Start by marking “Mirenda Volume 1” as Want to Read:
Mirenda Volume 1

Mirenda Volume 1

A jungle woman gets a mysterious demon trapped in her leg and must go on an extraordinary adventure. Artist/writer GRIM WILKINS (PROPHET EARTH WAR) plays with the possibilities of comic storytelling, letting the visuals carry the weight.

Originally appearing in ISLAND magazine, MIRENDA picks up the gauntlet left by the works of Moebius and Frazetta and runs with it.

Collects
Published November 13th 2018 by Image Comics

To ask other readers questions about Mirenda Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mirenda Volume 1

Start your review of Mirenda Volume 1
David Schaafsma
An intriguing, almost completely wordless comic series which would seem to be in part some tribute to a European style, maybe specifically Moebius. The main character is a single woman, Mirenda, who wears few clothes in the early-going, as we find her in some wilderness. Yes, this is a thing anyone would notice, as the men she encounters do wear more clothes, so I was curious (suspicious) about this. Over time she gains more clothes. But a kind of refreshing aspect of the depiction of her body ...more
Devann
I received an ARC copy of this book from Edelweiss

I wanted to like this more but most of the time I just didn't really know what was going on. Each issue has pretty much only one line of dialogue and while the art is very good, for me it just really isn't enough to carry the whole book. I did like the character and world designs but ultimately it was just like looking at a very elaborate art book most of the time and I couldn't give you any more than an extremely bare bones version of the plot.
Alex Sarll
No, not a South African adaptation of the popular pratfalling sitcom, but Image publishing a Eurocomics-style odyssey which claims descent from Moebius, and at times struck me as a Miyazaki megamix injected with a dose of Fantastic Planet. The distortions to the faces in particular didn't always feel 100% intentional, but the vistas and creatures will stay with me. My biggest problem was that it was mostly silent, emphasis on the 'mostly', which means there's an awful lot of weight on the few ...more
Kristy
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
I still think it's a neat idea, and the artwork is gorgeous. I just feel like there's something in the execution that just didn't work for me.
Flavia
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received a free PDF copy of this graphic novel from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

This graphic novel was quite strange! But almost pleasantly so. The setting impressed me with the amount of strangeness and creativity it was infused with, and I feel the same about the characters.

There is very little dialogue in this book, most conversations happening with the use of imagery rather than words. I found this to be a little confusing, but also quite intriguing! The plot as a whole
Cale
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was ok
I got more of the story from reading the Goodreads blurb than I did from reading the book. Seriously.

This gets two stars solely because of the quality of the art, which ranges from good to beautiful, especially its use of color.
Unfortunately, it's in service to a story that is incomprehensible - I literally had no idea what was going on through the entirety of the volume. Trying to tell a story without text is difficult, and this fails miserably, even with its half-dozen cheats of text (that
Esme
Feb 11, 2019 rated it liked it
I saw this displayed at my library, and the realistic way the woman's body was portrayed--stomach rolls and muffin tops--drew me in. I had no idea what it was about, but checked it out immediately. There is no summary on the back, no blurbs, no author bio to give you an idea of what you're getting into.

It's very creative, with weird animals, plants, and people (the super-strong woman with a skeleton foot in particular intrigues me). But it's very hard to tell what's going on.

After finishing, I
Bianca
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A series originally released in issues of ISLAND magazine, Mirenda plays with the structure on comics, using almost no written word save for sparse narration from Katla, the hero of the story, or someone she is learning from. She searches for a way to rid herself of a supernatural being that has implanted itself into her thigh.

In place of worded dialogue is pictorial speech bubbles, overlapping panels and visually expressive characters with loud, intricate personalities.

For Fans of: Moebius,
SuperSillySerra
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
a lot going on, not much said.

I really wanted to like this book more then I did. The art is great, the story seems pretty good. Im a sucker for wordless comics (Owly being my favorite) and was pretty excited for this one but I got lost in it (And not in a good way). For me there was one too many story lines going on at once. It jumped back and forth between characters, with little to no connection until the end and even then I have no idea. Almost too many details or too many Panels. You
Adam Stone
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
In a few reviews recently, I mentioned that a story would have been better off wordless. It accentuates the art, and certain fantastical stories don't need dialogue or narration.

Unfortunately, I did not find this to be one of the stories.

As with many of the comics that came out of Island, I enjoyed the art style, but the story needed a writer. I'm sure if the artist sat down and explained the story as you read it, it would make sense, but the story as presented is difficult to follow.

It's
-RadioactiveBookworm-
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Mirenda" is a beautifully put together story without any words. I think in the entire book, there's only maybe three lines of text at the most. What really drew me to this, was the cover, and the art. That's a really important thing when there aren't any words, and this book had amazing art. The places surrounding the characters were always changing, and just so interesting to look at I couldn't put it down. It's just so nice to look at, some of it is so strange and kind of trippy looking. I ...more
Paul Allard
Jun 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Three stars for the artwork.

Unfortunately fairly incomprehensible comic collection - but nicely made

This wordless comic collection deals with a jungle woman with a demon lodged in her left leg. Starting nude but gaining apparel, she meets a few hostile and some friendly people in circumstances a bit difficult to discern. There’s a bearded chap with his mount/pet but I didn’t understand where he came in. Maybe I’m thick or just lazy but it was hard to follow what was going on. Not a success but
Fiore
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
Somehow this comic pairs a striking art style with traveling in a bizarre unknown world...but doesn't manage to make me feel anything aside from lost. There are many panels where interactions between characters and their thoughts are shown within image-filled word bubbles. Yet these times do not do much to illuminate what they are going on about. Even the flow of images is difficult to follow at times. If not for the lush colors and intriguing setting this work wouldn't have much of any appeal.
Paul Decker
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
*I received this book as an eARC from Image Comics via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review*

I had no idea what was going on for most of this book. There's no dialogue. The art style is cool, but kind of disturbing. The imagery is unique and interesting, but the story itself was hard to follow.

This was not for me. I give the book a 2/5. The style wasn't my cup of tea, but you may enjoy it.
Kathleen
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
It was a bit nebulous to me where the story started, and what could have resulted in that setup, but it's a pretty clear quest structure after the first chapter or so. The man with the goat seems to have his own tale going on in tandem! The world's built on stories, and stories feed into other stories in unexpected ways.
Lizzy // The Bookish Unicorn
2 stars for the art but that is about it. I've read many other wordless graphic novels before and never had a problem following the story. But with this one I couldn't tell you what had happened or why any of the events that occurred were relevant to the story. I think this one would have been better if there was dialogue.
Matt
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Felt lucky to have stumbled onto Mirenda during its first issue Kickstarter. Followed it all the way here. Just fantastic. Vibrant. Clever manipulation of the craft. Cheeky. Wild. Maybe I am overly loyal but this better not be snubbed.
Kelsey Karin
I don't exactly know what I read. There really aren't any words in this comic, and the image driven story was a bit too disjointed and confusing for me to follow with any real aptitude. I still don't know of Mirenda was the main female character or some other person's name. It's never made clear. And given this seems to be a one off, with no continuation, I doubt I'll ever know.

The art was intriguing, but without better storytelling, this is a 3 star for me.
Larakaa
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owning
A lot of what’s going on is hard to make sense of but the art alone is incredible. And 99% of the comic is without words.
Josée
Feb 21, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 really, because of the art and colours. The story may be confusing at times, but overall I really enjoyed reading it.
ZepysGirl
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics, fantasy, library
The art is pretty interesting, but I found it hard to follow the story.
Moon Captain
Aug 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Obviously great art, but the clutter weighs the story down and makes the pacing through the entire story slooowwwww even when it should move quickly (battles, etc)
Theediscerning
Oct 13, 2018 rated it did not like it
Pretentious, impenetrable rubbish. DNF.
Alanah
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Paul Hammond
2.5? Beautiful artwork and interesting storytelling, but the storyline was confusing. It may have gone over my head!
Doshlord
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wordless comics can be a challenge to read, but there's a lot of cud to chew over in the lush art and and slick layouts of this comic.
Daniel
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Confusing but beautiful odyssey
Graeme
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Mostly wordless with great illustrations and an interesting fantasy story involving an embodied demon with some shamans and trance states thrown in.
Ross Duncan
Jan 01, 2019
BookKitteh
Oct 20, 2018
Paul Porry
Mar 06, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Isola, Vol. 1
  • The Black Bull of Norroway (Norroway, #1)
  • The New World