Start by marking “The Light Jar” as Want to Read:

The Light Jar

A story of fear and hope, loneliness and friendship -- full of the heart, engaging characters, and propulsive, page-turning mystery that made The Goldfish Boy so beloved.
Nate and his mother are running away. Fleeing from an emotionally abusive situation, they hide out in an abandoned cottage in the middle of a forest. Though it's old and run-down, at least it's a place of
Published February 26th 2019 by Scholastic Press (first published January 4th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about The Light Jar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Light Jar

Ruby Granger
Whilst notably a bit young for me, I did enjoy this as a quick, relaxing read. Thompson's mystery is intriguing and, well, not something that I can say I've ever come across in this sort of novel (that's not a bad thing!). I especially enjoyed Nate's provincial routine after being left alone in the cottage - there is something quite comforting in reading about this.

Keep in mind that there is some referral to domestic violence but Thompson ensures that it is neither graphic nor inappropriate for
Jaynie.Hufflepuff
I loved Lisa Thompson’s debut ‘The Goldfish Boy’ which a special book to me, so when I heard of her news of her new book at the beginning of the year I was so excited and intrigued at the story prospect of ‘The Light Jar’ and I’m thrilled to say I bloomin’ loved it!!

It’s always a mixture of feelings when an author whom you love their previous work brings out a new book - there’s excitement, anticipation and apprehension as to whether it’ll stand up to their other books and I can honestly say th
Gabriella
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: year-6
Really enjoyed this book. I think it had some eery and tough subjects that may upset some children which is why I suggest only year 6 children read it such as broken family relationships and the suggestion of emotional abuse by one of the characters. However, I think the tough topics were lightened by the inclusion of the imaginary characters. I think the reader went through all the emotions that the main character did. I would recommend this book to children as I think it does introduce and add ...more
Joost
Ahhhhh Lisa Thompson kan echt zulke mooie boeken schrijven, ik heb de Nederlandse editie als ebook mogen lezen, maar ik ben nu zo benieuwd naar het fysieke exemplaar die deze week uitkomt! Zeker een aanrader :) Recensie volgt!
Matt Davies
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
2017 was a superb year for children’s literature. Established authors produced some outstanding books, but, for me, 2017 was about discovering new authors. One of the outstanding breakthroughs of 2017 was Lisa Thompson’s Goldfish Boy, a whodunnit seen through the eyes of a teenager with OCD. It was a captivating read which shed light on mental health issues for children.

Now as 2018 begins, the year of books has begun with a bang. January has already seen a handful of books which promise to becom
Ria
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
De auteur van ‘De Goudvisjongen’ heeft met haar tweede boek ‘De Nachtlantaarn’ weer een bijzonder indringend verhaal geschreven. Thompson schrijft over grote thema’s.
De elfjarige Nathan maakt nogal wat mee in zijn jonge leven. Een vader die hij niet meer ziet, oma en vriendjes die hij mist, maar als er psychische mishandeling plaatsvindt en het gevolg eenzaamheid en onbegrip is, is het moeilijk om nog een onbezorgd kind te zijn. Toch is dit ook een verhaal van hoop, sterker worden, loslaten en v
Scott Evans (MrEPrimary)
A deeply original mystery so tenderly told in the most profound, sensitive, intricate, authentic and moving of ways.

Like a moth attracted to the light, I was instantly drawn to reading The Light Jar due to its intriguing plot however I hadn’t anticipated anything like just how captivating it would end up being. So much so, that I read a whopping 106 pages within the first hour of receiving it!

We first encounter Nate and his mum hurriedly speeding off in the car in the middle of the night towar
Julia Thum
I really enjoyed Lisa Thompson’s first novel The Goldfish Boy and so was thrilled when her next one, The Light Jar, landed on my doorstep.

The Light Jar, written in the first person, is narrated by eleven year old Nate who welcomes you into his world and takes you with him on an intriguing and heartfelt mystery. The cast of characters is vivid, the story is enticing and the setting for Nate’s extraordinary adventure cinematic. I was right there with Nate in the tumbledown cottage in the frosty w
Mehsi
A boy, a guardian angel, a girl, a treasure hunt, and a past that wasn't the best.

Welp, this was so promising, and this was one of the book I looked forward SO MUCH. I loved the author's first book, adored it even, and I was hoping to find the same magic in this one. Sadly, no. There were good parts and a lot of bad parts.

Instead of writing a normal review I will write a good/bad review:
-The Treasure Hunt, and this one will also pop up in the bad part as there were things I didn't like. I just a
Robin Stevens
Dec 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved Lisa's first book The Goldfish Boy, and this is another wonderful mystery from her. It's about a boy on the run from his abusive stepfather, who ends up alone in a strange place in the middle of winter. Nate has to survive - and also learn how to make friends and help others, as he's asked to solve a very important puzzle ... This is a lovely story and I was completely gripped by it. You will be too! (8+)

*Please note: this review is meant as a recommendation only. Please do not use it in
Janette
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-or-ya
First book of the year and it was a good one. The story of a young boy coping in his own after his mother mysteriously disappears. The gradual revealing of his back story really hits home. The imaginary friends theme would link beautifully with AF Harold's The Imaginary
gem
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely adored this book!

The story itself starts of in dramatic fashion with Nate & his mum having to leave their home to escape the clutches of his mums awful boyfriend, Gary. Gary sounds like a very nasty person, controlling, manipulative & intent on having things his own way.
When Nate & his mum arrive at a friends old cottage they find it is not exactly in the state they expected, in fact its pretty ramshackle & in a poor state. A chicken, who seems to have pooped over e
Bianca Schrijft
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
De boeken van Lisa Thompson zijn hard op weg om bekend te staan als ideale taboe doorbrekers en dat voor een leeftijdsgroep waarbij je taboe, sociale uitsluiting, enz. eigenlijk niet wil tegenkomen. In het geval van De Nachtlantaarn is het een onveilig plek als thuis, het zien van een onzichtbare vriend als reddingsmiddel en het verlies van een ouder. Allemaal onderwerpen die niet makkelijk besproken worden en zeker niet met en door kinderen. Toch zou dit wel moeten. De wereld en de blik op de m ...more
MrBReads
Jan 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 52books2018
Superb! An eleven year old boy, Nate, is whisked away from an abusive stepfather in the middle of the night by his desperate mother. When she fails to return from fetching supplies, Nate has to fight against his fears to survive. Unexpected meetings and mysteries follow, as we get a glimpse of how his past, and his experiences of domestic abuse, have shaped Nate's young life. Will keep you guessing til the very last page!
Deborah
I didn’t enjoy it as much as Goldfish Boy, but still like that the author writes from the child’s viewpoint, and with simple prose conveys so much more underlying meaning. A tender story of Nate and his mum escaping a domestic situation, and hiding in a derelict cottage. When Nate’s Mum disappears, Nate must draw on his own strength and resilience to cope alone while he hopes for his mum’s return.
Hanneke
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Een bijzonder ontroerend verhaal, maar wel heel heftig voor een jeugdboek. Ik werd er direct door gegrepen. Hoe zou het verder gaan met Nathan en hoe zat dat nu met Kitty en.. waar was z'n moeder?? Het verhaal werd geen enkel ogenblik saai. Dit heeft de schrijfster nog beter gedaan dan in haar debuut Goudvisjongen. Ik vind het een goed voorleesboek voor kinderen vanaf 10 jaar. Het is weer eens wat anders!
16McLarenF
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book because it is very unpredictable and it hooks you in right from the beginning. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves a bit of mystery and adventure. My favourite character in this book is Sam because although he only comes in to the book a few times, he is a significant and very unusual character.
Anneke
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
De Britse Lisa Thompson debuteerde vorig jaar met het jeugdboek De goudvisjongen over de 12-jarige Matthew die door omstandigheden zijn kamer moet verlaten, ondanks zijn dwangneurose. Ook in haar nieuwste boek, De nachtlantaarn, is de hoofdrol weggelegd voor een kwetsbare jongen van dezelfde leeftijd.

De titel van het boek verwijst naar een soort lamp die Nathans moeder voor hem maakte om hem te helpen zijn angst voor het donker te overwinnen. Nathan was nog erg jong toen zijn vader besloot een n
Rachel Huskisson
A great second novel by Lisa Thompson, It doesn't shy away from difficult subject areas but addresses them sensitively enough that it can be accessed by younger children. I will definitely be recommending this one at school.
Christina Reid
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful, emotional read with an endearing narrator and important messages about love and imagination. Full review to come!
Louise
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hope can be found in the strangest places. Nate and his Mum head to an abandoned cottage to escape emotionally abusive Gary. When Mum disappears, Nate needs the help of his old imaginary friend to work out what to do. At the same time, a strange girl called Kitty draws Nate into a treasure hunt ....

A sensitive and beautifully written story which I read in one sitting. The child’s voice is spot-on, and I love imaginary friend Sam. Enough information is given about the mystery for young readers to
 Debra (WifeEclectic)
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is definitely one of those books that I think parents like for their middle graders more than their middle graders like it themselves, but it was really beautiful.
❣Amy and Sofie ❣
" were safe here Nate "

Lisa Thompson's second book.
Nate and mum run away from evil gary. Nate rencounters his imaginary friend, Sam.
Then he meets Kitty.
And his whole world turns upside down. As mum disappears the minute he meets Kitty.

The ending was just like a fairy tale. I read his when I was 10, so I thought it was good then. But now, I must say its not what I last thought.
This book is kinda strange in some ways. And a lot of odd hiding places and adventures.

I reccomend this to younger re
Niamh
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Light Jar by Lisa Thompson. A fantastic read.
Nate and his mum escape in the middle of the night to an abandoned cottage in the middle of nowhere. When his mum goes out for food and doesn't come back, Nate is all alone. When someone from his childhood reappears and he meets a strange girl on a treasure hunt, NOTHING makes sense.
A story of friendship and loneliness. A great read. 4/5*
A.J. Avery
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mg-tween-teen
BY LISA THOMPSON

BLURB:
Nate and his mother are running away, hiding out in a tumbledown cottage in the middle of a forest. When Mum heads off for provisions, and then doesn't return, Nate is left alone and afraid, with the dark closing in all around him. But comfort can come from the most unexpected of places - a mysterious girl trying to solve the clues of a treasure hunt and the reappearance of an old friend from his past. Will Nate find the bravery needed to face the troubles of
Valerie McEnroe
Lisa Thompson has done it again. I loved The Goldfish Boy. With another well-written book to her name, she has set the bar. I've read a lot of books and can say that her writing talent easily puts her in the top 10% of all middle grade authors.

Thompson sets up a perfect mystery right from the start. Nate finds himself on the road in the middle of the night heading out on holiday according to his mum. He can tell she's nervous, especially when a car settles in behind them. Eventually, they arrive
Ms. Yingling
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it

Thompson, Lisa. The Light Jar

February 26th 2019 by Scholastic Press

E ARC from Edelweiss Plus

Nate and his mother leave their home in the middle of the night to get away from Gary, an emotionally abusive boyfriend. At first, Nate thinks that they are going to stay with his grandmother, but she and his mother are not on great terms. The two end up in a very run down cottage belonging to a deceased friend of the grandmother's, far off in the woods. Nate settles in, and his mother goes to get some g
Zac
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh. My. Gosh! Lisa Thompson had my heart in her hand the whole way through her amazing book! The Light Jar is everything I hoped it would be and more. Her debut novel, The Goldfish Boy is one of my absolute favourite books and The Light Jar was just as brilliant.

The Light Jar follows Nate as he is whisked from his home by his Mum in the middle of the night and taken to a run down cottage in the middle of nowhere. Nate knows why they have come here and we learn the reasons for their escape as th
Amanda
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to the @kidlitexchange network for the review copy of this book - all opinions are my own.
The Light Jar by Lisa Thompson is a heart pulling, intense tale of a boy facing down his fears.

Nate and his mother are on the run from Nate’s stepdad. They end up at an old cottage in the middle of a forest. It smells, has a chicken, and is run down. Nate is uncertain of the future, but knows that he can hide his fears as long as his mom is nearby. When his mom goes out for groceries and doesn’t ret
Hilde
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Deze review staat volledig op mijn blog hillybillybeauty.nl met foto's

“Ik huiverde. Het was koud en schemerig in de kamer en hij zou niet meer terugkomen, nooit meer. Ik wreef over mijn gezicht. Hij was weg. En weer was ik moederziel alleen.”
‘De nachtlantaarn’ is een boek wat mij nog lang zal bijblijven. Een boek over vriendschappen, angst, eenzaamheid, hoop en liefde. Wat heb ik genoten van dit prachtige boek!

De nachtlantaarn is een prachtig vormgegeven boek. Hardcover met een pakkende cover.
  • Sky Chasers
  • The Gift of Dark Hollow (The Five Realms #2)
  • Charlie and Me: 421 Miles From Home
  • There May Be a Castle
  • The Eye of the North
  • The Distance Between Me and the Cherry Tree
  • Tin
  • Kick
  • Beetle Queen (The Battle of the Beetles #2)
  • Begone the Raggedy Witches (The Wild Magic Trilogy #1)
  • The Infinite Lives of Maisie Day
  • Wed Wabbit
  • The Boy At the Back of the Class
  • Sea (The Huntress Trilogy #1)
  • The Colour of the Sun