Start by marking “Shiloh” as Want to Read:
Shiloh

Shiloh

“The ground had opened up and spit out hell and the detritus was Shiloh.”

For two days in the year 1862, the bloodiest battle of the American Civil War held theatre in southern Tennessee – a patch of land called Shiloh. Thousands of soldiers on both sides of the conflict lost their lives, and tens of thousands more were badly injured. For twin brothers Henry and William, in
Published April 25th 2018 by Lovecraft eZine Press (first published November 5th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Shiloh, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shiloh

Karl
May 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This chapbook contains two stories:

07 - "Shiloh"
51 - "Soda Jerk"

Both are powerful in their own ways. The first "Shiloh" concerns the American Civil War, one of the definitions of civil is - courteous and polite - certainly not where this story is concerned. It brings new meaning to the adage "War is Hell", there was nothing civil to speak of, unless blood, guts, and cannibalism are part of your personal definition.

In the second though much shorter story we meet Carrie-Ann, a young lady recently
Kimberly
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
SHILOH is the second novella I have read by author Philip Fracassi. The paperback version of this includes a bonus story, "Soda Jerk". SHILOH follows the adventures of twin brothers--Henry and William--during two days of fighting for the Confederacy in the American Civil War.

". . . War has a way of pulling wallflowers off the paper, forcing them into a garden, stuck there to live or die."

In this brutal and gory battle, I was surprised at how often Fracassi's prose came off as almost poetic in
Richard
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Philip Fracassi once again gives us another unsettling, haunting novella, this time set during the infamous Battle of Shiloh, one of the bloodiest of the American Civil War. As we follow two twin brothers struggling to survive the conflict, the story is told in vivid, indelible imagery that paints the graphic horror of war, but also the OTHER disturbing horrors they discover amidst the carnage.
The war might spare my life, but I’m confident my soul is long-since forfeit. You don’t wash with ano
S.P.
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Philip Fracassi-penned supernatural tales I’ve read are set in locations most readers and filmgoers would find familiar. Within the perceived comfort of this ‘home base’ there are signs, disruptions of normalcy that gradually infect the reader’s awareness until they can no longer be ignored or attributed to a character’s paranoia. This is certainly true of “Soda Jerk,” a classically creepy suburban horror story included in the Lovecraft eZine edition of Fracassi’s novella, Shiloh.

For the mai
Bill
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fracassi is soild. I like this guy. Consistently good and Shiloh is no exception. A very well done short and a format that the author really shines.
Glenn Rolfe
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
SHILOH is a cool little novella. This is my first time reading Fracassi and it won't be my last.

"You don’t wash with another man’s blood and expect to get clean."

The story takes place during the Civil War. Twin brothers fighting for the south find themselves among piles of body parts and fallen men. That part offered a great look into what was a horrible time for our nation. When one of the brothers starts seeing things attached to combatants, he wonders if its the stress of war or if he's simpl
Brandon Petry
Thoroughly enjoyed the new Philip Fracassi novella Shiloh from Lovecraft eZine Press (makers of excellent podcasts and books). I finished the book a week ago and can't stop thinking about it. Entertaining, bloody, weird, well written and a great introduction to his work. I recommend going out and getting your hands on a copy ASAP.

I was lucky enough to hear the author read from Shiloh at The Outer Dark Symposium back in March and couldn't wait to get my hands on this. Philip is one hell of a writ
Clint
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
Shane Douglas Keene
Shelves: 2018
Full length review coming to https://inkheist.com next week.

Shiloh gazes into the darkness and horrors of war and discovers an even deeper threat that dwells just beyond the veil of reality. Fracassi once again does what he does so masterfully, taking on a familiar subject or event and subverting it to his own uses, transforming it into a thing that is at once unique and mind-blowing. His brand of weird, cosmic terror is like nothing you've experienced before. 1000 stars for sheer originality an
Scott Kemper
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m speechless. This novella was amazing.
Joshua
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What begins as a harrowing. firsthand account of the grisly Battle of Pittsburgh landing takes a swift and unexpected turn towards the darkly surreal in this elegant and stylish little novella. The introduction of the supernatural element into the story is appropriately jarring, yet somehow plausible within the context here and likely surprises the reader as much as it does the protagonists.

Of course, as with any dark fiction set in one of the bloodiest and grimmest conflicts of the American Ci
Curtis
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is my first time reading Philip Fracassi. I enjoyed SHILOH, mainly because it's a historical horror story. I dig US military history, and this one was in my wheelhouse. Even though Fracassi didn't knock this one out of the park, he did hit it to the warning track.

“The ground had opened up and spit out hell and the detritus was Shiloh.”

SHILOH takes place in 1862 during the Civil War. Shiloh was a small patch of land in southern Tenessee used as a battlefield. Shiloh was a bloody battle inde
Magnus
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2018
Don't worry, Philip, I liked this one.
Sincerely,
Magnus (also known as Some Dutch Guy on The Outer Dark Podcast)
Anthony Watson
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shiloh is the new novella from Philip Fracassi, now published in paperback by Lovecraft ezine press following the release of a limited edition hardback version. Philip is a writer whose work I now anticipate with great relish, providing as he has some of my favourite reads of the last few years. That anticipation was pushed almost beyond limits at the news that the novella has a historical setting given my predilection for horrors set in the past.

As the title might suggest, the story takes place
Matthew
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A cracking read. Will be writing a full review for this one in the coming days.
Mike D
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Click here to read my full review at Signal Horizon Weird horror meets the human brutality of one of the American Civil War's worst battles- not a mix you would expect to work, but Fracassi pulls it off in spades! Balancing action and atmosphere, the horror of war and supernatural horror, is where Fracassi really shines in this work. Highly recommended for horror fans that are looking for something more than your run of the mill ghost, vampire, or other such cliche. As a novella Shiloh reads qui ...more
Tony
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Last time I reviewed a Philip Fracassi novella I was on a flight to Sweden, this time I’m heading in the opposite direction bound for Ireland. These shorter works of fiction sure are neat travelling companions and pulling in at a brief 47 pages “Shiloh” certainly caused plenty of distractions on the way to the Emerald Isle. Since I discovered this author eighteen months ago I’m become a huge fan of his clever novellas and strikingly original short stories. “Shiloh” is a fascinating addition to h ...more
Thomas Joyce
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The horror of war is very real. Hollywood went through a period in the aftermath of the Vietnam War where this was used to great effect, in movies such as Apocalypse Now, Full Metal Jacket, Platoon. The list is endless. The list of horror movies, or fiction, featuring the American Civil War as the setting is much shorter. But considering it is the bloodiest conflict in the history of the United States, it does seem to be fertile ground for a good horror story. Which is exactly what Philip Fracas ...more
Eddie Generous
Apr 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unnerving Magazine Review
To start, SHILOH paints a setting not often (not to my experience anyhow) featured in horror literature. The Civil War is not a big topic on my radar as a Canadian, but I understand the just of it and have seen enough movies and TV to imagine the scenes, though none of what I’ve seen on the tube reveals the layers offered by Fracassi in this novella. Accompanying horror with a historical event works to add depth and offers new space for originality. The vibe is heavy and
Michael Upstill
May 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Unfortunately life got in the way and finishing this beauty took far longer than it should have. It is obvious that Philip Fracassi put a lot of thought and background work into Shiloh, a Civil War story that somehow blends the stark horrors of the battlefield, angels, demons and cannibalism together without making the story sound outlandish, foolish or absurd. I had no idea, even halfway at through the read, which way the plot was headed (which never fails to please me).
I was pleasantly surpris
Alan Baxter
May 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, novella
Brutal and harrowing, exquisitely written, this is a powerful novella.
Gordon White
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It wouldn’t be quite right to say that Philip Fracassi’s new novella SHILOH (Lovecraft eZine Press) is set against the backdrop of the American Civil War. Rather, it plunges the reader right into the thick of one of the bloodiest battles in American history and refuses to flinch. As protagonist Henry and his brother Will soon find, however, the horror of war is only the beginning and something far stranger is occurring. Vivid, visceral, and charging headlong into the no man’s land between histor ...more
Simon Gosden
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
A short novella based around the events of 1862 at Shiloh, one of the bloodiest battles in the American Civil War. The supernatural element soon becomes apparent as two brothers try to survive the horrors of battle but become embroiled in something even worse.
David
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
🤘🤘🤘🤘🤘

Fracassi writes so beautifully. I've been watching a lot of civil war documentaries and this book took me deep into the battle of Shiloh. Add a dash of the supernatural and we got a winner. Buy this mans work.
Valerie
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Liked the Civil War setting! Good, interesting story!
Rob
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read

It's an easy quick read. I think this writer has potential, but something lacks in this story. Maybe the characters weren't deep enough, so it was hard to make a connection. Maybe the story wasn't deep enough. However, his writing style is vivid, and I was entertained. Not bad.
Mindy
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first story was a sobering take on a battle during the Civil War. I sat on the patio with it this morning and I was so wrapped up I wouldn't have been at all surprised to smell gunpowder in the air. Beautifully executed, really. Other reviews offer more information but I hate to give anything away.
As for the second story, all I'm thinking about is whether any of the lake homes in Sabbath are listed on Airbnb. I'm sure my family would enjoy a weekend away.
Kevin Frost
Didn't like. Started ok and wore out it's welcome.
Zakk Madness
Jun 27, 2018
Adam James
May 13, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Philip Fracassi, an award-winning author and screenwriter, lives in Los Angeles, and works full-time in the film industry and on his writing.

His debut collection of short horror fiction, BEHOLD THE VOID, was released in March 2017 by JournalStone Publishing and won the 2017 "Short Story Collection of the Year" from This Is Horror.

His novellas SHILOH, FRAGILE DREAMS, and SACCULINA are now availabl