Start by marking “It's Me. (Catwad, #1)” as Want to Read:
It's Me. (Catwad, #1)

It's Me.

(Catwad #1)

From New York Times bestselling author Jim Benton, meet Catwad! He's blue, he's a bit of a grouch, and his best friend is a dim-witted cat named Blurmp who can see the bright side of anything. From pizza and computers, to love and happiness, this crabby tabby has a funny take on just about everything, and he's not afraid to share it. This collection of short comic stories ...more
Published March 26th 2019 by Graphix

To ask other readers questions about It's Me., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It's Me.

Matt Tramell
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
This might have been the stupidest thing I've ever read in my entire life. The entire time I read this, I wondered, why? Is this why I'm here on earth, to read Catwad? I began to read, and I began to hate myself. Slowly I fell into a pit of depression. I saw no way out, until the book closed, and I was done. So, why do this to myself? Because my students voted that I should buy this for the class. So, I used my hard earned money on the book. And now I'm dead inside. Catwad is a cancer that feeds ...more
Kerrie
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh man! That book was hilarious!!! It definitely made my day.
Tegan
Some of these made me laugh out loud, some were just okay. I liked that it was just a series of little scenes. I liked the preview of the second book and the shout out about the importance of libraries.
Peacegal
Apr 25, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars -- This wildly wacky comic brings to mind the Nickelodeon humor of Ren and Stimpy, Rocko's Modern Life, and Spongebob Squarepants. Yes, the humor is dumb--aggressively so--but it's also really funny, and I found myself chuckling more than a little at how over-the-top and bizarre it all was.
Traci
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm counting this, even though it took me less than a half-hour to read it. I debated for a bit, then realized that it would be hypocritical of me NOT to count it, as we're in the middle of our Summer Reading initiative at work, and we tell the kids all the time that it doesn't matter *what* you're reading, as long as you *are* reading. Which I did!

It's a very cute graphic novel aimed at children grades 3-5 (maybe even 2nd). I picked it up because I love Jim Benton, having seen his Happy Bunny
Elaine Fultz
Nov 26, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: soyamrg
Garfield and Odie are sort of updated into these chubby cat characters Catwad (hateful bully) and Blurmp (brainless optimist named for a fart sound). Some “stories” are two-page comics/jokes, and some are a little longer but all with the same theme -- stupid cat is stupid and mean cat is mean. For example, one section finds Blurmp excited about spotting tiny fairy unicorns. Catwad ends up with multiple stings screaming, “They’re mosquitoes, you idiot!” And Blurmp dreamily responds, “So many luck ...more
Lesley
I don't even know how to rate this, since I am clearly not the audience for it. :D
Rabbit
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Catwad is hilarious and sarcastic all at the same time! Great read!
Kary
Jun 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Extremely silly - reminded me of Ren and Stimpy. My students will love it! Better order multiple copies.
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Catwad: It's Me by Jim Benton, 127 pages. GRAPHIC NOVEL Graphix (Scholastic), 2019. $9. Content: G

BUYING ADVISORY: EL (K-3), EL – ESSENTIAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: HIGH

Catwad is super grouchy because of his dim-witted friend Blurmp. Blurmp looks at the bright side all the time and loves everything, especially pizza. Catwad and Blumrp have hysterical adventures, such as visiting a gross hotel, Blurmp getting sick, and Catwad smiling so hard he turns inside out (very rare). Although Catwad is grumpy an
Andrew
Sep 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Catwad is a bright, fun new graphic novel about two cats-- Catwad, a grumpy, cynical feline, and his best friend (and polar opposite) Blurmp, a happy-go-lucky, carefree kitty. Antics and absurdity perfect for fans of the Dog Man series. Catwad's attempts to smile put a real smile on my face!
Cecelia
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jim Benton (he of Happy Bunny fame) has started publishing a new graphic novel series about a character named Catwad, and I’ve been trying for an hour to figure out how to describe it. In the first book, Catwad: It’s Me., Catwad reminds me of nothing so much as a book version of the Grumpy Cat meme. Or a cross between Grumpy Cat and a Garfield comic. Whichever way you slice it, the book is full of biting, physical humor, and it will be a hit with kids no matter their reading level!

Catwad is a ca
Kenya Starflight
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
Okay, I appreciate that I'm not the target audience for a graphic novel of this nature. It's mostly aimed at young boys, ones who enjoy this book's strain of goofy gags and bodily-function humor. But... this is still a weird and ridiculous comic. It's a collection of gags without much real story to them, and while I did laugh out loud a time or two while reading it, I found it fairly stupid.

Catwad is a grouchy blue cat who mostly just wants to be left alone. Sadly, that's hard to manage when his
zapkode
{My thoughts} – I have to admit that the title of this book is rather interesting. This is a neat little graphic novel for younger children that is part short comics and part short comic stories.

The illustrations are bright and engaging. The characters are Catwad who is mean and Blurmp is well not the smartest kitten of the litter. The two of them go at it like cats and dogs for the most part and Catwad doesn’t seem to have any issues with making Blurmp see that he isn’t amused with his lack of
Gmr
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Do you remember Happy Bunny? You know, that sarcastic little bunny of joy that smiled through the worst of times and brought a chuckle to your day? Yeah, that's from this guy, as is the Dear Dumb Diary series, Franky K. Stein series, and a plethora of other odds and ends. Once the connection was made, the light bulb above my head shattered because I knew I made the right decision in grabbing this book. Being the first in the series, we are introduced to Catwad and his seemingly constant companio ...more
RedPoppyReading
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“Catwad,” by @jimbentonshots, had us bursting out laughing on the first page! Catwad is a very grumpy cat. Blurmp isn’t the brightest cat, but always sees bright side of any situation. Together these two cats are hilarious! Told in short comics the cats deal with love, pizza, staying in a hotel, fairy unicorns (aka mosquitoes) and more. If you love laughter and silly books, this one’s for you! When I asked my daughters how many stars out of five they would give this book, my seven year old said ...more
Barbara
Although I imagine many youngsters unfamiliar with Garfield or Peanuts will enjoy reading this graphic novel, the first of a series, I read it and felt as though I'd read many other comic strips similar to this one. The book features Catwad, an extremely grumpy feline who tends to look on the dark side of laugh, and his irrepressible sidekick and best friend--if someone like Catwad can even have a best friend--Blurmp. Several of the very short stories will make readers smile as the cats consume ...more
Eliana
May 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was hilarious. Being a book aimed for younger children, I read this short chapter book to all of my siblings for the fun of it. I read through this book in about twenty minutes, not very long, but most definitely worth taking time out of my day to read it. While reading this (for the first time) aloud to my siblings, there were moments where I had to stop reading and laugh for a couple minutes. The characters are an amazing duo set up in perfect scenarios. I would definitely recommend ...more
Michelle
Oh my gosh this little graphic novel came to me on a day when I just needed something to make me smile so desperately and boy did I ever! I found myself relating to Catwad on the VERY FIRST PAGE! I can be a bit of a grumpasaurus at times when I’m having a bad day and people are overly cheerful.

I absolutely loved both of the characters: Catwad & his happy go lucky best friend Blurmp. Even though they are both cats their relationship kinda reminds me of the good old Ren & Stimpy ( am I sho
Christina
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The very entertaining graphic novel, Catwad, stars the grumpy cat, Catwad, and his best silly friend, Blurmp. We have the joy of following their day to day shenanigans and the funny predicaments they get into. There’s no real story but micro-moments.

I love both characters because they balance each other out. It’s a different kind of friendship. Catwad doesn’t dislike Blurmp; just happiness and fun. Blurmp, meanwhile, loves Catwad unconditionally.

There is an air of whimsy to the art. It’s powerfu
Kristin
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Honestly, I flipped through CATWAD: It’s Me when it was first sent to me and almost tossed it directly into the donation pile. Luckily, before my rush to judgment could cause a CATastrophe, my kids saw it, grabbed it, and devoured the book over and over again. They loved the goofy, sometimes gross, sometimes adorable, and surprisingly tender mini-tales of Catwad, the grumpy cat and his effusively joyful companion Blurmp.

So I read it. And I loved it.

Full review: https://mutterschwester.wordpress.
Akoss
Dec 07, 2018 added it
Shelves: chapter-book
@Kidlitexchange #partner - I received a copy of this book from the Kidlitexchange network in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

Releasing 3/26/19

Cat Wad reminds me a lot of the animated series Adventure Time. I am not a fan of that show because I don’t get the humor. The same goes for this book. So I decided not to give it a rating.
Now I have to say that to the correct audience this book is guaranteed to be a hit. It just wasn’t for me and that’s ok.
Kathy
Jul 11, 2019 rated it liked it
A simple graphic novel, with a grumpy cat interacting with an eternally cheerful dumb cat. Recommended to me by a 4th/5th grader, this has flashes of philosophical brilliance (if a cat loves everything, does the cat love hatred? Answer, yes, because grumpy cat is filled with hatred and cheerful cat loves grumpy cat). I am not the intended audience for this, but kids will like the subversive humor.
Chris Hays
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
I like Jim Benton's previous works. This one was great as an adult, but I am not sure which age level to pitch this. I am sure the students will find it. My description would be Ren and Stimpy essence cleaned up a little for kids. The challenge is some of the humor is still better fit to adults. This comic is worth a flip through if you see it on the shelf or in a book store. The humor might or might not be your style.
Marcie
Total brain candy but kids are going to love this. I did laugh out loud at least 3 times and realize that lots of the humor is going to go over the 3rd-5th graders heads. It actually is set up much like a comic strip (each chapter is essentially what would have been a single Sunday strip in the 60's). I wonder if families are reading graphic books together now they most no longer subscribe to a newspaper.
Meghan
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
I'm a 90s kid, and while I find comfort in my 90s cartoons - I apparently don't find much comfort in current variations that are similar to 90s cartoons. Catwad is very Ren & Stimpy-esque, minus the music from the show... The entire work produced one chuckle in me, but I'm sure certain kids are going to enjoy the heck out of it. I read it because I happen to like graphic novels, but maybe this just isn't my type of humor?
Melissa P
Jul 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you read it from the perspective of a 10-11 year old, this book is perfect. The characters are stay true to who they are without much changing. The details in some of the illustrations add to the ridiculous humor. This graphic novel made me laugh - maybe even lose a few brain cells. I know many of my students will LOVE Catwad. Looking forward to book 2 in September.
Maggie
Catwad was a little more juvenile than what I was expecting, but that being said, I was still amused. There's quite a bit of lowbrow humor, but there are lots of clever and unique stories too. Fans of Grumpy Cat and Garfield will enjoy this book. It's perfect for elementary kids who like fart jokes.
Lola Snyder
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Any book that makes me laugh out loud is worth reading. CatWad: It's Me is such a book. It consists of short vignettes in the life of Catwad and Blurmp who, depending on which you ask, are friends. The first story, Love, may have been read out loud by me to anyone who would listen. While the humor is uneven, most of the stories are good for a giggle.
Panda Incognito
Jun 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019, comics
Even though this book includes types of humor that I don't appreciate, such as toilet jokes and insults, many of the panels were funny enough that I read the whole book. It only seems fair to give it three stars, because even though there were things that I didn't like about it, it held my attention and made me laugh a few times.
« previous 1 3 next »
Benton began his career in a custom design t-shirt shop where he started designing his own characters. At the same time, Jim did illustrations and artwork for magazines and newspapers. People magazine named him "the most visible cartoonist in America" .

Benton also created greeting cards and worked in the magazine and publishing industry. In 1998, his SpyDogs characters became an animated series, T

Catwad (3 books)
  • It's Me, Two (Catwad, #2)
  • Catwad #3