Start by marking “Wicked Saints (Something Dark and Holy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Wicked Saints (Something Dark and Holy, #1)

Wicked Saints

(Something Dark and Holy #1)

A girl who can speak to gods must save her people without destroying herself.

A prince in danger must decide who to trust.

A boy with a monstrous secret waits in the wings.

Together, they must assassinate the king and stop the war.

In a centuries-long war where beauty and brutality meet, their three paths entwine in a shadowy world of spilled blood and mysterious saints, wher
Expected publication: April 2nd 2019 by Wednesday Books

To ask other readers questions about Wicked Saints, please sign up.

شيماء ✨
Ah yes, the place I truly dwell, a cold eternity of endless sorrow and disappointment.

Fine. I’m just being dramatic (again). But seriously—being this sensitive is really inconvenient. Your most anticipated book of the year doesn’t live up to your expectations and you have to cancel your plans for the day to mourn.

So, what’s this book about?

For a century, Kalyazin and Tranavia bled great gouts of men into a holy war that served no greater cause than one country’s fear, and one empire’s hubris.

N
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
Let’s start with this: I devoured this within a span of 36 hours.

Friends, prepare yourselves to be swept away in a new universe reminiscent to that of the Grishaverse, except I dare say, it’s even darker and more gruesome.

“He was a liar and she wanted his truths.”

Trigger Warnings: Self-harm and parental abuse. The author has been very vocal about it – which I appreciate – so readers, just be aware before diving in. Please take care of yourselves!

Anyway…

Most clerics hear the voice of one go
Emily A. Duncan
Aug 26, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Update 10.17.18: Hi! We have a cover! It's black metal as hell and I adore it! The book is also up for preorder if you feel so inclined! The link will lead to a landing page that directs to all major retailers. <3

Update 5.10.18: So the book is going into the world now and I wanted to note some content warnings. There's a blanket content warning on self-harm because this book has multiple blood mage characters and that rather comes with the territory. However, on page 350 (in the bound MS)
Roshani Chokshi
This is for everyone who shipped Alina and The Darkling. WHICH MEANS THIS BOOK IS FOR ME, OKAY? NO TOUCHIE. MINE. ahem.

It's like if you go into a snow-dusted forest to free a beautiful maiden/dude from a glass casket only when you get there, that person has been devoured and this glorious, talon-ed creature with killer hair, a only-way-to-get-rid-of-my-smirk-is-to-kiss-me mouth, and eyes so dark they look like a freaking dimension is chilling on top of said casket, which is now smashed to pieces
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
MY BLOG

OMG! OMG! OMG! PLEASE LET ME LOVE THIS......

Thank goodness I loved the book! Let just give you a little skinny on the book first before I tell you WHY I love it.

The book starts out with a bang; action right out of the gates. We have Nadya, she's a cleric and has been hiding in a monastery forever! She has powers and some peeps found out about her and all hell broke loose. She has to go on the run with a friend in order to not be killed or captured for other horrible reasons.

We have Ser
Samantha
I am teetering between 3.75 and 4 stars for this review, so this rating is a placeholder for now.

I will be doing a full review and discussion on my channel which will be posted closer to release, and I will be talking about this briefly in this month's wrap up, but to hold you all over until then:

This book wasn't quite what I expected, but it is hard to live up to the hype one builds in their head when you've been waiting for a book for literal years. Because of that, I feel I'll be sitting wi
Cait • A Page with a View

This book doesn't release for over a year, so obviously a lot of changes could happen between the ARC I read and the finished copy (like what happened with Furyborn). BUT that being said... this story is a really creative concept that so many people are going to love!

"You could be exactly what these countries need to stop their fighting... Or you could rip them apart at the seams."

I knowww everything is "for fans of Bardugo" right now to the point where that phrase is starting to los
Nick
Jan 31, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
very excited for this
Melanie
Oct 12, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy, arc

ARC given to me by my kind friend - Lilly at Lair of Books!

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch
Viktoria Winter
There is no better way to phrase it— something dark and holy, indeed.

description

This book is reminiscent of stories such as Deathless by Catherynne M. Valente and The Grisha Trilogy by Leigh Bardugo, but with a sharp uniqueness that separates it from everything else. A deliciously grim and resonating tale of heresy and sinister romance, Wicked Saints divulges the makings of a religious war between blood mages and divinity. It is a story wrought from the darkness of seemingly holy things—one that explores
Lindsay Bilgram
“Blood and blood and bone. Magic and monsters and tragic power.”

Listen, no one is as shocked or disappointed by this rating as I am. But, with female characters like Jude Duarte, Vasya Petrovna, and Inej Ghafa, I couldn’t give this book a higher rating. Before we get into why I didn’t love Wicked Saints the way I’d hoped, let’s start with what it’s about.

Nadya is a cleric, but unlike other clerics *refrains from making a bad not-like-other-girls joke* can communicate with not one, but all the
Lainey
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*I received a copy of this book from the publisher at YALLWEST*

Ok, straight up, I don't know how to rate this because I REALLY loved it, but it was also the unbound MS, so I feel weird rating it at all, but we're gonna land on a very strong 4/5 because it was so original and the writing is great and it was so goth and it's been a long time since I fell this deep into a world and didn't want to leave it. I also plan on getting the finished copy when it's published and reread it but honestly my fr
Malanie
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
I’m going to keep this review v short bc I wasn’t into the story at all and skimmed tf out of it. c:

Things I Liked:
✨- the mc can have conversations with gods! It was so cool because we have a young religious figure just,,,,,chilling with her gods. They have personalities, like charming little friends! It brought a smile to my disillusioned face.

✨- You could feel the effort put into being dark and brutal. The imagery tried to drag my disinterested self to the most horrific, bloody, gruesome s
Nastassja

**This review now posted on my blog**

Buddy-read with Julia, my partner in exquisite torture.

"Blood and blood and bone. Magic and monsters and tragic power."

Wicked Saints is a bloody monster! And by bloody monster I mean it will entice you, seduce you, rip your entrails out and stomp on your heart. And you wouldn't mind a bit! Without further ado let's dive inside the wicked saints' bones and blood!

Wicked Saints is an utterly gothic, and ruthlessly dark, and unapologetic mythological tale of

Rosamund Hodge
I realized I hadn't reviewed this yet?? though really all I have to say is:

because this is the dark, bloody, theological-political-plus-snark novel that I've been waiting for. <3
Eryn
Feb 08, 2019 marked it as soon-to-be-read  ·  review of another edition
Not even going to lie, I'm so pumped I got an arc of this. It sounds amazing!
Hannah Greendale
Good girl meets bad boy. What could possibly happen?

Wicked Saints doesn't feel Gothic and hardly qualifies to be pitched as a "Gothic Joan of Arc." It is, however, a fairly well-rendered world with characters that fit nicely into some familiar Fantasy tropes who (surprise, surprise!) fall in love with one another.
He was a nightmare - the echoes she still felt of his power were troubling - but he was gentle. Anxious and strange, a boy caught up in a world that had broken him, all while trying t
Rachel E. Carter
I had the privilege of reading a sample of this girl's work like two years ago and it was amazeballs. Add to the fact that she adores villains probably even more than I do (especially hot ones, like the Darkling and Kylo Ren) -so I'll be first in line to buy a copy!
Alana • thebookishchick
Got an ARC of this and I am SCREAMINGGGGG.
I'm so excited I could cry.
Selena
I received a free advanced copy of Wicked Saints by Emily A. Duncan for my honest review. A wonderful debut book. A story of saints, magic, heretics, and old gods that will both thrill you and haunt you still the very end.
Fafa's Book Corner
I am happy to announce that I am apart of the blog tour!

Really looking forward to reading and participating with fellow bloggers! Lookout for my review on April 9 ☺
☙ percy ❧
Aug 31, 2017 marked it as tbr-unreleased  ·  review of another edition
gothic joan of arc????

Ashlee » Library In The Country
HOT DAMN THIS WAS INSANE.

Review to come!
Amanda Foody
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most unique, refreshing magic systems I've read in a while. Great characters, swoony romance, and sweeping politics and intrigue--everything I want in a book! Fans of SHADOW AND BONE will enjoy this a lot.
Emily
Advanced copy provided by Netgalley

DNF'd at 51%

I really wanted to like this. But I found reading this was becoming a chore, and I didn't want to force myself to read a book that just wasn't working for me.

I did like that this book was written by someone who clearly KNOWS Slavic culture, history, and language. It's rare to see Slavic last-names done correctly in books, so that was great to see.

I thought the atmosphere was incredibly well done. I loved that Duncan wasn't afraid to get BLOODY, and
Sabrina The Trash Queen
I heard this is a dark, dark world.
I’m digging this cover! Can’t wait.
♥Madison♥
I WON MY FIRST GIVEAWAY EVER JHEFWIEBFHE. This has brighten my days. Thank you so much GOOD READS!!!! I can't wait to read this! I'm SO happy!!!!!!!!! fyuegfhrbfgergeg
Okay I'll stop now..bye! eekk
Mari Yeung
Me to my friends: I heard this book has a similar hate-love kissing scene to The Cruel Prince
Everyone: *immediately adds to TBR*
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Thank you so much to Wednesday Books for providing me with this ARC in exchange for an honest review!
  • Fall Like Thieves
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove #1)
  • Blood Heir (Blood Heir, #1)
  • The Tiger at Midnight (The Tiger at Midnight Trilogy, #1)
  • Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)
  • We Hunt the Flame (Sands of Arawiya, #1)
  • The Merciful Crow (The Merciful Crow, #1)
  • Sorcery of Thorns
  • Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic #1)
  • The Candle and the Flame
  • The Nameless Queen
  • The Devouring Gray
  • The Waking Forest
  • The Never Tilting World
  • All the Stars and Teeth
  • The Beholder
  • A Court of Miracles (A Court of Miracles, #1)
  • Empire of the Vampire (Empire of the Vampire, #1)
“Emily A. Duncan was born and raised in Ohio and works as a youth services librarian. She received a Master’s degree in library science from Kent State University, which mostly taught her how to find obscure Slavic folklore texts through interlibrary loan systems. When not reading or writing, she enjoys playing copious amounts of video games and dungeons and dragons. She is represented by Thao Le ...more

Something Dark and Holy (3 books)
  • Untitled (Something Dark and Holy #2)
  • Untitled (Something Dark and Holy #3)
“When he stepped past her, a smile flickered at the edges of his lips. There was darkness at the corners, something evil just underneath the surface, sinister. He turned and grinned at her, monstrous but beatific, holding out his hand, darkness gone. Maybe she’d just imagined it. She took his hand.” 3 likes
“We're all monsters, Nadya, some of us just hide it better than others." ” 2 likes