Start by marking “The Kingdom of Copper (The Daevabad Trilogy, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Kingdom of Copper (The Daevabad Trilogy, #2)

The Kingdom of Copper

(The Daevabad Trilogy #2)

4.40  ·  Rating details ·  42,796 ratings  ·  5,369 reviews
Return to Daevabad in the spellbinding sequel to THE CITY OF BRASS.

Nahri’s life changed forever the moment she accidentally summoned Dara, a formidable, mysterious djinn, during one of her schemes. Whisked from her home in Cairo, she was thrust into the dazzling royal court of Daevabad and quickly discovered she would need all her grifter instincts to survive there.

Now, wi
Hardcover, UK Edition, 625 pages
Published February 21st 2019 by HarperVoyager (first published January 22nd 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The Kingdom of Copper, please sign up.
S.A. Chakraborty Thanks for your question! The Daevabad Trilogy is adult fantasy. I think there's plenty of cross-over appeal for YA readers, particularly in The City …moreThanks for your question! The Daevabad Trilogy is adult fantasy. I think there's plenty of cross-over appeal for YA readers, particularly in The City of Brass, but the main characters are in their twenties.

As a heads up, there is more violence, including a few fairly grim scenes, in The Kingdom of Copper that might not be appropriate for young teens, but I think readers know best what kind of material they want to consume.(less)
Sara I would say the second book ends on a significant cliffhanger. While a few things are "resolved," at least one important character's whereabouts and w…moreI would say the second book ends on a significant cliffhanger. While a few things are "resolved," at least one important character's whereabouts and well-being are left unknown. The story ends in the midst of a lot of destruction without waiting for the dust to settle, so to speak. I am definitely waiting hungrily for Book Three!(less)
The Wicked King by Holly BlackKing of Scars by Leigh BardugoNinth House by Leigh BardugoThe Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha ShannonThe Red Scrolls of Magic by Cassandra Clare
Can't Wait Books of 2019
1,473 books — 3,687 voters
Daisy Jones & The Six by Taylor Jenkins ReidThe Silent Patient by Alex MichaelidesThe Wicked King by Holly BlackRed, White & Royal Blue by Casey McQuistonThe Winter of the Witch by Katherine Arden
Best Books of 2019
1,281 books — 1,900 voters

More lists with this book...

·  42,796 ratings  ·  5,369 reviews

Start your review of The Kingdom of Copper (The Daevabad Trilogy, #2)
Melanie

ARC provided by the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

1.) The City of Brass ★★★★★

“It is time we get some vengeance for what they have done.”

Friends, this was such a phenomenal installment that was such a treat to read. This is an own voices Muslim Fantasy series, and a historical setting of the early 1800s, which barely touches upon the Ottoman Empire. And The Kingdom of Copper picks up five years after the events of The City of Brass

This is a story about djinn
jessica
Jan 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
if i thought ‘the city of brass’ was the start of an enticing and ambitious journey, then this next installment is the part of the trek where you have reached a fork in the road and you discover you have lost your map.

one road leads to a familiar civilisation and old problems. the way is lined with lush history, but requires a steep toll that many people cannot pay. is the guarantee to avoid the unknown worth the price?

the other direction leads to new leadership and the promise of being reu
Aimal (The Devils We Find)
Clearing my review because if trilogies are so god awful at sticking the landing, the previous books are no longer good in my eyes unforch.
Will Byrnes
Can you ever make a new world that properly addresses the wounds of the past? - from Lightspeed interview
The Kingdom of Copper is the second in S.A. Chakraborty’s Daevabad Trilogy, and it must be trying harder, as the first was amazing and this one is at least as good. I suppose you might pick this book up and have an entirely fine time reading it, but I would not advise it. If you have not read the first one, The City of Brass, jump on your flying carpet and dash off to your local bookstore. (
Charlotte May
This was so good! Cannot wait for Book 3!!!

“Pragmatic. Heartless. That’s how you survive in this place. It’s how I’ve survived everything.”

What a fantastic sequel! A fantasy full of magic and political intrigue with long held grudges and feuds all coming to a head.

3 POVs. Nahri, Ali and Dara - I didn’t love Dara’s chapters all that much, but I understood they were crucial to the plot.

Nahri is married to Muntadhir and hating life. Meanwhile Ali’s father runs the show like a dictator controlli
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
$1.99 Kindle sale, Feb. 21, 2020. 4.5 stars! Excellent sequel to The City of Brass, a near-Eastern inspired fantasy. I liked it even better than the first book, but you do need to read The City of Brass before this one.

Final review, first posted on Fantasy Literature:

The Kingdom of Copper, the second book in S.A. Chakraborty’s DAEVABAD TRILOGY, picks up soon after the ending of the first book, The City of Brass. Alizayd (Ali) al Qahtani, younger son of Ghassan, the king of Daevabad, has been ex
Ashley Nuckles
Jan 31, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Ummm if I thought The City of Brass was good....holy sh*t this sequel blew my MIND. Didn’t even expect to finish this so quickly, but I breezed through the last half of the book in almost one single sitting.

Oh my god. Oh my GOD. I don’t even know what to say. I love this world, these characters, all the crazy crap that’s flying around but makes the story so unbelievably GOOD.

I’m obsesssssssed! Ready for book 3 please :-)
Angelica
me coming to the realization that I'll have to wait a whole year to know what happens next:

Seriously though! How date this book end like that? Who does it think it is? What right does it have to leave me hanging on that cliff all by myself?!?!?!

On a more composed and serious note, this book was so many times better than its predecessor, The City of Brass, in so many fantastic ways.

I read The City of Brass in February and while I had some problems with it, I actually really enjoyed it. One of my
Kilikina
3.5 stars.

The Kingdom of Copper was my most anticipated book of 2019, hands down. Ever since I finished The City of Brass, I couldn’t wait to read this sequel. I was counting down the days; my anticipation for this was so high. I am so upset that I didn’t love this more... :(

The second half, more specifically the last 30% or so, was really the redeeming part of this. I really, really struggled to get through this. That’s something I NEVER anticipated.
I feel like everything I adored in The Cit
Peyton Reads
Aug 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really think I’m the only one who hates Dara’s guts with a passion and thinks Nahri and Ali are endgame lmao. Once again a really enjoyable book, but I just didn’t have that full 5 star feeling.
Jade Ratley
Jul 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
9.14 on CAWPILE.

I adored this.
Deborah Obida
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: new-adult, fantasy
This is ten times better than book one. I really enjoyed reading this book, it was hard for me to put down, the writing and characters were more matured than the first book.

This book has a five year time jump, I didn't mind much, it made it easier to understand lots of things. The beginning was quite slow but things picked up later. The fight scenes were perfectly depicted.

World building and Writing
There is a major improvement in the world building department, its way better than that of book on
✨ A ✨
Okay no. Sorry, but not even Ali could get me through this 😩

DNF
___
I'm continuing this series for Alizayd alone
Hayley
Apr 25, 2021 rated it really liked it
the politics in this book were EVERYTHING.
S.A. Chakraborty has once again told a stunning, immersive, magical story. I was gripped the whole time and this trilogy is definitely becoming one of my favorite series. the only reason this book isn’t 5 stars is because things moved a bit too slowly at times and some of the twists didn’t hit me very hard. despite that, I still had a great time reading. I can’t wait to read the Empire of Gold!
Twins.reading.books
Mar 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
S. A. Chakraborty didn't disappoint us again, she's a freaking professional writer, her World she has created is magnificent and we've never read such a well written structure within a book! She really keeps enchanting us with her very beautiful stories, original and interesting topics!
The whole concept of the book is intense and while reading this will be very stressful and intriguing, but in a kind of way you'll love it!
The book is told from three different point of views, Nahri, Ali and Dar
Jonathan O'Neill
Jun 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: modern-fantasy
*** Major Spoilers***

3.5

‘The Kingdom of Copper’ is S.A. Chakraborty’s sophomore novel but there is no sign of second book syndrome here. It is a firm but subtle step up from its predecessor. Shannon demonstrates a masterful understanding of social and political tension and The City of Daevabad is dripping with it. The book is only let down by a slightly anti-climactic final confrontation following a superb leadup.

As was the case in ‘City of Brass’, Chakraborty’s talent for vivid descriptions o
Kitty G Books
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
**Reread in 2021 and the thoughts below are still very much true. Still a solid 4*s and excited to now finish up the series and see where it ends as that one is new to me!**

I really enjoyed this one and I am super glad that I have audiobooked both of these as I think the narrator gives a more immersive look at the Egyptian-inspired culture of this world. This is a sequel so I cannot say too much about the plot, but I will say that I thoroughly enjoyed the direction this book took, and although
Sîvan Sardar
Feb 10, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

THIS BOOK IS INSANE THIS BOOK IS INSANE THIS BOOK IS INSANE THIS BOOK IS INSANE

this is the best MENA Adult fantasy I have ever read in my life. I devoured the first in this trilogy, I dare say the SEVOND is INSANELY better which is in itself crazy to say considering how much I loved it.

I cant, I’m fucking reeling, the politics in this book were the best I’ve ever read, the constant shift in power was addicting at best and so intense at other times - seeing relationships tested as a result of th
clem
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtqia
Instagram | youtube

4/5 shook Stars

Instagram | blog

description

WHAT DO YOU MEAN I HAVE TO WAIT A YEAR TO READ THE SEQUEL?!

RTC.
Katie Colson
Mar 24, 2022 rated it it was ok
dnf @ 67%

Listen, I read the first half of this TWICE. And while I understand what's going on now, I just don't care. I took a step back and realized that if I am over halfway through the series and still don't care, I don't think I am going to magically start caring in the last half. So, unfortunately, this series is a permanent dnf for me.
Krystal
WARNING: This review may contain spoilers for the first book in the series.

Pros:
- Nahri being a badass
- Dara being a badass
- Muntadhir being unexpectedly sweet
- Ali being an idiot

Cons:
- Ghassan being a jerk
- Dara being a jerk
- Muntadhir being a jerk
- Ali being an idiot

Also there was so much more hatred and pain and death and scheming characters and my heart just couldn't. handle. it.

The pace is a little uneven compared to The City of Brass so I was worried from the slower start that I mi
Grace A
Mar 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Wow! The second book was even better than the first. The tension between the royals, suffering among the masses, and power-struggle between ancient magical beings. It got ugly pretty quickly.
Nahri has seen more pain, suffering and death as a young healer than most trained soldiers, and as if the pressure was not enough, she was forced to dance to the tune of the king, or it is death for the people she cared for. All of that combined was nothing compared to what happened when war finally broke ou
Fadwa (Word Wonders)
CW: Violence, murder, excessive drinking/alcoholism, mention of self-harm, death of a few side characters, mass murder, segregation, racism, gore.

*I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange of an honest review*

Full review originally posted on my blog: Word Wonders

Question: What do you do when you read your most anticipated book ever and it turns out to be your favourite book ever?
Answer: You cry. You just cry and cry and cry.
Seriously , it’s almost been a month since
Nastassja

**This review now posted on my blog**

May I present you my first disappointment of 2019!

I don't know how but everything went wrong in this book. When I first read The City of Brass I was enchanted by its magical atmosphere and characters who swept me away into the world of djinn, flying carpets, giant water serpents and enormous talking birds. I loved everything about that world! I had zero doubt The Kingdom of Copper would deliver the same level of grandeur and will, once more, sweep me o

Theresa
May 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
HOLY FUCKING SHIT.
Noura Khalid (theperksofbeingnoura)
Binging a book series/trilogy isn't something I do often and I haven't done it in so long, until this trilogy came along. The first book was my book club's pick for July and within a few days of finishing it I started this one. You better be ready for a review full of rants because that's what you're about to get.

I wasn't ready for the emotional turmoil that I went through because of this book. The City of Brass left my mind whirling with thoughts and I just couldn't put off reading this one for
Adah Udechukwu
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Kingdom of Copper is undoubtedly the best novel I have read this year. The novel is rich in details, politics, religion, culture........ everything.
Raquel Flockhart
1. The City of Brass | ★★★★★
2. The Kingdom of Copper | ★★★★★

“You don’t stop fighting a war just because you’re losing battles, Alizayd. You change tactis.”

S.A. Chakraborty has done it again. She has created another masterpiece. I knew she was able to create an unique and impressive story because she had already done that in The City of Brass, but she has left me speechless once again with The Kingdom of Copper. I truly believe Chakraborty has taken the fantasy genre to a whole new le

Beatrice in Bookland
“It is time we get some vengeance for what they have done.”

1. The city of brass ★★★★★

4.5

I'm legit still thinking about this book and I finished it days ago. Damn. What a book.

I had very high expectations for The kingdom of copper - being The city of brass one of my favorite books - and S. A. Chakraborty did not disappoint.

Her writing style keeps being enchanting and rich but never heavy. She also brings such an original and interesting topic: we are in the middle of a war, a war between Geziri,
Hilly ♡

• The Burning God (The Poppy War, #3)
  • The Dragon Republic (The Poppy War, #2)
  • The Poppy War (The Poppy War, #1)
  • Jade City (The Green Bone Saga, #1)
  • Empire of Sand (The Books of Ambha #1)
  • Black Sun (Between Earth and Sky, #1)
  • Jade War (The Green Bone Saga, #2)
  • House of Sky and Breath (Crescent City, #2)
  • The Last Graduate (The Scholomance, #2)
  • The Bone Shard Daughter (The Drowning Empire, #1)
  • She Who Became the Sun (The Radiant Emperor, #1)
  • Jade Legacy (The Green Bone Saga, #3)
  • The Bone Shard Emperor (The Drowning Empire, #2)
  • Daughter of the Moon Goddess (The Celestial Kingdom Duology, #1)
  • A ​Sky Beyond the Storm (An Ember in the Ashes, #4)
  • The Winter of the Witch (The Winternight Trilogy, #3)
  • The Girl in the Tower (The Winternight Trilogy, #2)
  • Gallant
See top shelves…
S. A. Chakraborty is the author of the critically acclaimed and internationally best-selling The Daevabad Trilogy. Her work has been nominated for the Locus, World Fantasy, Crawford, and Astounding awards. When not buried in books about thirteen-century con artists and Abbasid political intrigue, she enjoys hiking, knitting, and re-creating unnecessarily complicated medieval meals. You can find he ...more

The Daevabad Trilogy (3 books)
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
  • The Empire of Gold (The Daevabad Trilogy, #3)

Articles featuring this book

A mercenary seeks a missing child, a dead man’s brain is reactivated, a woman travels to the Mayan underworld, a disease drives its...
“You don't stop fighting a war just because you're losing battles. You change tactics.” 52 likes
“I've had enough of men hurting me because they were upset.” 40 likes