Start by marking “Fire & Heist” as Want to Read:
Fire & Heist

Fire & Heist

Fans of Cassandra Clare and Julie Kagawa will devour this contemporary fantasy about a teen were-dragon who must steal her first treasure. But a dark discovery during her heist could put her family in incredible danger.

In Sky Hawkins's family, leading your first heist is a major milestone--even more so than learning to talk, walk, or do long division. It's a chance to gain
Published December 4th 2018 by Crown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Fire & Heist, please sign up.
Joanna were-dragons = people that can shift into dragons... it has been done before. Seraphina and Firelight are just a few.
Lira I mean, stealing the graphics does go with the whole theme, I guess. And there is also the were-dragons=dragonborn connection, so maybe there is…moreI mean, stealing the graphics does go with the whole theme, I guess. And there is also the were-dragons=dragonborn connection, so maybe there is more...(less)

Emily May
May 15, 2018 marked it as lost-interest  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
Heists.
Were-dragons.
HEISTS AND WERE-DRAGONS.

I was gonna say "you had me at 'heist'" but then I read "were-dragons" and now I'm not so sure I was completely had before...

You can wish (and hope and pray and chant under the moon) for this on Netgalley: https://www.netgalley.com/catalog/boo...

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Youtube
Carrie
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Fire and Heist by Sarah Beth Durst is a young adult fantasy read that is a standalone story. The author described her idea for this one as wanting to write Ocean's Eleven with Were-dragons so of course this odd description definitely got my curiosity aroused. It's safe to say when done too this doesn't really remind me of anything I've read before which for me is a good thing.

Sky Hawkin is a teenage Wyvern, a human with the ability to shift into a dragon, although the Wyvern here on Earth have
Sherwood Smith
When I saw a mention that Durst had gotten the idea of writing a story that combined Ocean's 11 and wyverns, I couldn't sign up fast enough.

And what fun it was!

Sixteen-year-old Sky Hawkin is a normal teenager emotions-wise--her grief is quite real at the beginning, in which we learn that her beloved and feisty mother vanished, her family has been disgraced, her friends unfriended her with prejudice, and most hurtful at all, her boyfriend, who'd been her bestie since they were three, publicly dum
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
5/16/18
Since I have read The Queen of Blood at this point and am definitely a fan of Ms. Durst, I can't wait for this!
---
3/19/2018
Finally a release date and cover!

Taylor
Dragons?? Heists?? AND THAT COVER?!

At this point, I'll read anything Sarah Beth Durst writes. This is gonna be amazing.

And I also wanna know who the hell is rating this book before it's even come out?? Why?? Would you do this?? It's pissing me off and it needs to stop.
Amanda
You can also read my review here: https://devouringbooks2017.wordpress....

This book took two of my favorite things to read about, heists and a fantasy world, and put them in the same novel. I had pretty low expectations for this book, but it was actually really cool. Wyverns, or dragon shifters, were a really fun fantasy species to read about. They all steal and have a horde of treasures, so theft is part of the culture and looked upon highly if properly pulled off without getting caught.

The ch
Jennymort ♔ The Dark Lordette ♔ House of Slytheread
description
*ARC received from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.*

Well. Oceans 11? A Heist? DRAGONS!?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA

description

What a letdown. We got teenagers, disappeared mothers, family dishonor, and among other things, just super simplistic high school drama crap. This read like the books I read in middle school/high school before I started to really get into reading. I did not feel any connection to the characters and I can tell you right now that I don't remember any of this book other than
Lauren Stoolfire
I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

As a wyvern (think were-dragon), leading your first heist is a big deal - bigger than taking your first step and saying your first word. It's your first chance to really gain power and acceptance within your family and community. However, leading a life of crime isn't easy, and Sky learns the truth about her mother, who recently went missing, the real reason her boyfriend broke up with her, and a valuable jewel that could restore
Jessi (Novel Heartbeat)
Dec 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own, 4-star

It's not arrogant to know who you are.
It's powerful.
And I am powerful.

Oh my gosh, this book was SO fun! I found Durst's prose to be quirky and engaging - I laughed out loud more than once. I absolutely loved the concept, it was fantastic! MAGIC. HEISTS. WERE. DRAGONS. Yes, that's right. Weredragons!! How awesome is that?! I also loved that they were thieves of gold and hoarders of treasure by nature.

I absolutely loved the sense of family that this book had going on. Sky had a close relationsh
Christa
A really cute stand alone YA fantasy, this is one you won’t want to miss. It’s got action, dragons, a hint of romance, and great characters.

Sky is a wyvern and her mother is missing. Having three older brothers, Sky is used to fending for herself. She takes it on her own to lead her first heist, and plans on using what she steals as leverage for info on her mom. Little does she know the secrets and conspiracies she’s about to unravel.

The highlight of this book is the relationship between Sky a
Dani - Perspective of a Writer
description
Check out more reviews @ Perspective of a Writer...

In Sky Hawkins’s family, leading your first heist is a major milestone… It’s a chance to gain power and acceptance within your family, and within society. But stealing your first treasure can be complicated, especially when you’re a wyvern–a human capable of turning into a dragon. With a handpicked crew by her side, Sky knows she has everything she needs to complete her first heist, and get her boyfriend and mother back in the process. But then
Sandra
Were-dragons!!!????!!!

o.O

Omg. DRAGONS.
Vicky Who Reads
Dec 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Can I just say that I was very pleasantly surprised by this novel? And by very pleasantly surprised I mean I was absolutely blown away by this!

I just . . . did not expect this to be that great? Right from chapter 1 I was hit with something akin to awe.

Because the voice in this book is so stellar. I still can't properly describe it, but know that I am IN LOVE with how genuine the voice sounds and how Sky felt so teenage and real and interesting.

Straight from the beginning, Sky felt super
Scrill
12/31/2017
Okay, it's practically 2018 now. When's the release date?? Helloooo?? Can't we get more information about this yet??

9/25/2017
It's got dragons. It's got a heist.

Let me rephrase that..It's got thieving dragons!
Lisa
Jul 30, 2018 added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, arc
DNF at 30 percent

Not bad, just not my taste. The world-building was odd. Wyverns (or were-dragons) live among us...yet pop culture is essentially the same. Like the Harry Potter books are mentioned multiple times. This will likely not bother most people, but I just felt like the world would be fundamentally different if, you know, half-people/half-dragons existed.

Plus the plot/romance had a very familiar feel.
Alaina
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Okay, fire and heist had potential. I was so pumped to dive into this review but for the first half - I was so freaking bored. I wasn’t connecting to any of characters and I also didn’t care one bit about the drama either. Thankfully, it started to pick up after halfway through the book. Unfortunately, it was a little too late.

In this book, you will meet Sky. She’s a wyvern, which is basically a dragon shifter. Sky was an
Chelsea
May 23, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2-star
DNF @ like 10% - if you enjoyed Sarah Beth Durst's other novel, Drink, Slay, Love, you'll likely enjoy this one. Stylistically, this sort of light, colloquial take on fantasy should work for me, but I can't take it seriously. I didn't find the characters or world interesting, and the narrative reads like it's trying bit too hard. Just not for me.

Maybe would have finished it if were-dragons had been werewolf/dragons rather than humans that turn into dragons...
Alyssa
Thank you, Jessi, for once again inflating my TBR. :D

Also! I looooved Vessel .
Felicia
“I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.”

I was super excited to be accepted for this arc from NetGalley. I don't request many arcs but when I found out my girl Alaina was going to read it I requested it right away and we buddy read it together. And man, am I so ridiculously happy I did!

This is the story of Sky Hawkins. She's a wyvern, a human who can transform into a dragon, but wyverns haven't been able to transform for generations.
Aila
Get ready for an incredible adventure and determined heroine that is unputdownable from start to finish! Fire and Heist places magical beings such as wizards and were-dragons - or wyverns - in our currently time today. The catch? No one really knows their secrets, not even Sky, whose family used to be on the council for the wyverns. But when her mother suddenly disappears and her family moping around without action, Sky takes the lead in finishing the job her mother started - only to discover se ...more
Elise (TheBookishActress)
...are were-dragons a thing
Teri
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Humans that turn into dragons?  Heists?  Why wouldn't you want to read this?  I couldn't wait to get my hands on it.

Sky's family and friends are the most important things in her life - along with kissing and ice cream.  Her priorities are straight, and her humorous voice makes this such a fun read.  The world-building is amusing - in the wyvern culture, leading your first heist is cause for celebration.  As dragons, stealing and hoarding gold is encouraged, so in Sky's world, her situation is pr
Nicole (FearYourEx)
4/5 Stars

Fire and Heist was such a fun read! Sky's family has been disgraced and shunned from the other wyverns. They lost half of their fortune, all of their friends, and they lost her mom. Sky doesn't want to just forget about her mom. She plans a heist with some very unlikely allies to get back their fortune and her mom back. Naturally it doesn't go as planned and she has to fix it.

Sky was a very likable character, she was a little bit "whoa is me" but at an understandable level considering w
laurel [suspected bibliophile]
Ocean's 11 meets were-dragons with the tone of Also Known As and a dash of creepy cult happiness (view spoiler)

There's nothing so important as planning your first heist. Gold. Treasure. Hoard. It's as important as family in a wyvern's life—and Sky Hawkin's family is broken. After her mother's last failed heist resulted in her disappearance and the family's shunning from wyvern society, Sky is determined to pull off her first hei
Max Baker
Thank you Netgalley for providing me a free review copy in exchange for an honest review

I love Sarah Beth Durst's books. Eat, Slay, Love earned it's place on my favorites shelf, Conjured gave me lovely Coraline vibes, and Chasing Power is just a joyous, ridiculous romp from start to finish. So when Fire & Heist was announced, I was all over it. Because...I mean...were-dragons preforming elaborate heists to get their hoards? Sign me up.

And honestly, the premise is what's going to drive intere
Krystle
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars.

I love Sarah Beth Durst's writing. You can never go wrong with one of her books.

What I love the most about her books is that they are light hearted, feel good stories. If you want a pick me up, her books are great to delve into. There isn't any melodrama in her plots and they focus mostly on character relationships, growing into oneself, and striving to bring something fresh and unique to the table.

To put it plainly, her books are just plain fun.

There was everything of that in here.
Michelle Lecumberry
Dragons and Heists. What more do I need?

I think my main issue with Fire & Heist were my high expectations. I wanted a Six of Crows meets Game of Thrones ,but at the end of the day, the book is really cute and fun read.

One main issue for me was the world building. I felt lost and had a million questions about the world we were in. The characters are not particularly my favorite and I feel like for a heist novel you have to raise the stakes, making you care about the gang. Sky’s really carri
Jenny Bravo
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review!

Fire and Heist was a fun, creative, STAND ALONE, modern-fantasy hybrid full of action. The history behind wyverns, their existence amongst humans, and gold obsessed genetics was so enjoyable to read about. I blew through this so quickly. So, I commented earlier about it reminding me of Oceans 8... in the acknowledgement the author says she thought of Oceans 11 and dragons. 😂 I KNEW IT!
My favorite part of Fire and Heist was the f
Lilly (Lair Of Books)
ARC provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review

Were-dragons & heists?!?! SAY WHATTTTT?!?! I already have The Queens of Renthia series at the top of my TBR after reading so many amazing reviews & hearing my BFF's rave about them. I couldn't resist when I saw the author pop up with a new book that had two of my fave things...DRAGONS & HEISTS!!! *extended hands* haha! :)
Nikki (Book Allure)
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
DTF at 70%. No offense but who let this get published
  • Black Bird of the Gallows (Black Birds of the Gallows, #1)
  • Untitled (Stolen Crowns, #1)
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
  • Pitch Dark
  • Reign the Earth (The Elementae, #1)
  • Shimmer and Burn (Shimmer and Burn, #1)
  • Heart of Thorns (Heart of Thorns, #1)
  • Given to the Sea (Given Duet, #1)
  • Wicked Like a Wildfire (Hibiscus Daughter, #1)
  • The Dragon's Price (Transference, #1)
  • Devils & Thieves (Devils & Thieves, #1)
  • Royal Bastards (Royal Bastards, #1)
  • Cloudforest (Cloudforest, #1)
  • Unearthed (Unearthed, #1)
  • Empress of a Thousand Skies (Empress of a Thousand Skies, #1)
  • Beast: A Tale of Love and Revenge
  • Even the Darkest Stars (Even the Darkest Stars #1)
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
Sarah Beth Durst is the award-winning author of seventeen fantasy books for adults, teens, and kids, including The Queens of Renthia series, Drink Slay Love, and The Girl Who Could Not Dream. She won an ALA Alex Award and a Mythopoeic Fantasy Award, and has been a finalist for SFWA's Andre Norton Award three times. She is a graduate of Princeton University, where she spent four years studying Engl ...more