Start by marking “Ottilie Colter and the Narroway Hunt (The Narroway Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Ottilie Colter and the Narroway Hunt (The Narroway Trilogy, #1)

Ottilie Colter and the Narroway Hunt

(The Narroway Trilogy #1)

In the most thrilling fantasy of the year, a young girl must pretend to be a boy to rescue her brother from a secret order of monster hunters.

Ottilie Colter and her brother, Gully, have always fended for themselves. So when Gully goes missing one night, Ottilie sets out to find him – and soon makes a horrible discovery. Gully has been forcibly recruited by the Narroway
343 pages
Published July 2018

To ask other readers questions about Ottilie Colter and the Narroway Hunt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ottilie Colter and the Narroway Hunt

Start your review of Ottilie Colter and the Narroway Hunt (The Narroway Trilogy, #1)
Marjolein
Leuk verhaal, al was de schrijfstijl niet helemaal mijn ding. Dat kan aan de vertaling liggen natuurlijk, of aan het feit dat ik het gewoon niet meer gewend ben om kinderboeken te lezen en dat eerlijk gezegd ook niet bepaald mijn favoriete genre is.

De personages waren leuk genoeg, het verhaal interessant genoeg maar bepaalde aspecten maken het ongeschikt voor onze winkel (heksen en vloeken etc, doet het meestal niet zo goed in de christelijke scene). Ik vond het zelf voornamelijk jammer dat de
Ely
Dec 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ottilie Colter and the Narroway Hunt first came onto my radar when a friend or family member of Rhiannon Williams came into my work and told me all about it. She pitched it as something that fans of the Nevermoor series would enjoy. As a huge fan of the series, I was instantly drawn into this one and picked it up a couple of days later.

I did start reading this as part of a read-a-thon a few months back. I read the first 50 pages and then put it down to read something else and then didn’t pick it
Beth-louise
May 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
I'll probably write a full review later but I was expecting such a strong feminist middle-grade novel and this wasn't exactly that.

** Mild Spoilers**

Whilst it did ask the question of why can't girls be equal to boys - nothing really happened to correct the misogynistic society. Whether that will come later I don't know but I really really hope so.

She questioned it so much to little avail which only irritated me.

She got punished so much for her actions when the males were still not accountable
Emily
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ottilie Colter was such a fun read! Full of adventure, mystery and a rambunctious cast of characters, Ottilie Colter tells the story of one girl's fight to save her younger brother when he's kidnapped by a secret order of male monster hunters, tasked with saving the world before they turn 18.
Ottilie is my favourite kind of character, she anxious and scared and afraid of doing the wrong thing but when push comes to shove she'll be brave despite how scared she is. More than that this is a story
Tim
Feb 09, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eerlijk is eerlijk, hier had ik toch net iets meer van verwacht.
Gottmer zet duidelijk in op de gelijkenis met De Grijze Jager, tot aan het lettertype toe. Dat is best te begrijpen, want niet alleen is de schrijfster ook een Australische, er zijn nogal wat parallellen te trekken dus dit verhaal en De Ruïnes van Gorlan. Ferm wat, om eerlijk te zijn.
Daar wringt het schoentje ook. Ik ben over het algemeen niet iemand die meteen gaat jammeren van zodra er iets in een verhaal zit dat niet helemaal
Kathleen Dixon
Dec 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
The pay isn't terrific (although it puts bread on my table so I'm not complaining), but there are so many benefits to working in a children's bookshop. Today I am lauding the benefit of discovering books that I'd almost certainly never see if they weren't sitting here for sale. Ottilie Colter has been sitting on the shelf since July last year (well - sitting and being sold and coming in again, etc.), and the second in the series has been here for quite a while too, but I hadn't noticed either of ...more
Pauline
Jul 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ottilie Colter and the Narroway Hunt has the honour of being the first middle-grade novel to win Hardie Grant Egmont’s Ampersand Prize. It is a high fantasy novel in the same vein as the popular Ranger’s Apprentice series and we believe that this series will also be very popular. The Brakkerswamp, home to the Colter family, is a dangerous place and Ottilie and her younger brother Gully have always cared for each other. When Gully is recruited, ie. kidnapped, by the swamp picker to join the band ...more
Isa Rive
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-fiction
Neglected by their mother, siblings Ottilie and her younger brother are close. But when Gully is kidnapped, Ottilie must disguise herself as a boy to find him. They are taken to Fort Fiory in the Narroway, a secret border land where danger lurks. Terrifying monsters roam the surrounds only contained by a group of huntsmen or more accurately “huntsboys”. Unable to escape, they’re forced to join the training program. Ottilie struggles to hide her secret identity and answer her own worrying ...more
AD
I loved this exciting adventure-fantasy story! Ottilie has been looking out for her brother, Gully, for a long time now. So when he goes missing, of course she goes after him. Even when she has to pretend to be a boy to get to him. And that’s just the start of her adventures! Soon she is training to hunt monsters she never even knew existed. But what will happen if they find out she’s a girl?
Love the strong message of equality that shines through this story without feeling preachy. Can’t wait
Emma
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A wonderfully imaginative world with lovable characters, Williams spins a tale that captures and provokes curiosity. From the brave Ottilie - who is forced to disguise herself as a boy so that she can rescue her younger brother - to the band of boys (and girls) she meets along the way, the world is rich, layered and well thought out. I can't wait for the next book in the trilogy. I have a sense that the world is about to get a whole lot bigger. Perfect for kids aged 8+ (as well as the young at ...more
Julia Tulloh Harper
Dec 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was awesome! If you love middle grade adventure fantasy - read this, I couldn’t put it down. Don’t want to spoil but this has a great mystery, some great action, cool scary monsters, nice giant winged big cats, and best of all a great feminist undertone, asking the question - why does society allocate different roles to men and women, and what are so-called ‘male’ roles superior? (Book’s answer: for good reason). I can’t WAIT to read this with my kids.
Kirsten Paoline König
Okee-ig, maar zeker niet bijzonder in het grote aanbod 10plus-titels. Wat me met name stoorde, was het véle zich blijven afvragen 'waarom meisjes niet mogen vechten zoals jongens' en meer zulks.

Ottilie doet zich voor als jongen tot ze betrapt wordt. En goed blijkt in wat ze doet. Geen heel uitgewerkte, aimabele personages.
Indy
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is such a fun, entertaining adventure story I wish I’d had when I was younger.

I loved Ottilie so much, and love her firey spirit. This spirit coexists with her kind, caring nature and shows that girls can be just as good as the boys if they’re given the chance.

I hope so many kids get to read this and hopefully get the amazing messages within.
Helen Edwards
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A romping adventure filled with tension and action, addressing issues of gender, love, loyalty and friendship. The story drew me in immediately and I stayed with Ottilie on her quest to save her brother and find her place in the world. Looking forward to the next installment!
Maleficent Jones
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was simply amazing, filled with drama and edge-of-your-seat scenes, Ottilie Colter and The Narroway Hunt doesn't cease to impress me. Each character was a unique individual and the plot found only in this book.

10/10 would read again!
Ava N
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
The message and idea were great, but I felt it might have been a bit too kiddy for me.
Millie May
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: uni-reads
A really good book! It felt like a retelling of Mulan but also very different at the same time! excited to read on!
Bianca
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing! One of my favorite books.
Adele Smith
May 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
Really enjoyed this! Such wonderful characters and I can't wait to revisit this world with the next two books in this series.
Kate Hofman
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An amazing adventure to be had with this book. A great journey not only through the Narroway but also journey of self discovery, loyalty and friendship. This book offers so much for the young mind and sucks you in with its twisting plot.
BOEKenBOEKET
'Ottilie en de drochtenjagers' is een aanrader voor al wie houdt van spanning en avontuur! Het verhaal geeft een volledig andere dimensie aan de uitspraak: vechten als een meisje!

Omdat er best wel enge beesten en spannende stukken aan te pas komen, is het boek eerder geschikt om zelf te lezen vanaf 9 jaar. Aldus geen boek voor doetjes!

'Ottilie en de drochtenjagers' krijgt zonder twijfel een welverdiende plaats in ons boekenboeket!

Echt een must have in een jongeren bibkast ! Ja OOK voor jongens!
H.M. Waugh
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book has stolen my heart!I enjoyed reading it so much.

I loved it on the first read, when I was captivated by the friendship, humour and exciting world filled with unknowns that I just wanted to know.

I loved it on the second read, as I discovered some of the tricks author Rhiannon Williams used to make it so super-duper awesomesauce.

And then...

YES! And then!

AND THEN!!!!I went out and bought it because my library only had an e-book and I love paper books. And I loved it on the third read with
Alex
Georgina Moore
Sep 16, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Land of Roar
  • Jane Doe and the Cradle of All Worlds (Jane Doe Chronicles #1)
  • Niemand ziet het
  • Lenny's Book of Everything
  • The Last True Poets of the Sea
  • The Witch's Boy
  • The Next Great Paulie Fink
  • The Lost Magician
  • Willow Moss the Lost Day (Starfell, #1)
  • Haaientanden
  • How to Bee
  • The Boy Who Hit Play
  • Wakestone Hall (Stella Montgomery, Book 3)
  • How It Feels to Float
  • The Chosen (Contender #1)
  • Who Let the Gods Out? (Who Let the Gods Out?, #1)
  • Tales from the Inner City
  • The Nancys

The Narroway Trilogy (2 books)
  • Ottilie Colter and the Master of Monsters (The Narroway Trilogy, #2)