Start by marking “Enjoying God: Experience the power and love of God in everyday life” as Want to Read:
Enjoying God: Experience the power and love of God in everyday life

Enjoying God: Experience the power and love of God in everyday life

We believe in God, we serve God, we love God – but do we ENJOY God as much as we can? Does our head knowledge translate into affection of the heart? Do we have a meaningful relationship with someone we can’t see? Do we feel excited about God every day, in every context?

Tim Chester shows us how to relate to each of the three Persons of the Trinity, and what this look like i
Published September 1st 2018 by The Good Book Company

To ask other readers questions about Enjoying God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Enjoying God

Start your review of Enjoying God: Experience the power and love of God in everyday life
Matty Lavelle
May 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Definitely one of the best books I've read in a while! A must read for any Christian wanting to enjoy their God more. It particularly helped me to relate personally to God knowing that He is three persons and taught to appreciate the Spirit much more. Tim Chester takes such amazingly deep truths and expresses them in an incredibly accessible way! ...more
Melanie Mead
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is one of the best two books I've read all year (the other one was Union with Christ by Rankin Wilbourne), well maybe one of the best two books I've read for a very long time. I had it recommended to me awhile back, then saw it on a summer camp book table. I was tempted to buy it but remarked to a pastor friend that I had a pile of books by my bed that I'm currently reading. He quipped, "Put it on the top of the pile." So I would say the same to you! I've read a LOT of books on the Chr ...more
David Marino
I absolutely loved this book. Definitely one of the best books I have ever read. I enjoyed this book so much that I am unsure what to write in a review because my mind is going in so many directions. Here are a few directions it went:

-Chester is a great writer and communicator. He speaks in plain language but is not boring.

-This book goes theologically deep and is wide in application.

-This book gave me joy, hope, a love for God and greater confidence in Christ.

-opened my eyes more to the wonde
Bill
May 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a brilliant book. An intensely practical, everyday theology of union and communion with God in three Persons. Highly recommended.

-------------------------

My extended notes and quotes:

Chapter One - More

Two principles (15):
1. God is known through the three Persons, so we relate to the Father, the Son and the Spirit.
2. Our unity with God in Christ is the basis of our community with God in experience.

—> We cannot know God, but we can know the Persons of God, and relate to each of them distinct
Chris Harrod
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a joy it was to read this book. To read of our communion and union with Christ, the latter of which cannot change and the former that we should strive to grow deeper in.

Tim Chester does a great job of both presenting how we can enjoy God and emphasizing the importance of understanding the God that we ought to enjoy.

I have always longed to enjoy a relationship with God. Craved it. Reading this taught me that I can. I don't have to make it to a certain level of Christianity to do so. In eac
Sharon Hall
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderful, heart-warming, practically helpful read!! One I shall return to.
Erin
Mar 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
‘ .. we never lose God. Nothing can separate us from his love. When other things are stripped away, we’re always left with God, and he is enough.’
Phil Butcher
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book to read slowly and savour. The practical suggestions of how to respond really help too. It warned my heart and grew my love for Father, Son & Holy Spirit.
Ryan Hawkins
Thoroughly enjoyable. I slowly ate this up because each chapter was like a delicious meal, and at the end of each chapter he had extremely practical “Action” steps to take.

The book is full of grace, clarity, illustrations, and practical advice. I would say that none of it was “new” to me (meaning, no totally new theological ideas), but much of it was said in a creative, inspiring way. He’s a great writer, simple to understand, and he really pushes you to try to commune more with the Triune God.

O
Mark Durrell
Apr 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a profound reminder of something that's so easily forgotten - God wants us to enjoy Him!

I had this book in my Kindle immediately after its release but only started reading it a few days ago. I found the idea of communicating with all three Persons of the Trinity something I was never taught in my church experience. And so, it is liberating to know that God invites us to a living and daily conversation with Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
Scott
Jul 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*3.75*
Good encouragement in your walk with the triune God. It definitely breaks things down with a slightly different perspective. That being said, the author says he wants to get away from “spiritual disciplines”, but then the end of each chapter ends up being: “How did you get along with the thing I said to do last week?” I didn’t mind the challenges, but they are definitely spiritual disciplines.
LMS
Oct 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book about finding joy in God by attuning to His love in the world around you, written especially for the “ordinary” or busy Christian. I read this as a book study week-to-week, which was perfect as it’s meant for that, with action items and discussion questions laid out for each week. Very British and sentences often plain and simplistic, easy reading. Recommend as a book study.
Michael Willis
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A modern take on John Owen's classic 'Communion with God'. Warmly pastoral, it is so full of good counsel that I felt I needed to re-read it from cover to cover once I'd finished. Very practical and easy to follow. And it whets the appetite for helping the reader to enjoy God more and more. ...more
Peter Richardson
This was an excellent read. Plenty of great practical advice about how to experience joy through our union to God. What was so great though was the way it was biblical grounded throughout. Will certainly need to re-read at some point.
Gareth Heuer
May 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
The most useful or valuable teaching from this book is how it frames our understanding of enjoying God in trinitarian terms. Each member of the Trinity gives us reason to experience and enjoy God in particular ways.
Kirk Barrett
Feb 15, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own
I found this an easy to read, encouraging and some times challenging book that looks at what it means to have a relationship with God in three persons and how this works itself out relationally in our daily life.
Plenty to try and keep front of mind and practice every day.
Well worth the read and I imagine I will come back an read it again.
Tyler Eason
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chester does a wonderful job in encouraging Christians to enjoy God by relating to each person of the Trinity through the means of communion God has given us.
Daniel
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Deserves 6 stars

This book is a great, worked example of preaching the gospel to yourself. But more than this, it’s not introspective as Chester rightly reflects on the essential place of church in the Christian life.
Jonathan Sussex
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian
This was a great book. It had some very helpful applications at the end of each chapter. I highly recommend reading it
Peter Yock
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really great read. Easy. Deep. Refreshing. Biblical. Theological. Gospel-centred. Practical, real, rubber-hits-the-Road application. I’ll be recommending this to many.
Chola Mukanga
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
I have enjoyed reading Tim Chester's Enjoying God. It is helpful because it encourages to go beyond intellectual knowledge of God and love and enjoy Him. Tim wants us to like God. All true followers of Jesus would say they love God, but are we fond of God? Is your spiritual instinct to think well of God and His intentions for your life? Tim believes the key to enjoying God is give ourselves to dance to Him n a trinitarian fashion, Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

I have read a number of Tim Chester b
J
Feb 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although I agree with another reviewer who remarked that much of the content of this book has been explored more deeply by Chester in his earlier works (sometimes a whole book for a chapter of what's here), it's still a wonderful read. Like any 'devotional' book it is not designed to be wolfed down, but read slowly. And it's not heavy at all, but represents a successful attempt to bring the Word, communion with God, themes of Puritan spirituality and modern life together in plain English. A non- ...more
Emmeline
Jun 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
so so good and helpful!
really loved how he explained the idea of relating to different members of the trinity.
Robert Luff
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
In this book, Tim Chester approaches the dual topic of union and communion with God from a truly Trinitarian perspective. The title is accurate -- he does want to help us enjoy God as He is, and to derive joy from relating to Him. But Chester is careful to say that seeking God simply out of a self-centered desire for joy is not honoring to God, and that it's really not possible. Self-centered searches for joy do not result in joy, regardless of how they are pursued. Instead, Chester focuses on l ...more
Robyn
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faith-books
I highly recommend this book. It was a really spirit-lifting read that opened my eyes to how much more I can enjoy God daily and how present He really is in day-to-day life. It changed my outlook and it changed the way I look at everything around me. I have more joy in my days and when I don’t, I have the reminder - I remember His presence and beauty in the bird songs every morning or the sunset when I walk the dogs. This book enlightens, teaches and inspires. I learnt more about God and the imp ...more
Naomi
Aug 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is very easy to read, you don’t need to read it with a dictionary in hand (which i love). Yet it is still filled with scripture, everything is supported by verses and it’s very encouraging. Possibly my favourite part of the book is the way it is written. Each chapter has the body of writing, explanation, scripture and quotes from theologians. The body is then followed by an Action statement for you to do in the week following. We also get to follow two characters Mike and Emma as they go thro ...more
Lydia Anvar
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't recommend this book enough! Chester's writing is engaging, thoughtful, and backed up by Scripture and trusted theologians. He writes about practical ways that Christians can take advantage of our communion with God—how we can *enjoy* and lean into His presence through daily means of communion. This book is theological yet practical; it's definitely changed the way I view my relationship with God, and I feel encouraged to develop my relationship with the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spir ...more
David Mitchell
Mar 17, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is much to love about this very practical book.

I have only one niggling issue - and it is early in the book. Chester proposes a pattern of praying in turn to God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit. While Chester is encouraging and has his heart in the right place, I cannot bring myself to pray to the Holy Spirit due to Romans 8:26.

Late in the book I had a mischievous chuckle to myself. In the current age a secular psychiatrist would diagnose John with some kind of mania and medicate: "The apostle
Natalie Herr
Apr 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am deeply thankful for Tim Chester’s writing. He is clear and practical, warm and human and helpful. This book is a helpful companion to us in our desires to enjoy more of God in every day life. I would put this beside Rankin Wilbourne’s Union With Christ as a book that helps me understand how being united with Christ changes everything — down to the very simplest/“unremarkable” moments. God is with me in every moment and I have the opportunity to enjoy Him in all things. This book walks throu ...more
Rohan
Mar 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think I would have enjoyed this book more if I was less stuck in sin? It just hit me hard and uncomfortably, showing me how much I wasn't enjoying God. But so so good to hear.

And like a father uncomfortably disciplining his child but in a loving way, that's the tone Tim Chester takes. So I almost want to read it again (or just the last sections of each chapter which are the summaries).

I love his main argument that: Our union with God in Christ (his never changing gift) is the basis for our c
« previous 1 3 next »

• Gentle and Lowly: The Heart of Christ for Sinners and Sufferers
  • Plugged In: Connecting Your Faith with Everything You Watch, Read, and Play
  • Zeal Without Burnout: Seven Keys to a Lifelong Ministry of Sustainable Sacrifice
  • Where is God in a Coronavirus World?
  • Finding the Right Hills to Die on: The Case for Theological Triage
  • Before You Open Your Bible: Nine Heart Postures For Approaching God's Word
  • 7 Myths about Singleness
  • The Book Your Pastor Wishes You Would Read: But Is Too Embarrassed to Ask
  • Dark Clouds, Deep Mercy: Discovering the Grace of Lament
  • Thoughts for Young Men
  • The Hole in Our Holiness: Filling the Gap between Gospel Passion and the Pursuit of Godliness
  • Side by Side: Walking with Others in Wisdom and Love
  • God's Big Picture: Tracing the Story-Line of the Bible
  • Lead: 12 Gospel Principles for Leadership in the Church
  • Confronting Christianity: 12 Hard Questions for the World's Largest Religion
  • Untangling Emotions: God's Gift of Emotions
  • The Ten Commandments: What They Mean, Why They Matter, and Why We Should Obey Them
  • True Friendship
Dr Tim Chester is involved in The Crowded House, a church planting initiative in Sheffield, UK. He was previously Research & Policy Director for Tearfund UK, and has been published widely on prayer, mission, social issues and theology. He is married to Helen and has two daughters.

News & Interviews

“relationship with God and find joy in him, the more our evangelism will be enthusiastic and infectious. It will stop being an awkward exercise imposed on conversation as an act of duty. Instead, as an overflow of full hearts, we will speak enthusiastically of the One we love. Instead of being like nearly empty toothpaste tubes, we’ll become champagne bottles, waiting to explode, fizzing and bubbling over.” 0 likes
“As I’ve reflected on what it means to enjoy God, I think this is the number one reason I don’t enjoy God more than I do: not enough repentance. The problem is not that I sin. Sin itself doesn’t keep us from God because God is gracious and he has provided a means of reconciliation through the work of his Son. So sin itself doesn’t prevent us enjoying God. The problem is either: I keep my distance from God because I’m choosing sin over God, or I keep my distance from God because I feel ashamed.” 0 likes