Start by marking “Enjoying God: Experience the power and love of God in everyday life” as Want to Read:
Enjoying God: Experience the power and love of God in everyday life

Enjoying God: Experience the power and love of God in everyday life

We believe in God, we serve God, we love God – but do we ENJOY God as much as we can? Does our head knowledge translate into affection of the heart? Do we have a meaningful relationship with someone we can’t see? Do we feel excited about God every day, in every context?

Tim Chester shows us how to relate to each of the three Persons of the Trinity, and what this look like i
Published September 1st 2018 by The Good Book Company

To ask other readers questions about Enjoying God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Enjoying God

Start your review of Enjoying God: Experience the power and love of God in everyday life
Glenna
Jan 23, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. I finished it feeling equipped to not only enjoy God more in my daily living (Chester gives practical ways to do this!) but to look for the myriad ways He has expressed His love to me. The chapter on repentance and sin was so good, as was the one on fellowship within the church. If you enjoyed Dane Ortlund's book, Gentle & Lowly, you might also enjoy this book, written a few years prior to Ortlund's. They're really different books but covering a similar topic. (And I loved the ...more
Matty Lavelle
May 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Definitely one of the best books I've read in a while! A must read for any Christian wanting to enjoy their God more. It particularly helped me to relate personally to God knowing that He is three persons and taught to appreciate the Spirit much more. Tim Chester takes such amazingly deep truths and expresses them in an incredibly accessible way! ...more
Melanie Mead
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is one of the best two books I've read all year (the other one was Union with Christ by Rankin Wilbourne), well maybe one of the best two books I've read for a very long time. I had it recommended to me awhile back, then saw it on a summer camp book table. I was tempted to buy it but remarked to a pastor friend that I had a pile of books by my bed that I'm currently reading. He quipped, "Put it on the top of the pile." So I would say the same to you! I've read a LOT of books on the Chr ...more
David
I absolutely loved this book. Definitely one of the best books I have ever read. I enjoyed this book so much that I am unsure what to write in a review because my mind is going in so many directions. Here are a few directions it went:

-Chester is a great writer and communicator. He speaks in plain language but is not boring.

-This book goes theologically deep and is wide in application.

-This book gave me joy, hope, a love for God and greater confidence in Christ.

-opened my eyes more to the wonde
Bill
May 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a brilliant book. An intensely practical, everyday theology of union and communion with God in three Persons. Highly recommended.

-------------------------

My extended notes and quotes:

Chapter One - More

Two principles (15):
1. God is known through the three Persons, so we relate to the Father, the Son and the Spirit.
2. Our unity with God in Christ is the basis of our community with God in experience.

—> We cannot know God, but we can know the Persons of God, and relate to each of them distinct
Chris Harrod
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a joy it was to read this book. To read of our communion and union with Christ, the latter of which cannot change and the former that we should strive to grow deeper in.

Tim Chester does a great job of both presenting how we can enjoy God and emphasizing the importance of understanding the God that we ought to enjoy.

I have always longed to enjoy a relationship with God. Craved it. Reading this taught me that I can. I don't have to make it to a certain level of Christianity to do so. In eac
Natalie Herr
Apr 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am deeply thankful for Tim Chester’s writing. He is clear and practical, warm and human and helpful. This book is a helpful companion to us in our desires to enjoy more of God in every day life. I would put this beside Rankin Wilbourne’s Union With Christ as a book that helps me understand how being united with Christ changes everything — down to the very simplest/“unremarkable” moments. God is with me in every moment and I have the opportunity to enjoy Him in all things. This book walks throu ...more
Sharon Hall
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderful, heart-warming, practically helpful read!! One I shall return to.
Erin
Mar 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
‘ .. we never lose God. Nothing can separate us from his love. When other things are stripped away, we’re always left with God, and he is enough.’
Rohan
Mar 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think I would have enjoyed this book more if I was less stuck in sin? It just hit me hard and uncomfortably, showing me how much I wasn't enjoying God. But so so good to hear.

And like a father uncomfortably disciplining his child but in a loving way, that's the tone Tim Chester takes. So I almost want to read it again (or just the last sections of each chapter which are the summaries).

I love his main argument that: Our union with God in Christ (his never changing gift) is the basis for our c
Phil Butcher
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book to read slowly and savour. The practical suggestions of how to respond really help too. It warned my heart and grew my love for Father, Son & Holy Spirit.
Peter Yock
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really great read. Easy. Deep. Refreshing. Biblical. Theological. Gospel-centred. Practical, real, rubber-hits-the-Road application. I’ll be recommending this to many.
Ryan Hawkins
Thoroughly enjoyable. I slowly ate this up because each chapter was like a delicious meal, and at the end of each chapter he had extremely practical “Action” steps to take.

The book is full of grace, clarity, illustrations, and practical advice. I would say that none of it was “new” to me (meaning, no totally new theological ideas), but much of it was said in a creative, inspiring way. He’s a great writer, simple to understand, and he really pushes you to try to commune more with the Triune God.

O
Mark Durrell
Apr 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a profound reminder of something that's so easily forgotten - God wants us to enjoy Him!

I had this book in my Kindle immediately after its release but only started reading it a few days ago. I found the idea of communicating with all three Persons of the Trinity something I was never taught in my church experience. And so, it is liberating to know that God invites us to a living and daily conversation with Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
Scott
Jul 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*3.75*
Good encouragement in your walk with the triune God. It definitely breaks things down with a slightly different perspective. That being said, the author says he wants to get away from “spiritual disciplines”, but then the end of each chapter ends up being: “How did you get along with the thing I said to do last week?” I didn’t mind the challenges, but they are definitely spiritual disciplines.
Ellie
Jan 20, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a valuable book about the interface of Christian doctrine and practice with the experience of enjoying God. Chester shows how God can be a source for joy in all of life's circumstances in this Bible-saturated volume and offers practical steps to pursue joy in the three persons of God. A first reading of this book offers renewed perspective; returning to it repeatedly and using it as a framework to pursue greater enjoyment of God would pay still greater dividends. ...more
LMS
Oct 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book about finding joy in God by attuning to His love in the world around you, written especially for the “ordinary” or busy Christian. I read this as a book study week-to-week, which was perfect as it’s meant for that, with action items and discussion questions laid out for each week. Very British and sentences often plain and simplistic, easy reading. Recommend as a book study.
Michael Willis
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A modern take on John Owen's classic 'Communion with God'. Warmly pastoral, it is so full of good counsel that I felt I needed to re-read it from cover to cover once I'd finished. Very practical and easy to follow. And it whets the appetite for helping the reader to enjoy God more and more. ...more
Peter Richardson
This was an excellent read. Plenty of great practical advice about how to experience joy through our union to God. What was so great though was the way it was biblical grounded throughout. Will certainly need to re-read at some point.
Gareth Heuer
May 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
The most useful or valuable teaching from this book is how it frames our understanding of enjoying God in trinitarian terms. Each member of the Trinity gives us reason to experience and enjoy God in particular ways.
Kirk Barrett
Feb 15, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own
I found this an easy to read, encouraging and some times challenging book that looks at what it means to have a relationship with God in three persons and how this works itself out relationally in our daily life.
Plenty to try and keep front of mind and practice every day.
Well worth the read and I imagine I will come back an read it again.
Timothy Goldsmith
Jul 24, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tim Chester wants us to experience more of God; more of God as he reveals himself, Father Son and Spirit, and Tim wants us to experience God in every aspect of our lives.
This short(ish... under 200 pages) book encourages us to look at the different experiences in our lives, our pleasures, hardships, failures, victories, and everything in between and to see God calling us to him in them.

I really enjoyed this book, particularly the challenge not to see "Christian disciplines" as things we do... I
Tyler Eason
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chester does a wonderful job in encouraging Christians to enjoy God by relating to each person of the Trinity through the means of communion God has given us.
Daniel
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Deserves 6 stars

This book is a great, worked example of preaching the gospel to yourself. But more than this, it’s not introspective as Chester rightly reflects on the essential place of church in the Christian life.
Jonathan Sussex
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian
This was a great book. It had some very helpful applications at the end of each chapter. I highly recommend reading it
Joel Davison
Mar 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Really really good book, probably best I’ve read so far this year so it is
Malvina
Nov 30, 2021 rated it really liked it
Very refreshing and easy to read. Brought up a lot of things I hadn't thought about. Might be revisiting this one in the future. ...more
Chola Mukanga
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
I have enjoyed reading Tim Chester's Enjoying God. It is helpful because it encourages to go beyond intellectual knowledge of God and love and enjoy Him. Tim wants us to like God. All true followers of Jesus would say they love God, but are we fond of God? Is your spiritual instinct to think well of God and His intentions for your life? Tim believes the key to enjoying God is give ourselves to dance to Him n a trinitarian fashion, Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

I have read a number of Tim Chester b
J
Feb 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although I agree with another reviewer who remarked that much of the content of this book has been explored more deeply by Chester in his earlier works (sometimes a whole book for a chapter of what's here), it's still a wonderful read. Like any 'devotional' book it is not designed to be wolfed down, but read slowly. And it's not heavy at all, but represents a successful attempt to bring the Word, communion with God, themes of Puritan spirituality and modern life together in plain English. A non- ...more
Emmeline
Jun 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
so so good and helpful!
really loved how he explained the idea of relating to different members of the trinity.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Deeper: Real Change for Real Sinners (Union)
  • Gentle and Lowly: The Heart of Christ for Sinners and Sufferers
  • The Hole in Our Holiness: Filling the Gap between Gospel Passion and the Pursuit of Godliness
  • Zeal Without Burnout: Seven Keys to a Lifelong Ministry of Sustainable Sacrifice
  • Being the Bad Guys
  • Is this it? The Difference Jesus Makes to that ‘Where-is-my-life-going-I-hate-my-job-I-have-no-real-friends-Is-God-even-here-Will-I-end-up-alone-I-wish-I-was-back-at-school-Will-this-ever-feel-like-home-Am-I-failing-at-life’ Feeling
  • Ten Words to Live by: Delighting in and Doing What God Commands
  • The Freedom of Self-Forgetfulness
  • Lead: 12 Gospel Principles for Leadership in the Church
  • Plugged In: Connecting Your Faith with Everything You Watch, Read, and Play
  • The Deeply Formed Life: Five Transformative Values to Root Us in the Way of Jesus
  • Rejoice and Tremble: The Surprising Good News of the Fear of the Lord
  • Side by Side: Walking with Others in Wisdom and Love
  • Where is God in a Coronavirus World?
  • Why Does God Care Who I Sleep With?
  • 7 Myths about Singleness
  • The Prodigal Prophet: Jonah and the Mystery of God's Mercy
  • God's Big Picture: Tracing the Story-Line of the Bible
Dr Tim Chester is involved in The Crowded House, a church planting initiative in Sheffield, UK. He was previously Research & Policy Director for Tearfund UK, and has been published widely on prayer, mission, social issues and theology. He is married to Helen and has two daughters.

News & Interviews

Judging by early reviews and general pop-culture impact, Emily St. John Mandel (Station Eleven) has hit a home run with her latest novel, Sea...
“relationship with God and find joy in him, the more our evangelism will be enthusiastic and infectious. It will stop being an awkward exercise imposed on conversation as an act of duty. Instead, as an overflow of full hearts, we will speak enthusiastically of the One we love. Instead of being like nearly empty toothpaste tubes, we’ll become champagne bottles, waiting to explode, fizzing and bubbling over.” 0 likes
“As I’ve reflected on what it means to enjoy God, I think this is the number one reason I don’t enjoy God more than I do: not enough repentance. The problem is not that I sin. Sin itself doesn’t keep us from God because God is gracious and he has provided a means of reconciliation through the work of his Son. So sin itself doesn’t prevent us enjoying God. The problem is either: I keep my distance from God because I’m choosing sin over God, or I keep my distance from God because I feel ashamed.” 0 likes