Start by marking “The Kingdom of Copper (The Daevabad Trilogy, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Kingdom of Copper (The Daevabad Trilogy, #2)

The Kingdom of Copper

(The Daevabad Trilogy #2)

4.42  ·  Rating details ·  17,344 ratings  ·  2,438 reviews
Return to Daevabad in the spellbinding sequel to THE CITY OF BRASS.

Nahri’s life changed forever the moment she accidentally summoned Dara, a formidable, mysterious djinn, during one of her schemes. Whisked from her home in Cairo, she was thrust into the dazzling royal court of Daevabad and quickly discovered she would need all her grifter instincts to survive there.

Now, wi
Hardcover, UK Edition, 625 pages
Published February 21st 2019 by HarperVoyager (first published January 22nd 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The Kingdom of Copper, please sign up.
S.A. Chakraborty Thanks for your question! The Daevabad Trilogy is adult fantasy. I think there's plenty of cross-over appeal for YA readers, particularly in The City …moreThanks for your question! The Daevabad Trilogy is adult fantasy. I think there's plenty of cross-over appeal for YA readers, particularly in The City of Brass, but the main characters are in their twenties.

As a heads up, there is more violence, including a few fairly grim scenes, in The Kingdom of Copper that might not be appropriate for young teens, but I think readers know best what kind of material they want to consume.(less)
Sara I would say the second book ends on a significant cliffhanger. While a few things are "resolved," at least one important character's whereabouts and w…moreI would say the second book ends on a significant cliffhanger. While a few things are "resolved," at least one important character's whereabouts and well-being are left unknown. The story ends in the midst of a lot of destruction without waiting for the dust to settle, so to speak. I am definitely waiting hungrily for Book Three!(less)

·  17,344 ratings  ·  2,438 reviews

Start your review of The Kingdom of Copper (The Daevabad Trilogy, #2)
Melanie

ARC provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

1.) The City of Brass ★★★★★

“It is time we get some vengeance for what they have done.”

Friends, this was such a phenomenal installment that was such a treat to read. This is an own voices Muslim Fantasy series, and a historical setting of the early 1800s, which barely touches upon the Ottoman Empire. And The Kingdom of Copper picks up five years after the events of The City of Brass

This is a story about djinn
Charlotte May
This was so good! Cannot wait for Book 3!!!

“Pragmatic. Heartless. That’s how you survive in this place. It’s how I’ve survived everything.”

What a fantastic sequel! A fantasy full of magic and political intrigue with long held grudges and feuds all coming to a head.

3 POVs. Nahri, Ali and Dara - I didn’t love Dara’s chapters all that much, but I understood they were crucial to the plot.

Nahri is married to Muntadhir and hating life. Meanwhile Ali’s father runs the show like a dictator controlli
Aimal (Bookshelves & Paperbacks)

Please note this review contains spoilers for the first book in the series.

A big thank you to Harper Voyager for sending me a copy for review!

The sequel to S. A. Chakraborty’s magnificent The City of Brass largely takes place five years after the events of the first book. There’s a prologue at the beginning, detailing the immediate aftermath for each of our three main characters. However, the major bulk of the novel takes place several years after Darayavahoush’s ‘death,’ Alizaydi al Qahtani’s p
Will Byrnes
Can you ever make a new world that properly addresses the wounds of the past? - from Lightspeed interview
The Kingdom of Copper is the second in S.A. Chakraborty’s Daevabad Trilogy, and it must be trying harder, as the first was amazing and this one is at least as good. I suppose you might pick this book up and have an entirely fine time reading it, but I would not advise it. If you have not read the first one, The City of Brass, jump on your flying carpet and dash off to your local bookstore. (
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
$1.99 Kindle sale, Feb. 21, 2020. 4.5 stars! Excellent sequel to The City of Brass, a near-Eastern inspired fantasy. I liked it even better than the first book, but you do need to read The City of Brass before this one.

Final review, first posted on Fantasy Literature:

The Kingdom of Copper, the second book in S.A. Chakraborty’s DAEVABAD TRILOGY, picks up soon after the ending of the first book, The City of Brass. Alizayd (Ali) al Qahtani, younger son of Ghassan, the king of Daevabad, has been ex
Angelica
me coming to the realization that I'll have to wait a whole year to know what happens next:

Seriously though! How date this book end like that? Who does it think it is? What right does it have to leave me hanging on that cliff all by myself?!?!?!

On a more composed and serious note, this book was so many times better than its predecessor, The City of Brass, in so many fantastic ways.

I read The City of Brass in February and while I had some problems with it, I actually really enjoyed it. One of my
Kilikina
3.5 stars.

The Kingdom of Copper was my most anticipated book of 2019, hands down. Ever since I finished The City of Brass, I couldn’t wait to read this sequel. I was counting down the days; my anticipation for this was so high. I am so upset that I didn’t love this more... :(

The second half, more specifically the last 30% or so, was really the redeeming part of this. I really, really struggled to get through this. That’s something I NEVER anticipated.
I feel like everything I adored in The Cit
Roshani Chokshi
Chakraborty's debut, CITY OF BRASS, was one of my top 10 reads of the year. Kingdom of Copper is without a doubt in my top 5 of 2019. Sprawling and opulent, the world of Daevabad and it's fascinating magical intrigue soars to new heights in this sequel. I continue to cheer for Nahri. Dahra is conflicted and broody as ever, and Ali...Oh Ali. He is my heart. I just want him to be happy *weeps*. Chakraborty pulls every emotional string with this sequel. At its heart, it is a story of family and the ...more
Deborah Obida
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, new-adult
This is ten times better than book one. I really enjoyed reading this book, it was hard for me to put down, the writing and characters were more matured than the first book.

This book has a five year time jump, I didn't mind much, it made it easier to understand lots of things. The beginning was quite slow but things picked up later. The fight scenes were perfectly depicted.

World building and Writing
There is a major improvement in the world building department, its way better than that of book on
Clem (the villain's quest)
Instagram | youtube

4/5 shook Stars

Instagram | blog

description

WHAT DO YOU MEAN I HAVE TO WAIT A YEAR TO READ THE SEQUEL?!

RTC.
Travel.with.a.book
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
S. A. Chakraborty didn't disappoint us again, she's a freaking professional writer, her World she has created is magnificent and we've never read such a well written structure within a book! She really keeps enchanting us with her very beautiful stories, original and interesting topics!
The whole concept of the book is intense and while reading this will be very stressful and intriguing, but in a kind of way you'll love it!
The book is told from three different point of views, Nahri, Ali and Dar
Fadwa (Word Wonders)
CW: Violence, murder, excessive drinking/alcoholism, mention of self-harm, death of a few side characters, mass murder, segregation, racism, gore.

*I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange of an honest review*

Full review originally posted on my blog: Word Wonders

Question: What do you do when you read your most anticipated book ever and it turns out to be your favourite book ever?
Answer: You cry. You just cry and cry and cry.
Seriously , it’s almost been a month since
Laura ☾
Apr 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I AM NOT OKAY

__________________________

A heart-wrenching sequel, The Kingdom of Copper picks up where City of Brass left off, with Nahri, Ali, and Dara each facing their own trials, but separated from each other.

The world of Daevabad is absolutely magical and unique, Chakraborty's writing is beautiful, captivating, and the world-building is absolutely phenomenal. The twists and turns in the narrative kept me on my toes throughout this whole book.

The character development was also stunning, e
Raquel Flockhart
1. The City of Brass | ★★★★★
2. The Kingdom of Copper | ★★★★★

“You don’t stop fighting a war just because you’re losing battles, Alizayd. You change tactis.”

S.A. Chakraborty has done it again. She has created another masterpiece. I knew she was able to create an unique and impressive story because she had already done that in The City of Brass, but she has left me speechless once again with The Kingdom of Copper. I truly believe Chakraborty has taken the fantasy genre to a whole new le

Abbie (boneseasonofglass)
Yet again, I have more questions than answers

June is soooo far! Theres so much I NEED TO KNOW

description

PS I think everyone needs to know that this book caused me physical pain 😂 I actually sprained my thumb on this book because it’s so heavy and big 😂🤦🏼‍♀️
Nastassja

**This review now posted on my blog**

May I present you my first disappointment of 2019!

I don't know how but everything went wrong in this book. When I first read The City of Brass I was enchanted by its magical atmosphere and characters who swept me away into the world of djinn, flying carpets, giant water serpents and enormous talking birds. I loved everything about that world! I had zero doubt The Kingdom of Copper would deliver the same level of grandeur and will, once more, sweep me o

Theresa
May 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
HOLY FUCKING SHIT.
Adah Udechukwu
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Kingdom of Copper is undoubtedly the best novel I have read this year. The novel is rich in details, politics, religion, culture........ everything.
Kaitlin
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this one and I am super glad that I have audiobooked both of these as I think the narrator gives a more immersive look at the Egyptian-inspired culture of this world. This is a sequel so I cannot say too much about the plot, but I will say that I thoroughly enjoyed the direction this book took, and although I have some small quibbles with some of the ways that the author acted, I think it's a whole lot of fun to read through too.

Nahri is our main character throughout the series
Vishnu Chevli
I have heard a lot about "The City of Brass" and I also knew about the release of the sequel "Kingdom of Copper". But I was not aware that the review copy of the same will reach to us. I would like to thank Harper Collins India for the same. Frankly speaking, I had my reservations for this book, when I was offered a review copy in exchange for an honest review. There were two reasons for my reservations
1) I haven't read the first part. Many reviewers recommended to read it.
2) I have relatively f
Brenda Waworga
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
HOLYHELL!!

City Of Brass was one of my fav book on 2017, ive waited 1 year and 2 months to be able to read this and maaaaan... it was worthy!! It was woooow so intense and so amazing and so stressful too at the same time!!

The writing style was so enjoyable, love it from page 1 until page 609! i still cant believe this series was a debut from the author, the plot was such a masterpiece and well crafted!

Love all the 3 POVs here and i must said i never been so conflicted to choose side on book cau
♚ ember
Jan 24, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I would, like, 600% sell my soul to an ifrit to have this book in my hands right now. where are magic lamps when you need them?
Kristen Burns
4.5 Stars

Review:
*I received a copy of this book from the publisher. This has not influenced my review.*

It is such a treat to find books that are this detailed and nuanced and feel so real. The writing, the characters, the story, the world building, it all came together so perfectly and was so well done that it felt like I was reading about real people. This was one of those books that legitimately made me forget I was reading. I was just there, fully immersed in the story.

Much like in the first
Ash
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my top 10 books of 2019!

This review contains spoilers for The City of Brass.

Not to be dramatic, but The Daevabad Trilogy might just be my new all-time favorite book series. The Kingdom of Copper is a worthy successor to The City of Brass in every conceivable way. It took me longer to get through than I expected, but I blame that on my current, distracting life circumstances and not the book itself.

The City of Brass alternated between Nahri and Ali’s perspectives, and The Kingdom of Copper
Caylynn
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-release
”Are you ready?” Nahri asked when she and Muntadhir were alone.

He laughed as he strapped a wicked-looking sword to his waist. “Not in the slightest. You?”

“God, no.” Nahri grabbed another needle-sharp dagger and flipped it into her sleeve. “Let’s go die.”

I am absolutely fucking speechless right now. Very rarely in my life have I ever enjoyed the sequel of something more than its predecessor. Captain America: Winter Soldier, Percy Jackson and the Battle of the Labyrinth, Gregor and the Curse o
Beatrice in Bookland
“It is time we get some vengeance for what they have done.”

1. The city of brass ★★★★★

4.5

I'm legit still thinking about this book and I finished it days ago. Damn. What a book.
But let's start with the actual review.

I had very high expectations for The kingdom of copper - being The city of brass one of my favorite books - and let me tell you: S. A. Chakraborty did not disappoint.

Her writing style keeps being enchanting and rich but never heavy. She also brings such an original and interesting topi
Ruby
2/27/19 UPDATE

ALL THAT WAITING AND I HAVE TO SAY, IT WAS WORTH IT!

I'll make sure to add a review later, but at first glance this book takes everything that was so amazing about the first book and MAKES IT BETTER. What really blew me away about the first book was the complex characters and the dynamics between them, and let me tell you, S.A. CHAKRABORTY DID IT AGAIN! Every character is such a profound mix of good, bad, and everything in-between, and their motivations, emotions, and struggles all
Merline
Shannon put her whole foot in this book. Do yourself a favor and treat yo self to this book and these characters and this world. Pre-order this. I need time to write a full review because I'm so emotional right now. my heart is full, but I'm emotional. ahhhhh. I need book 3. I don't know how I'll survive the wait.

Update: The long-awaited full review is below.

I received a digital copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

I was fortunate enough to read an ea
Hafsah (on hiatus)
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ummm WHAT was that ending??!! Chakraborty you're crueler than I could've imagined; to lead me on for 600 pages and then end with a cliffhanger is totally not ok. *Sigh* I suppose this pain is self-inflicted since I was fully aware I'd have to wait a year for the final installment.

But I'd do it again in a heartbeat because boyy was this book good.

It's a stunning mix of equally breath-taking (sometimes literally) and dangerous magic, and politics (i.e. scheming, revolution and more scheming). It
Jonathan O'Neill
Jun 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
*** Major Spoilers***

3.5

‘The Kingdom of Copper’ is S.A. Chakraborty’s sophomore novel but there is no sign of second book syndrome here. It is a firm but subtle step up from its predecessor. Shannon demonstrates a masterful understanding of social and political tension and The City of Daevabad is dripping with it. The book is only let down by a slightly anti-climactic final confrontation following a superb leadup.

As was the case in ‘City of Brass’, Chakraborty’s talent for vivid descriptions o

• Empire of Sand (The Books of Ambha, #1)
  • The Priory of the Orange Tree
  • Gods of Jade and Shadow
  • The Winter of the Witch (Winternight Trilogy, #3)
  • Realm of Ash (The Books of Ambha, #2)
  • The Dragon Republic (The Poppy War, #2)
  • Gideon the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #1)
  • Ninth House (Alex Stern, #1)
  • The Ten Thousand Doors of January
  • The Poppy War (The Poppy War, #1)
  • The Raven Tower
  • Shorefall (Founders, #2)
  • The Girl in the Tower (Winternight Trilogy, #2)
  • We Hunt the Flame (Sands of Arawiya, #1)
  • A Memory Called Empire (Teixcalaan #1)
  • The City We Became (Great Cities #1)
  • Foundryside (The Founders Trilogy #1)
  • The Starless Sea
S. A. Chakraborty is the author of the critically acclaimed and internationally best-selling The Daevabad Trilogy. Her work has been nominated for the Locus, World Fantasy, Crawford, and Astounding awards. When not buried in books about thirteen-century con artists and Abbasid political intrigue, she enjoys hiking, knitting, and re-creating unnecessarily complicated medieval meals. You can find he ...more

The Daevabad Trilogy (3 books)
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
  • The Empire of Gold (The Daevabad Trilogy, #3)

Articles featuring this book

A mercenary seeks a missing child, a dead man’s brain is reactivated, a woman travels to the Mayan underworld, a disease drives its ...
“You don't stop fighting a war just because you're losing battles. You change tactics.” 17 likes
“Because a lost little girl from Cairo thought she was living in some sort of fairy tale. And because for all her supposed cleverness, she couldn’t see that the dashing hero who saved her was its monster.” 13 likes