Start by marking “Something Worth Saving” as Want to Read:

Something Worth Saving

Sandi Ward's shrewdly observed, funny, and wonderfully touching novel tells of a fractured family, a teenage boy, and a remarkable cat whose loyalty knows no bounds . . .

A boy and his cat. It's an unconventional friendship, perhaps, but for Charlie and Lily, it works beautifully. It was Charlie who chose Lily from among all the cats in the shelter. He didn't frown, the
Published December 18th 2018 by Kensington Publishing Corporation

To ask other readers questions about Something Worth Saving, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Heather
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Something Worth Saving
DJ Sakata
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Favorite Quotes:

No creature should be mistreated. I did not deserve it, and neither does Charlie… I recall how humiliating it was to be too small to fight back. It makes my eyes sting and nose quiver when I think about it. Believe me, if I knew who was hurting Charlie, I would scratch his eyes out.

He is amused by how excited she is to realize this, that he’s never kissed a girl. And the look that he gives forces me to see it, to understand what she likes about him. I don’t want her to like him.
Rebecca Serrato
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a very sweet and sad story from a cat's point of view.
Literary Soirée
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sandi Ward’s SOMETHING WORTH SAVING is an absolute gem of a book, written in poetic prose and so compellingly about an abused boy and his dysfunctional family — all from the point of view of Lily, the family cat.

In Sandi’s heart-wrenching novel, teenager Charlie has chosen Lily from all the kitties in the animal shelter, seeing her true beauty despite her injured leg, the result of a cruel previous owner. As he has saved her, she wants to save him.

This novel will break your heart and remake it i
BLONDE vs BOOKS
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Something Worth Saving is a heartfelt story about a boy and his cat—Charlie and Lily. Charlie chose Lily from all of the other cats at the shelter. She walked with a limp from an old injury and he loved her right away.

This family drama, told from the perspective of the cat, interweaves a variety of themes including coming-of-age, sexual identity, divorce, and abuse. Charlie’s mother kicked Dad out of the house and his oldest brother, Kevin, misses him desperately. His sister, Victoria, has a ne
Wendy
Oct 17, 2019 marked it as gave-up-less-than-20
Shelves: fiction, on-kindle
I'm bored of it already - don't get me wrong, the cat narrator is a sweetheart, but the pace is glacially slow and I feel like I've already got it all figured out, so I'm calling Rule of 50 and quitting. Despite being a cat lover, I don't think I was part of the target audience here.
Hristina
I'm not exactly sure what my impression of this book is, it's a difficult one to dissect.
I think the storyline was pretty decent, and Mrs. Ward's writing style is well-developed. But the narrator of the book is the cat which was something that I found a bit odd, and as result, I had a hard time getting into this book as much as I wanted.
I don't think it's for everyone, but one should definitely give it a chance.

*Copy received through NetGalley
*Actual rating: 3.5/5 stars
Kathleen Flynn
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Happy families are all alike, every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way -- but only some have a wry cat narrating the tale. This deceptively simple novel defies categorization, being at once funny and bittersweet; piercingly sad but never sentimental.

Lily the cat is loving yet self-interested; her perspective is at once intimate (she can eavesdrop like a champ) and limited. Anything that doesn't happen in the house or nearby must be intuited, and though she understands her humans well, ther
Marisa
What a sweet, pure book! Reading this made me want to pick up my cat and hug her and love her endlessly, and I did pick her up and hug her frequently, much to her displeasure! This novel is a family story told through the eyes of their beloved cat, and it’s most importantly a story about love in its purest form. If only we all had Lilys who loved us and wanted to help us unconditionally!
Lisa Duffy
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A huge fan of Sandi Ward’s debut novel, The Astonishing Thing, I was anxious to get my hands on an early copy of her next book. Something Worth Saving, Ward’s sophomore novel, was worth the wait. Powerful and smartly written, Ward explores the intricate workings of family life with a compassionate touch and unflinching honesty. You’ll root for the characters in this memorable novel long after you’ve turned the last page.
Sharon
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
I ran hot and cold with this book. I liked the idea of the narrator being a cat, but that grew a bit old after a while. It also irked me that it was alluded to, but no one ever said that the youngest son way gay, why the shame?
Darth Vix
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy from the author through TLC Book Tours in exchange for my honest review of it.

Something Worth Saving was completely different from anything I have read before and I loved it. It is told from the perspective of the family cat. We follow Lily as she navigates and experiences her world that revolves around her human family, their experiences and relationships with each other and the animals in their lives. Things are changing pretty fast in Lily’s family, some good changes and som
Jennie
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this story about a family and their pets. The story is told from the point of view of the cat, Lily. Lily did not always understand what certain actions meant, example when someone had a gun, so more explanation was needed. In this story the father has moved out and when Mark comes into their lives to build bookshelves their lives start to change. Charlie is being bullied, Mark has lost his wife and baby, and the father has a drinking problem. Things so get better by the end of the boo ...more
CLM
Enjoyable and quirky story told by the family cat with surprising insight. Here is a link to my review: https://perfectretort.blogspot.com/20... ...more
Janet
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
From the publisher, as I do not regurgitate the contents or story of books in reviews, I let them do it!

Sandi Ward’s shrewdly observed, funny, and wonderfully touching novel tells of a fractured family, a teenage boy, and a remarkable cat whose loyalty knows no bounds . . .

Laurie
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I think this is a story that all parents should read!
It is told by Lily, the family cat who knows secrets within her pack that nobody else is aware of.
It is a book about love, loss, abuse, dependency and the impacts on an entire family.
If only Lily could tell all! If only she could make all of it go away!
Her mission is to get help for each person that she loves! She will find a way to get her message to her people and the help needed to prevent further hurt in her family.
It's definitely a won
Christine Lowe
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sandi Ward chose an unusual way to tell the story of Something Worth Saving. Lily was a young kitten when the youngest Anderson child Charlie chose her to be part of their family. She wasn't perfect. Her former owner kicked her and broke her rear leg. It healed but left her with a limp. Lily was a very observant cat and did her best to help her new family.

This is a cleverly told fami!y drama. Jeremy was hurt at work and was given pain ki!lers after the surgery. He became dependent on the pills a
Evie
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
This year marks my first year, in 20 years, without my two lifelong fur-friends, Webby & Boo-Boo. I lost both brothers shortly before the new year, and have been nearly incapable of "handling it", or explaining why this is such a hard-hitting loss for me to others who have commented anything from "get over it; they're just cats" and "just go adopt another one". For some reason, it is hard for many people to understand the bond one can have with their pets, even though it's easy for pet owners to ...more
N.N. Light
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A touching, poignant story told from the cat's POV. We need more stories like this!

My Rating: 5 stars

ISBN: 9781496711137
Author Website: sandiwardbooks(.)com
Brought to you by OBS Reviewer Jeanie

Synopsis:

A boy and his cat. It’s an unconventional friendship, perhaps, but for Charlie and Lily, it works beautifully. It was Charlie who chose Lily from among a
Joe Borg
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable light reading , I felt that the short chapters make for an effortless ease of following the narrative.
A story of a modern day family with its ups and downs with the first person narrator being one of the family pets , a cat the other is a dog . all cat lovers know that cats are or think that they are superior top dogs.
The book treats various modern day situations , like marriage and divorce, alcohol addiction and bullying among other things with statements of fact without any pr
Kathleen Gray
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ward has once again written a sweet and thoughtful novel narrated by a cat. Yes a cat. Lily the cat is the observer in a family of wounded people. This is so topical in its themes and so sensitive in how it handles addiction and abuse and the impact of those on a family. Charlie is Lily's person- he's the one who adopted her- but he's also fond of the others, all of whom are struggling. Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC. This is a touching heartwarming read.
Jessica
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: blog-tours
Full review to follow
Anne
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really love this author, and this new title did not disappoint! As an avid cat lover for many years, I really enjoyed watching and listening to the story unfold from the cat’s point of view. The way the plot evolved kept me turning the pages faster and faster because I really cared about the main characters. The whole story has made me look at my own cats and it totally different way! Highly recommend!
Brittany
Sep 29, 2019 rated it liked it
The plot was okay, but the writing was simplistic with an overuse of exclamation points; however, I love cats, so 3 stars
Janine
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is an enjoyable tale told from a cat’s point of view.

Lily was an abused kitten who was turned over to a shelter with her siblings. She was the last kitten adopted because she was flawed. She had a broken leg that didn’t heal properly and she was left with a limp. So, she knows what it’s like not to be perfect. She adopted by a family that she has come to love and will do anything to protect. She especially wants to help Charlie, the youngest son, after she discovers bruises on him. Lily do
Jenni Walsh
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was so intriguing to me. As in Sandi Ward's debut novel, this sophomore novel is told through the perspective of the family cat. I enjoy this perspective, where Lily J. Potter (best cat name ever) covertly, cleverly, simplistically (but not in an unsophisticated manner), and earnestly tells the story of a family unit facing drama on all fronts. The ending was sweet and satisfying, just what I was hoping for.
v
Jan 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, womens-fiction
Thank you @sandiwardbooks and @tlcbooktours for this free copy to review!

Have you ever wished you knew exactly what your pet was thinking? Something Worth Saving is uniquely narrated by Lily the cat. Lily loves the youngest Charlie best, because it was Charlie that chose her at the shelter despite her injured back leg. Instead of seeing a defect, he wanted to save her. Now Lily notices bruises on Charlie's body; bruises he's hiding from everyone but her. The parents, Kate and Jeremy have just se
Meghan Masterson
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sandi Ward's second novel is an immensely enjoyable read! Lily, the family cat, has a special bond with Charlie, the teenage boy who rescued her from the shelter. Lily is an endearing, observant narrator, and her affectionate interactions with the family, including the dog, Gretel, skillfully highlight the familial relationships and tensions. Lily’s dry narration is often amusing – as you might expect, a cat is an excellent eavesdropper – but her perspective also cuts to the core, showing the tr ...more
Karen Sargent
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have to be honest. When I saw Sandi Ward's first book, The Astonishing Thing, the English teacher in me was skeptical that a cat could narrate a story that would be engaging and worth the precious minutes I squeak out of the day to read for enjoyment. Another confession...I'm not really a cat lover. I just love my cat, not all cats. But the cover of The Astonishing Thing was so sweet, and the cat's name was Boo. (How can an English teacher resist "Boo," which makes me think of a character in m ...more
Jaina Rose
Jan 26, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: blogged
This review is also available on my blog, Read Till Dawn.

I hate to quit a book before I've finished it, but once in a while I just can't make myself get through a book. This is one of those times.

I like the premise: the story of a dysfunctional, separated family is told through the eyes of the family cat. Unfortunately, right out the gate I took a disliking to the narration. It's cute, the idea of having a cat tell the story, but Lily is the most un-cat-like cat I've ever read about. She acts mo
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Secret Life of Mac
  • My Life in a Cat House: True Tales of Love, Laughter, and Living with Five Felines
  • Homer and the Holiday Miracle
  • Beautiful
  • Frontier Incursion
  • Frontier Resistance
  • Frontier Defiant
  • Bono: The Amazing Story of a Rescue Cat Who Inspired a Community
  • Please Don't Feed the Mayor
  • Bare Your Bones (Avery Hart Trilogy, #2)
  • Every Last Mark (Avery Hart Trilogy, #3)
  • When We Do Harm: A Doctor Confronts Medical Error
  • The Little Book of Bob: Everyday wisdom from Street Cat Bob
  • War Dogs: Tales of Canine Heroism, History, and Love
  • Mrs. Morris and the Ghost (A Salem B&B Mystery, #1)
  • The Cowboy's Gamble (A Love So Sweet, #1)
  • The Witch Is Dead (Ophelia & Abby, #5)
  • Repair to Her Grave (Home Repair is Homicide, #4)
Sandi Ward is a native New Englander who now lives on the Jersey Shore with her husband, kids, dog and a big black cat named Winnie. She received her MA in Creative Writing from NYU, and is a copywriter at an advertising agency. Her novels include THE ASTONISHING THING, SOMETHING WORTH SAVING, and WHAT HOLDS US TOGETHER (Kensington Books).

Visit Sandi at: http://www.sandiwardbooks.com