Start by marking “Enjoying God: Experience the power and love of God in everyday life” as Want to Read:
Enjoying God: Experience the power and love of God in everyday life

Enjoying God: Experience the power and love of God in everyday life

We believe in God, we serve God, we love God – but do we ENJOY God as much as we can? Does our head knowledge translate into affection of the heart? Do we have a meaningful relationship with someone we can’t see? Do we feel excited about God every day, in every context?

Tim Chester shows us how to relate to each of the three Persons of the Trinity, and what this look like i
Published September 1st 2018 by The Good Book Company

To ask other readers questions about Enjoying God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Enjoying God

Start your review of Enjoying God: Experience the power and love of God in everyday life
Matty Lavelle
May 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Definitely one of the best books I've read in a while! A must read for any Christian wanting to enjoy their God more. It particularly helped me to relate personally to God knowing that He is three persons and taught to appreciate the Spirit much more. Tim Chester takes such amazingly deep truths and expresses them in an incredibly accessible way!
Melanie Mead
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is one of the best two books I've read all year (the other one was Union with Christ by Rankin Wilbourne), well maybe one of the best two books I've read for a very long time. I had it recommended to me awhile back, then saw it on a summer camp book table. I was tempted to buy it but remarked to a pastor friend that I had a pile of books by my bed that I'm currently reading. He quipped, "Put it on the top of the pile." So I would say the same to you! I've read a LOT of books on the Chr ...more
David Marino
I absolutely loved this book. Definitely one of the best books I have ever read. I enjoyed this book so much that I am unsure what to write in a review because my mind is going in so many directions. Here are a few directions it went:

-Chester is a great writer and communicator. He speaks in plain language but is not boring.

-This book goes theologically deep and is wide in application.

-This book gave me joy, hope, a love for God and greater confidence in Christ.

-opened my eyes more to the wonde
Chris Harrod
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a joy it was to read this book. To read of our communion and union with Christ, the latter of which cannot change and the former that we should strive to grow deeper in.

Tim Chester does a great job of both presenting how we can enjoy God and emphasizing the importance of understanding the God that we ought to enjoy.

I have always longed to enjoy a relationship with God. Craved it. Reading this taught me that I can. I don't have to make it to a certain level of Christianity to do so. In eac
Bill
May 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a brilliant book. An intensely practical, everyday theology of union and communion with God in three Persons. Highly recommended.

-------------------------

My extended notes and quotes:

Chapter One - More

Two principles (15):
1. God is known through the three Persons, so we relate to the Father, the Son and the Spirit.
2. Our unity with God in Christ is the basis of our community with God in experience.

—> We cannot know God, but we can know the Persons of God, and relate to each of them distinct
Sharon Hall
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderful, heart-warming, practically helpful read!! One I shall return to.
Erin
Mar 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
‘ .. we never lose God. Nothing can separate us from his love. When other things are stripped away, we’re always left with God, and he is enough.’
Phil Butcher
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book to read slowly and savour. The practical suggestions of how to respond really help too. It warned my heart and grew my love for Father, Son & Holy Spirit. ...more
Ryan Hawkins
Thoroughly enjoyable. I slowly ate this up because each chapter was like a delicious meal, and at the end of each chapter he had extremely practical “Action” steps to take.

The book is full of grace, clarity, illustrations, and practical advice. I would say that none of it was “new” to me (meaning, no totally new theological ideas), but much of it was said in a creative, inspiring way. He’s a great writer, simple to understand, and he really pushes you to try to commune more with the Triune God.

O
Mark Durrell
Apr 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a profound reminder of something that's so easily forgotten - God wants us to enjoy Him!

I had this book in my Kindle immediately after its release but only started reading it a few days ago. I found the idea of communicating with all three Persons of the Trinity something I was never taught in my church experience. And so, it is liberating to know that God invites us to a living and daily conversation with Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
Scott
Jul 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*3.75*
Good encouragement in your walk with the triune God. It definitely breaks things down with a slightly different perspective. That being said, the author says he wants to get away from “spiritual disciplines”, but then the end of each chapter ends up being: “How did you get along with the thing I said to do last week?” I didn’t mind the challenges, but they are definitely spiritual disciplines.
Michael Willis
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A modern take on John Owen's classic 'Communion with God'. Warmly pastoral, it is so full of good counsel that I felt I needed to re-read it from cover to cover once I'd finished. Very practical and easy to follow. And it whets the appetite for helping the reader to enjoy God more and more.
Peter Richardson
This was an excellent read. Plenty of great practical advice about how to experience joy through our union to God. What was so great though was the way it was biblical grounded throughout. Will certainly need to re-read at some point.
Gareth Heuer
May 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
The most useful or valuable teaching from this book is how it frames our understanding of enjoying God in trinitarian terms. Each member of the Trinity gives us reason to experience and enjoy God in particular ways.
Tyler Eason
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chester does a wonderful job in encouraging Christians to enjoy God by relating to each person of the Trinity through the means of communion God has given us.
Daniel
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Deserves 6 stars

This book is a great, worked example of preaching the gospel to yourself. But more than this, it’s not introspective as Chester rightly reflects on the essential place of church in the Christian life.
Jonathan Sussex
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian
This was a great book. It had some very helpful applications at the end of each chapter. I highly recommend reading it
Peter Yock
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really great read. Easy. Deep. Refreshing. Biblical. Theological. Gospel-centred. Practical, real, rubber-hits-the-Road application. I’ll be recommending this to many.
Chola Mukanga
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
I have enjoyed reading Tim Chester's Enjoying God. It is helpful because it encourages to go beyond intellectual knowledge of God and love and enjoy Him. Tim wants us to like God. All true followers of Jesus would say they love God, but are we fond of God? Is your spiritual instinct to think well of God and His intentions for your life? Tim believes the key to enjoying God is give ourselves to dance to Him n a trinitarian fashion, Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

I have read a number of Tim Chester b
J
Feb 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although I agree with another reviewer who remarked that much of the content of this book has been explored more deeply by Chester in his earlier works (sometimes a whole book for a chapter of what's here), it's still a wonderful read. Like any 'devotional' book it is not designed to be wolfed down, but read slowly. And it's not heavy at all, but represents a successful attempt to bring the Word, communion with God, themes of Puritan spirituality and modern life together in plain English. A non- ...more
Robert Luff
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
In this book, Tim Chester approaches the dual topic of union and communion with God from a truly Trinitarian perspective. The title is accurate -- he does want to help us enjoy God as He is, and to derive joy from relating to Him. But Chester is careful to say that seeking God simply out of a self-centered desire for joy is not honoring to God, and that it's really not possible. Self-centered searches for joy do not result in joy, regardless of how they are pursued. Instead, Chester focuses on l ...more
Robyn
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: faith-books
I highly recommend this book. It was a really spirit-lifting read that opened my eyes to how much more I can enjoy God daily and how present He really is in day-to-day life. It changed my outlook and it changed the way I look at everything around me. I have more joy in my days and when I don’t, I have the reminder - I remember His presence and beauty in the bird songs every morning or the sunset when I walk the dogs. This book enlightens, teaches and inspires. I learnt more about God and the imp ...more
Lydia Anvar
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't recommend this book enough! Chester's writing is engaging, thoughtful, and backed up by Scripture and trusted theologians. He writes about practical ways that Christians can take advantage of our communion with God—how we can *enjoy* and lean into His presence through daily means of communion. This book is theological yet practical; it's definitely changed the way I view my relationship with God, and I feel encouraged to develop my relationship with the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spir ...more
Rohan
Mar 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think I would have enjoyed this book more if I was less stuck in sin? It just hit me hard and uncomfortably, showing me how much I wasn't enjoying God. But so so good to hear.

And like a father uncomfortably disciplining his child but in a loving way, that's the tone Tim Chester takes. So I almost want to read it again (or just the last sections of each chapter which are the summaries).

I love his main argument that: Our union with God in Christ (his never changing gift) is the basis for our c
Thomas Creedy
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was sent this book to review by the wonderful folk at The Good Book Company, who have published some great stuff recently, and a friend there suggested that I might enjoy Chester’s Enjoying God. Having loved Tim’s recent books including the brilliant Who On Earth is the Holy Spirit? and his contributions to thinks like Keswick’s Captivated, I was excited to read this book. Gladly, I can report that I found this book to be good for a number of reasons.

David Meiklejohn
May 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How do you get joy in the Christian life? Do you feel lacking in joy? Does life seem a drudge?
Tim Chester looks at the joy we can find in the relationship we have with the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Each chapter looks at one aspect of Christian life: prayer, hardship, nature, etc. and discusses how we can find joy in each of these situations.
Very practical writing. Each chapter develops a little homely scene with a married couple and each chapter suggests some steps to take over the following
Liam Chilton
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in a week. I’d recommend reading much slower, perhaps a chapter per week.

Tim Chester wonderfully teaches how to enjoy the gift of relationship with the Triune God, based unequivocally on God’s kindness in uniting us to Christ. There are a plethora of practical examples worth reflecting upon.

I come away from reading this book in awe of the myriad ways that God is intimately involved in my life for my good!
Peter Grier
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For a warm reminder why doctrine that can often be taught cold, like the Trinity, is actually good news for us, and for those around us.

This is far warmer than other Tim Chester books, and also I think will do a far better job of bridging the potential divide between charismatic and conservative evangelical, in a Christian scene that misunderstands each other.

What a joy, no matter how old of a Christian you are - buy it, experience God and enjoy Him forever.
Wes Van Fleet
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an incredible book that will increase your delight in the Father, Son, and Spirit. Quoting extensively from John Owen’s Communion with God, Chester does a fantastic job relaying 1) Our relationship with the Trinity, and 2) Our communion with God because of our union with Christ. If you are looking for a book to increase your affections for God again, I highly recommend this book. My joy increased greatly!
Amy Morgan
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really delightful little book exploring how the theological truth of the Trinity empowers both our union and communion with God. Chester’s book is not new information (which is good, because that would probably be heresy), but a fresh perspective to help stimulate us to enjoy our relationship with the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit in every moment.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Plugged In: Connecting Your Faith with Everything You Watch, Read, and Play
  • Before You Open Your Bible: Nine Heart Postures For Approaching God's Word
  • 7 Myths about Singleness
  • The Book Your Pastor Wishes You Would Read: But Is Too Embarrassed to Ask
  • Where is God in a Coronavirus World?
  • Honest Evangelism: How to talk about Jesus even when it's tough (Live Different)
  • Is this it? The Difference Jesus Makes to that ‘Where-is-my-life-going-I-hate-my-job-I-have-no-real-friends-Is-God-even-here-Will-I-end-up-alone-I-wish-I-was-back-at-school-Will-this-ever-feel-like-home-Am-I-failing-at-life’ Feeling
  • True Friendship
  • The Hole in Our Holiness: Filling the Gap between Gospel Passion and the Pursuit of Godliness
  • Gentle and Lowly: The Heart of Christ for Sinners and Sufferers
  • Competing Spectacles: Treasuring Christ in the Media Age
  • Confronting Christianity: 12 Hard Questions for the World's Largest Religion
  • Have No Fear
  • Coronavirus and Christ
  • Side by Side: Walking with Others in Wisdom and Love
  • An Open Door: A True Story of Courage in Congo
  • On the Road with Saint Augustine: A Real-World Spirituality for Restless Hearts
  • Identity Theft: Reclaiming the Truth of our Identity in Christ
Dr Tim Chester is involved in The Crowded House, a church planting initiative in Sheffield, UK. He was previously Research & Policy Director for Tearfund UK, and has been published widely on prayer, mission, social issues and theology. He is married to Helen and has two daughters. ...more

News & Interviews

“As I’ve reflected on what it means to enjoy God, I think this is the number one reason I don’t enjoy God more than I do: not enough repentance. The problem is not that I sin. Sin itself doesn’t keep us from God because God is gracious and he has provided a means of reconciliation through the work of his Son. So sin itself doesn’t prevent us enjoying God. The problem is either: I keep my distance from God because I’m choosing sin over God, or I keep my distance from God because I feel ashamed.” 0 likes
“All the things we enjoy, says John Calvin, are “ladders by which we may ascend nearer to God”. “God,” he says, “by his benefits, gently attracts us to himself, giving us a taste of his fatherly sweetness”. But Calvin also warns, “There is nothing into which we more easily fall than into a forgetfulness of him, especially when we enjoy peace and comfort”.” 0 likes