Start by marking “Stolen Girl” as Want to Read:
Stolen Girl

Stolen Girl

(WW2)

Nadia is haunted by World War II. Her memories of the war are messy, coming back to her in pieces and flashes she can't control. Though her adoptive mother says they are safe now, Nadia's flashbacks keep coming.

Sometimes she remembers running, hunger, and isolation. But other times she remembers living with a German family, and attending big rallies where she was praised f
Published February 26th 2019 by Scholastic Press (first published January 28th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Stolen Girl, please sign up.
Marsha It is told from the sister's point of view, but it is entirely different.

Jan 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED this book. And it made my heart ache so much for all the injustices the Nazis committed, especially toward children. The story is told from the point of view of 12 year-old Nadia who arrives in Ontario, Canada in 1950 after the end of WWII from the Displaced Persons’ camp, where she has spent the last five years.

As she adjusts to a new country, new language and new parents who have risked their lives to save her, Nadia suffers nightmares and flashbacks of the things she has endured. She
Abbie
Dec 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“At the DP camps people could speak many languages, but no one spoke like me.” Nadia came from a death camp, but she didn’t know where she was from before that. Nadia is going on an adventure to find out were she came from and who her real parents were. Nadia is the main character in Marsha Forchuk Skrypuch’s book Stolen Child. Nadia came from a death camp with the person she was supposed to call mother. The person she was supposed to call father was in Brantford building a house for the family. ...more
Emily
Another great read from a fantastic author!! Really enjoyed this one, with a another unique perspective of WW2 about the Lebensborn program told through a series of flashbacks. The supporting characters in this one will capture your heart. Marusia and Ivan were so gentle with Nadia throughout the book, and the teachers and children in the story were portrayed in a way that rings true. The big drawback is that I can only find it on iBooks, unless I want to pay 51something on Amazon, which means I ...more
Ms. B
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Companion novel to Making Boms for Hitler. Who is Nadia? How does she find herself living in Canada with a couple who are not her real parents five years after the end of World War II? Where is she originally from? Where are her parents? What happened to her and them during the War? Through flashbacks, Nadia and the reader will both discover the truth.
Those who like Making Boms for Hitler or all stories related to World War II will want to read this one about Nadia(view spoiler)
Nicola Mansfield
Mar 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reason for Reading: I enjoy historical fiction about WWII, especial from a child's point of view.

Comments: This is an extremely compelling story about a subject which I know very little about: The Lebensborn Program. I knew such things were done but haven't really read anything about it before. The story is of Nadia, who moves to Canada with a Ukranian man and woman who are not her parents after World War II. She must call them Mother and Father, though she knows they are not, but they are kind
Chloe Renaud
Such a great historical fiction novel! I loved the sisterly aspects in this book, sooo good!
Melanie Dulaney
Released in 2010 under the title “Stolen Child,” Marsha Forchuk Skrypuch’s fictional account of a young victim of the Nazi Lebensborn program is being released late February 2019 as “Stolen Girl.” The story of Nadia, struggling with a damaged memory of her birth family and the fear that maybe she was the child of a high ranking Nazi official, is heart-breaking and, because it is based on reality, is also horrifying. Written for students in grades 4-6, Skrypuch does not delve too deeply into Nazi ...more
Daniela Rosas
Nem sei como comentar este livro.
Este livro conta a história de Nádia, uma rapariga que fugiu da Europa para o Canadá após a II Guerra Mundial. Nádia vivia com Marusia (a quem tratava por mãe) e Ivan (Que tratava por pai). A história passa-se em 1950 e durante todo o livro vemos a dificuldade em que os refugiados da II guerra mundial vivem.
Nádia ao longo do livro vai tendo pequenos flash de memórias que há muito estavam apagadas da sua memória, ficamos desta forma a saber toda a história da sua
Kim
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kids will love this. Easily pairs with Someone Named Eva.
Stacy
Being re-released as Stolen Girl on 2/26/19
Cherie Nef
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent for the entire library. No swearing or sex. Very little violence.
Vicki
May 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A young girl immigrates to Canada with her new "mother", leaving behind a confusing past in Europe during World War II. She is haunted by nightmares and flashbacks to a past that seems to elude her memories. Another gem by Marsha Forchuk Skrypuch that takes us into a little known horrific chapter of recent history. My only criticism is that the ending was a little abrupt, but lots of background information on the Lebensborn Program instigated by the Nazis is included at the end.
Adelaide Silva
Muito crítica em relação ao tema não consigo dar mais que 3 *. O que é um suposto "diário" necessita de muito enredo para ser entendido. Falta uma sequência cronológica, salva-se pela informação dada sobre o Lebensborn
Quite the significant historical fiction from a child’s point of view. A rather bittersweet step back in time I would say.

I will also say, going into this book, that I had a bit of prior knowledge about what The Lebensborn Program entailed because I am married to a WWII history buff so I understood about how blonde, blue-eyed children disappeared(were stolen), taken by Nazi Officers during Hitler’s reign to help with Heinrich Himmler's project.

Here's a short 7min video that might be worth list
Ms. Yingling
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
E ARC from Edelweiss Plus

Nadia and Marusia arrive in Canada after being in Displaced Persons camps in Europe. They are Ukrainian, and Nadia is supposed to refer to Marusia as her mother. They are met by Ivan, who has come ahead and is building a house for the family. There is a small Ukrainian population that is very helpful, and well as a kindly woman who teaches Nadia English before she starts school. Nadia knows that Marusia and Ivan love her, but also feels that they are not really her paren
Sarah Hunnicutt
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to the #kidlitexchange network for the review copy of this book. All opinions are my own!

This book was an interesting historical fiction account of a the "Lebensborn" project. Nadia has survived WWII and has so many conflicting and confusing memories. She now lives with two adopted parents in Canada and is safe. Her flashbacks are causing a lot of trouble though.

She is so confused because she has memories of so many parents. Which ones are her real parents? She remembers attending Nazi r
Erika
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
@kidlitexchange #partner Thank you to @scholasticinc, author Marsha Forchuk Skrypuch (@skrypuch) and the #kidlitexchange network for the review copy of this book. Any opinions are my own.

STOLEN GIRL by Marsha Forchuk Skrypuch tells the story of Nadia, who emigrates to Canada from a Displaced Persons camp at the end of WWII.

We find out right away that Nadia doesn’t quite know how she found her guardians, Maruisa and Ivan, but she knows that they will keep her safe, as long as no one knows that th
Shasta Bos
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mari Anne
Feb 17, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars for this post WW2 novel that illuminates a part of the Nazi's reign of terror that I hadn't heard of before. The Lebensborn program basically kidnapped Aryan looking children from their Eastern European families, brain washed them and placed them with German families. This novel explores the aftermath of that action on one young girl that had relocated to Canada. While I loved the story, the ending seemed a bit abrupt and rushed. I am looking forward to reading the companion book, Maki ...more
PirateKitty101
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stolen Girl was a interesting, mostly captivating book. I did like that it was set around the time of WW2. It did have an amount of mystery, however, there was one mystery uncovered, and then another. Both of them seemed sort of the same to me, but with different context. This book is not for someone looking for a scary or violent book, however isn't fit for a young kid to read. If you like sort of in between, you would probably like this book, however I would have preferred if it were a bit mor ...more
Madelyn
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading a junior fiction novel about a child going through PTSD was very interesting. The author was spot-on with the way she described some of the symptoms (i.e. the main character had flashbacks and nightmares that were written about with accuracy). It may be terrifying for children though to read some of the stuff that this child went through as it's related to World War 2. Yet in a way, it was very informative about WW2.
Caroline
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
J'ai beaucoup aimé. Le point de vue d'une adolescente sur la guerre, avec de l'espoir et de la douceur, de l'humanité à la clé. On y apprend sur les enfants "non aryens" mais ayant les traits "aryens", kidnappés par l'armée nazie pendant la guerre pour être élevés dans des familles allemandes. M'a rappelé "Ce qu'ils ont pas pu nous prendre", que j'avais adoré.
Maria Carmo
This was a discovery for me: the poignant research about "Lebensborn" Nazi Programe to steal blond, blue eyed children of Eastern European countries and raise them as Nazi!
The Diary is written already in the early fifties, when Nadia arrives in Canada and slowly adapts to her new, much freer life. But all the happiness she feels to be there with her "Parents", is thwarted by the fact that she is haunted by strange memories that puzzle and frighten her...
Definitely a good read!

Maria Carmo,

Lisbon
Michelle
I had the privledge of meeting the author, Marsha Skrypuch, when she visited our school. Our students enjoyed hearing her stories and how she wrote the books. Our students really connected when she talked about her "gift of dyslexia". Our students were impressed that nshe has dyslexia and is a writer of many, many books.
Caren
The story of what happens to Lida’s (Making Bombs for Hitler) little sister Larissa.
The Lebensborn Program: a program when the Nazis literally stole children from the Ukrainians and brainwashed them into believing they were Germans.
They had to be blond and blue eyed.
Lea
Oct 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Do you enjoy books that tug at your heartstrings?

How about ones that you just can’t put down?

Then you will appreciate the writing style that Ms. Skrypuch uses as she tells us the story of a young girl struggling to piece together the fragmented memories of her past. She engages our senses, using smells, flavours and colours to bring the memories to life.

We are transported to 1950 Brantford – a small town in Ontario, Canada – with an immigrant family as they work to acclimate to their new home an
Karen Gedeon
Companion to Making Bombs for Hitler - tells younger sister Larissa's story of being stolen by the Nazis and being adopted into a German family due to her aryan appearance. Those who like Making Bombs will enjoy Larissa's story.
Lisa
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I never knew the Nazis would steal children who looked German for their own families. Hitler wanted more Germans to have children and they weren’t producing enough. This girl was one of the stolen children.
Sarah Kowalke
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
very unique story! I loved learning about Nadia's past throughout the book. However, it upset me that Nadia never found what I wanted her to find. If you have read the other book or this one you'll know what I'm talking about.
Harriette
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Skillfully told by the narrator whose flashbacks begin to help her sort out her identity. Known as Nadia and brought from Europe with a female guardian who cares for her like a mother, this young girl faces many adjustments on arriving in Canada after the second world war. So glad that this hidden part of Ukrainian history has been brought to light!
Movie ? 1 3 Jan 06, 2014 08:53PM
  • Benno and the Night of Broken Glass
  • One Thousand Tracings: Healing the Wounds of World War II
  • Los niños de la estrella amarilla
  • A Célula Adormecida
  • Die Wormworld Saga: Die Reise beginnt
  • The Door with Seven Locks
  • Barbed Wire Baseball
  • Sugar Falls: A Residential School Story
Marsha has received numerous awards and honours for her picture books and young adult novels, including a nomination for the Canadian Library Association Book of the Year in 2007. Marsha has penned the bestselling Dear Canada book, Prisoners in the Promised Land.

In 2008, Marsha was awarded the Order of Princess Olha by the Ukranian President, in recognition of her story, Enough, which described th

WW2 (3 books)