Start by marking “Christmas Cookies: Bite-Size Holiday Lessons” as Want to Read:
Christmas Cookies: Bite-Size Holiday Lessons

Christmas Cookies: Bite-Size Holiday Lessons

(Cookies)

From the beloved New York Times bestselling author of I Wish You More, Amy Krouse Rosenthal, this scrumptious follow-up to the bestselling Cookies: Bite-Size Life Lessons captures the real spirit of the Christmas season. Makes a thoughtful gift, especially accompanied with some home-baked cookies.

From making the same kind of cookies at the same time each year (tradition)
Published September 30th 2008 by HarperCollins (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Christmas Cookies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Christmas Cookies

Start your review of Christmas Cookies: Bite-Size Holiday Lessons
Luisa Knight
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
Each page has a word defined in expressions of Christmas and baking.

Ages: 4+

Cleanliness: has Santa Claus. "My goodness" is said.

**Like my reviews? I also have hundreds of detailed reports that I offer too. These reports give a complete break-down of everything in the book, so you'll know just how clean it is or isn't. I also have Clean Guides (downloadable PDFs) which enable you to clean up your book before reading it!

Visit my website!
The Bougie Twins
Kelli
So darling! Great lessons on faith, sharing, friendship, etc. I adore Amy Krouse Rosenthal’s books.
Cecile
Oct 23, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: christmas, abandoned
Heidi-Marie
Maybe it's because this one has a holiday theme, or maybe it's because I make cookies around Christmas for my neighbors and co-workers, or maybe it is because I can embrace sweetness so much more now, but this was my favorite of Rosenthal's cookie books. I liked the gentleness and sweetness of the illustrations. Liked seeing the additions of elves, dancing bunnies, a giraffe. And I liked the various aspects one may experience not just at the holidays in actions and emotions. Very good. Probably ...more
Heather
Jun 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
25 months - O really loves this book and the original one as well. Heck it's about cookies and it has exceptionally cute pictures. The vocabulary learned in these book seems as though it would be over her head but she's seems very interested in their meaning. I've also heard her use more than one of these big concept words in her daily life! Blows me away! Sometimes when we read this book I will add a bit more explanation or reword things in a way that I think O will understand. It's a great ...more
Peacegal
Dec 28, 2017 rated it liked it
This book reminded me of the container of vintage cookie cutters I inherited after my grandma passed away. I always liked looking at these impression cutters as a child and imagining the elaborate cookies I would make. Somehow I feel the imagining was far more fun for me than actually making the cookies would be.

I liked The unusual choice of having both human and animal characters in this book. It lent it a whimsical and magical feeling. Christmas cookies are used to present a variety of values
Mrs. Riding
Dec 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, picture-books
I'm very grateful to my friend for sharing this book. I immediately purchased a copy and prepared my enhanced classroom lesson over the weekend to begin sharing the first Monday in December. I loved the book more each time I shared it with another class. The beautiful words, many of which are part of our Community of Caring words for this year, were accompanied by beautiful pictures. These words and pictures led to some delightful discussions with my students. I was also introduced to her other ...more
Kathryn
Jun 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Another delightful book by Amy Krouse Rosenthal. Her stories have heart felt messages, in this particular book using Christmas cookies. My favorite is:

"Peace means no one is worried about anyone else's cookie...in this moment we are all quietly content with the cookies we have."

Jane Dyer's illustrations are whimsical and sweet, a world where we all want to live.
Phoenix
Jan 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: friends
Shelves: favorites
Just a great book with simple definitions and beautiful and engaging illustrations! I loved reading this book to my daughter this fall. I had to even make a request to have it delivered to library nearest me because it was a part of my local library. Especially seeing how my daughter tried to use the vocabulary in her conversations...that is priceless! I'll definitely hunt down a copy to add to our personal library.
Shelli
Sep 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is the second in the "Bite-Size" lesson books by Amy Rosenthal that I have read. Picture books that encourage vocabulary expansion and variety like this one always have a special place in my heart. Christmas Cookies does just that while also giving sprinkles of ethics such as: tradition, appreciation, charity, responsibility, moderation and perseverance. This would be a wonderful book to share with early elementary age students or younger, and a great gift for the holiday season.
Alexis Levine
Jan 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: exe-3601, religion
Christmas cookies is a super cute book. Each page has one larger vocabulary word on the page in bold letters followed by an example of the word in reference to the story. This book would be great to read around Christmas time, of course. I really like how this book incorporates larger words that indirectly teach children the meaning through the text.
Rosa Cline
Dec 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: christmas, kids
Although this book was originally written in 2008 they use illustrations such that it appears it was written in the 1950's or so giving it a nostalgic feeling to it. It is sort of a dictionary of sorts of all emotions that go along with the Christmas holiday. Like tradition, gratitude, appreciative etc. All associated with baking cookies.
Jennifer (sullivan)
Apr 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Genre: Picture Book/Non-Fiction

I really enjoyed this book and I think most young boys ans girls ill enjoy it too. You learn life lessons which is always good and you also learn the meaning of different words while baking Christmas Cookies.; it can't get much better than that! I really liked the illustrations too.
Angie
Oct 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
So beautiful. Not sure whether to mark this a "picture" book or not ... there are lovely pictures. But the word definitions are what "makes" the book for me. My favorite is probably the one about eating more than zero cookies but less than too many. Can't remember what that was ... restraint? Anyway. Reminded me of my very favorite in all the world Frog and Toad story.
Trish
Nov 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Fiction; Older Children/Christmas
3 stars

I wanted to like this more than I did. I had a different idea of what these "lessons" would be. I expected a picture book geared towards young children but it really isn't.

Basically, this book is page by page of word + definition. It is okay if your child is old enough to understand such terminology but it seems like something for kids much older.
Whitney Pittsenbarger
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I adore these books. So far I've found a holiday and a non-holiday one. If anyone knows of more please let me know. These are BY FAR the best ways I've ever seen to explain complicated emotions and feelings.
Kelly
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book introduces longer, more difficult words that a young reader may not understand, but through the descriptions of how these words relate to Christmas cookies and baking a child would learn their meanings a little easier.
Apr 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, kidlit
Loved this addition to the "Cookie" series. Each word ties well with the act of baking Christmas cookies and the words chosen define "Christmas spirit." I liked "Tradition means each year at the same time we make the same cookies and wear our special matching aprons."
Laura Giessler
Oct 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
Still an amazing approach to unpacking these big words/ideas, but I didn't like this one as much as the others in the series, maybe because I have my own slightly different thoughts about important words like joy and peace.
Jackie
Nov 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
Wonderfully warm and deliciously enticing, these bite-size lessons have everything to do with understanding life's most precious moments, whether good or bad, without all the calories, of course. Christmas hopes and winter dreams are encapsulated in beautifully illustrated vignettes.
Phyllis
Jan 08, 2016 rated it liked it
I was disappointed in this book. It wasn't what I anticipated when I reserved it from the library.
Diane Marsh
Jan 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The lessons go beyond making cookies. I had to buy my own copy and some for gifts.
Elizabeth
Sep 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
I add a Christmas book to our family collection every year, and I do believe I've found my 2008 book.
Trish
Dec 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, je
This is a good book for kids to learn about feelings. Grades K and up.
Josette
Dec 05, 2008 rated it liked it
Learn new vocabulary words while you read!
Kelly
The illustrations are cozy. I like the different recipe in the back of this book and the big words are appropriate for older children for vocab lists or just reading and learning.
Alenna
Not sure why this rated so high with so many people. I found the "lessons" to be a bit forced, and I think character-changing messages are better when they are subtle.
Jackie
A delightful holiday vocabulary lesson with charming illustrations by Jane Dyer. There's even a recipe for Christmas Cookies at the very end :)
Mary
Nov 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Very sweet illustrations with a child-friendly introduction to some bigger words and concepts; e.g., frustration, perseverance, hope.

• The Good Egg
  • No Talking
  • The Carpenter's Gift: A Christmas Tale about the Rockefeller Center Tree
  • The Legend of the Candy Cane
  • I Want a Dog for Christmas, Charlie Brown!
  • Giraffe Problems
  • A Day with Wilbur Robinson
  • Katy and the Big Snow
  • My World: A Companion to Goodnight Moon
  • Santa Paws: The Picture Book
  • Santa Paws and the New Puppy (Santa Paws, #6)
  • Thunder from the Sea
  • The Tiny Wish

SHORT BIO:

Amy Krouse Rosenthal was.
She divided her time.

NOT SO SHORT BIO:

Amy Krouse Rosenthal was a person who liked to make things.
Some things she liked to make include:

Children's books. (Little Pea, Spoon, DuckRabbit)
Grown-up books. (Textbook Amy Krouse Rosenthal, Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life)
Short films. (The Beckoning of Lovely, The Money Tree)
Guided journals. (The Belly Book)
Something

Cookies (4 books)
  • Cookies: Bite-Size Life Lessons
  • Sugar Cookies: Sweet Little Lessons on Love
  • One Smart Cookie: Bite-Size Lessons for the School Years and Beyond
“Peace means no one is worried about anyone else's cookie...in this moment we are all quietly content with the cookies we have.” 2 likes