Start by marking “Blizzard Besties: A Wish Novel” as Want to Read:
Blizzard Besties: A Wish Novel

Blizzard Besties: A Wish Novel

Debut Latina author Yamile Saied Méndez joins the WISH list with a wintry adventure in the vein of Hot Cocoa Hearts and Pugs and Kisses.
Vanesa Campos can't wait for winter vacation. Skiing on the slopes, sipping hot cocoa . . . her week at Pinecloud Lodge promises to be cozy and perfect. And maybe she can make some new friends! Never mind that glamorous Beck writes off Van
Published December 26th 2018 by Scholastic Inc.

Start your review of Blizzard Besties: A Wish Novel
Stephanie Fitzgerald
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: I wouldn’t
This one was not as good as I expected. Too much teen drama and not enough about the dog.
Adriana Martinez Figueroa
Blizzard Besties: A Wish Novel is a mix of wonder, adventure, and pre-teen angst that could only be found in a Middle Grade. The story follows a young girl named Vanesa Campos, who’s spending her holiday break skiing with her family, which is comprised of Mami, Papi, and her little brother. Hunter. However, Vanesa’s had what we call “una mala racha,” or, a string of bad luck. On her past birthdays and holidays, bad stuff has happened to her or someone close to her, and thus Vanesa’s trying n ...more
American Mensa
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Campos family is finally on vacation! After a long time of saving up money, they get to stay at the Pinecloud Lodge. Here, Mami and Papi can relax with massages, and have a well deserved break. Meanwhile, Vanessa and Hunter can have some fun by skiing, eating s’mores, and watching a big-screen movie with other kids.

No one is more excited about this winter get-away than Vanessa. For years, she has been dreaming about the Pinecloud Lodge, and the perfect vacation she would have. However, Vane
Aida Salazar
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I can't wait for the launch of this wonderful tale of friendship, familial love, and loyalty. Set at a ski resort during a blizzard, Mendez' rich writing takes us directly into the heart of a storm both personal and physical and when we emerge, we are the better for it. Coming soon!
Diane
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Utterly charming story about a girl who learns what kinds of friends to value during a storm-crossed winter vacation. The descriptions of the mountains are so beautiful they make me want to visit Utah!
Rylee
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ms. Yingling
Jan 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Public Library Copy

Vanesa is super excited that her family is going on a real vacation to a ski resort and not to visit family. She's read about all of the teen activities, from ski lessons to s'more making, and can't wait. When the family arrives, she has a run in with the daughter of the people who own the resort, and she and Beck don't get along. After her parents go to get massages, Vanesa decides not to wake her brother Hunter up to go to ski lessons, but leaves a note for him to stay put.
Michelle Stimpson
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: taught, local-authors
Yamile Saied Mendez is this generation's Gary Soto. BLIZZARD BESTIES is an action-packed adventure featuring Latinx kids. The majority of my students are Latinx, and though they enjoy novels that deal with the struggles of being Latinx, they also enjoy a good, fun read that features a protagonist who looks like them. And they also enjoy when there's maybe a ghost.

Although I've finished the book, my students are a little better than half way through it and they are eating it right up. It's been
Marcia Maidana
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love stories that are well written, fast-paced, with well-developed characters—Blizzard Besties is all this and more. Once I started reading it, I couldn’t put it down. It’s a story that reminds us of the good around us and the importance of true friendship. I hope that Ms. Mendez will write more stories featuring Vanesa and her friends.
Scott
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fun, suspenseful story of adventure, friendship, and finding one's self when things get rough.
Rachel
Fun and playful adventure story with a strong protagonist who grows in the course of the story. Has a good adventure story line too. Set in Utah
Ava from Alaska
May 04, 2020
Saira Haji
Oct 10, 2020
Yamile Méndez
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
janet elliott
Dec 20, 2019
Ella
Jul 02, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »

• Graceful (Willow Falls, #5)
  • Finally (Willow Falls, #2)
  • The Last Present (Willow Falls, #4)
  • 13 Gifts (Willow Falls, #3)
  • 11 Birthdays (Willow Falls, #1)
  • Silver Meadows Summer
  • The Moon Within
  • Ana María Reyes Does Not Live in a Castle
  • Maybe He Just Likes You
  • The Truth Game (The Dirt Diary, #4)
  • The Gossip File (The Dirt Diary, #3)
  • The Prank List (The Dirt Diary, #2)
  • Paperboy
  • The Potato Chip Puzzles (The Puzzling World of Winston Breen #2)
  • The Island of Dr. Libris
  • The Dirt Diary (The Dirt Diary, #1)
  • Taste of Salt: A Story of Modern Haiti
  • the chocolate challenge
Yamile (sha-MEE-lay) is a fútbol obsessed Argentine-American. She’s the mother of 5 kids and 2 adorable dogs. Yamile’s an inaugural Walter Dean Meyers Grant recipient, a graduate of Voices of our Nation (VONA) and the Vermont College of Fine Arts MFA Writing for Children program.
She’s represented by Linda Camacho, from the Gallt and Zacker Literary Agency.