Start by marking “White Is a State of Mind” as Want to Read:
White Is a State of Mind

White Is a State of Mind

In 1957, while most teenage girls were listening to Buddy Holly's "Peggy Sue," watching Elvis gyrate, and having slumber parties, fifteen-year-old Melba Pattillo was escaping the hanging rope of a lynch mob, dodging lighted sticks of dynamite, and washing away the burning acid sprayed into her eyes by segregationists determined to prevent her from integrating Little Rock's ...more
Published March 15th 1999 by Putnam Adult (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about White Is a State of Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about White Is a State of Mind

Start your review of White Is a State of Mind
Joana Rizza Bagano
Oct 13, 2008 is currently reading it
Moves me - a Filipino. I'm pretty sure it would make more impact on Americans.
Kay Hommedieu
Aug 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Melba Patillo Beals of the Little Rock Nine first wrote "Warriors Don't Cry" about her experience of integrating Central High School in Little Rock, Arkansas. This is her book explaining her experiences in Santa Rosa, CA, where she lived with a white family who were members of the NAACP and had four children. The two older girls were close to Melba's age and she shared a bedroom with them.

From Santa Rosa she went on to college at San Francisco State College. Her first living arrangements were
Danielle
White Is a State of Mind is the continuation of Beals's memoir Warriors Don't Cry. She picks up right where the first book left off, with her move to California to finish high school. Nothing goes as planned, or as she hopes. Beals's experience adjusting to a mostly white environment, but one that is very different from Little Rock, and finding her place in 1960s California Bay Area is at times relatable and also frustrating. (Sometimes I didn't understand her choices or what she put up with.) ...more
Tiffany
Mar 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
this is the follow up to WArriors don't cry. I am very interested in her state of mind and this book has helped open some light to understanding her a little better. It is sad to see all that she went through afterwards, but her amazing strength to keep moving forward. Another thing that has struck me is how people or opportunities are placed in our lives at the right moment so we can best grow. I think this book will end up being as powerful as the first.
Shannon
This sequel to "Warriors Don't Cry" was an powerful continuation of Beals' narrative in a slightly different way. While Warriors is largely event-driven, "White is a State of Mind" follows Beals' transition from a young hero and martyr for racial integration in the South to her adjustment to living in a much subtler world of racial divides in California and her personal coming of age in the wake of integrating Little Rock Central High School.
Lin Lin
Melba was a high school student when she became the world-famous Little Rock Nine. After the historical moment of 1957 in U.S. history, she moved to California to heal the scars of racial hatred and hostility. This book writes about "what happened next" after the Little Rock event. She described how she overcame oppressions in all forms in her life.
Rebecca
Sep 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Rebecca by: just picked it up at Halfprice books
I loved this book..We all heard about the Little Rock Nine but this gave you and in depth personal view of what really happened with Ms. Beals...I have been trying to find her first book to read because that one goes into great detail of her Little Rock Experience...Definitely read this.
Rowan
Jun 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: civil-rights
Sequel to Warriors Don't Cry. It's a really fascinating insight into what happened next to Melba, one of the Little Rock Nine, after her year integrating Central High School in Little Rock.
Mona
Aug 04, 2011 rated it it was ok
3.5 stars.
Karen
Very eye opening!
Karen
Jun 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
So sad that this happened not so long ago.
SundayAtDusk
After reading an ARC of Melba Pattillo Beals' YA nonfiction book March Forward, Girl: From Young Warrior to Little Rock Nine, I was really interested in reading about her life after she left Arkansas for California. I was also really interested in learning how her beloved grandmother felt about all the civil rights changes that happened in the 1960s. Since her Grandmother India was in her 50s during the 1950s, it never occurred to me that she may not have lived to see the 1960s. Sadly, she did ...more
Heather

After reading Melba Patillo's memoir of the integration of Little Rock's Central High School, I wanted to know more details about what happened next. Instead of letting the black teenagers have a second year in Central High, the governor closed the high schools. This lead to increasing anger towards the families that were involved in the integration from both white and black families. Melba finally had to flee the state when a bounty was placed on her by Klan members.

Let's talk about how she
Kate
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sequel to Warriors Don't Cry: A Searing Memoir of the Battle to Integrate Little Rock's Central High, detailing the author's experiences after Central High's segregation. Not as interesting or enlightening as much of the experiences werepersonal and felt it went into unnecessary detail.
Chrissy
Aug 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: little-rock-nine
This book was an extended version of Melba's other book, I Will Not Fear, but focused on her college years to her divorce. I should have read this book first since it came out first and the other one extends to the present as it was in 2018.
George Crowder
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This continuation to Ms. Beals' excellent account of her horrific experience at Central High adds important information, and is a fascinating memoir in its own right. What a long, strange trip it's been.
Camille
Jul 21, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »

• Running with Sherman
  • The Rise of the Ultra Runners: A Journey to the Edge of Human Endurance
  • The Immoral Majority: Why Evangelicals Chose Political Power Over Christian Values
  • Quit Like a Millionaire: No Gimmicks, Luck, or Trust Fund Required
  • Smart Ass: How a Donkey Challenged Me to Accept His True Nature & Rediscover My Own
  • Invisible Kingdom, Vol. 1
  • The Governess Club: Claire (The Governess Club, #1)
  • The Princess Plan (A Royal Wedding, #1)
  • The Long Shadow of Little Rock: A Memoir
  • Motherhood So White: A Memoir of Race, Gender, and Parenting in America
  • What the Eyes Don't See: A Story of Crisis, Resistance, and Hope in an American City
  • Feast of Stephen (A Charm of Magpies, #3.5)
  • Flight of Magpies (A Charm of Magpies, #3)
  • A Case of Possession (A Charm of Magpies, #2)
  • A Case of Spirits (A Charm of Magpies, #2.5)
  • The Magpie Lord (A Charm of Magpies, #1)
  • Interlude with Tattoos (A Charm of Magpies, #1.5)
  • A Match Made in Mehendi
Melba Pattillo Beals made history as a member of the Little Rock Nine, the nine African-American students involved in the desegregation of Little Rock Central High School in 1957. The world watched as they braved constant intimidation and threats from those who opposed desegregation of the formerly all-white high school. She later recounted this harrowing year in her book titled Warriors Don’t ...more