Start by marking “Renegade Skyfarer (Stones of Terrene, #1)” as Want to Read:
Renegade Skyfarer (Stones of Terrene, #1)

Renegade Skyfarer (Stones of Terrene, #1)

The airship crew saved Ben’s life from a dragon, of all things.

When Ben wakes up, he has no memory of his family, his home, or how he got to this strange world. All he knows is what his new crew members tell him: the magical Barrier that protects their land is weakening. Unless they find the artifact that can repair it, all of Terrene will be destroyed and enslaved by the
Published May 30th 2018 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Renegade Skyfarer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Renegade Skyfarer

Laura A. Grace
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Well.

I'm a little bit speechless after that massive number of FEELS. Seriously, HUGE feels that leaves you breathless, on edge, or crying. I'm still deciding on which one I'm feeling, but I think let's go with "all of the above."

This was an excellent debut! I enjoyed it from the beginning to end and loved how the author did a fantastic job of making each crew member unique. I was slightly afraid I wouldn't know who was who, but I didn't really have that problem.

Goodness, the plot twists were VE
Jane Maree
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a perfect example of 'don't judge a book by its cover' (even though I totally do that with every single book ever). It was a great read and I really enjoyed it!

The characters were interesting. The relationships were so realistically complicated and complex. Each character had a well defined, individual personality.

It was well written and engaging, though I did skim a few parts simply because I was too impatient to read it slow. I guessed the plot twists before they were revealed, and a c
K.T. Ivanrest
Sep 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Wow. Never have I felt so wildly different about the first and second halves of a book. The first half nearly made me give up multiple times, the second was jam-packed with action and twists that kept me intrigued and turning pages.

Why the difference? Ultimately, almost every significant plot-related even happens in the second half of the book. For nearly the whole first half, I had no idea what the central conflict even was, and so the story seemed to drag. Apart from a super intriguing prologu
Sarah White
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fun steampunk adventure with great characters and political intrigue and an adorable, angsty slow-burn romance that gave me all the feels. I need book 2 yesterday!
Jamie Foley
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Treasure Planet meets Jurassic Park for an addicting steampunk adventure.

Renegade Skyfarer mixes classic fantasy with steampunk in a unique world with awesome characters. You'll soar on airships, fight dinosaur-inspired dragons, cheer for adorable romances, and uncover political secrets and plots in this epic new series.

PROS:
- Original world that blends classic fantasy, steampunk airships, and dragons
- It's clean! I find it so nice not to be berated with cursing and unnecessary sexual scene
Heidi
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This books gives me all the steampunk Firefly vibes and it’s AWESOME. 😍❤ Magic, airships, dragons and pirates, a man with missing memories, secret identities (and a gorgeous Guardian, natch), and ALL THE EPICNESS!! I LOVE THIS BOOK GUYS! You should go read it! 😜❤ ...more
C.O. Bonham
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Renegade Skyfarer by R. J. Metcalf is the first book in a new steampunk fantasy series.

There was so much going on in this book that I don't know where to start. I'll start with the dragons because this what sucked me into the story. I loved the different dragon species. It's like How to Train Your Dragon. All the special things they do.

There are multiple view point characters. Captain Slate, his daughter, Jade, the mysterious Blade, and an amnesiac named Ben. My favorite was Ben, since everyone
StoryStormBlog
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5/5 stars!
A must read for lovers of romance, steampunk, and magical fantasy.

If the beautiful cover and intriguing summary aren't enough, let me tell you… Renegade Skyfarer is so much more than an amnesiac on a blimp striving to salvage a ruptured barrier. This story boasts multiple layers of unique concepts piled one atop another to generate a truly novel experience. Like the stones…

In Terrene, different stones possess a variety of magical functions—from ship powering capabilities to anesthe
Ruth Benner
Aug 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
The world crafted by R.J. Metcalf in Renegade Skyfairer is truly fascinating, as it combines all the beloved elements of a fantasy novel (magic, sword-fighting, dragons) with the uniqueness of a steampunk world. The airship Sapphire is probably the most amazing features of this new word, fusing magical gravity stones, a gear-powered engine, and solid wood ship into a spectacular flying machine that is beloved by both the characters and the readers.

While the central plot of the book revolves arou
Janeen Ippolito
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Metcalf has spun an innovative steampunk fantasy tale with plenty of twists and heart. Humor, action, intrigue, and heart-wrenching reveals keep the story moving briskly. I can't wait for Book 2!
Side note: #TeamZadeForever
Jenelle
Dec 09, 2018 rated it liked it
I saw the cover for this book and knew I had to read it. I mean… airships AND dragons? Yes, please!

However, it took me quite a while to get into this one. The first half of the book kind of trudges along and didn’t feel like it was heading anywhere in particular. I didn’t feel like the pace really picked up or the story really grabbed me until I was almost 60% of the way through the book, what was there was enjoyable, and the characters were pleasant to hang out with, but it wasn’t really pulli
Bethany (Silent Storm)
Aug 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars; Fantasy

Magic. Dragons. Mystery. Peril. Betrayal. Love.
All this and more in this wonderfully crafted tale from another world.
With a steampunk twist.
For all Fantasy lovers and Steampunk fans, add this book to your reading list.

Ben wakes up in a world that he doesn't recognize, on an airship, with strangers who have (apparently) just rescued him from dragons. He doesn't know where he is from or how he got here. He decides to stay where he is for the time being. Maybe something will h
Anna
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
With airships, dragons and the promise of high-stakes adventure, Renegade Skyfarer was an easy book to convince me to pick up.

We start out with a prologue that is a tantalizing draw into the story and from there meet Ben, who has no memories of his past and was found in a dangerous location by the crew of the airship Sapphire.

As Ben stays on, snippets of his past come to him while he befriends the rest of the crew and hopes traveling with them will help him remember who he is. Along with him, w
K.C. Lannon
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The promise of dragons and airships drew me to this story, but the fantastic cast of characters really captured my attention and kept me reading eagerly.

Jade is a fierce female mechanic with relatable inner struggles. Ben is an easygoing sweetheart. Slate is a strong and determined captain that you empathize with. Krista and Briar are loyal friends. And Zak... ZAK!!! That broody and dedicated swordsman really captured my heart. The airship isn’t the only ship in this book, y’all, if you know wh
Brianna
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It always takes me a little while to get invested in a new book, so I refuse to judge books by whether or not they grab me right away. Instead, I judge a book by how long it takes me to get to the point where I'm choosing to reach for it with all of my free time in order to finish. Renegade Skyfarer was a book where I became intrigued pretty early on. An interesting cast of characters, several unique mysteries to investigate, and a handful of brewing threats made for a combination I couldn't res ...more
Randy Harmelink
Aug 09, 2018 marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amnesia, fantasy
I'm at the 21% mark and decided to give up on this one. I'm just not enjoying it. I don't think the author is doing a good job of informing the reader of what is going on. I would expect that in a book where the main character has amnesia, but then the story should be all their first person observations. If the book follows other characters, their actions need the context of the world they're interacting with. That information is just too sparse for me.

But I'm typically not a fan of steampunk, s
Lauren Salisbury
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book!

It's a great steampunk novel with engaging characters and a plot that just kept going, twisting and turning until the very end. I honestly couldn't put it down, and kept reading far too late into the night to finish. The only problem I have with it is having to wait for the next one, and not being able to get my own airship.

If you like well-written novels that drop you into the action and don't let go until they've finished pummelling your heartstrings, this is a must read.

Paul Sabin
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Entertaining and Engrossing Fantasy!!!

This book is a very interesting and capivating blend of steampunk and magic! It's very unique and full of characters that grab your attention. The storyline is unpredictable and suspenseful. It's a very well written and action-packed with romance as well.

If you like steampunk or magic and romance in an action-filled adventure, you must read this book!!!
Crystal Crawford
Loved this book!

This book was excellent. Kept my attention the entire way, and the characters were complex and interesting. The plot surprised me at several points and I actually teared up once or twice, which for me is saying a lot! The romance in the book was the perfect amount and well-executed. Definitely would like to read the next book!
Kathy Brickert
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Exciting adventure

Great fantasy tale that kept me reading straight through till the end. A fascinating world with a host of characters that keep the plot moving and exciting ! Good read!
Mike Cook
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Liked it read it in one day could not put it down. I have a hard time reading so that said a lot
Janine
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Renegade Skyfarer has the feel of a classic fantasy adventure, as we follow the crew of the airship Sapphire as they search for a way to fix the barrier that protects Terrene. There’s political intrigue as well to give it an unique flavor, and I was engaged throughout as the plot unfolded through it’s twists and turns.

The steampunk setting is vivid and I felt like I was a part of the world that RJ Metcalf has crafted in her debut novel. I love the idea of magic rocks and the way that magic is tr
Daphne Eze