Start by marking “Behold a Fair Woman” as Want to Read:
Behold a Fair Woman

Behold a Fair Woman

(Mordecai Tremaine #5)

Beware murder in paradise

Mordecai Tremaine's hobby of choice -crime detection- has left him in need of a holiday. A break away from that gruesome business of murder will be just the ticket, and the picturesque island of Moulin d'Or seems to be just the destination.

Amid the sunshine and the sea air, Mordecai falls in with a band of fellow holidaymakers and tries to forget t
Published January 1st 2019 by Sourcebooks Landmark (first published 1954)

To ask other readers questions about Behold a Fair Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Behold a Fair Woman

Damaskcat
Apr 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mordecai Tremaine has taken up an invitation from friends to spend a holiday with them on the island of Moulin D'Or. He wants a break from criminology and hopes to have a relaxing time - walking, talking to his friends, seeing the sights of the idyllic island and learning about tomato cultivation. But he ought to have known better as murder happens even in the best regulated societies and Moulin D'Or is no exception.

Fortunately Mordecai's fame has gone before him and his help is welcomed by the
Yun
Apr 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Behold a Fair Woman is the fifth and last book of the Mordecai Tremaine series. In this one, Mordecai is taking a much needed holiday away from crime when murder strikes, and he has no choice but to get involved and help out.

Like the others in this cozy mystery series, this book's plot unfolds slowly. In fact, the murder doesn't occur until about half way through book after we have met all the potential suspects. What follows is the slow and steady reveal of clues and of secrets, which everyone
Barb in Maryland
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars rounded up to 4 because I love the main character.

This one was almost too convoluted--I wasn't sure that the author would be able to tie all the threads together. Indeed, I had to read the ending twice to make sure I had all the clues and plot lines accounted for.

Moredcai Tremaine is taking a much needed break from his 'hobby' of crime detection by visiting friends on one of the Channel Islands. While there he becomes involved with several local residents and with the owner and his gue
Sue
So very sad that this is the last one of this series - what a great bunch of books! I loved them!
John Frankham
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-detective
Another worthwhile whodunnit in the series, from 1954. Slightly gruesome, rather ploddingly written, with rather heavy-handed humour, this puzzle, based in one of the Channel Islands (without it being specified) is nevertheless well-constructed, with a wide range of characters, relationships, mysteries, and adventures. Well-worth reading.

The GR blurb:

'Amateur sleuth Mordecai Tremaine is back in another classic mystery from the author of Murder for Christmas.
Mordecai Tremaine’s hobby of choice –
Susan
Jan 28, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-england
I am grateful that the publisher is reissuing Duncan's books, but this is the weakest of the four I've read so far. Amateur sleuth Mordecai Tremaine is vacationing with friends on what seems to be a Channel island, and becomes friendly with some of the people staying at the small local hotel, as well as with some of the people living locally. When he finds the body of the hotel owner, the police are on the spot. Fortunately, Tremaine's reputation has gone before him, and he's welcomed to their i ...more
Jane
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
What utter rot!!! So saccharine and heavy handy. Francis Duncan’s best mystery achievement was keeping his own identity a secret - not much was known about the author until 2015 when his daughter came forward and revealed it was a pseudonym used by her father, William Underhill. (All I can think of is Fletch: “Put It on the Underhill’s tab!”)
The novel was just plain clumsy. You don’t get to know the characters at all, everything is told in no uncertain terms through the perspective of amateur sl
Jenny
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Fair murder mystery plot. Good twists. Just felt like it was missing something. Barely got myself into the third chapter. Feel like a movie could do this better justice but they'd have to bring in whatever it's missing.
Cindy Ladensack
Love this author; the mystery, characters, and setting were splendid. I thought it was setting up kinda like a Scooby Doo episode to begin with—a creepy, run-down hotel and an abandoned mill—but the plot went in a different and very satisfying direction.
Mandy Burkhart
I 100% pulled this book off the shelf at the library because of it's interesting size and beautifully illustrated cover. The actual story was alright, I really enjoyed the "About the Author" section at the end, a tiny little micromystery in and of itself.
Sally
Feb 05, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. Interesting with lots of red herrings but it just didn’t do it for me. Worth reading to see how writing style has changed over the years.
Kaeeap
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
not a fan, wondering where this was recommended or why I picked this up
found it confusing and not all that engaging
Neal Obermeyer
I found this book incredibly charming and I loved the confidence of the writing style, but it was such a chore to trudge through this.
Caroline
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another great Mordecai Tremaine ripped from obscurity. I especially enjoyed the island setting and the look into Great Britain and its inhabitants after WWII.
Sophie Barrett
Jan 10, 2017
Lynda Lowman
Jan 04, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Francis Duncan is the pseudonym for William Walter Frank Underhill, who was born in 1914. He lived virtually all his life in Bristol and was a 'scholarship boy' boarder at Queen Elizabeth's Hospital school. Due to family circumstances he was unable to go to university and started work in the Housing Department of Bristol City Council. Writing was always important to him and very early on he publis ...more

Mordecai Tremaine (5 books)
  • Murder has a Motive (Mordecai Tremaine #1)
  • Murder for Christmas (Mordecai Tremaine #2)
  • So Pretty a Problem (Mordecai Tremaine #3)
  • In at the Death (Mordecai Tremaine #4)