Start by marking “The Holy Temple” as Want to Read:
The Holy Temple

The Holy Temple

4.43  ·  Rating details ·  6,818 Ratings  ·  230 Reviews
This is a comprehensive book about the LDS temple. It examines in appropriate detail the doctrines and practices which surround that holy building, and particularly their implications for the individual Church member.

Part one offers the Lord's invitation: "Come to the temple." It sets forth the requirements for attendance- basically, preparation through worthiness- and the
Published June 1st 1980 by Bookcraft Pubs (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about The Holy Temple, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Holy Temple

Jaclyn
Jul 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I honestly struggle to make it cover-to-cover through church books. I'd rather topic study and move on, but I read this in a couple of days this week as I found myself absorbed in learning all I could about the temple. President Packer is good about citing sources and referring you on to specific scriptures and talks. After finishing the book, I read sections in the Doctrine & Covenants and the entire Pearl of Great Price to help supplement the points he made. The book is definitely worth yo ...more
Brittany Lesueur
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lds
I had a hard time rating this one. It's is all good information and well-written obviously. Most of the book I felt was something I've already learned in a Sunday school lesson, but it was all information worth reviewing, and I did have my mind open to some new inspiration. It was a worthy read, but it's not a book I would read over and over again. Would highly recommend to non-LDS who want to know more about our temples.
Aaron
Mar 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
It feels almost blasphemous, but I'm barely giving this book four stars. It really is meant for people who have not yet gone, or who have only been a few times, to the temple. The book says just about everything you can say on the subject without ever actually talking about the temple ceremonies. The beginning and end of the book are quite repetitive, however, and seem to say the same thing over and over again (e.g., the temple ceremony is sacred, not secret, and we should be anxious to do famil ...more
Eric McLean
Jul 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would recommend this book to anyone who is planning on going through the temple in the future or anyone who wants to know why we do temple work. The book itself is well written with plenty of anecdotes, stories, and scripture. I did find it a bit on the dull side after about 200 pages, mostly because it became very repetitive, but it is still a very good book about why we have temples. I was really interested in the parts about genealogy and found a lot of really beautiful insights there, but ...more
Carol
Jun 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and their friends
Shelves: church
The women in my ward (congregation) are reading this book as we look forward to the dedication of a temple here in Indianapolis. It had been a long time since I read it, and I found it very much worth reading again.
One thing that I noticed more this time was the illustrations for each chapter heading. They were done by President (then Elder) Packer himself.
Wendy
Jun 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I started reading this shortly after being called as an ordinance worker. I have read a few short pages before my shift each week which has given me time to ponder its beauty and approach the temple with greater reverence.
Lydia
Jun 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Really such an excellent book. I have loved taking my time reading this book so I can take a minute to slow down and feel the Spirit as I read. I would definitely recommend this book. I love what I have learned from it!
Richard Downey
Dec 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I've read it a couple of times, but reading it this time through the eyes of a temple worker has been a revelation, so to speak.
Teresa
Sep 18, 2016 rated it liked it
I have been meaning to read this book for quite some time. I learned some interesting things about the temple, church history, etc.
Molly Rosenbaum
Mar 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I am so grateful for the blessings of the temple! And I cannot wait to go claim those blessings :) 10 days!
Andres
Feb 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
My favorite part was when it talked about Elijah and Elijah appearing and committing the dispensation of the gospel.
Daryl
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I learned so much from this book. I had been wanting to read it for a long time and I'm so glad I finally did. I appreciate very much Elder Packer sharing his experiences and knowledge with me. Yes, I felt that he wrote this book just for me. He explains a lot about the temple and its purpose and why family history is so important. He did this in a way that seemed deeper for me; deeper than I had felt before. I love this book and loved learning from it.
Amanda
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was so interesting. It talks about preparing to go to the temple, a basic overview of the ordinances performed there, and ends with the importance of temple and family history work. A great read for anyone, but one I will encourage my children to read before they go to the temple for the first time.
Jeri Lin
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's been nearly 8 years since I went through the temple for the first time (not including baptisms). Reading this book, I learned so much and was inspired to make changes in my own life. If read with a humble heart and a willingness to learn and change for the better, this book will help you to become more like Christ and to prepare yourself and your family for His coming.
Elijah Christopher
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent advice and revelation for anyone that is looking to enter into the House of the Lord woven in with the history and sacrifices that were made to bring us the Temples in these the Latter Days.
Becca
May 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Gave me a greater understanding of the temple and a greater desire to do family history work before going to the temple. Interesting and inspiring reading.
Katelyn Jackson
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful book! It helped me to understand many things!
Meghan
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
An overview on why we attend the temple and participate in temple work.
Danni
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
good stuff.
David Sylvester
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of the most wonderful books on the Temple and Temple Worship! Loved it and would highly recommend it!
VeeDawn
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very good, but very basic--would be especially good for new members.
Charly Troff (ReaderTurnedWriter)
This is a very well done book. I learned a lot and am left inspired to make the temple and especially genealogy a bigger part of my life.
Jan
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved learning more about the temple. Elder Packer had such great insights.
Jileen
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
A contemplative book that has encouraged me to continue genealogy work.
Kerri
Mar 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Good book. I felt it explained not just reasons behind temple work but also doctrinal background for it. Really liked the discussion around the Old Testament temple doctrine of Elijah. Straight forward writing made it easy to understand, but also kind of dull to read in some parts. Overall a good book that expanded my understanding, which I was hoping for.
Sam  Bright
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: church-religious
Great book. Motivated me to do better at family history and to strengthen family relationships right now.
Jeff Stockett
Jan 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: religous
I really enjoyed this book, even though the intended audience seems to be someone who is preparing to go to the temple for the first time.

For someone like myself, who has been to the temple many times, there is not a lot of new information here. However, there are plenty of good reminders of the blessings of temple attendance and the reasons that we do temple work. As it says on page 42, "In the temple, we face the sunlight of truth."

There was also a lot of good information about the history of
Christa
Sep 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Our ladies book group decided to read this book because the Atlanta Temple was closed for renovations July 2009 and we knew that in the upcoming months we would have an open house, dedication and then have our temple back up and running. Most of us had either read Elder Packer's book or pamphlet just before we went through the temple and we thought it would be a great review and a way to get even more excited about having our temple back.

Well obviously it's been a while since I've been on good r
Lindsay
Jan 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book and think it is a MUST read for all who attend the temple and go on missions (which should be everyone!) The reason I say this is because of these two quotes which are related and talk about different aspects all related to the temple - doing missionary work and seeking after the dead - as being the greatest responsibility that we have.

“The greatest responsibility in this world that God has laid upon us is to seek after our dead.” - Joseph Smith

“The Lord has given to the Churc
Angie
Sep 06, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who goes to the temple
Shelves: lds-nonfiction
This book is a good overview of what temples are and why they are important. Elder Packer really knows his stuff and I appreciated that he cited a lot of outside sources. Having not been to the temple before, much of the information still seemed frustratingly vague, but it did change my perspective a bit about temple work.

All my life I have dreamed of going to the temple; this goal has been primarily for my benefit. However, after reading this book, I finally realized that we have temples so tha
  • Lectures on Faith
  • Faith Precedes the Miracle
  • Christ and the New Covenant: The Messianic Message of the Book of Mormon
  • To Draw Closer To God: A Collection Of Discourses
  • All These Things Shall Give Thee Experience
  • Articles of Faith (Missionary Reference Library)
  • Teachings of Gordon B. Hinckley
  • Teachings of Presidents of the Church:  Spencer W. Kimball
  • Following Christ: The Parable of the Divers and More Good News
  • Go Forward with Faith: The Biography of Gordon B. Hinckley
  • Discourses of Brigham Young: Second President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
  • Our Search for Happiness
  • A Marvelous Work and a Wonder
President Boyd K. Packer, the President of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, was set apart to this position on February 3, 2008. Previously, he was Acting President of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles beginning June 5, 1994. Prior to becoming Acting President, he served as a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, having been ordained an Ap ...more
More about Boyd K. Packer
“The word discipline sometimes touches a slightly rebellious chord in our natures. Remember that it comes from the word disciple.” 3 likes
“Many of the little intrusions into our lives, the little difficulties and the petty problems that beset us, are put into proper perspective when we view the linking of the generations for the eternities. We become much more patient then. So if you want the influence of dignity and wisdom and inspiration and spirituality to envelop your life, involve yourself in temple and genealogical work.” 1 likes