Start by marking “Dr. Arthur Spohn: Surgeon, Inventor, and Texas Medical Pioneer” as Want to Read:
Dr. Arthur Spohn: Surgeon, Inventor, and Texas Medical Pioneer

Dr. Arthur Spohn: Surgeon, Inventor, and Texas Medical Pioneer

In this first comprehensive biography of Dr. Arthur Edward Spohn, authors Jane Clements Monday, Frances Brannen Vick, and Charles W. Monday Jr., MD, illuminate the remarkable nineteenth-century story of a trailblazing physician who helped to modernize the practice of medicine in Texas.

Arthur Spohn was unusually innovative for the time and exceptionally dedicated to improv
Published September 12th 2018 by Texas A University Press

To ask other readers questions about Dr. Arthur Spohn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dr. Arthur Spohn

Ruthie Jones
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lone-star-lit
"As was his usual demeanor, he refused to walk away from a difficult case and was determined to take the extra care needed to cure a patient."

This quote beautifully sums up the life and legacy of Dr. Arthur Spohn. Biographies such as this are so valuable and should continue to be written and treasured. Dr. Spohn's accomplishments and contributions to healthcare and medical practices are astounding. He never stopped learning and sharing his ideas and knowledge throughout his entire life.

Biographi
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
Had you asked me 10 years ago or so if I would read a biography and one that focused on a doctor that made strides in his field, my answer probably would have been no.  Not that I wouldn't have thought that the book would have been good or contain worthwhile information, it just wouldn't have been my cup of tea.  But as the years go by I find that history and biographies of pioneers are quite fascinating especially when penned by the right authors.

This book captured my interest from the beginnin
Christena
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Quick Takeaways:

Horsehair as a ligature!

Kerosene and turpentine for medical uses!

Driving a horse and buggy in the dark of night!

Yes – back then doctors did use whiskey and prescribed it.

This book is an amazing research portal into the legacy of a doctor who lived and survived in the 1800s. It’s hard to imagine that medical innovations could have occurred towards the late 1800s given the lack of advanced technology that we have now but they did with Dr. Arthur Spohn.

After reading this book, I ca
Celia
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, non-fiction
I need to start off by saying I love reading biographies, and memoirs. I love learning about people! And in going into any nonfiction book, it is important to know that some areas may seem dry with all its facts and figures - but ultimately, you have to remember that these bits matter when you're learning about your subject.

In the case of this book, Dr. Spohn was a fascinating person to read about. He had a wealthy background, sure, but what struck me the most interesting was his commitment to
Texas A&M University Press