Start by marking “A Long Way From Chicago (Long Way from Chicago, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Long Way From Chicago (Long Way from Chicago, #1)

A Long Way From Chicago (A Long Way from Chicago #1)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  29,799 Ratings  ·  2,159 Reviews
Meet the unforgettable Grandma Dowdel!

Each summer over the nine years of the Depression, Joey and his sister, Mary Alice -- two city slickers from Chicago -- make their annual visit to Grandma Dowdel's sleepy Illinois town. Soon enough, they find that it’s far from sleepy... and Grandma is far from typical. From seeing their first corpse (and he isn't resting easy) to hel
Published 2000 by Scholastic, Inc. (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about A Long Way From Chicago, please sign up.
Sydney 4363 If you are using the slang term 'Is it good, boi?' for 'Is it good?' then, in my opinion, it is very good but I only liked it because I like history.…moreIf you are using the slang term 'Is it good, boi?' for 'Is it good?' then, in my opinion, it is very good but I only liked it because I like history. If you don't like history, I wouldn't recommend it to you.(less)
Ashley Jacobson Well, it starts with a description of two very young kids seeing a dead body, then goes on to describe how grandma takes advantage of this death to…moreWell, it starts with a description of two very young kids seeing a dead body, then goes on to describe how grandma takes advantage of this death to mess with her enemy and make herself look good and then force the kids to see said body. There is lying, cheating, and all sorts of problems. I don't call that appropriate!(less)

Melki
"I don't think Grandma's a very good influence on us," Mary Alice said.

Every August, Joey Dowdel and his kid sister Mary Alice spend a week at their Granny's house.

She was so big and the town was so small. She was old too, or so we thought -- old as the hills. And tough! She was tough as an old boot, or so we thought. As the years went by though, Mary Alice and I grew up, and though Grandma never changed, we'd seem to see a different woman every summer.

Over the years, Grandma Dowdel gets the kid
Abby
May 01, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this little book. It was funny. It's about two kids from Chicago who go and visit their Grandma in the country every summer, and how she is exactly like my funny Grandma (aka "Granny") in North Carolina.

My sister recommended this book to me after she read it in her book club. I am a book club virgin. (Meaning, I have never actually belonged to a book club, or attended a live meeting, but I DO love talking about books on this website - oh my gosh, is that like the dorky guys who never act
Gloria
Jul 27, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Older children, younger teens
Recommended to Gloria by: Teacher
Shelves: young-adult
This story’s grandma does not exactly fit the mold of the classic plump, white-haired, cookie-baking character used in other stories or commercial ads. Grandma Dowdel has a rather tough and leather-like persona that fascinates her two grandchildren each summer as they learn more and more about how she thinks.
Through these summer experiences, the reader learns about the Great Depression, small town America, and gets a glimpse of Chicago during its gangster-plagued years. More than history, howeve
Cosette
Mar 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm really loving this author. Yes, I'm picking up books from the children's section and reading them to myself. But these books are so much easier to enjoy than the junk written for adult readers!! Characters that you either want to meet or could swear you have already. Circumstances that feel familiar and comfortable - like an old worn cotton shirt, the smell of breakfast coming up the stairs to wake you with the pleasant reminder that you are visiting grandma and they don't serve cold cereal ...more
Melissa McShane
This is just a really good MG book that I think all ages will enjoy. My adult daughter saw it on the table next to my writing space and said, "That is worth re-reading often." That's totally true. I love Grandma Dowdel and the complexity of her character, and I love seeing the two kids grow up over the years and be shaped by what they learn a long way from Chicago.
Alm Melson
Mar 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone!
A great book! Very funny. People who live in or grew up in small towns will recognize something of their lives in Grandma's small Illinois town where everyone knows everyone's business--"sometimes before it happens." Grandma herself is an unforgettable character. Crotchety and aloof from the rest of the town, shunned by most of her neighbors (until they need her help), Grandma gets the best of snobby society women, out-of-town interlopers, Halloween pranksters & theives, and school bullies b ...more
Westminster Library
Don’t let the juvenile designation fool you, this is a book anyone can enjoy. Granny Mazur’s grandkids soon learn that there is a lot more to her than her grouchy exterior. She doesn’t suffer fools or snobs lightly and has a great many tricks up her sleeves. She outwits both the rowdy neighborhood kids and condescending adults and you will enjoy every minute. My husband and I both laughed our way through this book and its sequel: A Year Down Yonder.

Find A Long Way From Chicago at the Westminster
Marie
Feb 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Richard Peck’s, A Long Way from Chicago is the first book in the trilogy about larger than life character Grandma Dowdel and her grandchildren, Joey and Mary Alice. (The second is A Year Down Yonder and the last is A Season Of Gifts.) Joey and Mary Alice are sent from Chicago to spend the summer each year with their Grandma Dowdel in rural Illinois. The book immediately grabs the reader’s attention: “You wouldn’t think we needed to leave Chicago to see a dead body. We were growing up in there ba ...more
george
Aug 20, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, read-in-2008
Joey and Mary Alice's Grandma ain't your sweet little granny. She's a tough old woman who makes her own soap, not afraid to use a shotgun, illegally traps fish and steals boats. She's outrageous and moody; gruff and caring. Joey and Mary Alice visit her for a week each summer in the country--a far cry from their regular life in Chicago. At first the siblings drag their feet to Grandma's, but after a few summers they can't wait to go and see what antics Grandma will get in to next.

Loved this! Gra
Sandy
Laugh-out-loud hilarious! Good for what ails you! Onward to the second in the series . . .
Emma Jane
Feb 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I basically just LOVE Richard Peck.
Seema Rao
Depression-era Illinois is full of adventure for a little boy and his sister. Full of low-key, atmospheric 30's Americana.
Aj Sterkel
This was a forced read for me. I needed a middlegrade book with an unusual narrative structure for a lecture I’m working on, and my mentor suggested this one. I had never heard of it before. Honestly, I groaned when I looked it up online because I have a love/hate relationship with middlegrade fiction. Some of it is brilliant, but a lot of it is too silly for my adult brain. The cover of this book looks juvenile. The synopsis sounds extremely juvenile. I braced myself to grit my teeth and plow t ...more
Brooke H
Dec 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Joe and Mary Alice leave Chicago every summer to visit their grandma in her little Illinois town. Whenever they visit their grandmother, she made it a fun time. Joe and Mary Alice didn't really notice that after they had their summer visit, they learned good traits as a person and the reader would learn more of how family is important and being a great person to family and other people. If looking for a book to have laugh or learn about family and good traits to have as a person, I would pick up ...more
Nana S.
Recently I have read a book titled A Long Way From Chicago by Richard Peck. The book takes place in the 1930's during the time of the great depression when siblings Joey and Mary Alice spend a week at their grandma's house every summer for nine summers. They thought spending a week at their grandma's house in her sleepy town might be boring. But it turns out that grandma's town is a lot less sleepy than Joey and Mary Alice thought. They help their grandma do everything from trespassing, to seein ...more
Amy
Here’s one from an all-time favorite author of mine. Do you happen to have a hilarious grandma? Or do you even know a really funny old lady? If so, you will adore this book.

Set in the 1930s, A Long Way from Chicago recount the summers Joey and Mary Alice spend with Grandma Dowdel. She’s “old as the hills” , “tough as an old boot”, and so large she makes her quirky town look tiny. She’s known for stretching the truth, manipulating sleazy and snobbish people, and pulling all sorts of stunts you ca
Amy
Oct 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ahhhh! This was so good! I chose it because I wanted something that both Jake and I would enjoy for a quick road trip (Hence, "The Treasure Map of Boys" will have to wait).

It was perfect. Funny at times that we both burst out laughing. Awesome sense of place and time, wonderful characters, entertaining stories. We both so thoroughly enjoyed it. I must admit, I dozed off towards the end of the book. So I asked Jake to tell me the ending. As he explained the scene, I got all teary-eyed right there
Nancy
Nov 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Author Richard Peck started this novel as a short story, using his story "Shotgun Cheatham's Last Night Above Ground" as the first chapter when he discovered that his main character Grandma Dowdel couldn't be contained to just one story. The narrative structure is built around grandchildren Joey and Mary Alice visiting their Grandmother in rural Illinois every summer. Growing up in Chicago, the two siblings have a lot to learn about small town living, and their crusty Grandmother's old fashioned ...more
Susan Katz
The hero of this book remarks of his grandmother early on: "What little we knew about grown-ups didn't seem to cover Grandma." I'm not sure what anybody knows about anybody would cover Grandma Dowdle. "Larger than life" isn't big enough to describe her. Unpredictable, cantankerous, sly, (and secretly, begrudgingly tender-hearted), she's an entertaining person to spend a summer vacation (or a book) with. And when, as often happens in these stories, "all the laws of civilization has broke down," s ...more
Gregg
Feb 12, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
You've gotta love Grandma Dowdel. For instance, one morning the banker's prissy wife unexpectedly shows up on Grandma Dowdel's back porch. "Oh, Mrs. Dowdel," she said through screen wire, "you see before you a woman at the end of her rope." "I wish," Grandma mumbled.

It's that kind of forthright wit that makes Grandma Dowdel a gem. She's feisty, cantankerous,and even at times a bit shady, but underneath that rough exterior beats a heart of gold. Just don't let her hear you say that.
Jan C
I found this entertaining little ditty in my el station. I was surprised at what an enjoyable little book this was. There are these two kids who escape Chicago every year and go and visit their granny. Certainly nothing like my granny. Well, they were both tough old birds, so maybe they weren't all that different after all.
Alicia
One of my absolute favourite books! The humour is exceptional and Grandma Dowdel is just one of a kind. While I love each chapter (each chapter is the week at Grandma’s farm that year), the last one (year 1942) is my favourite- THAT’S how you end a story! 5++ stars!
Annet
Apr 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
This book is so funny, had me laughing, grinning, chuckling. A great feel good book, which was well timed after an 'apocalyptic read'. I just love grandma and her tricks. Because of this, a fat five star rating!
Piyali
Loved this book. Grandma Dowdel rocks!!
Kathy
Aug 24, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's probably been 3 years since I read this book. A quick fun childrens book.
Christopher
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: newbery-books
The old saying "Less is more" certainly applies to the Newbery-winning books of 1999. There were only two--Holes and A Long Way from Chicago--but both were fantastic. I can see how either book could win the top prize; Holes is a bit scatterbrained but innovative and A Long Way from Chicago (which this review discusses) is traditionally structured but incredibly funny.

This book does so many things well, but its colorful characters especially shine. Grandma Dowdel is one of the best children's lit
Abe Smith
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-to-kids
It takes a little more to get me to laugh than the average person but this author and the grandma in the book are classic and had me laughing pretty good with every chapter. A definite 5 star for me. I can't wait to read book #2.

I read this to my two kids--a 12 year old daughter and 9 year old boy. They didn't seem to pick up the humor like I did or most adults would. They liked it, but some of the best parts were over their heads. I felt the same way about CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN; a better book fo
Pam
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started this laugh-out-loud humorous book with my grandson but wasn't able to finish it with him. I had to finish it by myself and enjoyed it almost as much as when I was reading it with him. It is great for grandmothers of today to read about grandmothers of yesteryear with our grandchildren. Great summer read.
Teresa Hoard
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed reading this. It was a very short book from way back in the day. (around Dillinger days) It talked a little about things i could connect with being from Chicago. It also reminded me very much of my summer visits to my Grandma's house in Arkansas. I would recommend to anyone for a quick read.
Deb
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Delightful book. I'm over half way through the sequel already. It's funny, interesting, and has great characters-- particularly Grandma Dowdel. I don't know if people like her exist anymore. This easily deserves its Newberry. What a pleasant relief from the other types of books I've been reading lately.
  • The Voice That Challenged a Nation: Marian Anderson and the Struggle for Equal Rights
  • Belle Prater's Boy
  • Penny from Heaven
  • 26 Fairmount Avenue (26 Fairmount Avenue, #1)
  • The Mostly True Adventures of Homer P. Figg
  • Show Way
  • Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy
  • Lily's Crossing
  • Everything on a Waffle (Coal Harbour #1)
  • What Jamie Saw
  • The Great Fire
  • The Surrender Tree: Poems of Cuba's Struggle for Freedom
  • The Dark-Thirty: Southern Tales of the Supernatural
  • A Fine White Dust
  • Joey Pigza Loses Control (Joey Pigza, #2)
  • Hattie Big Sky (Hattie, #1)
  • The Seven Wonders of Sassafras Springs
  • Elijah of Buxton
Richard Peck was an American novelist known for his prolific contributions to modern young adult literature. He was awarded the Newbery Medal in 2001 for his novel A Year Down Yonder. For his cumulative contribution to young-adult literature, he received the Margaret A. Edwards Award from the American Library Association in 1990.

More about Richard Peck

A Long Way from Chicago (3 books)
  • A Year Down Yonder (A Long Way from Chicago, #2)
  • A Season of Gifts (A Long Way from Chicago, #3)

Young Adult Deals

• Beneath the Shine
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Greensleeves
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Keeping You a Secret
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Some Fine Day
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Amid Stars and Darkness (The Xenith Trilogy #1)
  • Otherkin
  • The Odds of Loving Grover Cleveland
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
“The years went by, and Mary Alice and I grew up, Slower than we wanted to, faster than we realized.” 30 likes
“Never trust an ugly woman. She's got a grudge against the world,' said Grandma who was no oil painting herself.” 22 likes