Start by marking “Say Something” as Want to Read:
Say Something

Say Something

The world needs your voice.
If you have a brilliant idea...say something!
If you see an injustice...say something!

In this empowering new picture book, beloved author Peter H. Reynolds explores the many ways that a single voice can make a difference. Each of us, each and every day, have the chance to say something: with our actions, our words, and our voices. Perfect for kid
Published February 26th 2019 by Orchard Books

To ask other readers questions about Say Something, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Say Something

Start your review of Say Something
Jon Nakapalau
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Powerful and inspiring - teaching children that there voice is important and should be heard!
Mrs. Krajewski
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely a must read! My son says this book deserves a “bonus star” because it shows you how important your voice can be. ...more
Scottsdale Public Library
Peter Reynolds has crafted an exceptional way to express that there are many ways to use your voice. Bold and bright illustrations make the intangible seem more concrete for younger readers. I like how many forms of sharing and communicating are presented in this book, and the overall message that what kids have to say should be heard and valued. What a great read for K-3 classrooms! See also Word Collector by this same author and The Smallest Girl in the Smallest Grade by Justin Roberts for ...more
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Peter Reynolds challenges children to say something, to speak up when children see a lonely person or someone being hurt, to write a poem, to draw something, to help others understand. It's a message children need to hear. An empowering book for children.
Richie Partington
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
Richie’s Picks: SAY SOMETHING by Peter H. Reynolds, Scholastic/Orchard Books, February 2019, 40p., ISBN: 978-0-545-86503-6

“Oh, look outside the window, there’s a woman bein’ grabbed
They’ve dragged her to the bushes, and now she’s bein’ stabbed
Maybe we should call the cops and try to stop the pain
But Monopoly is so much fun, I’d hate to blow the game”
--Phil Ochs, “Outside of a Small Circle of Friends” (1967)

“So we are speaking up for those who don’t have anyone listening to them, for those who
Karyn
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Delightful in all ways.
Ms. B
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, 2019, picture
The picture book companion to Michelle Obama's Becoming.
Ginny Daniels
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
LOVE this one! All about all the ways to “say” something even through actions. A must-have for character education.
Stacy Renee  (LazyDayLit)
Say Something is such a wonderful and important picture book! It's all about using your voice, speaking up, sharing your ideas, expressing yourself, and making the world a kinder and more peaceful place.

This is such a great reminder to all of the importance of speaking up for ourselves and others, speaking out about injustices, and putting meaningful and kind words out into the world. Words matter!

We loved the colorful backgrounds, all the thought bubbles, and the diverse illustrated
Nadia L. Hohn
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This! I am loving the crop of picture books about activism for children. It's really what we need right now and is warming my heart. I know that Peter H. Reynolds wrote The Word Collector which I still have not read yet but I know that it has swept up a huge amount of picture book awards. Say Something reminds me of the ad I always see in the NYC Metro. "If you see something, say something." Young readers are encouraged to speak up and say something and given several everyday scenarios that they ...more
Jana
This wonderfully upbeat book lets all young readers know that their stories matter and that everyone has something to say. It also validates all forms of expression so that anybody can be a part of the conversation, from shy and quiet folks to those who are bold and daring, from those who are writers, or artists, or musicians, and on and on. Sharing this book with kids would be a great way to talk about ways to share our stories and our ideas.
Ms. Arca
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
For me as a me— this is 3 stars. The tempo isn’t my favorite and I’m a curmudgeon who is now a picture book snob.

For me sharing this with a student or child — likely 4 or 5 stars.
I think kids will hear the way Reynolds wrote about using your voice and feel affirmed by it, get chatty with examples from their own lives using his examples, and enjoy the way it’s presented overall.
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Bo and Pirada
Here's a great little picture book about the power of your voice. Specific examples are illustrated- and show how to say something with and without using your voice. Teach your littles how to make a statement, stand up for others, and stand up for themselves.
Mary
A heartfelt picture book that will spark thought provoking discussions about how each of us has a unique voice. Each two page spread is a poster with a bold message that is intended to heal and transform the world around us. An inspiring book for all ages.

Mary Lee
Must-read and must-use with students to encourage them to use their voices to make the world better!
Mandy Robek
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, 2019
A must read, a must own, a must reread!
Aliza Werner
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Words matter. Speak up and say something...for yourself and others.
Lorrie
Apr 26, 2019 added it
Shelves: 2019, picture-books
Everyone has a voice.
Book Buying With Katie
I love children's books SO MUCH. And this is maybe one of the most beautiful I've ever read. I'm crying. It's fine. Also--the author dedicated it to Emma Gonzalez. And that's really friggin cool.
Cheriee Weichel
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous! Wonderful! Important!
Melanie
A fantastic book by a fantastic author/illustrator. Peter Reynolds hits the nail on the head with this picture book about speaking out for yourself and others.

Highly recommended for storytime.
Beth Honeycutt
Feb 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thanks, Angie Hull! Bought it!
Michele Knott
A book to share over and over and over.
Kathy Mathey
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Perfect to spark discussions for all ages.
Connie T.
This colorful picture book delivers a simple yet profound message: The world needs your voice. Either through words, actions, or creativity we should not be afraid to express ourselves.
Caroline
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Say Something is a book encouraging people to say something. It explains how for some people it is easy to talk and for others it is sometimes hard to say something. This book describes the different ways people can use their voices, through painting, through whispering, by helping someone, by planting a garden, by writing a poem, or by wearing something with confidence. This book also talks about the importance of saying something even when you feel as if no one is listening. Your ideas matter ...more
Macie Williamson
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Say Something by Peter H. Reynolds is a picture book that tells a story about different ways to say something. Whether that be by painting on a canvas or talking with someone to stop bullying, there are so many ways to express your thoughts.

The theme of this book encourages kids to speak up and use their voice in any way they can. It says that it doesn't have to be loud or even by physically talking but kids can use their voice creatively, with words, or by actions.

I loved this story and think
Jackie
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psla-reviews
Say Something! Will help children understand that words, actions and expressions have the ability to make a difference. Brightly colored pages contrasted by extra large text bubbles and illustrations featuring children allow the reader to focus on how one individual can be a catalyst of change. Diversity among the illustrations reinforces the message that every voice matters regardless of race, gender or ability. Even the endpaper of this book gives its audience an opportunity to visualize their ...more
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Say Something! by Peter H Reynolds. PICTURE BOOK. Orchard Books (Scholastic), 2019. 9780545865036

BUYING ADVISORY: EL (K-3), EL - ESSENTIAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: HIGH

The narrator talks to a young character in the book, telling her that the world needs her voice and that she can say something in so many different ways. You can say something by being there for someone who is lonely or by painting something or planting a garden. You can tell someone to stop if they are hurting someone else. The world
Amory Blaine
Love this book! Diverse, empathetic, and important.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Remarkably You
  • The Pigeon Has to Go to School
  • The Undefeated
  • Perfect
  • Harold & Hog Pretend For Real! (Elephant & Piggie Like Reading!, #6)
  • Just Read!
  • I Am Love: A Book of Compassion
  • When You Are Brave
  • Dandy
  • Dear Boy,
  • Tomorrow Most Likely
  • I Will Be Fierce
Peter Hamilton Reynolds is an author and illustrator of children's books and is the co-Founder and CEO of educational media company FableVision.