Start by marking “FantasticLand” as Want to Read:
FantasticLand

FantasticLand

Since the 1970s, FantasticLand has been the theme park where "Fun is Guaranteed!" But when a hurricane ravages the Florida coast and isolates the park, the employees find it anything but fun. Five weeks later, the authorities who rescue the survivors encounter a scene of horror. Photos soon emerge online of heads on spikes outside of rides and viscera and human bones ...more
Published November 20th 2018 by Skyhorse (first published October 11th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about FantasticLand, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Kellie
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of FantasticLand
karen

yeah, five stars, what of it? i was ready to give this one five stars just on premise alone: a massive hurricane in florida isolates an amusement park full of workers entrusted with keeping an eye on things after the customers have been evacuated, and despite having plenty of food, water, medical supplies and shelter, once they are rescued by the national guard a month later, the place is destroyed, many have died, the survivors are injured, and on top of the staggering property damage, there
Barbie
Mar 27, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf

My thoughts in a nutshell
This book sucks. It was a recommendation and I wanted to read it immediately because the blurb is so exciting. I'm grateful for the suggestion but it just didn't work for me, and I'm so sorry about that. It could have been a 5 stars read.

The story is about…
Skip over this point if you don't like the sneak peek.
Some employees stayed behind in the theme park when hurricane Sadie came. They have a single task; stay in the shelter and wait until the storm ends and then
Jane
My, oh my, oh my! 4.5 I-dunno-what-I-just-read-but-I'm-pretty-sure-I-loved-it stars for the audiobook version narrated by all-stars Luke Daniels and Angela Dawe.

I was hooked right from the first chapter of FantasticLand. The premise here is that an author is writing a book about what went down at the FantasticLand amusement park when a few hundred employees were stranded there for a few weeks after a hell of a hurricane. Each chapter is presented as an interview with a different person who was
Michelle
Oct 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bought-own
"Of the 326 employees who stayed behind in the park, 207 were eventually evacuated. The fate of the 119 missing souls may never be known, but evidence of death and slaughter was immediately apparent. Photo's soon emerged: heads on spikes outside of rides, corpses floating in detention cells, and viscera decaying in the humid Florida sun. FantasticLand, where "Fun Is Guaranteed!", was covered in blood. There were human bones littering the gift shops. It was all the country could talk about. The ...more
Jilly
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers
For those of us who felt like the Hunger Games, Battle Royale, and Lord of the Flies didn't have nearly enough killing and violence. People who are just jonesing for some teen-on-teen brutality and bloodshed: It's gonna satisfy your itch!

This book is written as a series of interviews with the survivors from a massacre at an amusement park. There was a group of employees - like a couple hundred - who became stranded there without rescue after a hurricane for a month and all hell broke loose.

The
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

FantasticLand is getting every Star and I ain’t even sorry.

Like the blurb says, this story is a modern-day . . . .

Ha! I keed. It truly is Lord of the Flies meets [insert battle to the death book/film of your choosing here]. More specifically it is about . . . .

What happened in FantasticLand during the thirty-five days dubbed “The Battle of the Tribes.”

Here’s the deal: In the Fall of 2017 Hurricane Sadie was being tracked off
Dora
May 07, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, thriller
**2 mediocre Stars**

I don't know how to review this book...

For starters, I want to say that did like and enjoy parts of it. BUT. Up until the last few "chapters", I didn't really understand what was happening most of the time, or better said WHY all those things were happening.

When a hurricane hits Florida, the area around the the theme park "FantasticLand" is completely flooded, which leads to it being cut off from the mainland for over a month.

Even though the hundreds of employees stranded
Melki
Apr 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Melki by: karen brissette
You'd be amazed how quickly rumors can grow and get out of hand when kids don't have the constant distraction of their phones to check every twelve seconds.

I don't know what this says about me, and I'm pretty sure I don't want to know, but I LOVE books about people behaving badly in the face of a crisis. There's just something so enticing about the fact that the times we should all be working together are the times we're most likely to declare that it's every man for himself. Aliens attacking?
Nenia ⚡ Aspiring Evil Overlord ⚡ Campbell
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Nenia ⚡ Aspiring Evil Overlord ⚡ by: karen

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

FANTASTICLAND was an unholy amount of fun, in that "I'm going to hell for enjoying this" sort of way. I think the best way to blurb it is by saying that it's like LORD OF THE FLIES, if LORD OF THE FLIES was delivered in a mock-documentary format like WORLD WAR Z - only it's much better than either of those two books. Basically, there's a theme park called "Fantastic Land" that is utterly devastated by a gigantic hurricane called Sadie.
Blair
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Blair by: karen
This book was SO. MUCH. FUN.

It's the story of FantasticLand, a theme park built by its eccentric creator as a rival to the Disney and Universal resorts. When a hurricane hits Florida in late 2017, the area around the park is completely flooded, and FantasticLand ends up being cut off from the mainland for more than a month. After reassurances from its board of directors that the hundreds of employees stranded there have everything they need to survive comfortably, it's bumped down the list of
Adah Udechukwu
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I kinda thought FantasticLand really existed st first. That's how realistic the novel was. The writing was impeccable
Lyn
Audio – 4.5 Stars overall

Luke Daniels - 5++++ Stars. Listening to his performance was like listening to a full cast of performers instead on the one. That’s how super talented he is.

Angela Dawe – 4 Stars

Story - 3.5 Stars

This is the second audiobook I’ve listened to where a fictional story is told through a series of interviews. The people being interviewed share their experience of being trapped at an amusement park during a hurricane.

At the risk of sounding like a pessimist, human nature
Joseph Spuckler
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Best fake news ever. Hurricane Sade rips through Florida leaving a path of destruction. Fantastic Land!, an amusement park, is in the way of the storm. The park is evacuated except for those who volunteer to stay behind in the bunkers to help restore the park after the storm. Many stay, as the pay is good and for the most part, there is no work needing to be done. The bunker s are secure and well stocked.

After the storm passes employees move outdoors. Adult supervision has failed, and after an
Tammie
Oct 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror-dark
FantasticLand is one creepy book! Told in interview form- it details the horrific events that happened at the amusement park after the area is devastated by a horrific storm. Hundreds of workers stayed behind to help protect the park- they are trained and have more than enough food and water to last until they are rescued. Buuuttttt- after waiting week after week for a possible rescue, no communication with the outside, and very little entertainment- the workers become restless and possessive. ...more
Hayley ☾ (TheVillainousReader)
DNF 50%

description

^^ This gif pretty much sums up how I feel about this book.

I stopped reading this for my own sanity and the sanity of my boyfriend. I kept scoffing and sighing and let-me-just-read-you-this-ridiculous-part-ing. I really did not like this.

First of all, it was SO B O R I N G. The back of this book compares it to Battle Royale, which is one of my all time faves. THIS WAS A LIE. This is nowhere near as spectacular as Battle Royale.

Secondly, this was so boring. Seriously.

Thirdly, this read
Donna Backshall
Three weary stars.

It's not the book, it's me. The flooded theme park filled with blood-thirsty and Jonesing-for-wifi Millenials story is unique and unsettling enough to be compelling, but the delivery severely detracted from the entertainment value.

I'm losing my patience with this genre.

Why? This whole Found Footage or Podcast or "Reality" or Mockumentary style of horror writing has been done to death already. It feels like every horror movie filmed and book written after The Blair Witch Project
Chris Berko
Nov 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredible read. Shocking and unsettling. I've read other reviews that point out the "creepiness" factor in this and I have to agree. There is plenty of "on-screen" violence and the author pulls no punches with the descriptions of what happens in the park, you get to witness what happens sometimes firsthand, and then you get to hear how different individuals not only interpreted what went down but why they thought this stuff was happening as well. But the most disturbing aspect was the ...more
Michael Sorbello
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written in the same vein as Lord of the Flies and Battle Royale, a wonderful day at a Disneyland knockoff quickly turns deadly after a hurricane wrecks the Florida Coast and leaves the hundreds of young employees working there stranded, starving and fighting for their lives for an entire month without anyone coming to their aid. What happens when the young folks of modern society are suddenly thrown into a world with no technology, no internet, no entertainment, no supplies, limited food and ...more
Hilda
I don’t like any of the characters and I just don’t care.
Bill
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star-reads
FantasticLand “Where fun is guaranteed”

My friend Bandit turned me onto the audio of this one and it was excellent. As a matter of fact, this was made for audio. Told in a series of interviews, there were plenty of characters to go around and the narration really added depth to the interview style format.

Hurricane Sadie ravaged the Florida coastline isolating the amusement park FantasticLand, which should have been far enough inland to avoid the destruction. Sadie was a real bitch though. 150
Rebecca Skane
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club, horror, usa
You'll have to suspend your disbelief. This book will try to convince you that when millennials are sudden unplugged from their social media and isolated from civilization for a few weeks they will go feral, break off into tribes, and start murdering each other. Possibly eating each other. That the power of the strong-minded (and evil) will instantly overpower the weak masses who yearn for attention no longer received from likes and pokes. Modern Lord of the Flies.

But it was a good ride.
Note:
Roz
Oct 11, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Wow this sounds like my kind of book!
David
Apr 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Katniss Everdeen, Kazuo Kiriyama, Disney Princesses
The premise is catchy and gripping - a massive hurricane strikes Florida, leaving an amusement park called "Fantasticland" (whose history and geography is built up over the course of the novel to explain this fictional third-place competitor to Disneyworld and Universal Studios) isolated out in the boonies. With no connection to the outside world for weeks, the stranded employees of the park form into warring tribes - the Pirates, the Deadpools, the Shopkeepers, the Moles, etc... and engage in a ...more
Bandit
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In trying to come up with a tagline for this, the best that comes out is Lord of the Rides. Which isn’t that great, but it gets the idea across. This is a book about a bunch of kids in a temporarily weather shut down amusement park who go berserk. They have enough food and water to survive, Fantasticland is no ordinary park, it’s well provided and stocked with options, but instead of quietly and patiently riding out the storm, the employees separate into camps, arm themselves and turn the place ...more
Rick
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Maybe I've just reached a point in my life where I want some inner peace, some happiness. Maybe I've gotten to a place where endless, repetitive scenes of murder, maiming, and dismemberment no longer qualify as entertainment (full disclosure: it once did). I wanted to like FANTASTICLAND. The concept was brilliant (see blurb below). But, in the end, it just became too much and I found it at once tedious and repellant. I think the real problem with the book, though, was not in its very clever ...more
FabulousRaye
$18.04 for the KINDLE edition?! What.the.shit.

Edit: The kindle edition's price has lowered slightly. I might post an actual review of the book and not more about how annoyed I am at the price.
Dee Arr
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I purchased Mike Bockoven's Fantasticland because it sounded interesting, and I figured it would be a two or three hour slasher that would be somewhat entertaining. Basically, I had no higher expectations. I couldn't have been more wrong.

While I will go with the thriller tag on the book's cover, this book is a horror story similar to the horror in "Lord of the Flies" or "The Hunger Games." Characters in the story are quickly removed from their comfort zones, and the normalcy of everyday life
Twerking To Beethoven
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Similar books: Lord of the Flies and, of course, Wylding Hall. Reads like a true-crime book. Some bits are maybe a little over the top, meaning the reader - considering the style of the book itself - is sometimes forced to grab onto the suspension of disbelief one time too many. Overall, an entertaining read, 4.5 stars.
John
Apr 18, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
3.5 Stars

This was like Battle Royal + Lord of the Flies. And the really scary part of this story is that, given what I see on the news, I think something like this could happen!

But the story was too long so it got boring.
Greg
Nov 04, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, horror
I want to have the reaction everyone else who has already reviewed/rated it here on Goodreads had... maybe a review will be coming soon
Play Book Tag: FantasticLand / Mike Bockoven. 4 stars 1 11 Dec 24, 2019 08:47PM

• The Institute
  • We Sold Our Souls
  • Imaginary Friend
  • Where the Dead Go to Die
  • The Cult Called Freedom House (Sophia Rey #1)
  • Kill River
  • The Troop
  • Night Shoot
  • Dear Laura
  • The Possession of Natalie Glasgow
“If he showed up on a desert island with a sandwich and a rescue boat, most people would try to beat him to death with the sandwich.” 2 likes
“it’s that a person gets stupid when they become people. They are easily convinced of things.” 1 likes