Start by marking “Look Closer” as Want to Read:
Look Closer

Look Closer

When mysterious messages begin appearing, Tegan has the chance to save people’s lives...but can she also save herself?

Ever since Tegan's father died while serving overseas, she's been numb. But then seemingly random names start to appear in unlikely places—a cereal box, a windowsill, a food wrapper. As Tegan begins to track down people with those names, she sees a pattern
Published February 5th 2019 by Sourcebooks Fire

To ask other readers questions about Look Closer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Look Closer

Samantha (WLABB)
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, ya, magical_realism
Rating: 3.5 Stars

A story of grief and healing with a magical touch.

I enjoyed my journey with Tegan, and though the incorporation of messages from "beyond" was an interesting way to help jump start her healing. There were a lot of beautiful messages in this book about seeing what's in front of you, living in the moment, and not waiting for the threat of death in order to decide to live.

I found Tegan very likable, and loved all the swimming stuff. You could tell how much it meant to her, when sh
Thamy
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was ok

Too rushed but promising. Deserves a 2.5, still it lacked effort to go beyond that.

Tega has lost her father and still trying to get over it. She's abandoned competitive swimming and isn't too enthusiastic about college. That's when she starts seeing names of people about to die. As she tries to save those, her life and the way she deals with it also seem to be saved along.

This is a good plot and the main character at least is very easy to relate. In other words, the book was off to a good start.
Meghan
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
I received this book as an advanced reader's copy due to our readers on the search for new and exciting thrillers and mysteries to add to our fiction collection. When I first read this book, I felt confused due to the fact the book jumped around a lot and was not consistent with the plot. This made it hard to understand and follow and usually those types of books I tend to not finish and deny for our collection. However, in the middle the storyline it started to make sense and pick up in the thr ...more
Teenreadsdotcom
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Stewart Lewis is an acclaimed New York Times bestselling author and has written many books that are relatable to teenagers. Stewart is most famous for his book titled YOU HAVE SEVEN MESSAGES. In addition, he is known for his books titled STEALING CANDY and THE SECRET INGREDIENT. Books similar to LOOK CLOSER are MY GRANDMOTHER ASKED ME TO TELL YOU THAT SHE IS SORRY by Fredrik Backman and OUT OF THE DUST by Karen Hesse.

Ever since Tegan’s father died overseas in military action Tegan has not been h
Myron Brown
Tegan has put her life on hold since her father died until the day she starts seeing random names people who die the same day. She soon sets out to save these people before they die. While she tries to save everyone could she save herself? Lewis wastes no time in establishing the book's premise. As Tegan goes around saving people she establishes and reestablishes relationships, including one with a boy named Edge who has some problems of his own. The romance that develops between the two is cute ...more
Lexa
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Giving this five stars because 1. Surprisingly... I don’t like books that I can’t put down it completely distracts me from the outside world. This was a book that I couldn’t wait to pick back up but could stop reading at any moment if that makes sense. 2. It was such a fun quick read. It took me about 3 days to finish. 3. This is the type of book that I would read by the pool on a hot summer day or on a train. I loved the love interest for Tegan. It ads a little spark to the book. The only thing ...more
Sammie
Mar 20, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was like me I’m middle school - “Shows potential. Needs to apply herself. Could be great.”

The plot line is what really caught my attention. Someone being sent names to save them from death? Definitely intriguing. But I feel like there was a huge let down.

Tegan continues to find name after name. She even sees a frightening man each time she saves someone. There was a build-up for a monumental reason, some crazy reveal. But instead we get a rushed, touchy-feely reason behind all of it.
Jenn
Aug 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc
Ever since Tegan's dad died in military action, she's felt displaced. She has no interest in eating and she's quit the swim team that she used to love. She's isolated herself from all but one of her friends. But one day, names start to appear in random places. She begins tracking these people down and discovers that each name she sees means that person is slated to die that very same day. Tegan slowly begins waking up and enjoying life again as she finds a purpose.

This was an enjoyable young adu
Aoife
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: a2, a3e, sourcebooks-fire, feb, 2018
I wasn't sure about this when I started it; I'd heard good things, but the blurb didn't really grab me. I was dead wrong, no pun intended. This is a great, quick read about a girl who drags herself out of grief by sheer force of will. The romance is, of course, just about insta-love, but it wasn't too grating on this one.

A very enjoyable read, and I'll be looking out for more by the author.

Receiving an ARC did not alter my review in any way.
John Clark
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My daughter gave me this as a Valentine's day present and I read it in two sittings. What a nice blend of magical realism, dealing with grief, teen romance, getting back on your horse and how the power of love outlasts the human condition. All in all a terrific and extremely satisfying read.
Samantha
Apr 15, 2019 rated it did not like it
The writing seemed like it was easy enough for even me to write this book myself. If this was Stewart Lewis’ first book, it definitely showed. The writing was fast-paced, almost like he didn’t care about any scenes enough to write about for more than 2 pages. He didn’t describe enough, the dialogue between characters was first grade level. I would’ve DNF it, but it was going by so fast that I might as well have finished the book.
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Teagan is having a hard time coping after her dads untimely death until she starts seeing the names of people appear in random places that are going to pass away that same day. Will Teagan be able to save them all and is this a message from behind the grave from her dad??

Look closer had me flipping the pages and I had a hard time putting it down as I kept wanting to know where Teagan would see the next name of who was going to die and if she could beat the clock and save them or if they would su
Tiffany Johnson
Ashlea
Aug 06, 2018
Andrew
Aug 19, 2018
STEWART LEWIS is the author of the novels Rockstarlet and Relative Stranger. He is a singer-songwriter and radio journalist who lives in New York City and western Massachusetts.