Start by marking “Happy as a Partridge: Life and Love in Madrid” as Want to Read:
Happy as a Partridge: Life and Love in Madrid

Happy as a Partridge: Life and Love in Madrid

Evie Fuller is quite simply fed up. Single, unemployed and rapidly approaching her thirtieth birthday, she finds London life is weighing heavy. When a month of free language lessons offers an escape route, she heads to Madrid for sun-soaked adventures and a crash course in Spanish culture. Will a change of scene restore her zest for life?

Follow Evie as she laughs, cries
Published April 26th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Happy as a Partridge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Happy as a Partridge

Start your review of Happy as a Partridge: Life and Love in Madrid
booksofallkinds
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
When you pick up HAPPY AS A PARTRIDGE by Kate Boyle it will transport you to the beauty, culture, and often craziness that is Madrid where you will be swept along with Evie and her new friends.

When everything seems to be falling apart for Evie she makes an impulsive decision to move to Madrid, one that shocks her family and close friends. But as she tries to settle down and find a job, Evie soon has plenty of wobbles over whether this was the right decision or not. As new friendships are formed,
Tripfiction
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Novel set in MADRID that reads like a memoir

On this link the author talks to us about the city: https://www.tripfiction.com/novel-set...

You may wonder what partridges have to do with Madrid? The phrase Happy as Larry translates into Spanish as Happy as a Partridge and if you want to know what it is in the local lingo, it is: Más feliz que una perdiz – there you have it!

This is a delightful account of Evie – or Eebee as the local Spanish call her – who gives up her dull job in England, astonishin
Thebooktrail
Oct 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
description

Visit the locations in the novel

Meet the author on location

I admit the title got me straight away! Not since my days of wandering around Granada and wondering if there were in fact partridges in there and why many people mentioned them to me, had I heard this phrase. I immediately wanted to read this book as the girl on the cover seems so happy to be there, and when I dived in, the writing made me realise Madrid was the place to be.

It felt personal, as I myself have done many of the things Evie
MadRead
Jul 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great book about a life changing adventure everyone should experience. This book kept me very entertained due to the countless examples of adapting to Spanish life that I can relate to. From the feeling that your Spanish never gets any better and that surely you should be fluent by now, to the hysterical mispronunciations the Spanish make when speaking English, which Evie has to correct as part of her job teaching the mechanics.

There have been a few laugh out loud moments but my favourite was
Stephanie Phelan
Jul 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
A lovely expat story

At times her story seemed too good to be true. However, that may just be what life in Madrid is like. A dream. We wont know unless we go and see for ourselves! I am inspired.
Rose
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Kate Boyle’s debut novel is a masterful blend of light-hearted romance, humour and a vivid and enticing portrayal of Madrid. Evie Fuller is a refreshingly honest and endearing protagonist and her adventures perfectly capture the excitement, frustrations and freedom of living and working abroad. I can’t wait for her next book.
Nicky Palmer
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-club
A lovely, easy read that gives you a real insight into daily life in Madrid. Plus you’ll end up with a great list of bars, restaurants and cultural places to visit when you’re there - better than any guidebook!
Billy Buttons
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was entered in The Wishing Shelf Book Awards. This is what our readers thought:
Title: Happy as a Partridge: Life and Love in Madrid

Writing Style: 8/10
Content: 8/10
Cover: 9/10
Of the 20 readers:
18 would read another book by this author.
16 thought the cover was good or excellent.
20 felt it was easy to follow.
19 would recommend this story to another reader to try.
Of all the readers, 6 felt the author’s strongest s
Pamela Bottomley
Sep 02, 2019 rated it did not like it
OMG!

Well, I don’t know how I got to the end I just hoped something might make it worth the effort. It didn’t.
Evie was certainly a mixed up confused character. The writers description of Spanish men was extraordinary. Quite insulting. Certainly in all my years of travelling around Spain I haven’t encountered such behaviour. Evie didn’t come over too well either. A sex starved 30 year old who hit the sack very readily after alcohol fuelled nights out. Lots of them.Then she meets a “nice” Spanish m
Angie Slane
Mar 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Sex and the city meets Madrid.

I was looking for a book about Spanish life in the 21st century and this book delivered. Sex in the City set in Madrid. An enjoyable read although a surprise at the end that left me wanting more .
FountainPenInk
Sep 21, 2019
miss carol cruickshank
Oct 19, 2018
Jul
rated it did not like it
Feb 01, 2019
Oct 10, 2018
Oct 23, 2018

• Everything to Live For: The Inspirational Story of Turia Pitt
  • The Simplicity of Cider
  • Well Played (Well Met, #2)
  • A House for Happy Mothers
  • Before You Say I Do
  • Postcards for a Songbird
  • Faith, Volume 1: Hollywood & Vine (Faith, #1)
  • The Infinite Pieces of Us
  • The Odds of Loving Grover Cleveland
  • Master Class
  • Legacy (Steel Brothers Saga #14)
  • A Street Cat Named Bob: How One Man and His Cat Found Hope on the Streets
  • Jack Charles: Born-again Blakfella
  • Love Junkie: A Memoir
  • The Gods Who Harvested Men (The Panagea Tales #2)
  • Everything I've Never Said
  • Fate
  • Misadventures in the Cage (Misadventures, #27)

News & Interviews