Start by marking “Bye Bye Baby” as Want to Read:
Bye Bye Baby

Bye Bye Baby

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  89 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Paperback
Published September 5th 1991 by Mammoth (first published October 2nd 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Bye Bye Baby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bye Bye Baby

Miriam
Apr 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
Odd but pleasant little book about a solitary baby who decides that he is really too young to be doing his own cooking and cleaning and sets out in search of this unknown figure, a "mother". Along the way he collects various non-mothers, including a cat, a sentient wind-up chicken, and an uncle.

Slightly less surreal than it sounds, but still fairly odd as old picture books go.
Peddy
May 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
By far my favourite book as a child and one which I think every child should own. I still have my tattered copy and will occasionally read it again and remember the times it was read to me as a child. It presents themes that are very adult in a very child-friendly way, namely those relating to the pitfalls of a parentless childhood. Janet and Alan Ahlberg wrote and illustrated some of my favourite books and for this I thank them.
Michele Brenton
I bought this book to read to my young son about fifteen years ago.
I ended up reading it to myself over and over.
It is lovely, slightly sinister and leaves you considering what happens next and how it could all have gone hideously wrong but didn't.
A work of genius with extremely cute pictures.
The one of him bringing himself a warm drink at bedtime is adorable.
Irais Elvira
El tema es bastante extraño pero me gustó especialmente porque Valeria le puso atención y no cualquier libro logra que se quede quieta escuchando el cuento y no le este cambiando la página por que se aburre.
Suzannah Thompson
A baby all alone in the world sets out to find his mother. He meets many characters on the lonely road and gathers a family that's one of a kind.

This book is adorable but also unsettling. A baby all by himself in the world is a scary thing. The illustrations are beautiful, detailed, and melancholy.

I would maybe not use this because of its potential to upset small children. However, it would be good to show diversity of families. I recommend it, but with discernment.
Dominique
Sep 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Janet and Allan Ahlberg succeed again with this sweet and touching tale about a very clever, independent baby. Despite being able to do many things by himself, there comes a time when amidst all the excitement of being very 'grown up', babies want nothing more to then to find their mummy.
This is a story loved by parents and children alike. It's one of those few books I still enjoy as an adult. Aimed primarily at younger children, this book has lovely illustrations containing large, easy to read
Emma Hart
Jan 26, 2017 rated it liked it
I am a bit unsure about this book if I am honest. The concept of a baby going out and finding his own mummy and daddy is a bit strange and I am not sure if I like the story or not. The baby goes along the streets looking for a mummy as he has been looking after himself for too long.
However, the story is still lovely with great illustrations. The pictures on each page tell a story on their own and would be great for EAL learners! Clear pictures of a cat, teddy, horse and others that could really
Paul Jackson
May 01, 2012 rated it liked it
The story begins with a sad baby who is really sad because he has no mummy and therefore sets of to try and find one. Along the way he mneets various characters including a cat, a teddy, a clockwork hen and an uncle who do not want to be his mummy but who offer to help him on his quest to find a mummy. Eventually the baby finds a women who has no children and agrees to be his mummy. This leads to all the characters having tea together and reading a story, however the story is about a baby who ha ...more
Jenny
Feb 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
We're in lovely whimsical Ahlberg-land again, this time for ‘a sad story with a happy ending’, of a baby alone in the world, packing his tiny suitcase and heading out to find a family. He’s really a very small baby (just toddling) and the illustrations are full of pathos as he struggles to fasten his own nappy or brushes the floor with a broom twice his height. The narrative voice is charming and grandparently, oversweetness avoided with the help of the sotto-voce cat who says what the adult rea ...more
Heila
Jul 16, 2015 added it
Shelves: children-s
This is an odd premise to be honest -- a baby lives on it's own, and then sets out to find a mommy -- and I wasn't sure I'd like it. But it ended up working for me, and partly because of the affectionate, softly humorous, somewhat messy illustrations.
Mckinley
May 30, 2014 rated it did not like it
The idea of this story freaked me out. Finding a cat, a teddy bear and all, that was ok, even finding an uncle, but finding a mom and a dad was weird. If it has been obvious that they all were a family that might have been different.
Valeria Irais
Nov 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Este es mi libro favorito no me cansó de el
Kate B
Sep 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Poor baby, all on his own, has to feed and bath himself, even change his own nappy. One day he decides he's too young for all this and sets off to find himself a Mummy.
Emily
Feb 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
One of my favorite books when I was a little girl. :]
Christine Holder
Apr 05, 2014
Sophie
Feb 25, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
In the early 1960s, Allan studied teacher training in Sunderland, where he also met Janet, his future wife. He had tackled a wide variety of jobs, ranging from postman to plumber's mate before working as a primary teacher for ten years. Janet, however, discovering that she 'couldn't do the policing job', went on to study graphic design, which led her to her vocation as an illustrator.

Several years
More about Janet Ahlberg...