Start by marking “When Aidan Became A Brother” as Want to Read:
When Aidan Became A Brother

When Aidan Became A Brother

When Aidan was born, everyone thought he was a girl. His parents gave him a pretty name, his room looked like a girl's room, and he wore clothes that other girls liked wearing. After he realized he was a trans boy, Aidan and his parents fixed the parts of life that didn't fit anymore, and he settled happily into his new life. Then Mom and Dad announce that they're going to ...more
Published May 7th 2019 by Lee & Low

To ask other readers questions about When Aidan Became A Brother, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Aidan Became A Brother

Start your review of When Aidan Became A Brother
Jenna (Falling Letters)
#OwnVoices for trans boy rep. This is somehow even better than I thought it would be?? The illustrations are gorgeous and the text is written with such care. I love the author’s note that speaks directly to kids.
Tasha
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
At birth, everyone thought Aidan was a girl. But as Aidan grew up, he didn’t like his name, the way his room was decorated, or wearing girl clothes. Aidan cut his hair off, realizing that he was a boy. He told his parents, and they learned from other families what having a transgender child is all about. Aidan picked his new name, they changed his bedroom into one that felt right, and he liked his new clothes. Then Aidan’s mother got pregnant. Aidan loved helping pick clothes for the baby, paint ...more
Darla
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE Aidan, with his excellent outfits and his plants, I love all the fun little details in the illustrations (gonna need that lady's watermelon romper, thanks), and most of all I love having these beautiful words to share with readers, whether they're getting ready to become a a big sibling, thinking about who they are, or just looking for a sweet and uplifting read!
Abigail
Jul 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers Looking for Picture-Books Depicting Transgender Children
A young transgender boy confronts the idea of becoming an older brother in this sweet picture-book from author Kyle Lukoff and illustrator Kaylani Juanita. Born as a girl, Aidan never felt comfortable with that gender identification, eventually sharing his deep frustration with his supportive parents. Now happily living as a boy, he isn't sure how to react when his mother announces she is expecting another child. He wants to be a loving sibling, and to ensure that the baby is happy. But what ...more
Brierley
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
ARC provided by the publisher via Edelweiss + in exchange for an honest review.
This is a beautiful book! Kyle Lukoff does an excellent job thoughtfully presenting Aidan's perspective. I found Kaylani Juanita's illustrations joyful and exuberant. My favorite part was when Aidan changed 50,000+ names for boys and girls to 50,000+ names for babies and babies. I hope to see more of Aidan in the future.

Jillian Heise
THIS is the book. A beautiful and empowering story of identity. What we've been needing in our schools. The one that is going to thoughtfully, lovingly, and honestly help our kids better understand transgender kids they hear about, encounter, or know. I urge you to order this picture book and share it with all kids in your life.
Inge
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A must-purchase for every library that serves children and their families.
Andrew Greenlaw-Houldsworth
AHHHH SO GOOD!! What i love the most is that this picture book uses explicit language when describing the protagonist as trans, which helps kids have a better understanding of gender. It also explores how being trans/nonbinary can make the subject of a new sibling can be hard for a kid who was misgendered at birth and early on in life. Great for 5 and up, and an exemplary gift book. Highlyhighly HIGHLY recommend.
Myah
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was so cute and sweet! I love that the author refers to Aidan as Aidan from the beginning of the book. Every detail of this book is so thoughtful and sweet. ...more
Emmy Neal
This book was SO CUTE!!! Ugh, my heart hurts.
Andrew
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It isn't until a few years of Aidan's life that he and his family realize he is a boy, not a girl. When he transitions, he flourishes and thrives, feeling whole. Then he gets news-- he's going to be a big brother! It's very exciting, but Aidan is worried about everything being perfect for the baby. I think readers of any and every age should read this book-- it really puts into perspective how much we gender things, even babies before they're born. This is a very big thing that can wind up being ...more
Ben Truong
When Aidan Became a Brother is a children's picture book written by Kyle Lukoff and illustrated by Kaylani Juanita, which stars a transgender boy, who anticipates his new job as a big brother by helping his parents prepare for his baby sibling's arrival.

Lukoff's text is rather simplistic and straightforward. It is written with sensitivity and candor as Aidan takes his first steps toward claiming his identity. When his mother is expecting another child, Aidan excitedly prepares for his big
June
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: acceptance and self determination requests
Recommended to June by: Goodreads
Rounded up because I feel this is a much needed book. A child feels trapped because everyone thinks he is a girl. He acts out, but finally tells his parents. It takes some time for everyone to adjust, but they all learn a lot form other families with transgender kids. He chooses a new name, they change his room so he feels he belongs. When his parents announce that there will be another baby, Aidan is excited about being a big brother and wants to get it right (except the changing diapers bit.) ...more
Sabrina
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a great picture book illustrating the story of a transgender boy who wants to make sure that his new sibling feels understood. I appreciate that the author mentions that it was a transitioning time for the parents as well.

I felt for Aidan during the parts where he and his parents where met with people who did not understand/were being nosy for no reason. I wanted to reach through the story and give him a huge hug and tell him that people suck sometimes.

The illustrations are absolutely
Missy
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Yes! This book has so much that I was hoping for - a story about a young trans boy (there aren't many kids books about trans boys) that doesn't only focus on his transition but has another story as well. It also provides critical thinking about how to create supportive environments for diverse gender identity development. And wonderful to see a family of color! I've been waiting for something like this.
Kim
When Aidan, a transgender boy, finds out his mother is having a baby, he wonders how he can help the baby to be themselves. Written by an own voices author, this thoughtful book will help young readers to learn more about themselves and the people with whom they share the world. Read. Learn. Share.
KDV
Jun 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Great book. There are very few books about transgender boys; most I see are about transgender girls, so this is a perfect addition to our shelves. I also like that the book nudges us to rethink the ways we gender people every day (ex. people asking Aidan's mom "Are you having a girl or a boy?" and her answering "I'm having a baby"). Very sweet & thoughtful book. Excellent illustrations.
Mary Lee
Aidan is a kid who knows what it's like to be misunderstood, a kid who wants everything to be better for the new sibling that's coming. This book clearly shows how binary-dominant our culture is, and how hard it is to live outside that "norm."
Molly
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Tells the story of Aidan, a young trans boy who is about to become a brother. He wants to get everything right so the new baby feels welcome and they can be themself. This is a lovely story not only about the transgender experience but also the anxieties that can come with becoming an older sibling. It feels authentic because it is written by an actual transgender person. The illustrations are lovely too. Overall, a great picture book.
Katie Dicesare
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, picture-books
As Aidan is beginning to understand who he is as a transgender kid, he longs to welcome his new sibling into the world. He begins to worry about protecting the baby from the feelings he had as a younger kid. His mothers reassures him with "how important it is to love someone for exactly who they are." This is just one of many messages Kyle Lukoff, a trans writer, shares in this beautiful story.
Celeste
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A much needed own voices book about being a transgender child.
robyn
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lovely. We need more of these . . . many more!
Rebecca Honeycutt
Not only is this book desperately needed, but it's also packed with kid appeal, as well as illustrations SO adorably charming that I can barely handle it.
Angela
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book, lgbtq
I want everyone to read this. A transgender kid becomes an older brother in this beautiful story about being seen and loved.

Too long for most storytimes, but perhaps very small groups and older kids. And all schools need this wonderful book.
Danni Green
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Aidan becomes a brother because his parents have a baby AND because he's trans and his family supports him! Yay!
Andréa
Note: I accessed a digital review copy of this book through Edelweiss.
Radym
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Awesome primer about gender packaged in a beautifully-illustrated and written book for children PreK-3rd grade, following Aidan and his parents as they welcome a new baby into the family. I especially love this story, because it normalizes transgender youth, exemplifies a positive relationship between transgender children and their parents, both of whom are learning about gender at the same time, and calls into question the myriad of ways our society puts a gender label on everything. This book ...more
Sara
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s, lgbtq, picture
This book was DELIGHTFUL. The illustrations were beautifully done as was the text. Highly recommend.
Michael Perez
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What really works in this trans-friendly picture book is that the pictures tell the story of Aiden without needing any of the words. Aidan learns that his mother is having another child, and we get to see how this challenges his own gender views, his excitement over having a new sibling, and his early adjustments to the people around him. Well done.
Stephanie Bange
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. This book pulls no punches on what it is like to be young and transgender.

Born as a girl, Aidan knew something was not right. He felt like all the girly stuff -- his room, his name, his clothes were all wrong. He finally felt right when he cut off his braids and told his parents what he knew about himself. This adjustment took some time for his family. With the help of other families with transgender kids, they all learned a lot. Shortly after his transition, his mother looks to him to help
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »