Start by marking “Tin” as Want to Read:
Tin

Tin

In this gripping, imaginative, and hilarious adventure -- comprised of an unforgettable crew of misfits -- a boy and his mechanical friends discover the truth about his past.
"Robots never seemed so human. One of a kind and utterly fantastic." -- Eoin Colfer

In an alternative England of the 1930s where the laws of mechanics govern even the most talented engineers, a mismatch
Published March 26th 2019 by Chicken House (first published February 1st 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Tin, please sign up.

Nick Campbell
As a long-term reader of the Oz books, I was intrigued by the title and cover of Padraig Kenny’s Tin. I’m always curious about British responses to Oz: an all-American classic, too often known only as a musical that emphasises on staying in your own backyard. On first opening Kenny’s novel, though, we might think references to Asimov would be more appropriate than L. Frank Baum. Here is a set of rules on preserving the distinction between “mechanicals” and “proper humans”, and the mysterious ter ...more
Amy
Jun 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5.
It was a lovely read and I loved how the robots all seemed so human. It’s a really nice and easy read! The ending was so so lovely too! It finished it off nicely!
Stephanie
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's a children's book and I read it as such.
I mostly read adult fantasy/Sci-fi, O was not looking at it from that perspective.

This was a wonderful story.
I fell in love with the characters and world they belong to.

I am so glad the shop assistant recommended this little treasure to me. I know it's one I will read again and again.

It made me cry at the end (in a good way) , and that's all you need to know.
Elaine Carass
What a fun book.

This book centers on a group of mechanicals who set out to rescue one of there own who isn't all he seems. It's about the lengths friends will go to to help no matter the differences.

This book throws you straight in to the story and in the opening chapters we meet Christopher, Jack, round Rob, Manda and Gripper. When Christopher is taken after its discovered he's not a proper boy, his friends set out to find his creator and get him back.
What follows is a series of little adventu
Sinéad O'Hart
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the finest children's books I've read in a very long time, Tin was a marvellous, moving exploration of what makes us human (can we really be sure?), the nature of war, the morality of genius, and the profound power of love and friendship. Beautifully written and evocatively described, with a cast of distinct characters both human and mechanical, this is a book to treasure.
Nadine
Jun 02, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: upper-primary
3.5 stars. One of this year's Red Dot books. Good amount of action inbetween the quest scenes. I feel that the "characters" were never really fully developed, but rather pastiches of 'types'. I would have liked to have Estelle have more of a role instead of just the smoldering resentful female. The whole book I felt that it had been written with transferring to a screen play in mind and that was somewhat disconcerting.
A few interesting 'big themes' about what it is to be human, what it is to ha
Noodles78
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Started on a whim as it's our children's book of the month and I thought I could get some clues as to what it's like. Cut to give hours later and I'm sobbing, curled up on my chair is desperate need of a wee and something to eat and drink.

Such a great friendship, journey book. Loved all the characters, especially Manda, Round Robbie and Gripper.
Year 6 CSCPS
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Abdul Raheem - 6a (10 years old)

Tin is one of my most favourite books. It is about an adventure where a few robot friends go on a mission to save their "kind of real" friend. It is quite emotional as they face many difficulties along the way but they stay strong and continue. It shows how strong friendship can be, even if it is between robots. I highly recommend you purchase this book; I am sure you will not regret it.

Ala - 6c (10 years old)

I love Tin because of all the characters and their pers
Erika
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
@kidlitexchange #partner
Thank you to the KidLitExchange network, @padraig_kenny and @scholasticinc for a review copy of this book. All opinions and ideas expressed are my own. 📚Taste a Book Tuesday📚
Pick up a copy of this book and you may think it is a Wizard of Oz inspired story. It has many similar themes, but is definitely not a yellow brick road story.

We first meet Christopher, a “proper human”, and his ragtag group of mechanical friends as they work alongside their creator, Mr. Absalom. We
Katy Noyes
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What it means to be human - children's story about robots.

Intriguing and exciting story in the vein of I Robot, A.I. and The Wizard of Oz. In this world, there are robotic laws to control the mechanoids created by humans, one of which is that these creations are only allowed to be child-sized.

With Absalom, a sub-par engineer, a group of mechanicals eke out a living, having bonded together as friends. The disparate group contains the usual mix of personalities, and includes a 'real boy', a 'prope
Artemissia Gold
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romans-jeunesse
Comment résister à une telle couverture ? Elle est juste somptueuse ! Tout comme le résumé qui donne très envie. J’avais hâte de me plonger dans cet univers aux allures de fiction steampunk, mais pour les plus jeunes. D’ailleurs, le roman s’adresse à des enfants et peut être lu à partir de 10 ans. Toutefois, les adultes y trouveront également leur compte s’ils ont encore une âme d’enfant 😉
Si j’ai eu un peu de mal au tout début, dès que l’action démarre, tout s’enchaîne et impossible de reposer c
Rebecca
I'm not really a fan of this book. For me it was just too young for me.

The main characters are a group of mechanicals; Christopher, Jack, round Rob, Manda and Gripper. When Christopher goes missing the rest go off on an adventure to find him. I also thought it might be more to do with the wizard of Oz due to the title and cover picture but instead it was more futuristic (mechanical people).

There few secondary characters because there are so many main characters.

The storyline is OK but it was
Trish
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an endearing story about friendship, family, and discovery of who you are.

We follow a group of friends from the beginning, all precious in their way, and there journey to find a friend and discover themselves. Bad guys are afoot and the nefarious plan needs to be stopped.

When Christopher is taken, his friends go out to find him and recruit help along the way. We are transported to a world where mechanical beings are brought to life and see what that world may look like and/or how they
Mark
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile, fantasy
Connie
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My homework for this month, I really enjoyed this and don't mind admitting I had a wee lump in my throat at the end.
Orphan boy Christopher saves one of his scrap-metal buddies from being hit by a car and an awful truth is revealed.
When men claiming to be from the Agency arrive and arrest Christopher, his friends come up with a plan to bring him home. As the book says, it's an adventure of discovery of who and what they are.
Kieran Fanning
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A terrific Wizard of Oz type of adventure filled with human & metal characters. Like an episode of Robot Wars, but with heart. There is "no nobler thing in the world to do than to create and to take care of precious things." Beautifully written, too.
Bookwormandtheatremouse
This book has a pretty powerful - think so tears could be shed by many a reader. This book is an interesting story about man and machine and the risk of playing God. It reflects the world we live in but at its heart it has some powerful messages about family, friends and the power of memory too. A lovely little book!
Lucy Brown
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a heartwarming story. Kenny's strong characterisation is definitely what makes this book.
Angela Groves
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful adventure full of hope and friendship, set in an alternate Britain. I found myself pulled in to a world where The Wizard of Oz meets the kids film Robots, it was wonderful.
Kelly
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: physical-arcs, 2018
Tin by Padraig Kenny is about Christopher, a ‘proper’ orphan who is the only real boy in a group of mechanical children who work for Mr Absalom the engineer. An accident reveals an astonishing truth which leads the friends on an adventure full of danger.

I adored this book!! I couldn’t put it down from the minute I started and read it in one evening because I stayed up waaaay too late devouring it. The ‘This Book in Three Words’ bubble that Chicken House publishing put on the back of their kids
Matt Davies
Christopher is 'Proper': a real boy with soul. Since becoming an orphan, he works for an engineer who creates mechanicals. Then disaster strikes and an accident unveils a secret which changes Christopher's life forever. Before long, Christopher is in danger and needs his mechanical family to save him.

The idea of mechanicals living in a human world is not a new one. You need only think of Asimov's works of The Wizard of Oz to see this - there are many subtle references to Oz in Tin. More recently
Stephen Connor
A fast-paced story centring around Christopher, a boy who lives with mechanicals - sentient robots, essentially.

When Christopher finds out something shocking about his past, he and his friends set off to discover the truth, leading to whirlwind encounters with deranged inventors and power-hungry control freaks.

The language here is rich and absorbing, every line used to develop each character fully and further storylines to such an extent that they could have their own stories. Round Rob was a
V.S. Nelson
This book had some really great components to it and I certainly enjoyed it, but sadly, not as much as I thought I was going to. It reminded me of so many other stories. There were elements of Oliver Twist, Astro Boy, Casshern Sins (anime) and of course the Wizard of Oz, but I liked that as I don't feel that the author copied any of these stories, more so used them as inspiration.
The concept of mechanicals was smart as it merged science fiction with magic and Round Rob was a really great charact
Stephen Baird
Follow the ragtag band of mechanicals as they search for Christopher, who has been abducted by someone who wants to discover his deepest secrets.

Throughout this gripping adventure, set in an England of alternative 1930s where mechanicals (robots) are common, there is a huge nod to ‘The Wizard of Oz’, a curmodgeonly wizard, evil witch, someone longing for home, and a ragtag band of friends who are on their own journeys of discovery.

Pádraig has developed a wonderfully believable world where Pinocc
Geoff Lynas
Chose this because of the promise of a Steampunk flavour offered by the cover and talk of 'mechanicals'. So, that worked out fine. Nice setting and not too heavy-handed. Strengths of this story. Some very endearing characters (Round Rob is my favourite). Good fast-moving story. A strong (unpleasant) world domination villain - although, obviously, early days in his plans, as he hasn't got very far yet. Mostly, the mechanicals were sweet, admirable, brave and sometimes pathetic. Mostly, the humans ...more
Trisha
Charming adventure that becomes quite action-packed towards the end.
KidlitUnderground
#Kidlit Exchange #Partner - Thank you Kidlit Exchange  and Scholastic, with a little help from Pádraig Kenny, for the ARC of Middle-Grade steampunk/sci-fi TIN.

It’s somewhere between WW1 and WW2 in alternate history England, and robotics engineers and their creations are governed by The Agency, a shadowy and authoritarian government entity. They have to be: Robots can be made to resemble humans, and technology exists to ensoul them.

While eleven-year-old Christopher remembers his time at the orph
Motherbooker
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From my review at motherbookerblog.com:

"When I first decided to read this book I expected it to be a twee little story about an orphaned boy and his little robot friends going on an adventure. What I actually got was something much deeper that goes into the finer details of what it means to be human. This feels like an incredibly grown-up book and it was an absolute joy to read. Writer Pádraig Kenny has not only come up with a fantastic concept for his story but he has fit it into a really well-
Ms. Yingling
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
E ARC from Edelweiss Plus

Christopher is an orphan boy who works for Mr. Absalom, an engineer who creates mechanicals, a 1930s version of robots. These mechanicals are not perfect, and are all children, according to the English laws of the time. The group ekes out an existence, doing work and repairs for income. Mr. Absalom even tries to sell one of his works, Jack, but that falls through. When Christopher is injured, the truth is revealed-- he is not human, but mechanical like his friends. Not o
  • Jane Doe and the Cradle of All Worlds (Jane Doe Chronicles #1)
  • Secrets of a Sun King
  • The Infinite Lives of Maisie Day
  • Charlie and Me: 421 Miles From Home
  • The Colour of the Sun
  • The Eye of the North
  • Where the World Ends
  • The Land of Neverendings
  • The Girl Who Rode the Wind
  • The Gift of Dark Hollow (The Five Realms #2)
  • Snowglobe