Start by marking “Claudia and the Sad Good-bye (The Baby-sitters Club, #26)” as Want to Read:
Claudia and the Sad Good-bye (The Baby-sitters Club, #26)

Claudia and the Sad Good-bye

(The Baby-Sitters Club #26)

Claudia has always been close to her grandmother, Mimi, so she needs the help of her friends in the Baby-sitters Club to deal with Mimi's death.
Published June 1st 1997 by Scholastic Inc. (first published January 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Claudia and the Sad Good-bye, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Claudia and the Sad Good-bye

Marian
It's been years since I read Claudia and the Sad Good-bye, mostly because I was pretty sure that if Louie's death in Kristy and the Snobs would still affect me after all this time (and the loss of grandparents and pets), Mimi's death would be even worse.

So I waited. And waited. And then my father had a stroke earlier this year... and then he died while the hospital seemed content to do absolutely nothing. So I waited a little longer... and I decided to chance the book again.

It's funny how you ca
Rachel Brand
Nov 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children, own, 2010
I think this book will always hold special value for me because I read it on the day that my Grandma died. She's suffered from Alzheimer's for years, to the point where she no longer recognised her own children, and this winter she came down with a chest infection and had to be hospitalised. Basically, her body started to shut down and we got the news on Tuesday that she was in a coma and would die within 24 hours. So I decided it was a good time to read this book.

I found it to be a pretty good
Swankivy
I always hated when the cover and title of these books told me exactly what was going to happen. "Sad Good-bye"? Picture of Claudia's beloved grandma on the cover? You do the math. But I was actually kinda glad that instead of acting like Mimi's death is a surprise that the kids reading won't expect, they end up making the family's grief part of the plot. Claudia's parents deliberately distract themselves with work and she's kinda like "Wait, how do I get through this?" Her sister, who's usually ...more
Logan Hughes
Apr 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: babysitters-club
Don't--just don't ask me to describe this book right now. I'm a little... I've been cutting onions, okay?

The title spoils you for what you know will be the "death of Mimi" book, but the death itself doesn’t occur until halfway through the book, after an agonizing series of frustratingly ineffective hospital stays. Mimi seems to be getting better, and Claudia has a nice conversation with her on the phone the night before she gets up early in the morning for a drink of water and finds her mother c
Jenn
Feb 21, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bsc
Ugh, I've been dreading this book since I started this whole reread project! It's so freaking sad, I can hardly stand it....read more here.
Ashley
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, bsc, own, reread
I'm sure I've cried at this book before, though it never resonated with me the way Louie's death in #11 did. But I definitely cried this time, a few different times.

I thought this book was very good, I thought it depicted the death of a loved one quite well. I liked reading about all the emotions that Claudia dealt with, it was quite realistic.

Sidenote: As I was reading about Claudia describing each club member and her family situation, I got annoyed that Nannie lived with the Thomas-Brewer fam
Shira
Dec 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
this is my first time reading this book!

wow. well done, ann. the main plot in this book is that claudia's grandmother mimi keeps getting sicker and having to go back into the hospital only to have the doctors clueless about what's wrong with her. finally, she dies. in the subplot, claudia and mary anne start an art class for some bsc charges including new kid corrie addison. corrie's mom basically wants nothing to do with her (and is always really late picking her up from the art class), and cor
Reese
Aug 22, 2012 rated it liked it
This book is sad but good. Claudia loses her grandmother to a stoke. It's really sad for claudia because she doesn't do so well at school but the rest of her family is really smart. Mimi, Claudia's grandmother, is the only person who understood her. Claudia also shared 'special tea' with Mimi and she misses that. Awesome book which I highly recommend.
Gel (Whimsy Wanders)
Oh how I miss this series! I grew up with these girls and looked up to them as older sisters but now I'm older than them! I will be doing a mini review of this soon, together with Dawn on the Coast so stay tuned for that!
Bridget
Nov 17, 2011 rated it it was ok
It was very sad. But, since it was sad i promised myself not to read it again, but then i broke promise because it was still very good.
Kristen Lauderdale
"Goodbye, my Claudia" :'(
Aoife
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
If you didn't shed tears upon tears having read this book, check your pulse.
Jorja
Aug 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have to admit, it was a good BSC book, so realistic.
Erin
Nov 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: series
Another of my favs but certainly one of the saddest books I read in the series.
Lisa
Jun 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Need a book to help a young girl/teenager cope with the death of a loved one? This is the book for you. It deals with the lead up, death and all the emotions on the other side.
lisa
Sep 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
The book where Claudia loses her beloved grandmother Mimi. Every time I think about this book tears come to my eyes. I was nine or ten when I first read it, and it was one of the most realistic portrayals of the death of a close family member I had read at the time. Years later, when I was in high school, I read Ann M Martin's book With You and Without You, a book she wrote several years before working on the BSC series. It's about a middle school age girl whose father dies after a short illness ...more
M.M. Strawberry Library & Reviews
This one filled me with such feels. Mimi was one of my favorite characters through the series, and it was already sad enough when Mimi suffered a stroke earlier in the series. Claudia often felt that Mimi was the only one in her family who truly understood and appreciated her, so it's not hard to see how Claudia would feel bereft after this loss. Mimi was also respected by Claudia's friends, so her passing was also hard for us readers to deal with.
kb
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lost my Nanay in 2012, and while I know she's resting in paradise, I still miss her a lot. Loved how death was explored in this, and although heart-breaking, I enjoyed following Claudia's growth as a person in terms of coming to terms with grief and acceptance.

I loved the BSC growing up, and have decided to re-read (or read for the first time) some of the books in the series. Which of the members are you? :)
Brooke
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Claudia wins my heart more almost every time I read about her. I understand her grief because Mimi’s death was scary. I’m excited to read more about Claudia, and I’ll miss Mimi. Corrie also won and broke my heart at the same time.
Here’s my favorite Claudia outfit in this book on page 9: lavender plaid cuffed pants with suspenders, green buttoned shirt, lavender beret, fleece-lined high tops, and Christmas tree light earrings
Sylvia H
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Angela Kivlehen
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
I remember reading this when I was in the third grade. To this day, I haven't forgiven the author for killing off Mimi. She was the nicest character and even I was attached to her since she reminds of my grandmother. I would have been more okay with it if she killed off any other character.
Samantha
Well this was a horrible book to read just a few month after the death of my grandmother.

Thanks for wrecking adult-me, BSC.
Julie Decker
When Claudia loses her beloved grandmother--who'd been going downhill for some time now--she feels adrift on a sea of loneliness and loss, and her family isn't really there to help her because they're too busy distracting themselves. She reaches out to Mary Anne for support, and they also try to help one of their sitting charges, an overscheduled child, communicate with a pair of parents about too many lessons, too little family time.

The mood of this book is striking compared to some of the othe
Gabrielle
Feb 05, 2015 rated it liked it
I read a couple of books with a strong Japanese/post ww2 theme. Which got me thinking about the only Japanese character I read about as a child - Mimi. So I felt I had to read this again.

Anyway I actually cried, just like when I was 10, so I'm still a sentimental fool. Other observations:

*Claudia and Mary Anne are the only likeable characters, and Mary Anne is too nice to be interesting
*The babysitter notebook is just a way for them to all write passive aggressive things about each other. Especi
Meredith
This book was actually pretty moving. Reading the series from start to finish, it's hard not to notice Mimi declining over the last.... dozen or so books. Upon reading these as an adult, I also am sympathizing quite a bit more with Claudia. When I was a kid, her character seemed really cool and popular. But now, viewing this girl through different eyes, I feel for her struggle in school, her struggle to fit in with her family, and the loss she experiences when Mimi dies. Claudia's reaction actua ...more
April
Mar 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, reviewed

Awesome books that girls will love! And the
Apr 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
It's very obvious what happens in this book. Mimi already had a stroke, and over the last few books, her memory has faded fast. I will say this- if you have a death in the family, and a child old enough to enjoy the series, this could really help you cope. Or even if your child has a friend who loses a loved one. This was sad, but it was pretty well executed. I wish they would have addressed the early signs of depression in Claudia.
Edward Creter
Don't feel too sad 'cos this is the one wherein Claudia's beloved Grandma Mimi dies of old age and dementia. I recommend this one especially 'cos I hope it'll help people deal with loss in a way that cleanses and heals A lot of us have lost loved ones this year so hopefully this BSC adventure will help in the healing process and I don't say that about the BSC often. That's why toda I give the BSC 4 tars as opposed to 3. This is the best one so far.
Beth E
Oct 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
I re-read this for a nostalgic read-along book club, and I was surprised at how well this book held up. It perfectly portrays the feelings of loss and upset you experience when you lose a loved one. It was very realistic. Claudia was not only sad, she also went through stages of feeling angry at her grandmother, first for being so needy, and then for dying. I think probably I appreciate this more now than I did the first time I read it.
  • Boys Against Girls (Sweet Valley Twins, #17)

The Baby-Sitters Club (1 - 10 of 131 books)
  • Kristy's Great Idea (The Baby-Sitters Club, #1)
  • Claudia and the Phantom Phone Calls (The Baby-sitters Club, #2)
  • The Truth About Stacey (The Baby-Sitters Club, #3)
  • Mary Anne Saves the Day (The Baby-Sitters Club, #4)
  • Dawn and the Impossible Three (The Baby-Sitters Club, #5)
  • Kristy's Big Day (The Baby-Sitters Club, #6)
  • Claudia and Mean Janine (The Baby-Sitters Club, #7)
  • Boy-Crazy Stacey (The Baby-Sitters Club, #8)
  • The Ghost at Dawn's House (The Baby-Sitters Club, #9)
  • Logan Likes Mary Anne! (The Baby-Sitters Club, #10)