Start by marking “The Temp” as Want to Read:
The Temp

The Temp

You have a successful career, a loving husband and a baby on the way . . . no-one can replace you, can they?

Carrie is a successful TV producer with the perfect husband and the perfect life. But when she falls pregnant, everything threatens to fall apart.

Emma, the temp, is everything she could wish for as her cover: smart, willing and helpful.

But as she charms her way into
Published November 1st 2018 by Pan Macmillan (first published 2018)

To ask other readers questions about The Temp, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of The Temp
Chelsea Humphrey
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chelsea by: Kensington Books
Shelves: from-publisher
"A tiny ad, almost hidden at the bottom of the single page of vacancies. Script editor on a long-running, tired series. She jolted as she noted the name of the production company."

After reading what feels like a multitude of thrillers over the past few years, it's getting more difficult to find ones that wow me, or even hit above a 3 star rating on my scale. So many of these feel similar, but every once in awhile, when I am feeling particularly jaded, something comes along, snatches my attention
Kendall
So, reading many thrillers over the years... I feel like it's getting bit tough to "wow" me. So many seem too familiar to me and I just haven't been that impressed.

With having read Michelle France's debut thriller, I knew I had to get my hands on her second novel. I was definitely intrigued by the book to begin with and kept my interest initially. Then it sort of fell flat for me in the middle and in all honesty was a tad bit TOO long for my liking.

Are there twists in this one? Of course... bu
Carrie
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
After reading The Girlfriend by Michelle Frances last year I knew I needed to get a copy of The Temp and expected big things. This thriller however fell into that I just read too many of these pile with a feeling that I may have read this one before.

Carrie and her husband are both in the television business and thought they were perfect for each other and had their lives planned out. This however changed when Carrie accidentally get pregnant throwing a wrench in their best laid plans.

When Carrie
Michelle
This is my second book by Michelle Frances and if I'm being honest I was one of the few that was disappointed in her debut, The Girlfriend, but because the synopsis of The Temp was so intriguing I decided to give her another shot. This book fared slightly better than her debut.

Carrie and Adrian are a successful married couple. She a television producer and he a script writer. Carrie now finds herself in her early forties and pregnant. She and Adrian agreed from the start of their relationship t
Amanda
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
After reading “The Girlfriend” I was very excited to get the chance to receive my copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for a review.

When producer and writer couple Adrian and Cassie discover they are going to be having a baby, they employ Emma as a temp script writer. Unfortunately Carrie is alone at home with a crying baby, a husband who is a reluctant father and the need to go back to work as she does not trust Emma!!

This is definitely not a black and white story, throughout you never
Pauline
Aug 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley

The Temp by Michelle Frances was a thriller about the makers of a television show. The writer with a big ego, his wife the producer who has just had a baby and is jealous of the temp who is very ambitious and has taken her place. It has a few twists and turns in the story.
I found this story very slow moving and I didn't like the characters at all.
I would like to thank NetGalley and Pan Macmillan for my e-copy in exchange for an honest review.
Darinda
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carrie, a successful TV producer, is pregnant and needs to hire a temp. She will need time off work after the baby comes, even though she hates having to leave her job. She hires Emma. Emma is ambitious and eager to work with Carrie.

Told with the alternating points of view of Carrie and Emma. Carrie and her husband have successful careers and a happy marriage. When Carrie finds out she is pregnant, they’re well planned lives get off course. Emma wants to work in the television industry, but hasn
Tammy
Mar 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: release-2019
I was pleasantly surprised by The Temp. It led me down a path then switched gears and took me somewhere completely different.
From start to finish it had me hooked with its very credible portrayal of Carrie, a woman in her 40’s whose life plan suddenly changes with the new addition of baby Rory, her selfish husband I strongly DISLIKED, and temp Emma the neurotic struggling writer (I actually did like!) I especially enjoyed when a secret revelation is revealed adding yet another switch-a-roo to it
Rachael
Sep 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carrie and Adrian are a massively successful screen writer and producer couple who are at the peak of their respective careers. Adrian has just won a BAFTA and Carrie is producing his next show, when she discovers she is pregnant with a baby that Adrian really doesn’t want. In her 40's, Carrie decides to proceed with the pregnancy and 24 year old Emma is hired as a script editor to fill in for Carrie whilst she is on maternity leave. With a newborn baby, an unhappy, uninvolved husband and a youn ...more
Dita
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley

Who is the "good guy" and who's "bad" in this creepy thriller? You will guess until the end!

Carrie is a very successful TV producer about to go on maternity leave. Her job defines her and she has anxiety about Emma, her ambitious, young, temporary replacement and what exactly her aspirations might be for Carrie's job. But, you know, the show must go on...

Adding to Carrie's insecurities are her cut-throat co-workers, one of whom is her incredibly detached, emotionally unavailable husband, who can
Frank Phillips
Mar 13, 2019 rated it liked it
I'm torn between three and four stars on this one. Overall it was a very decent book, just not a thriller at all in my opinion. I definitely felt like her previous novel, The Girlfriend, have more elements of a thriller to it and more intrigue and suspense as well. that's not to say there wasn't a pretty decent twist at the very end of this one, I appreciated that and it definitely added to my overall enjoyment. I think going forward with this author I'm going to keep my expectations lower and e ...more
Ova - Excuse My Reading
This was a slow burning read but worth it. I loved how Frances mapped out and opened up all the three characters, Carrie, Emma and Adrian.
I have read Michelle Frances's The girlfriend and it was also an above the average thriller.
The Temp isn't as fast paced as The Girlfriend but still pretty satisfying, psychological thriller, but I don't understand why book cover pushes the reader into the idea of one woman stealing another woman's life.
One thing I really enjoyed in this book is that you get
Amy
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-netgalley
***4-4.5 Stars***
Publication date: January 29th, 2019

I absolutely devoured this book and could not put it down.
Carrie is a successful TV producer and married to Adrian when Emma is hired as a temp and everything goes from there. Is Emma interested in Carrie's husband and why?
Is Carrie just paranoid because she's pregnant and feeling distance with her husband?
With my favorite category of reads being thrillers, I totally thought I knew how this would end but surprisingly it was different and w
Suzy
Jan 30, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️

This was my first Michelle Frances book. While it didn’t “wow” me, I did like it a bit.

Carrie and Adrian are a married couple in the television industry. When Carrie gets pregnant - to the disappointment of her husband - their office hires Emma - the temp to fill her position while she’s out on maternity leave. Emma does a fantastic job. She is well liked by her new colleagues. So much so, that Carrie starts to feel her job is threatened. But Emma has plans. Plans that Carrie and
Wendy
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
After reading and thoroughly enjoying "The Girlfriend" by Michelle Frances I was thrilled to receive a copy of her next novel "The Temp". Not a thriller but still a captivating story.
A slow burning read that begins with you getting to know Carrie, a television producer, and Adrian a screenwriter. They had been together for many years when she unexpectedly becomes pregnant to his dismay. Carrie is replaced by a temp, Emma, who is exceptional at her job and has a desire to impress without overstep
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow this book was absolutely amazing. I was hooked from start to finish. It had so many twists and turns and it kept you guessing. It had a brilliant ending which I always think is very important in a book. I really really enjoyed it and I highly recommend it. I can’t wait to read more books from Michelle Frances. Her book the girlfriend was also a great read. It was a very good book.
Amy
Jan 23, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
2.5/5

I want to start off my saying that I think I’m burnt out on slow burning thrillers in general and sick of waiting for a book to properly engage me for more than half of it. Unfortunately, that’s basically what happened here and I think I was so disinterested by the time things did speed up, I just didn’t care how great the twists were. So keep all of this in mind while I share my thoughts…

The premise of this sounded interesting enough, I loved the idea that a young, ambitious and crafty wom
Mandy White
Dec 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audible
I was hooked! Great narrator and a mostly unpredictable story. Really enjoyed it
Emma Garland
Feb 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Carrie has a fantastic life. She is a successful tv producer happily married to her screen writer husband Adrian. Busy careers with all the luxuries of the child free and wealthy. Expensive dinners, endless amounts of time together and a beautiful beach house. However life dramatically changes when Carrie discovers that she is pregnant. Having previously agreed that neither of them wanted children this is a huge shock to her husband and career.

Enter Emma. The charming new temp that Carrie canno
Lou
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
After coming across Michellle Frances's internationally bestselling debut novel 'The Girlfriend' and having deemed it such a solid start to her career, I was excited to get my mitts on a copy of this, her second novel. This is the perfect thriller to settle down with on a cool, windy autumn day, and in the end it leaves you with a warm, fuzzy feeling that jumps off the pages.

Essentially, this is a book about ambition, deception and betrayal and how each can leave a lasting impact on a persons li
Chloe
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carrie a successful T.V. producer with an award winning screenwriter husband Adrian finds herself pregnant and is looking for a temporary replacement while she goes on maternity leave.
Emma , a 24 year old script editor feels like a perfect fit and everyone seems to love her but Carrie soon starts to suspect that there might be an ulterior motive to Emma's intentions.

The Temp is my second book by Michelle Frances after loving her first book The Girlfriend.It is a fast, entertaining read with some
Kristy
Carrie is a television producer married to Adrian, a television writer. She has signed him to an exclusive deal with the production company where she's recently started working. They've come up with what they think is a brilliant idea for their next show. But their big plans feel threatened when Carrie realizes she's pregnant--and she plans to keep the baby. Carrie and Adrian's glamorous life never included children, and it's clear he isn't keen on welcoming a child into their life now. Carrie a ...more
Misty
May 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
The writing is solid, the characters believable, the structure sound. Why, then, did I not love this?? From the first page, my attention was easily redirected—to my email, to phone calls, etc. I just never felt fully engaged with the story. Even without that engagement, it wasn’t difficult to figure out the “twist”, which ended up seeming rather “ho hum”.

Just not my cuppa.
Carlene Inspired
At 40-something Carrie and her husband, Adrian, had written off children, instead embracing their dream careers as television producer and script writer, respectively. When Carrie becomes pregnant it seems like a sign and she embarks on the journey despite Adrian's hesitation. While not happy about leaving her role temporarily, Carrie is even more unhappy about the young women filling her shoes. Emma is smart and willing to do whatever it takes, but she also seems too willing to take up the seat ...more
Tori
Jan 30, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been reading a lot of thrillers lately and while this one was decent and some things happened that I wasn't expecting, I wasn't completely hooked on this book. It took me awhile to get through it and while for the most part it held my interest, I wasn't really thinking about when I would have my next free moment to continue reading like I usually do when I'm submerged in a story.

Overall, it was a decent read and I have her other book on my tbr list.

Thank you to NetGalley and Kensington
Fall-Out-Book-Nerd
Jan 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
I don't know what I expected from this book but it was nothing like what I actually read. There was so much plot and everytime I thought I knew where the story was going it would take a completely different turn. The ending was completely unexpected but at the same time kind of annoyed me, like they were just throwing another plot twist in for the shock factor.

Full review to come but I'm definitely looking forward to reading more from Michelle Frances.
Lisa-Books Smiles
Humm...what do I have to say about this novel? Well it’s a novel that should have been played out on the Lifetime Movie Network. I was excited for this book after reading and loving Frances previous book The Girlfriend. Unfortunately, I was left feeling disappointed! The pacing was off, the characters lacked dimension, and the plot was deficient in substance.

Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for an e-arc copy in exchange for an honest review.
Lesa Divine
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 🌟

I enjoy trying to find out why the temp Emma was doing the things she was doing.
She had her reasons for wanting to be Carrie's temp as Carrie has her son and is on leave. With her husband still working to write scripts for the tv show that they both husband and wife runs. Carrie starts to believe the new temp wants her job and her hubby.

Adrian isn't all a great hubby nor a father. The temp Emma sees his true self and she wants what's her.

Secrets are revealed.

I enjoyed.
OutlawPoet
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
So, this was one of those books where I smugly thought I knew exactly what was going on...until I didn't.

Very pleased that the author took this in an unexpected direction.

While I didn't love every turn the plot took, I appreciated that the author had me so very curious to see what was going on and how it all would end!

Suspenseful read!

*ARC provided via Net Galley
Rachel Hall
Feb 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Michelle Frances follows up her debut release, The Girlfriend, with another mediocre psychological thriller that focuses more fully on the insidious and ultra competitive world of television. Despite striking a few overfamiliar notes and the usual descent into implausibility that mars much of the genre, this is an entertaining and undemanding look at a successful TV producer, Carrie Kennedy, her later life unexpected pregnancy at the age of forty-two and the whippersnapper stepping into her shoe ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• The Holiday
  • Apple of My Eye
  • A Version of the Truth
  • Unfollow Me
Michelle Frances graduated from Bournemouth Film School and then from the Masters programme at the American Film Institute, Los Angeles. Returning to London, she has worked for several years in film and TV as a script editor and producer for both the independent sector and the BBC.

Her first novel, The Girlfriend, became an international best seller. She is also the author of The Temp, The Daughte