Start by marking “Alarum” as Want to Read:
Alarum

Alarum

(Walking Shadows #1)

I fled as they destroyed my home.
I watched as they murdered my family.
I stood silent as they stole my name and threw my life in chains.

I stare coldly at my fading reflection with only one question to ask:
Them or Me?

Published October 30th 2018 by Talis Jones

To ask other readers questions about Alarum, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alarum

Start your review of Alarum
JenacideByBibliophile
Disclaimer: This book was sent to me by the author, Talis Jones, for an honest review.

Genre: YA/Dystopian/Fantasy

Plot: I fled as they destroyed my home.
I watched as they murdered my family.
I stood silent as they stole my name and threw my life in chains.

I stare coldly at my fading reflection with only one question to ask:
Them or Me?

Set in a future where the United States has fallen, a girl is ripped from her home as a child and forced to endure the harshness around her or else surrender to the
Angela Cuéllar
Not my usual genre go-to but...idk something about this one really grabbed me ♥ It's the type of book that will surprise you, make you want to throw it right out the window, but then you'll find yourself desperately hunting for it just so you can read it all over again.
If you’re looking for a standalone that crosses genres and captures the wild spirit of the American West, the grit of a dystopian future, and the heart of a girl who refuses to lie down when the demons come a calling, then Alarum
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)

4.5*

Have you ever decided to read a book on a complete whim? You know, when you're totally in the dark about it, but the synopsis just called out to you and you took a chance? Well, I did that here. Twice, if we're being technical. The verdict? I was handsomely rewarded with a series that I cannot wait to continue!

Obviously, the synopsis of Alarum was screaming my name. Post-apocalyptic/
Caroline Peckham
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A beautifully written story with gritty undertones that paints a picture of a dystopian America baked by a red sun.

This one left my heart-racing and my thoughts wheeling. I had to get over this one for a couple of days before gathering myself together to write a review!

The MC goes on a brutal journey from slavery to freedom, searching for Sanctuary in the desolate new world.

The friendships she’s makes along the way were so well developed and I shed a tear when anyone was lost along the journey.
Emmanuelle Ide
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
*ARC provided by the author in exchange of an honest review*

This book is my first read of 2019 and what a way to start the year! Alarum is many many things that I did not see coming.

The story is set in a post-apocalyptic United States where we follow a girl's journey from being a Flinch trying to survive in a world where only the strongest sharks remain, to a free woman saving herself and the few people around her.

I find it very poetic, allegoric and incredibly well written. There are loads of i
Aisha Reads
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I want to thank Talis Jones for giving me the opportunity to read Alarum. After many days of thinking about Alarum (more like a week or two), I think I finally have words to put to the feelings that I was left with when I finished reading the novel.

It is safe to say that I had never read a novel like Alarum. It is a book that will stay with me forever, I am sure of it. Here’s my gush filled review!

Firstly, Alarum gave me major The Walking Dead vibes minus the Walkers. I am not sure if it was bec
Cynthia (Bingeing On Books)
What an unbelievable book. I honestly have no clue where I heard about this one. But man, I am so glad I decided to read it. I kind of got out of the dystopian genre a while ago because they all started to seem alike. But I absolutely loved how the author dealt with this and I loved the author's writing style. The main character goes by many names throughout her life and there is SO MUCH character development. When this book starts, the main character is only five years old. But by the end, she ...more
Vue
Mar 20, 2019 rated it liked it
The concept of this book was very interesting. I loved the world that was created. I think the character building was good but the relationships left me wanting. They weren't developed very well so it was a bit difficult to relate to them. The story started off strong but the ending felt rushed. The time jumps didn't help much with that either. I would have enjoyed this book more if it was fleshed out without the time jumps. A few crucial scenes weren't written very well so I had to reread them ...more
Claire Sholar
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A fast-paced novel that will keep you on your toes...so much happens! The characters are very loveable and I’m sad it’s a stand-alone but I can’t wait to read the other books in the universe!
Taylor (Frayed Books)
Actual 3.5/5 stars.
Allison Johnston
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is one that I would recommend! You can tell that the author really puts herself into the book. There are things that if you asked what would happen in the apocalypse if this happened? It is in here.

There are so many emotions in this book. You will love it, and yell at the author through it. Through all of the emotions you will get a great read.
RDCooper
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: talis-jones
Great storyline. The characters that you meet on the journey to Sanctuary are hard to forget. Plenty of unexpected twists which seem to be characteristic of Talis Jones’ books. Can’t wait for the next book.
Megan
Shera
Mar 04, 2019
Katherine
Mar 20, 2019

• We Set the Dark on Fire (We Set the Dark on Fire, #1)
  • Extras (Uglies, #4)
  • The Peculiars
  • The Bromance Book Club (Bromance Book Club, #1)
  • Specials (Uglies, #3)
  • Riot Baby
  • Winterwood
  • Not the Girl You Marry
  • The Tenth Girl
  • Adulthood Rites (Xenogenesis, #2)
Talis Jones is a Mexican-English author of magic and mischief. Graduated Suma Cum Laude with a degree in Theatre she has explored both stage and film, now finding herself drawn towards the literary world as a new venue for storytelling.

Dog mom, Broadway enthusiast, and life-long bibliophile, Talis currently resides in North Carolina.

Find out more about Talis and her books at www.talisjonesofficia

Walking Shadows (2 books)
  • Solus