Start by marking “Perennial: A Garden Romance” as Want to Read:
Perennial: A Garden Romance

Perennial: A Garden Romance

Perennial tells the story of Kate Smith, an aspiring artist facing a difficult cancer diagnosis, and Devan McLeod, a flower shop owner. It draws on the experiences of the author, Mary Anne Mohanraj, who was diagnosed with breast cancer and treated (successfully) with chemotherapy, surgery, and radiation. This little book intercuts poems she wrote over the course of that ye ...more
Published May 1st 2018 by Tincture

To ask other readers questions about Perennial, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Perennial

Bogi Takács
Update: here is my review! Thank you for your patience :)

Bertha Tang
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this book in one sitting. It is short and sweet, and packs so much into its pages. Each chapter is interspersed with poetry, and the combination is alternately a heart wrenching roller coaster and a soothing balm. I loved the gentle romance, the characters, the artwork, and most especially, the devastating poems.
Dawn
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, cancer
A Personal journey with cancer spawned something lovely and heartbreaking.

I've been a fan and friend to Mary Anne Mohanraj for over a decade now. I have enjoyed much of her works, including novel length and short fiction. I watched on Facebook as she battled her diagnosis of breast cancer and still pushed herself to be creative in known (poetry, short stories) and new (sketching/drawing) ways. I couldn't have imagined that such a sweet, heartbreaking, joyous and tear-jerking work would have com
Nicole
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I like this book a lot, even though it is not what I usually read (graphic novels, scifi and fantasy). I find the realness of the people in the main story refreshing. And even though the subject (a developing romance with the lead undergoing cancer treatment) is heart wrenching, it is a story full of hope, of connection of empathy. That makes the main story as fragile and beautiful as any flower can be. It is a delight.

The poems are clearly more autobiographical. Touching with their raw realness
Theresa
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Perennial: A Garden Romance (Paperback)
by Mary Anne Mohanraj
Mary Anne Mohanraj is an amazing author, this book is a remarkable personal tale. This is a short story about love, life and the struggles we all bare alone. Two people meet by chance on her worst day, she just was diagnosed with cancer. She had moved to a new city starting a new life. What she did not expect, was that she would be challenged in this way. He was struggling, lonely and barely holding on in his own right. What he did no
Cindy Nelson
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've been waiting to read Perennial since the first snippets went up on Facebook and Patreon. I've read it twice now, and am deeply satisfied with what it turned out to be. It's a tender little tale; the unlooked-for spark becomes acknowledged attraction becomes reciprocal relationship in stages that both make sense and feel completely right. I especially like that the relationship is reciprocal; it would have been quite easy for it to be all about Devan's strength and Kate's need. The illustrat ...more
Montse Cordero
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love Mary Anne Mohanraj's genre fiction, so I figured even though I'm not much of a romance reader I would give it a shot and I'm really glad I did! I read the entire book in one wonderful sitting. I found the format of poems between the chapters of the story very interesting. The story was so consuming that I often felt tempted to skip the poems so I could keep going, but my pauses were always rewarded with deep, raw, and beautiful poems. :)
Echo
Jul 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
A sweet novella about the budding friendship/romance between a man who owns a flower shop and a woman who's undergoing treatment for early-stage breast cancer.

This is obviously a very personal book for the author, as the chapters are interspersed with poems and drawings she created during her own cancer treatment.

I would definitely recommend this book to someone who was starting cancer treatment.
Alex
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Perennial is a lot of things; it's a romance and a book of poetry side-by-side, and it's a delight to read. It both touches on the things that cancer takes from you but also finding hope and light through the process; it's an emotional experience overall, and it's easy to read in one sitting. I came out of it feeling very human, which is not something I can say for a lot of books.
Rocky