Start by marking “The Last Safe Place on Earth” as Want to Read:
The Last Safe Place on Earth

The Last Safe Place on Earth

3.37  ·  Rating details ·  187 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
Todd, 15, thinks life in the quality community of Walden Woods is perfect, until Laurel, his dream girl, comes to babysit for his sister and reveals the forces of fundamentalism and censorship at work in the town.A provocative new novel by a highly honored author that speaks to today's issues of censorship and fundamentalism.

"A highly topical tale"-- "Publishers Weekly"

"As
Published December 13th 2005 by Laurel Leaf Library (first published March 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Safe Place on Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Safe Place on Earth

Vsw
Jun 26, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Teachers who might excerpt selections to use to talk about censorship
Recommended to Vsw by: Johnson (2006) textbook
I worry a little about posting this as my first contribution to our class discussion because, in general, I think that reviews should be "critical" in the balanced sense of the word. This is hard when you didn't enjoy the book and you had concerns about its message!

I read The Last Safe Place on Earth because it was described in our textbook (p. 203) as a good book to use to help students think about issues of fundamentalism and censorship. I thought this might be a book that people in our class
Megan Franks
This book touches on a lot of topics: censorship, hypocrisy, freedom of religion, domestic abuse, etc. While it's not the most fantastic piece of literature I've ever read, we are going to use it for our high school book club because it should be an excellent discussion starter.
Hugo Arevalo
Jun 02, 2017 rated it liked it
The book is called "The Last Safe Place On Earth" by Richard Peck. I really didn't like the book because I couldn't understand what was happening in the book. Everytime I read the book, something would be happening and then it would go off to something else and I get so confused. The main idea of the book is pretty interesting.

In the book Todd, who is the main character moves into this suburbs. He feels very safe in this neighborhood and who happily celebrates halloween. They go to church and th
Jun 13, 2017 rated it liked it
A mediocre book for Peck, but still an interesting take on censorship and fundamentalism. I agree w/another reviewer that the characters needed more complexity rather than simply creating a typical "us" v. "them" dynamic. One theme it illustrates well is how insidiously these beliefs can creep in through the most innocent of sources.
Diane
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Tobin family had moved to Waldon Woods because of gang activity in their school. They feel safe in this peaceful neighborhood - but what's underneath the surface? Laurel comes into their lives to babysit Marnie and soon Manie is having nightmares. There is a rash of car thefts, and suddenly a vocal parent group is talking about the immorality in the books their children are reading for class. In the middle of it all, the close knit TObin family try to make sense of the circumstances.
Brennan Marsh
Mar 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
The theme of the book The last safe place on Earth would be changes because in this book a boy name Todd starts to find out about what goes on in Lauren's family, so his prospective on her and her family changes. The conflict in this book would be when Lauren's Christian group tries to ban Halloween so they try to brainwash the kids who participate in Halloween (mostly younger kids). The sign-post used in this book would be again and again because Lauren and her group keep trying to brainwash th ...more
Brayden
Nov 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
I am done reading the book, The Last Safe Place on Earth. I gave this book 4 stars. It had 161 pages in it. The author of the book was Richard Peck. I thought this book was trilling and unpredictable. My favorite part of the book was when a boy named Billy hur this mom. She had to go to the hospital. Their dad wasn't homebwcause he was looking for a job. I think this book is good for kids that like to read mystery/adventure books.
Karen
Apr 19, 2008 rated it liked it
Strictly on a bell curve, in comparison to other Richard Peck books, this deserves only three stars. The first half of the book depicts a family who has moved to a newer, more upscale neighborhood with the goal of finding a safer place for the children and a better school. Based on appearances alone, the family seems to have accomplished those goals. However, just after midway in the book, the appearances begin to unravel to show the underlying and unhappy truth. The book addresses insidious pre ...more
Adi Muhtarevic
Oct 22, 2013 rated it liked it
I had just finished "The Last Safe Place On Earth" and I thought it was okay. It is about a boy named Todd that is 15 years old and he think Walden Woods is a really nice place to live. In the book it is based around Halloween, during this time many people's houses were getting vandalized. Also many planned car crashes were happening plus people were dying and getting sick, it was ridiculous. Then one night Todd was driving home and spots a random person walking in the street. Todd pulled up nex ...more
kaitlin ♥
Oct 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finished
This book is one of the best I have ever read.Its based around the months before and after Halloween.Many things start to happen peoples houses are getting vandilized and many people are dying.People are dying from planned car wrecks and just getting really sick.Well one night when Todd was driving home with his dad he sees someone walking along the street.He pulls over and figures out it was his friend C.E. he asked C.E. what he was doing out so late his response was im walking off my dinner.So ...more
  • Flunk Punk Rumble, Vol. 1
  • Kidnapped (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • Jessica and the Earthquake (Sweet Valley Twins, #75)
  • True Philippine Ghost Stories Book 2 (True Philippine Ghost Stories, #2)
  • Mental Floss: Genius Instruction Manual
  • Mazes and Monsters
  • Confidential Confessions, Volume 1
  • Memoirs of a Bookbat
  • Day of the Iguana (Hank Zipzer, #3)
  • In the Still of the Night (Grace & Favor, #2)
  • Lord Of The High Lonesome (North Dakota, Americana, # 34 )
  • First Ladies: The Saga of the Presidents' Wives and Their Power, 1789-1961
  • The Curious World of Drugs and Their Friends: A Very Trippy Miscellany
  • The Bridesmaid Guide: Etiquette, Parties, and Being Fabulous
  • Murdering Mr. Monti
  • Creeps Suzette (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #15)
  • The Mystery of the Laughing Shadow (Alfred Hitchcock and the Three Investigators, #12)
  • First Born
Richard Peck is an American novelist known for his prolific contributions to modern young adult literature. He was awarded the Newbery Medal in 2001 for his novel A Year Down Yonder.

Richard Peck was born in 1934 in Decatur, Illinois, a town he describes as quiet and safe. His mother, Virginia, was a dietitian and his father, Wayne, was a merchant who often rode his Harley Davidson to work.

Richard
More about Richard Peck...