Start by marking “The Coordinates of Loss” as Want to Read:

The Coordinates of Loss

From bestselling author Amanda Prowse comes a tale of a blissful life, a happy marriage, a beloved son…and a tragedy that destroys it all.

When Rachel Croft wakes up on her family’s boat in Bermuda, it’s to sunshine and yet another perfect day…until she goes to wake her seven-year-old son, Oscar. Because the worst thing imaginable has happened. He isn’t there.

In the dark
Published September 25th 2018 by Lake Union Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Coordinates of Loss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Coordinates of Loss

Start your review of The Coordinates of Loss
Debra
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
"For now, I feel nothing. For I loved you. I loved you. I will always love you. And now I live for eternity in deep, blue grief."

Rachel Croft wakes up on the family boat, one beautiful morning in Bermuda. The sun is shining, and she is happy to start her day. Happy, until she notices that her son, Oscar is not in his bed. After she searches around the boat for him, her concern turns into every parent’s worst nightmare. While she and her husband, James, frantically search their boat, it become
James
Jun 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was randomly searching on NetGalley one day when I saw The Coordinates of Loss show up in my feed for recommended books. I'm a big fan of Amanda Prowse, but she has so many previous novels that I hadn't been paying attention to new releases. Since it was on NetGalley, and the publisher had auto-approved me, I downloaded the book and put it in my queue. I wanted an author I could count on this week and began the read assured it would be the perfect choice. It delivered and I'm very happy with ...more
sue
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When you loose your child or baby in death the pain is beyond acceptable. It stays with you like an open wound no matter how you get on with live.

But loosing Oscar in the way this happened was heartbreaking for me to read.
Funerals are closure, acceptance.....even if your emotions and heart doesn’t want to accept it, you know in the recess of your mind, they won’t be there any more. Only in our memories.

I felt for these parents, I ached to hold them, to give them comfort.
The horrendous event
Carrie
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Warning: Before ever picking up a copy of The Coordinates of Loss by Amanda Prowse it’s probably best to pick up a nice full box of tissues.

Rachel and James Croft had a loving marriage and along with their seven year old son Oscar the perfect family. Living in Bermuda and surrounded by water James had convinced Rachel to get a boat for the family and while packed up for the weekend tragedy strikes. Rachel wakes up on the boat and Oscar is no where to be found.

As the hours, days, weeks and months
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: 'Oscar! Oscar!' she screamed, crying now, her tears clogging her nose and the back of her throat, making shouting harder and blurring her vision. She ducked under, looking as far as she was able at the hull, and then came back for air; nothing. Her hair hung in a heavy waterlogged curtain over her face; she dug at it with her fingers as she trod water, spinning this way and that, looking, hoping and crying, as her teeth chattered in her gums.

She could hear her husband screaming louder
Bkwmlee
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was ok

This is the second book I’ve read by Amanda Prowse and just like the one I read last year ( The Idea of You ), I struggled with getting through this and once again, very nearly DNF’ed it. I’m not sure what it is, but I find it hard to connect with this author’s books, even though the subject matter she writes about are things that women in my age group are usually able to identify with. In this, her newest book, the main character is Rachel Croft, whose happily married, blissful life
Louise Wilson
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When Rachel Croft wakes up on her family's boar in Bermuda, it's to sunshine and yet another perfect day, that is until she goes to wake up her seven year old son, Oscar. But the worst thing imaginable has happened. He isn't there.

Once such a happy family, the dad, James, the mum, Rachel and their seven year old son, Oscar. They live the perfect life in Bermuda and they have Cee-Cee, their housekeeper, who has had her own fair share of heartache. The family set out for a three day trip on their
Bookworm
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Such a heartbreakingly beautiful story that will make even the most stoic reader break down and cry. What does it feel like to lose a child suddenly? Amanda Prowse brings to life this unthinkable horrific and tragic event through the eyes of Rachel and James. While on a family holiday aboard their yacht, their 7 year old boy Oscar disappears and is presumed to have drowned. Their story alternates with Ceecee, their housekeeper's own story of loss and how to find the strength to keep living.

The
Amanda
Oct 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Having read an Amanda Prowse book before I made sure the tissues were on standby as she always tugs on you’re heart strings!!!

James and Rachel live in Bermuda, from the outside they have an idyllic lifestyle with a house overlooking the sea and a yacht they go on regularly with their 7 year old son Oscar.

Whilst on their yacht, Oscar disappears presumed dead by the police, both James and Rachel feel guilty that they hadn’t realised Oscar had got out of bed and had somehow ended up in the sea.
Adele Shea
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have seen alot of Amanda Prowse books around and I have never gotten around to reading any. The Coordinates Of Loss was my first and I am now on a mission to read Amanda's whole catalogue.
The book pulled at my heart strings and right throughout I just wanted to take Rachel and James' pain away after their life was shattered when their seven year old boy fell over board from their boat whilst on a family trip.
The book tells of Rachel and James' journey of loss and how a friendship blossomed
Judy
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book will tear out your heart and leave you with sadness and grief that are overwhelming. With beautiful strokes Amanda Prowse takes you into the beautiful, happy family of Rachel and James and their 7-year-old son Oscar. They have a wonderful life on the island of Bermuda. Then they take the boat out for a three day trip. Having a great times on their first night out Rachel and James put Oscar to bed, have a few drinks and upon awakening find that Oscar is gone.

The grief that encompasses
Glynis
Jun 26, 2018 rated it liked it
As always Amanda Prowse writes in the most beautiful prose. Emotions and feelings are laid bare and the descriptions of Bermuda and Bristol were superb. But, I also found it utterly depressing although I know many readers who will find it uplifting.
Kylie H
Oct 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, chick-lit
This book is one huge gathering of profound grief. Rachel has a wonderful life in a literal paradise on Bermuda. In the very first pages of this book this all comes undone when she loses her son. Her grief is so overwhelming it seems as if nothing and no one can provide comfort. She distances herself from everyone but finds an ally in her housekeeper Cee-Cee who has been through this herself.
This is a heavy book and terribly sad, it does however have moments where it becomes borderline
Sally Maxwell
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was beautiful!
Beautifully written about a very raw, touching, heartbreaking experience, the ending filled me with so much joy!
Siobhán Cullen
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Such a beautifully written book. Keep tissues handy. Amanda had done it again. How she gets into peoples minds and emotions is incredible
Heather Howarth
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. I found it hard to read as it was so raw - dealing as it does with loss and grief.

Beautifully written and heartwarming.

I think her books only get better!
Oct 11, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF

While the writing is excellent, this story and this subject matter are just entirely too depressing for me. I cannot continue to read about the depths of despair Rachel and James. It is just too much for me.
Kristie
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When I first read the summary of this book I wasn’t sure I wanted to read it. I had read two other books by Amanda Prowse previously and though I liked them (3 stars each), I didn’t love them. I was concerned that this would be an average book about difficult subject matter and that would make it hard to get through.

I should not have worried. Yes, it is a difficult subject and incredibly sad, but it is not a mediocre book. It was well-written and engaging. At first, I was annoyed by the MC,
Tiffany Foskey
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is my first Amanda Prowse novel but it won't be my last. This book was so heartfelt and tugged on my heartstrings so much. Rachel Croft goes from having a perfect day in paradise to absolute terror. Her 7 yr old son is missing and she has no idea where to even begin to search. The search proves futile and she leaves Bermuda without her husband and son. As she prepares to leave, her housekeeper bombards her with messages and it shines a whole new light on Rachel. I will highly recommend this ...more
Shalini
Oct 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Amanda Prowse has always been the 'Queen of Emotions' for me. Her books have always made me run for tissues, a big box load of them. I generally read her books with tears down my cheeks along with a smile on my lips.

This book too had its moments when my eyes would film over, but it didn't wrench my heart, overloading it with emotions. The premise of the story was soul shuddering, just imagining the scene when Rachel and James get up one morning on their boat and finding their 7 year old Oscar
Donna Hines
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, arc
Rachel Croft goes from having a perfect day in paradise to absolute terror in not knowing where her son is and the terrifying aftermath of it all.
Her 7 yo son Oscar is now missing and she has no idea where to even begin searching.
Her husband wants to join forces in the search but she feels their relationship is over.
As she prepares to leave Bermuda behind she is bombarded with messages from Cee-Cee the housekeeper and it shines a whole new light upon Rachel.
The Bermuda tranquility was eventually
Liz
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very sad but so beautifully written. I loved the way that Cee-Cee’s story was interwoven with that of Rachel and James. Amanda Prowse is definitely one of my favourite authors at the moment!

Maybe should have given it 5 stars!
MetLineReader
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh my! What a book - tugs at the heartstrings and absorbs you into its sadness.

I’m in floods - such a beautiful book...

Another superb read from Amanda Prowse...
Rachel Gilbey
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
All consuming, utterly gripping story about a couple coming to terms with the sudden loss of their child, while at sea on day, in Bermuda.

I could barely put the book down as the writing is so good, and it just drew me in and wouldn't let me know.

However unlike other books by this author, I just didn't quite connect properly with the subject and the characters and I can only think that is because we didn't really get to see Oscar alive and connect to him before the tragedy, so its harder to
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
I literally devoured this book in one day. Rachel’s story had me in tears, from beginning to end.

The author has a skill of the characters emotions flowing off the pages into the reader. The grief that the characters feel felt so raw and at times I thought my chest was going to burst with all the emotions I was feeling. Whilst I know that no one can truly understand that loss until it’s happened to them, I think with this book it comes a close second.

I had a box of tissues, well a roll of toilet
Meghan
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Coordinates of Loss

Rachel and James look like they have a perfect life. They live in a beautiful house in Bermuda, own a boat and have a beautiful 7 year old son Oscar until one tragic night where Oscar has bee taken away from them and they need to find their way to deal with their grief after losing a child. An impossible task.

Cee Cee was the housekeeper and adored Oscar. After losing her own baby boy when she was young having Rachel, James and especially Oscar had made her feel alive
Lynn
Aug 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
4* Time Heals Stars

This is by no means a good feel happy story. I found it a bit depressing and very sad. The story is told from Rachel’s POV and centres around the death of her and her husband James seven year old son Oscar, who mysteriously disappeared from their yacht in Bermuda. Their grief and heartache is paramount throughout the story as they both try to piece back together their lives. I struggled to like Rachel in the beginning as she was quite bitter and selfish in the way she
Kate Ellis
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very aptly titled this book takes you along several paths of loss. The grief of some characters, and the attempts of others to support those grieving is explored within a work of general fiction.
As I read I was reminded that all of us feel and have to navigate through a time of loss at some time in our lives. Some loss is known, some is not. Some loss is acknowedged, some is not.
Characters echo the reactions to loss and grief that are as varied as there are types of loss, they also somehow
Kelly
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amanda Prowse does it again, when you pick up this book prepare to have your heartbroken and to require many tissues.

I started this book knowing I have loved Amanda Prowse's other books but this book was on a whole other level and I didn't want to put it down.

You fall in love with the characters instantly and feel the many emotions they are experiencing throughout. The characters are vivid and you could clearly picture them as you got to know them on many levels as this wonderful read
Carla Johnson-Hicks
When your husband dies, you become a widow. What do you become when you lose a child? Are you still a mom? Heartbreaking questions asked by a woman who has lost her son, in a terrible way. When Oscar disappears off a boat, Rachel and James don't know what happened to him. Their guilt is immense and that only causes their grief to be worse and never to loosen. When this book opens with the scream of "Oscar, Oscar" you know something terrible has happened. Rachel does not know what happened to her ...more

• With or Without You: Are you ever sure you made the right decision?
  • The Thing About Clare
  • Where The Story Starts
  • Postcards From a Stranger
  • Things We Never Said
  • Another Day in Winter
  • The Corner Shop in Cockleberry Bay (Cockleberry Bay, #1)
  • A Village Affair
  • In Her Shadow
  • Forget My Name
  • The Promise
  • What Happened to Us?
  • The Shadow Between Us
  • One Last Summer
Amanda Prowse was a management consultant for ten years before realising that she was born to write. Amanda lives in the West Country with her husband and their two teenage sons.