Start by marking “Something Worth Saving” as Want to Read:
Something Worth Saving

Something Worth Saving

Sandi Ward's shrewdly observed, funny, and wonderfully touching novel tells of a fractured family, a teenage boy, and a remarkable cat whose loyalty knows no bounds . . .

A boy and his cat. It's an unconventional friendship, perhaps, but for Charlie and Lily, it works beautifully. It was Charlie who chose Lily from among all the cats in the shelter. He didn't frown, the w
Published December 18th 2018 by Kensington Publishing Corporation

BLONDE vs BOOKS
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Something Worth Saving is a heartfelt story about a boy and his cat—Charlie and Lily. Charlie chose Lily from all of the other cats at the shelter. She walked with a limp from an old injury and he loved her right away.

This family drama, told from the perspective of the cat, interweaves a variety of themes including coming-of-age, sexual identity, divorce, and abuse. Charlie’s mother kicked Dad out of the house and his oldest brother, Kevin, misses him desperately. His sister, Victoria, has a ne
Literary Soirée
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sandi Ward’s SOMETHING WORTH SAVING is an absolute gem of a book, written in poetic prose and so compellingly about an abused boy and his dysfunctional family — all from the point of view of Lily, the family cat.

In Sandi’s heart-wrenching novel, teenager Charlie has chosen Lily from all the kitties in the animal shelter, seeing her true beauty despite her injured leg, the result of a cruel previous owner. As he has saved her, she wants to save him.

This novel will break your heart and remake it i
Hristina
I'm not exactly sure what my impression of this book is, it's a difficult one to dissect.
I think the storyline was pretty decent, and Mrs. Ward's writing style is well-developed. But the narrator of the book is the cat which was something that I found a bit odd, and as result, I had a hard time getting into this book as much as I wanted.
I don't think it's for everyone, but one should definitely give it a chance.

*Copy received through NetGalley
*Actual rating: 3.5/5 stars
Kathleen Flynn
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Happy families are all alike, every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way -- but only some have a wry cat narrating the tale. This deceptively simple novel defies categorization, being at once funny and bittersweet; piercingly sad but never sentimental.

Lily the cat is loving yet self-interested; her perspective is at once intimate (she can eavesdrop like a champ) and limited. Anything that doesn't happen in the house or nearby must be intuited, and though she understands her humans well, ther
Lisa Duffy
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A huge fan of Sandi Ward’s debut novel, The Astonishing Thing, I was anxious to get my hands on an early copy of her next book. Something Worth Saving, Ward’s sophomore novel, was worth the wait. Powerful and smartly written, Ward explores the intricate workings of family life with a compassionate touch and unflinching honesty. You’ll root for the characters in this memorable novel long after you’ve turned the last page.
Janet
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
From the publisher, as I do not regurgitate the contents or story of books in reviews, I let them do it!

Sandi Ward’s shrewdly observed, funny, and wonderfully touching novel tells of a fractured family, a teenage boy, and a remarkable cat whose loyalty knows no bounds . . .

A boy and his cat. It’s an unconventional friendship, perhaps, but for Charlie and Lily, it works beautifully. It was Char
Laurie
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I think this is a story that all parents should read!
It is told by Lily, the family cat who knows secrets within her pack that nobody else is aware of.
It is a book about love, loss, abuse, dependency and the impacts on an entire family.
If only Lily could tell all! If only she could make all of it go away!
Her mission is to get help for each person that she loves! She will find a way to get her message to her people and the help needed to prevent further hurt in her family.
It's definitely a won
Christine Lowe
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sandi Ward chose an unusual way to tell the story of Something Worth Saving. Lily was a young kitten when the youngest Anderson child Charlie chose her to be part of their family. She wasn't perfect. Her former owner kicked her and broke her rear leg. It healed but left her with a limp. Lily was a very observant cat and did her best to help her new family.

This is a cleverly told fami!y drama. Jeremy was hurt at work and was given pain ki!lers after the surgery. He became dependent on the pills a
Kathleen Gray
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ward has once again written a sweet and thoughtful novel narrated by a cat. Yes a cat. Lily the cat is the observer in a family of wounded people. This is so topical in its themes and so sensitive in how it handles addiction and abuse and the impact of those on a family. Charlie is Lily's person- he's the one who adopted her- but he's also fond of the others, all of whom are struggling. Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC. This is a touching heartwarming read.
Anne
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really love this author, and this new title did not disappoint! As an avid cat lover for many years, I really enjoyed watching and listening to the story unfold from the cat’s point of view. The way the plot evolved kept me turning the pages faster and faster because I really cared about the main characters. The whole story has made me look at my own cats and it totally different way! Highly recommend!
Janine
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is an enjoyable tale told from a cat’s point of view.

Lily was an abused kitten who was turned over to a shelter with her siblings. She was the last kitten adopted because she was flawed. She had a broken leg that didn’t heal properly and she was left with a limp. So, she knows what it’s like not to be perfect. She adopted by a family that she has come to love and will do anything to protect. She especially wants to help Charlie, the youngest son, after she discovers bruises on him. Lily do
Jenni Walsh
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was so intriguing to me. As in Sandi Ward's debut novel, this sophomore novel is told through the perspective of the family cat. I enjoy this perspective, where Lily J. Potter (best cat name ever) covertly, cleverly, simplistically (but not in an unsophisticated manner), and earnestly tells the story of a family unit facing drama on all fronts. The ending was sweet and satisfying, just what I was hoping for.
Meghan Masterson
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sandi Ward's second novel is an immensely enjoyable read! Lily, the family cat, has a special bond with Charlie, the teenage boy who rescued her from the shelter. Lily is an endearing, observant narrator, and her affectionate interactions with the family, including the dog, Gretel, skillfully highlight the familial relationships and tensions. Lily’s dry narration is often amusing – as you might expect, a cat is an excellent eavesdropper – but her perspective also cuts to the core, showing the tr ...more
Karen Sargent
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have to be honest. When I saw Sandi Ward's first book, The Astonishing Thing, the English teacher in me was skeptical that a cat could narrate a story that would be engaging and worth the precious minutes I squeak out of the day to read for enjoyment. Another confession...I'm not really a cat lover. I just love my cat, not all cats. But the cover of The Astonishing Thing was so sweet, and the cat's name was Boo. (How can an English teacher resist "Boo," which makes me think of a character in m ...more
Claire Marti
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What an intriguing, interesting, emotional read. Author Sandi Ward's new novel again utilizes a cat narrator. Lily's point of view is articulate, keen, and often hilarious. She loves her family and will stop at nothing to protect Charlie, the youngest boy, from harm. A sensitive exploration of family dynamics and pertinent social issues. I don't want to give too much away because Ward does an excellent job of keeping you guessing.

I highly recommend this book. I finished it in two sittings becau
Cozy Cat Reviews
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sandi Ward’s "SOMETHING WORTH SAVING" is a beautifully written compellingly story about an abused boy and his dysfunctional family told from the point of view of Lily his beloved rescued cat. This is a novel that will break your heart and at the same time give you hope through their mutual story of survival . I guarantee this book will make you cry. Get the tissues out cat lovers !

ATTENTION ABUSE SURVIVORS AND VICTIMS: This has scenes of physical abuse of a child and the cat as well as severe t
Lael Braday
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lily loves Charlie more than any other human, for he rescued her when other potential adopters frowned at her limp. She’d been abused by her previous owner and her broken leg healed without veterinarian intervention. Now he’s being bullied and Lily must figure out a way to help him amid the chaos of Dad’s drinking, Mom’s sadness, his sister’s possible suspect boyfriend, and his big brother’s anger. The unique perspective of a cat gives readers a view from inside the family, but with a pure, some ...more
Carly
Dec 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, 2018-reads
Thank you to Kensington Books via Netgalley for my free digital review copy!

Something Worth Saving is a sweet story narrated by family cat, Lily. She is closest to the youngest son Charlie and has noticed bruises and marks all over his body. She is the only one aware that Charlie is being hurt by someone and is determined to make sure the rest of the family become aware so they can help him. Along the way she discovers what else is going on with the rest of the family and realizes her job may be
Susan Johnston
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Princess Fuzzypants here: Lily’s family is a family in crisis. Dad no longer lives at home. After being wounded on the job, he first turns to drugs and then to alcohol to stem the pain and get him through the day. He is oblivious to how this is rupturing his family and seems unable to break out of his alcoholism. Mom is doing the best she can but she has three kids, one of whom, unknown to her, is being physically abused. It is good that Lily is such a loyal, loving, insightful and strong kitty. ...more
Liz
Dec 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Via my book blog at https://cavebookreviews.blogspot.com/

Sandi Ward made an amusing decision when she chose a cat named Lily, to narrate her new book. When Lily was a newborn, a horrible human kicked her out of his way. Lily survived but walks with a limp. Charlies picked Lily out of all the cats at the shelter, and they became best friends over the years.

Charlie has two siblings, Victoria and Kevin, and parents who are separated. Charlie's mom is a pre-school teacher, and his father a cop. The
Norma Jean
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Something Worth Saving is a story of family dynamics told from the unique perspective of the family cat. Lily was an abused kitten who was adopted by the family. Charlie, the 14 year old boy and youngest of the three children is having problems with being bullied at school. Lily sees the bruises on his body, but she can’t do anything about it. Charlie won’t tell anyone about the bruises. She just tries to comfort him when he is sad or hurt.
Dad became addicted to narcotic pain pills when he was
Shirley Schwartz
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book is classified wrong on this site. This book was classified as adult fiction, family drama, but in my opinion, it is a middle grade book (minus the sex scenes of course). I found it quite juvenile and simplistic. The story of a family in crisis is told through the eyes and thoughts of their house cat Lily. With the help of the family dog who is called Gretel. the two animals try to piece their family together. The theme is a familiar one - a seemingly normal family with many hidden and ...more
Dawn Byers
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I won this book from the authors contest. I have not read her books before and this looked so interesting.
What a touching story as it is told from a beautiful kitty's perspective of the broken family he lives with and how he wants to heal them.
Charlie, the boy is his favorite and he notices he has bruises as if someone is bullying him.
Mom kicked the dad out as he has been drinking too much.
Kevin the older son acts as if he is the boss, plus seems very different - whats up with him?
And the daught
Jaymie
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Delightful set up with the cat telling the story. That softened the darker parts of the story - addiction, grief, depression, etc.. I felt some of the issues could have been addressed more definitively, but overall this was great. (Gay/possibly gender fluid character - the cat wasn't clear on the nuances.)
Debbie Schiedel
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very innovative concept of writing the story from a cat's point of view. Easy read, but very thought provoking. Characters were well developed and plot though simplistic held my attention because of the cat and dog. Touching, I cried at the end.
gabbyisreadingnow
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
I did not like this. I don't really know why I didn't enjoy this, but I was tempted to just dnf it. The ending was unsatisfactory, and it felt like the plot was just going in circles the whole time, and none of the characters were likable at all. Honestly, it left a bland taste in my mouth.
Cristie Underwood
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
The premise of this book about an abused boy told via his rescue cat's view is unique. However, this was a great and interesting read that I enjoyed!
Nicole B.
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: giveaways
Not terrible; just okay. Not for me.

I received an arc.
Cdainec
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book a out a dysfunctional family see through the eyes of the family cat.
Julia Taylor-Golbey
Nov 27, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Sandi Ward is a native New Englander who now lives on the Jersey Shore with her husband, kids, dog and a big black cat named Winnie. She received her MA in Creative Writing from NYU, and is a copywriter at a medical advertising agency. Her debut novel is THE ASTONISHING THING (Kensington Books). SOMETHING WORTH SAVING is now on Amazon for pre-order (on sale December 18, 2018). WHAT HOLDS US TOGETH ...more