduction of the gang of six children who have a den in the woods where one day they see a man hiding bag of cocaine in the ground, later they find a young man dead... it is a story filled with twists and turns that keeps you on toes and doesn't let you stop reading.
All characters were very well built, bad ones are evil and easy to dislike them, on the other hand children are realistic and th
Alexina
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Having read Anita Wallers previous books, I was looking forward to delving in to Game Players, and stupidly started it late at night, with an outing the next day.
I stayed up way to late reading a good 50% of this addictive read and Waller totally floored me!
I really enjoyed the Enid Blyton feel and the innocence of the six children, childhood is so short, but it is shortened quicker by their curious minds, this really was a childhood summer that changed them for ever.
A thoroughly engrossing r
Lindsey Gandhi
This was my first book by Anita Waller. You have a group of kids, friends, doing what all kids should do over the summer - playing. Until they witness a crime and their lives get flipped upside down as they try to do the right thing. It's a situation no kid should be put in. It's a nice story about friendship and a community shook up from drugs and murders. I kept waiting for a big twist or turn in the story. Something to make this more of a thriller than just a decent story about friendship, mu ...more
LJ (On The Shelf Reviews)
Mark, Dominic, Freya, Ella, Daryl and Sammy call themselves The Gang of Six, they meet up in the woods every day and play in their den. One day they spot local drug dealer Vinnie Walmsley bury some drugs. They can’t leave the drugs where they are so they dig them up. Unfortunately for them the people who Vinnie was minding the drugs for want them back and will stop at nothing for them to be returned.

This book has lots of gasp out loud moments and plenty that will make you a little weepy too (it
Diane Hogg
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Well Anita Waller has managed to fulfil all my expectations and more in her new book Game players. It utterly amazes me how she can give the sense of shock and horror in one foul swoop, it sends tingles through my spine every time I delve into Anita’s imaginative storylines.

Game Players, 6 children, a stack of buried drugs and a murdered man, the lives of these 6 children is never going to be the same again. After the children decide to hide the drugs, their lives pummel into a uncontrollable sp
Simon Leonard
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book of Anita's I have read and, although it wasn't as fast paced as most of the books I read, was still an enjoyable read and I will be looking out for more of Anita's books in the future.

The book revolves around a group of children finding some drugs and then what happens afterwards.

All of the characters are very well described and I loved the fact that the Gang of Six are all very protective of each other and enjoy playing as a gang.  The author really made me feel for the
Heather Withington
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Many thabks to Netgalley and the publisher for sending me this book in return for an unbiased review.

A thoroughly engaging and intriguing read that I devoured very quickly. The story was a little difficult to get through at times and dealt with a hard set of topics, despite the gentile start. However, the characters were well rounded and I felt a wide range of emotions for certain characters who were brought to the front at around the 70% mark. There are a few twists and turns that I did not see
Debra
Jun 08, 2018 rated it liked it
I have read several of Anita Waller's books and thought very highly of them. In fact, they were outstanding. I was disappointed by this one. The story of six close-nit neighborhood children, drugs, and murder intrigued me, but the book really didn't hold my interest and I nearly gave up several times. There were a couple of little twists, but just not an exciting read for me. I did want to know what happened in the end which is why I continued. The end did not come through and was not exciting. ...more
Joann
Here we go again with what I consider a "so so mystery." It started out pretty well and the plot did carry you along without any let down. For me, the problem came with the what I considered a pretty hefty body count of innocents. This is a first time for me in reading about a group of not yet teens and their devotion to each other was remarkable. It had a few good twists but all in all, it isn't worthy of a 5 star. I'm giving it a 3.5 star. It is a mystery you might enjoy and then again, if you ...more
Sandra
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the first book by Anita Waller that I have read and, at first, I thought I had strayed into Enid Blyton territory with the gang of children in their den in the woods. However, this echo of a more innocent time does not last; very soon the children will come to the attention of ruthless criminals, and they will have to grow up fast. Well written with convincing characters and a tense plot, Game Players will keep you reading late into the night. Thanks to Bloodhound Books and NetGalley for ...more
J.A. Baker
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great police procedural thriller by Anita Waller. The characters are really well drawn and the bad guys are truly awful. I love the way the author didn't shy away from the most grisly of subjects, giving the reader plenty to get their teeth into. I would definitely read another by this author and highly recommend Game Players. Five stars from me!
Donna Maguire

I have read two of the authors previous books and I devoured them so as soon as I heard that she was releasing this one I knew I wanted to get a copy - and then as soon as I saw the cover and read the blurb I was desperate to get started!!

I loved this book, the pace was great, the characters were spot on and I love her fantastic writing style it is so suited for this genre and I was riveted to the story as soon as I picked up this book! It has twists and t
Kath Middleton
May 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
The main protagonists in this story are children and the whole thing hinges upon a decision they make early on. There are characters in the book who become entangled in the story later, and we can see what a web it makes. Anita Waller tells a good story and I enjoy her writing style. This one is an intriguing idea. I feel it’s let down a little by the dialogue of the nine to eleven year olds which didn’t sound like those I know. I realise you have to make this dialogue coherent, punctuated as it ...more
Greta Halliday
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was my first book written by this author and I was not disappointed, in fact I was hooked from the first to last page. I was captivated by the storyline, the easy style of writing and the fast pace of this thriller. A must read for all crime .lovers. Thanks to Bloodhound Books and Netgalley for giving me the opportunity to read this outstanding book.
Sue Ross
May 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another stunning Thriller from Anita Waller! This story revolves around children and the dramatic consequences of their actions on one fateful day, whilst they were playing in the woods. They say curiosity killed the cat. The repercussions from that day will severely impact each child and their family. I usually struggle a bit when children are the main characters in an Adult Thriller, but the author engaged me with her writing, so I actually related to each character as a person, not just as a ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Key to Death's Door
  • Stalker
  • The Placebo Effect (Junction Chronicles #1)
  • Moment of Impact
  • The Dying Place (DI Murphy and DS Rossi, #2)
  • Prey (Jefferson Winter, #3)
  • The Silent Girls (Detective Anna Gwynne, #1)
  • Tuesday Falling
  • Joe Victim (Cleaner, #2)
  • Ward Zero: The Dead Ward
  • The Geneva Decision (Sabel Security #1)
  • Last Light (Detective Lucy Harwin #3)
  • Ice and a Slice
  • Environmentally Friendly
  • Hard Prejudice (Dan Reno, #5)
  • A Dangerous Man (Elvis Cole #18; Joe Pike #7)
  • The Orphan Sisters
  • Overkill (Sam Shephard, #1)
I live in Sheffield, UK. I am retired and have recently fulfilled my lifelong ambition of becoming a published author with Bloodhound Books.
I am married (almost 50 years to Dave) with three children and seven grandchildren.
I am a patchwork and quilting tutor as well as a writer.
My first book was Beautiful and my second, a sequel to Beautiful, is called Angel.