Start by marking “A Monk's Guide to a Clean House and Mind” as Want to Read:
A Monk's Guide to a Clean House and Mind

A Monk's Guide to a Clean House and Mind

Little known fact: Buddhist Monks are amazing at cleaning and tidying. In this one-of-a-kind guide to cleaning your home, Buddhist monk Shoukei Matsumoto reveals how to make your home as spotless as it is tranquil and peaceful.

For Buddhist monks cleaning well is a cardinal skill and, in A Monk's Guide to a Clean House and Mind, readers will discover their
Published December 24th 2018 by Tarcherperigee (first published December 15th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about A Monk's Guide to a Clean House and Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Monk's Guide to a Clean House and Mind

Start your review of A Monk's Guide to a Clean House and Mind
Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
Confession time: my house is an absolute mess.

It’s not dirty just, very, very messy. There are books everywhere. I used to organise them but I have long since run out of shelf room. Books pile up, they get shoved into corners and form giant stacks and then I can’t find the ones I want (though all the best ones get shelved, of course.)

I need to sort them out. So after reading this I found myself going online and buying four new bookshelves to display the rest of my books on. This monk argues
Sam Quixote
Oct 28, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shoukei Matsumoto, a Buddhist monk from a Tokyo temple, talks down to readers in How to be Anal Retentive A Monk’s Guide to a Clean House and Mind.

Living in a clean house helps your mind in an immensely positive way, not least because, duuuuh, it’s nice to live in a clean house, and cleaning in itself can be quite calming – I totally agree. But that’s the entire book. “Cleanliness is next to godliness.” Hardly an original sentiment and definitely not in need of an entire book, however short, to
7jane
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: reading about different views on cleaning and being clean
This book perhaps reads the best if you think that you will use those hints and opinions that you can use, and view the rest as an interesting view on places of Zen and the mind of those who live in them. This book clearly works best if you have already decluttered and minimalized (or nearly-minimalized) your place, though some points would work already.

It is a book on cleaning the house inside and outside (outside being the garden and walkways), plus cleaning your body and mind. There are some
Gabrielle
3 and a half stars.

"Think of your home as an allegory for your body."

In Zen, it is often said that the profane is sacred and that the sacred is profane; that's why what can seem like menial tasks to some are viewed as ascetic practices for monks, as Shoukei Matsumoto explains in this little book.

"A Monk's Guide to a Clean House and Clean Mind" is basically exactly what the title promises: it's an insightful explanation of the way cleaning and maintenance is handled in the context of a Zen
Dannii Elle
In 2017 I began to incorporate more self-care and spiritual practises into my life. In 2018 it has been my goal to really engage with a more mindful, present, and tranquil lifestyle. For that reason I felt very conflicted about what to rate this book. I loved the essence of this book and was so sure I was going to adore it, before I began reading. In actuality, I loved the idea of it more than the end result.

This book opens up the ideologies behind many of a monk's daily practises and shows how
Nigeyb
Jan 07, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying: A simple, effective way to banish clutter forever by Marie Kondō at the start of 2016 and, when I read about A Monk's Guide to a Clean House and Mind, I thought it might offer similar nuggets which I could incorporate into my routines.

Shoukei Matsumoto, a Buddhist monk at the Komyoji Temple in Kamiyacho, Tokyo, explains how a monk’s day begins with cleaning, and the various rituals, many cleaning based, which punctuate the day.

This slim, quick-to-read
Tess Wheeler
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a delightful little book. I read it from cover to cover within an hour and found it calming and fascinating in equal measure.

This bestseller by a Zen Buddhist monk is in the tradition of books about minimalism, mindfulness and decluttering. It draws a line from cleaning your home and living in an uncluttered space, to cleansing your soul and feeling calm and fulfilled. Shoukei Matsumoto explains that in the temple, the monks begin their day by sweeping dust away, not because the temple is
Olga Miret
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to NetGalley and to Penguin UK for providing me an ARC copy of this book that I freely chose to review.
Sometimes I read the title and the description of a book in one of my favourite genres and it is intriguing enough or it has something that makes me want to read it. But sometimes I see a book that is completely different to what I normally read but still, it seems to call me and this is one of those books.
As I am about to move (houses and countries), I thought a book about cleaning (not
MargeryK
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, 2018, japan
A cute little book I bought as a gift and sneakily read before wrapping it!! Makes sense of some Japanese household things. I liked it a lot.
Jera Em
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book on cleaning. Some of it is specific to Buddhist temples along with a few specific things you're unlikely to find in the West such as shoji doors but the basic philosophy and the majority of the advice is all really useful and relaxing to read. I liked the emphasis on taking the time to appreciate the everyday things surrounding us in particular.

I think combining this with Marie Kondo's method would lead to some excellent tidying methods. She was definitely influenced by
Alia Makki
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The main difference between authentic self-help books and patchworked ones is in the authors. Authors who don’t practice what they preach speak empty words. They leave no marks on their audience’s memories. The example of books written by false teachers are plenty. They fluff up the market, but nobody remembers the titles or authors.

Authors who practice what they preach, their words stick. Words that stick result in follow-up actions, in retention of information, in happier environments.

Books
Bert Verheyden
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eye opening book about the fundamental tasks of cleaning. Not only will you be cleaning your house more often, you will be cleaning your mind and heart as well. This book will give a new definition to "chores".

Although it seems as if you won't have any time doing only a fraction of the rituals, selecting those you deem useful and translating them towards your own flow, will prove liberating in the long run.
Aubrey
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whether it be how orderly our homes are or the order in the words we say to others, there is a correlation between outer and inner order - one being a reflection of the other. And, immersing myself into philosophy lately (and Buddhism in particular), I have gained so much perspective. Now, instead of seeing doing the dishes as a 'chore,' I've learned to really be in it. I've learned to give my focus, love and attention wholly to it. This has bled into other habits, desire for other habits and ...more
Kate Singh
Enjoyed the spiritual mind connection to cleanliness and being organized. Loved how he connected gratitude and a pure heart with washing away the dust and dirt. Not the most detailed or helpful in "how" to clean and organize...but he is a monk in a simple monastery, after all, right? I mean, what does he really have to organize.
Lucy
May 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, 2018, non-fiction
After reading and loving The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying, when I saw this on my library shelf, I quickly picked it up. This is a book that doesn't have anything particularly new in terms of advice but reading it in the spring air was very refreshing and it inspired me to spring clean. While I would never lead a monk's lifestyle, I found some inspiring and useful bits of advice in this book and it was put in a way that wasn't the slightest bit patronising.

Part of the book I didn't find
Debbie Young
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An intriguing little book, which I suspect I found more enjoyable because of the line drawings that reminded me of a Herge Tintin illustration, (and because it was short, easy and quick to read).

It's an odd combination of common sense and often very obvious suggestions to keep your home clean and tidy plus suggestions that I suspect work as well outside the Buddhist monk author's community, e.g. adopting a particular pose each time you enter the bathroom, and leaving dried green tea leaf dregs
Alyce Hunt
A dinky little book which offers an insight into the daily life of a monastery and the monks who inhabit it. The cleaning advice offered is pretty much common sense - make sure you involve your family, don't do gardening when it's raining, tidy things away at night before you go to bed and don't leave things unfinished - while some of the tips aren't going to be applicable to the majority of households, but it's interesting to view a snapshot of a vastly different lifestyle.
Angharad Dalton
Those who don’t need to read this book will, while those who do need to won’t

That’s the most Zen thing I’ve ever written so I think the book has had an effect...
Bogi Takács
Personally I found this little book more informative about Japanese Buddhist monks' day-to-day life and the attitudes they have toward cleaning, repairs, etc. than as a guide to keeping your house clean. I enjoyed it and thought the illustrations (by Kikue Tamura) really added to it, I'm not sure why the illustrator isn't credited on the book's Goodreads page.
_____
Source of the book: Lawrence Public Library
Elizabeth
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A tiny book packed with wisdom even for Westerners. I loved it!
ashwin
Feb 18, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Monk's guide to a clean house and mind helps in throwing light into the ways of the Buddhist monks. The mantra that cleaning is not a superficial act but an inner one of constantly keeping laziness at bay is a good one.

It helped in developing my vocabulary of Japanese household items.
If you are a Monica I would definitely recommend you this book, even if you are not, it wont hurt you to flip through this book.
Salah
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
I really was hoping for something deep and philosophical, but apart from a couple of ideas, I got sparse instructions on how to clean my altar, how to wash my butt, and how to re-paper my Shoji paper door.
Andy Luke
There's a lot to like about this: a fine print, good illustrations, pocket-sized, full of great domestic tips. However, it's all couched in Buddhist-clique negative language. Everywhere are offensive exaggerations, ridiculous generalisations and contradictions. Its written for the priveleged and anyone who does not have a full-time job, unless you work as a cleaner. This book has a lot of condescension and arrogance. Undoubtedly monk-authentic but in an elite fashionista way. There's also a ...more
Slawka Scarso
I agrre with Matsumoto when he says a clean house will lead to a clean mind and heart, and living in a messy and dirty place will affect our spirits. I mean, I look at the mess on my desk and it hardly makes me happy. However, I wish it had been more practical, I wish there was some kind of advise that could easily be adapted to the reader's lifestyle. After all, it is quite clear Buddhist monks will never read this book, it's meant for people who have nothing to do with temples, who lead normal ...more
Sharon Heow
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book that cultivates one's soul and mind. Cleaning is not just a boring chores or getting rid of dust but learn to appreciate and value things around you. A fresh and clean environment do related to fresh and clean mind of a soul.
J Galante
Jan 19, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not sure what I expected but this wasn't it. A few bits of obvious "wisdom" but for the most part felt inapplicable to my life.
Irina Söderholm
This book offered me some inspiration but it's not very optimal guide for us westerns, I think.
Naomi
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
I really enjoyed this book. It is very simple and easy to read. I found the details of a monks life interesting. I also like the connection of cleaning - to the state of the mind.
Andrea
Oct 27, 2018 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Had to laugh at myself for spilling red wine on the table (and on this library book) while reading it. Even though I will never meet the cleanliness of monks, I aspire to have a cleaner house.
Harrison Saich
Nov 05, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this would be either a treatise on minimalism or a practical guide to mindful cleaning; unfortunately, it tried to be both and ended up being neither.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Typo in description 2 11 Mar 09, 2019 11:46PM

• Zen: The Art of Simple Living
  • Goodbye, Things: The New Japanese Minimalism
  • A Little Book of Japanese Contentments: Ikigai, Forest Bathing, Wabi-sabi, and More
  • Yang Sheng
  • The Minimalist Home: A Room-By-Room Guide to a Decluttered, Refocused Life
  • Lightly: How to Live a Simple, Serene, and Stress-free Life
  • A Life Less Throwaway: The Lost Art of Buying for Life
  • Экстремальный тайм-менеджмент
  • Lo zen e l'arte di mangiar bene: Le buone regole di un monaco buddhista per essere in armonia con se stessi
  • The Minimalist Way: Minimalism Strategies to Declutter Your Life and Make Room for Joy
  • Digital Minimalism: Choosing a Focused Life in a Noisy World
  • Outer Order, Inner Calm: Declutter & Organize to Make More Room for Happiness
  • An Edited Life: Simple Steps to Streamlining Your Life, at Work and at Home
  • Ослик должен быть худым. Рассказы
“nothing starts out as rubbish. Things become rubbish when they are treated as rubbish.” 6 likes
“People who don’t respect objects don’t respect people. For them, anything no longer needed is just rubbish. A child who grows up watching their parents act this way comes to perceive not just things but friends in the same way as well.” 3 likes