Start by marking “The Deceiver's Heart (The Traitor's Game, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Deceiver's Heart (The Traitor's Game, #2)

The Deceiver's Heart

(The Traitor's Game #2)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  1,428 ratings  ·  230 reviews
Kestra Dallisor has finally gained possession of the Olden Blade. With the dagger in her control, she attempts to destroy the tyrannical Lord Endrick. But when Kestra fails, the king strips her of her memory, and leaves her weak and uncertain, bound to obey him. Heartbroken, Simon is desperate to return Kestra to the rebel she was, but refuses to use magic to heal her. ...more
Published February 26th 2019 by Scholastic Press

To ask other readers questions about The Deceiver's Heart, please sign up.
Samantha Nagel I would say yes, but it really depends on your interests... If you can't get this at your Library, you should try looking it up on ThriftBooks. Right…moreI would say yes, but it really depends on your interests... If you can't get this at your Library, you should try looking it up on ThriftBooks. Right now it will probably be like $15, since its new, but if you wait awhile, they might be able to get a "used" copy in for more like $5. Hope this was helpful?(less)

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of The Deceiver's Heart (The Traitor's Game, #2)
R.F. Gammon
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reread #3: Long, drawn-out, incoherent screaming

Reread #2: Hello, I am so obsessed with this series that I have attempted (and failed) four seperate pieces of fanart, read the book three times, literally scream about it while walking down my own street, and made a ship playlist for my babies. (Kestrimon? Should that be their ship name or is it too unwieldy?)

THE BRIDGE SCENE.

THE ENDING.

THE DRAGON.

EVERYTHING.

*screams*

Reread #1: Yes, I did just read this AGAIN.

All I can say is that my children
Nicki Chapelway
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oof, RIP me as I wait for the next book. That was absolutely brutal.

CAN I JUST SAY HOW MUCH I LOVE JENNIFER NEILSON BOOKS??? They are so twisty and stabby and pretty much a roller coaster for your brain.

Also, this book was clean so that just adds to the epicness scale.

This book was more of Simon's book, which kinda disappointed me just a little bit because I love Kestra so much and I really would have liked to have spent more time in her crafty mind, but also I can't complain because SIMON <3
Alaina
Ugh. So much happened in this book that I didn't like.

The Deceiver's Heart really betrayed me. I loved Simon and Kestra together and all but ugh, that ending. I don't accept it and never will. I'm also hoping that the third book will give me better news than this one did.

Other than that, the romance and rebels are still going strong. I didn't really like that Simon could have other love interests in this book. Then there's the whole "arranged" marriage again and it just seems like Simon is just
Nicole Dust
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Okay. So. Ive been thinking about this series and my rating for the previous book. (I can just see Faith, Nicki, and Lila biting their nails right now. XD)

See, I think I bought waaaayyyy into the hype for the first one, which was why I gave it four stars. But, now that Im thinking about it, I just feel "meh" about The Traitor's Game. Dont get me wrong - I still liked it! But its more of a three stars for me right now.

(Obviously, Im very fickle, so that might change.)

So. On to why I think the
Caroline
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2-stars, read-in-2019
I didn't really love The Traitor's Game, but after seeing this synopsis, I was intrigued, but unfortunately, this book let me down.

A lot seemed to take place in this book, but the action only happened within a page or two and then it was over and there was a lot of nothing happening the pages between.

I wanted the big plots to happen over more just a page, it felt rushed and I wanted action descriptions of what was happening, instead of just them fighting and then they're all done and everything
Lila Kims
I have a lot of thoughts, but allow me to condense all of them into one simple statement:

This trilogy does not suffer from second book syndrome.
Brooke
Mar 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Okay so going into this book, I was basically salty about the whole thing? And everything I'm salty about is a lowkey spoiler so I can't even rant about it here? So why four stars instead of the three I want to give it?

THAT ENDING THAT'S WHY.

Here's what I will say. Simon is on my nerves. This new girl Harlyn is gonna be murdered by me. Loelle is on my nerves. Wynnow better hope she never has to face me because death to her too!!!!

Kestra is the only person I'm not mad at because she's actually
Serine Majid
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!! IT COULD NOT END LIKE THAT!!!!! THERE IS COMPLETELY NONONONONO WAY THAT THE BOOK ENDS LIKE THAT!!! I THINK THERE IS A 3RD BOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's so wonderful and sad and much more stuff I can't say. If there is no continuation, then I don't know what to do... I was crying and there were many flows of emotions! I didn't hear that there was a continuation but I don't think I heard it because THIS book isn't really out yet... Now I'll have to wait a couple of years to wait and see ...more
Cindy ✩☽♔
Jun 28, 2018 marked it as to-read
The first book was disappointing, but perhaps this one can redeem the series for me
Monika Awad
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
SO SO SOOOO GOOOOOD! MY GOOOOOOOOD! First off, it was beautifully written. Mrs. Nielsen's word choice really helped me feel what the characters are feeling. 2nd, the plot was AMAZANNNG!! All drama and the tea 😉😉. The characters are phenomenally written and described and I really enjoyed the two POV's. But, like any other great book, there is a few weak points in the story. First, THE ENDING! PLEASEEEEE if you're an author, don't end the book like, oh for instance, WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER BEING ...more
Mary
And Jennifer A. Nielsen does it again! The characters, the highlights of all of her books, the setting, so real I feel like I am there, and the plot, which leaves me gasping for air with every twist and turn.
No description can describe how good this book is.

There were a few tiny minuscule things which I didnt quite love including The romance. I felt like it was a little more like a typical YA romance than her normal ones which I love and at times rather descriptive during a few small kissing
Leah Good
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy, 2019
This book took us so much deeper into who Kestra and Simon are. While I'd say this story remains a plot driven book, I enjoyed the deeper delves into the characters thoughts and feelings. And I appreciate that the love story, while still having it's fair share of sappiness and romance tropes, also had some more real feeling struggle and sacrifice and doubt.

Plot wise, the story feels familiar while also taking some unexpected twists and turns. I'm definitely still guessing as to how book three is
Vanessa Wojciechowski
THERE IS NO WAY THIS SERIES IS OVER! I can't wrap my head around the ending and will probably cry about it for the rest of my life. I don't think its over, and I don't want it to be.
Sofa
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG THE ENDING WHAT!!!! HELP IM DYING AHHHH. OMG THIS BOOK IS SOOO GOOD AHHH I WANNA KNOW WHAT HAPPENS NEXT GAHHHH I HAVE TO WAIT GAHHH HELPPPP. EVERYONE HAD GOTTA READ THIS BOOK

OKAY? OKAY.

Okay here's my classic rant for a good book, lez go.

(view spoiler)
Carly
Apr 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Ariana
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Before I begin, I want to let you all know that I am a huge fan of Jennifer A. Nielsen. I have read every book she's written and heartily enjoyed each one. They're unique and capture my attention and admiration.

With that said, I was disappointed in this book. I have a few issues with this book. I didn't particularly enjoy the first book in this series (The Traitor's Game) either, but the second was worse. So many times throughout this book, the characters were cornered into making a decision
Rayna
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book didn't know what direction it wanted the plot to go in. It was the epitome of romance overshadowing the start of a magic-fuelled war. The main characters both became annoying and I stopped caring. The predictability was boring.

I'll probably read the third book just to see how the trilogy ends, but it won't be high on my TBR...
Morgan | Mashleas Reads
After a strong start to this series the sequel lets it down.

While it was enjoyable enough to finish, so many things about this book annoyed me. I'm not sure I will pick up the third and final book.
Eve
This book moves the series from a good yet simple read to a multi-faceted masterpiece. The series still very much remains plot-driven, but the characters in this story are delved into much deeper and they have much more complex thought processes and feelings about things. The love story as well, while still being in part made up of sappiness and tropes, also had doubt and passion and real sacrifice which I always love from a high fantasy.

Honestly, I didnt really care for the new characters
Summi A.
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is part 2 to the book The Traitors Game. It came out very recently on Feb. 26th 2019 and I am guessing by the ending there is going to be a 3rd book as well. So if you are not patient you should wait for the whole series to come out and then read it.
Jamie :)
Dec 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Oooh even bettttter than the first!! Like ahhhh I am so hooked I need the next book now!!
Rachel
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of the series
Recommended to Rachel by: Goodreads
Okay, I have a serious love-hate relationship with this book. It just gave me . . . so much agony. I honestly would give the first 156 pages five stars . . . and the rest of the book three, so my rating averages out to a four. Here's why.

At first, I was SO into it! I literally raced through the first twenty-ish chapters. The plot just clipped along at a brilliant pace--with Kestra failing to kill Endrick, losing her memories, and then getting kidnapped/saved again by Simon, who loves her. This
Holly
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
Jennifer Nielsen, what have you done? You are making ironhearts out of all of your readers!!! If you continue to write like this all of your readers hearts will be crushed with the knowledge that we have to wait with anticipation for the next book!

This heart stopping book is the sequel to The Traitors Game. Lets just say I was not disappointed at all. Well, just a little since the next book is not out yet. (: When I finally got a hold of a copy, I started to read it but then I had to stop. I had
see_nic_read
Nov 10, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ugh, this was so bad and I wont be continuing this series. As I feared after realizing Kestra loses her memories within the first chapter, we have to relive all of book one in the first half of this. Honestly my least favorite writing move, so lazy. I also couldnt care less about the magic in this, which is seemingly nameless and takes no real shape. There seems to be no real rules for it, it just manifests however the author wants it to at each time.

I also could not care less about Kes and
Sumayyah
Rating - 3 Stars
_______________________________
I feel like a part of my soul was stolen by this book. That bit of my soul was frustrated to the bitter end and mostly made me want to strangle every character in here besides Kestra. Why? You may ask based on the first book. Because I felt entirely awful for her, I mean everyone doubted and demeaned her.
"She was simply the last in a long line of people who'd trampled over me, bent me to their will, then apologized with the excuse that they had no
Jacob
Mar 13, 2019 rated it liked it
So I'm reading this series mostly to see if it gets any better. A ringing endorsement, I know. I loved The False Prince series by the same author, but her Mark of the Thief series wasn't nearly as good; there was a lot of useless running around and yelling basically "things have to be this way!" Unfortunately, this series has been much the same, although it trades the Roman background of Mark of the Thief for complex political machinations in a fantasy word that is dominated by one uber-powerful ...more
Amy B
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I did not read this entire book. Id say I skimmed about 60% of it. But, hey, I got all the major plot points, so I dont feel like Im missing anything...

It already lost me when Kestra lost her memory. That basically meant this was the first book all over again, just worse. It felt like it was just one big forced plot point just so that Kestra could (view spoiler) and her relationship with Simon didnt have to be dealt with.

I went through so much character changing with
Sarah Reese
Aug 19, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: arc, up-next
The first book was bad.... but JUST good enough for me to believe that book 2 will magically fix all of my issues and improve the series for me.
Will likely DNF if it isn't better by the halfway mark.

Please please please don't be disappointing.
Laura Metz
Mar 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Well ended on a predictable cliffhanger. Shocker. The first book had so much more character than this one. I was slightly disappointed in this book. I will read the third only to see how this plays out but its not a top priority for me at this point
Ashley
Mar 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-and-on
I'm meh about this series. Like I really want to enjoy it but some of the events just fall flat.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Traitor's Kingdom (The Traitor's Circle, #3)
  • Lady Smoke (Ash Princess Trilogy, #2)
  • Shadow & Flame (Rime Chronicles, #2)
  • Vow of Thieves (Dance of Thieves, #2)
  • Ember Queen (Ash Princess Trilogy, #3)
  • The Blood Spell (Ravenspire #4)
  • The Traitor's Ruin (The Traitor's Circle, #2)
  • Supernova (Renegades, #3)
  • Tears of Frost (Heart of Thorns, #2)
  • The Queen's Assassin (Queen's Secret, #1)
  • Crown of Coral and Pearl (Crown of Coral and Pearl, #1)
  • Kingsbane (Empirium, #2)
  • Warrior of the Wild
  • Stepsister
  • The Queen's Resistance (The Queen’s Rising, #2)
  • Four Dead Queens
  • Heart of Flames (Crown of Feathers #2)
  • The Lady and the Highwayman
Jennifer lives at the base of a very tall mountain in Northern Utah with her husband, three children, and a naughty puppy. She loves the smell of rainy days, hot chocolate, and old books, preferably all at once. She is a former speech teacher, theater director, and enjoyed a brief but disastrous career as a door-to-door pollster. In her spare time, Jennifer tends to panic, wondering what she has ...more

The Traitor's Game (3 books)
  • The Traitor's Game (The Traitor's Game, #1)
  • The Warrior's Curse (The Traitor's Game #3)