Start by marking “That's Not What I Heard” as Want to Read:
That's Not What I Heard

That's Not What I Heard

From the author of The Date to Save and It's Not Me, It's You comes a new novel about what happens when a rumor about a breakup is more interesting than the truth!
"For fans of Mean Girls and other high school comedies." - Kirkus Reviews

"Plenty of hyperbole provides copious amounts of laughter. Give this to readers who crave something light and humorous." - Booklist

What did
Published February 26th 2019 by Scholastic Press

To ask other readers questions about That's Not What I Heard, please sign up.
Stephanie Strohm I *think* the published said 12 and up, but there's nothing objectionable for 6th grade - no cursing, violence, sexual content, drugs, alcohol, etc.

Vicky Who Reads
Jan 29, 2019 rated it liked it

I actually had a ton of fun reading this one, and absolutely sped through it! Stephanie Kate Strohm’s books are always so entertaining for me, and although this book is a little different from her normal writing, I still enjoyed reading.

While Love a la Mode was a lot more light and fluffy and romantic, That’s Not What I Heard is a lot more quirky, gossipy, high school craziness. Think Your Own Worst Enemy by Gordon Jack. Crazy, a little out there, but still so much fun.

Basically, Kim
Samantha (WLABB)
Rating: 4.5 Stars

This is the hilarious, absurd, and over the top fun that made me a Strohm fan. This book is very reminiscent of It's Not Me, It's You and The Date to Save, and it delivered the laughter I was hoping to find. It gets a little emotional and the warm fuzzies found me in the last part of this story, which touches upon endings and the future. I may have shed a few tears.
======================================================
As soon as I started reading this, I was like: YES! YES! YES
Jessica
Jan 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Oh, this sweet, sweet book. It's been quite a while since I've read a YA book that didn't contain tragic romance, or tough lessons. Not that I don't love those books, don't get me wrong, but That's Not What I Heard was like a breath of fresh air in a genre that's starting to feel a little heavy. This book is pure fun, really. It's almost like a satire of high school, except it's even smarter than that. While I didn't absolutely love this book, I saw the brilliance in it. Plus, I definitely giggl ...more
Dahlia
Yet more Strohm absolute adorableness! This one was like a cross between her It's Not Me, It's You and that first Sandy Hall book that had a zillion POVs. Fun and delightful as always.
Mandy
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, contemp
I've been in such a funk with contemporaries that honestly, I was scared that I had outgrown or had lost my way with books made of fluff and swoons and marshmallows. And then That's Not What I Heard walked into the door, and my fluffy soul was saveddddddddd. Omigosh, this was exactly what I needed. It was so much cuteness and funnies and adorableness, and that is why Strohm will foreverr be one of my favorite YA contemporary writers.

This book is a bit more in the vein of Strohm's It's Not Me, I
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)
Stephanie Kate Strohm’s books are always such hilarious and compulsively readable books. Once you pick them up, you can’t put them down and That’s Not What I Heard is no different. We follow the lives of teens at William Henry Harrison High School after the golden couple breaks up and no one is quite sure why. Rumors are started and lines are drawn in this high school romcom romp.

The best words I can use to describe That’s Not What I Heard are dramatic and entertaining. Stephanie’s writing is ju
Isabelle (the Book Dutchesses)
I was part of the official blog tour and was provided with a digital copy in exchange for my honest review! This review was first published on thebookdutchesses.com

I was going into this book with the expectations of a light-hearted, fun and fast read. And that was exactly what I got! I read the book in one sitting and was laughing out loud all the time. The book starts out with the POV of Kim Landis-Lilley on the morning of the break up. We get the whole story so there wasn’t any guessing of abo
Natalie
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2019
Stacy Fetters
Jan 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads, giveaway
"But maybe that was part of saying goodbye- you were never really ready.”

William Henry Harrison High is in total disarray. The “IT” couple has split up and everyone is losing their minds. But how did it happen? And why? I’ve heard that it was.... and she heard it was because..... As rumors start to fly and people start taking sides, will the school will never get back on track?

This book is the high school version of the telephone game. Someone tells a secret and it spreads to someone else with s
Olivia (The Candid Cover)
Stephanie Kate Strohm has become one of my auto-buy authors recently. Her YA contemporaries are always so much fun to read. I think the concept of a rumour gone viral is going to set the stage for some interesting drama.
Kimberly
Thank you @kidlitexchange @stephkatestrohm @scholasticinc for the review copy of this book. All opinions are my own. This YA book was release 1.29.19!!

This book was ridiculously entertaining. It’s fast paced, hilarious and surprisingly told through tons of perspectives. The setting is William Henry Harrison High and the chaos begins when Kim and Teddy break up. Their conversation is overheard by one student getting a snack out of a vending machine, who tells another student and so on. Rumors st
Kiki
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs-giveaways
Classic book that you would chill by the pool with: light, flirty, and funny.
Hallie
Thanks to the @kidlitexchange network for the review copy of this book- all opinions are my own.

That's Not What I Heard is a funny YA rom-com that is told through an impressive amount of POVs! Stephanie Kate Strohm strikes again with a comedy that teen readers of all ages will enjoy. This book is about a senior power couple breaking up right before prom and the rumor mill igniting after a freshman takes some liberties with what he thinks he saw. Kim Landis-Lilley and Teddy Lin are ultimate high
Lauren R.
This was absurd, ridiculous, hilarious, frustrating, and so fun. I’m not one to enjoy a book based around ONE misunderstanding (something that could be cleared up with a simple conversation), but I found myself letting go of that for this book somehow. I loved Phil and Elvis the most but it was so fun reading from all of the POVs (especially the faculty members). Despite the unrealistic-ness of the story itself, so many of the smaller elements that made up the plot felt like real high school. I ...more
Anna Bright
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary, funny, ya
absolutely hilarious, and--as someone else pointed out--nearly satirical. if the game telephone were a book, this would be it.
Jayme Carruthers
@kidlitexchange #partner

Thank you to the #KidLitExchange network for the review copy of That's Not What I Heard. All opinions are my own.

That's Not What I Heard was ridiculous in all of the right ways. What starts as a basic rumor about Kimberly Landis-Lilley and Teddy Lin breaking up turns into a crazy web of confusion. Is Teddy really moving to Italy? Did the Olympics really get cancelled? Who put up that crazy poster? Seriously, it's a mess. It reminds me of the telephone game we all played a
Laura Gardner
Dec 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
⭐⭐⭐⭐/5 for THAT's NOT WHAT I HEARD by @stephkatestrohm, which I received from @scholasticinc to review and share with #kidlitexchange. Thanks for the free book!

Kim and Teddy are the IT couple of William Henry Harrison High...but then when they break up unexpectedly it sets into motion an insane chain of events that results in four separate proms, warring factions within the school (Team Kim, Teddy Bears and eventually HeartBeats and AntiKaTs) and some serious logistical difficulties at lunch
Tayo
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
I enjoyed this far better than a date to save and thought it returned to the same whimsey and I humour that I particularly enjoyed in It's Not You It's Me.

However if I took this book even the slightest bit seriously, I was have gotten angry more than a couple of times.
spoiler: (view spoiler)
Natalie ⭐
Actual rating: 3.5 stars

This book was extremely adorable, and just an overall fun time. I’m not a huge fan of miscommunication in books—and miscommunication was the BASIS for the plot—but it was still an enjoyable book. If you want something cute, funny, and straight-up satirical at points, I’d definitely recommend this one.

I want to emphasize that me giving this book 3 stars doesn’t mean that I didn’t enjoy it. I really enjoyed this book!! I’m just not a huge fan of its main trope, and I felt l
michelle (magicalreads)
Jan 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs, 2019, reviews
read on my blog

Just from the description, I knew that That's Not What I Heard was going to be a fun read. And it was! With a huge cast of students and teachers, this book follows how a rumor can get out of control and all the messes in between.

It was so interesting to see how rumors evolve in such a ridiculous manner. The way people spread what they've heard and maybe added to the gossip. The way everyone took sides was so funny; friends fighting friends, couples breaking up, sisters hating sist
Ms. Yingling
Public Library copy

This is a YA romance book that I think will work for middle school. Lots and lots of drama, high school setting, misunderstandings, social media, etc. Somehow, reading it really did take me back to being in high school- the points of view of the various teachers, especially. It was a little too frenetic for my taste, and lacked actual romance (it starts with a break up), but I thin my students will enjoy it. No bad language or high school situations.
Hanna Lee
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you’re looking for a hilarious light hearted contemporary this is a must read. It’s absurdity is at level 100 and is the epitome of the ridiculousness that is high school/ers. Stephanie Kate Strohm brings us back to William Henry Harrison High in this book and while you don’t really get any crossover characters it is entertaining as ever.
Elizabeth
The entire premise of this book was ridiculous. I skim read most of it. The thing that prevented it from being something I didn't finish, and that kept it at more than one star, was the absolutely laugh out loud funny moments. There were several hilarious scenes that saved this from being complete trash. Would not read again.
Michele
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would like to thank goodreads for my advanced copy.

This is a great coming of age book that is wrought with laughter, ah-ha’s, and “no she/he didn’t”. It will take you back to the “good old days” of high school with a lesson in how gossip can hurt everyone.

I enjoyed the story and it take me back to my days in school. The characters are believable.
Layila
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love everything that Stephanie Kate Strohm writes. She's just sooo funny and is one of the only authors who can make me laught out loud while reading a book. I highly recomend that you listen to this on an audiobook Stephanie Kate Strohm reads it and it just adds to the experience.
Auburn
Jan 19, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Imagine getting a whole schools opinion on one mixup of a conversation. That's this book. Each chapter is a different view and take on the breakup. It is really just a memory trip down high school lane.
If you enjoy secrets and the telephone game this might just be for you.
Amelia Brunskill
This book is the kind of Sophie Kinsella meets Gordon Korman wacky delightfulfulness that you didn’t know that you needed unless you’ve read other books by Strohm and then you kinda already do know that. I giggled so much reading this book that it wasn’t even remotely dignified.
Isy
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rmsooon
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ive read " thats not what i heard",, i love this type of writting so funny and enjoyable,,, i liked the book,, if u like gossip ull like the book,, i gave it 4 out of 5 stars
Kait Goodwin (Kait Plus Books)
Full review to be published on http://kaitplusbooks.com sometime this week!
  • 10 Blind Dates
  • She's the Worst
  • Our Wayward Fate
  • Little White Lies
  • There Will Come a Darkness (There Will Come a Darkness, #1)
  • The Bright and the Pale
  • Hearts Made for Breaking
  • Symptoms of a Heartbreak
  • Shatter the Sky (Shatter the Sky, #1)
  • What Monstrous Gods
  • Virtually Yours
  • I Wanna Be Where You Are
  • Truly Madly Royally (Point Paperbacks)
  • Where Dreams Descend (Kingdom of Cards, #1)
  • Beyond the Black Door
  • Technically, You Started It
  • Dangerous Alliance
  • In Another Life
Stephanie Kate Strohm is the author of The Taming of the Drew, Pilgrims Don't Wear Pink, Confederates Don't Wear Couture, and the upcoming It's Not Me, It's You and Prince in Disguise. She grew up in Connecticut and attended Middlebury College in Vermont, where she was voted Winter Carnival Queen. Currently she lives in Chicago with her fiance and a little white dog named Lorelei Lee.
“Unlike her older sister, Kim, Olivia did not believe you were forced by destiny to fall in love with someone just because they happened to come next to you in the alphabet.” 0 likes