Start by marking “Fire & Blood” as Want to Read:
Fire & Blood

Fire & Blood

(A Targaryen History #1)

3.90  ·  Rating details ·  12,388 ratings  ·  1,925 reviews
The thrilling history of the Targaryens comes to life in this masterly work by the author of A Song of Ice and Fire, the inspiration for HBO’s Game of Thrones.

With all the fire and fury fans have come to expect from internationally bestselling author George R. R. Martin, this is the first volume of the definitive two-part history of the Targaryens in Westeros.

Centuries bef
Published November 20th 2018 by Bantam

To ask other readers questions about Fire & Blood, please sign up.
Jeroen Smits 1) I want it, yes.
1) I want it, yes.
2) He's probably thinking something along the lines of: "I'm excited to work on this project. I know I also would like to finish WOW, but I'm stuck creatively and want to make sure that it's perfect. I can give my readers a Westeros book this year, that would be nice. Hopefully now I will have some renewed energy to work on Winds."(less)

·  12,388 ratings  ·  1,925 reviews

Kai
Apr 26, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
okay cool BUT WHAT ABOUT WINDS OF WINTER
Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
I have chosen to cast aside my frustrations over the long overdue Winds of Winter and to not let it affect my rating of this book. As annoyed as I am (and as annoyed as many of you are), I urge you to read and enjoy this for what it is. That's all we can do.

And I surprised myself by writing these words because I honestly expected to write a review lamenting over the fact that we are still waiting for the sixth book in the series, and we will probably be waiting for a few more years to come. But
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Well, let's just go read about some history & fire & blood & s•••!

I loved it! I had to switch from my hardback to the Audible because I couldn't get into it at first. Simon Vance is one of the great narrators so he pulled me right into the book.

At first I wasn't going to buy this book because I feel like many that he needs to finish the other books. BUT, after cancer, I can't wait around for shit. Life is too short and I will read what I want when I can so there you have it! And if
Khurram
I was expecting a lot more from this book. The book reads like a history text book. This is by design, I think to make the book feel more authentic, but this works too well as it comes across a bit dry and boring. It took me a long time to get through this book simply as at time I just did not feel like reading more then a few pages at a time. I can actually say I know the Targaryen family history better the our actual royal family's.

I do have to say there were a couple is stories like Argon I a
Ana O
Like their dragons the Targaryens answered to neither gods nor men.

game_of_thrones_aegon

Aegon the Conqueror brought fire and blood to Westeros.

game_of_thrones_daenerys_daemon_2

Daemon Blackfyre loved the first Daenerys, and rose in rebellion when denied her.

game_of_thrones_duncan_jenny_of_oldstones

Prince Duncan met and became smitten with the mysterious woman known only as Jenny of Oldstones (a witch, some say), and took her for his wife in defiance of his father the king.

game_of_thrones_naerys_aemon_2

I love him, I truly do, I love him as much as Queen Naerys loved Prince Aemon the Dragonknight.

game_of_thrones_rhaella_knight

He put
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
You're killing me, Smalls. Seriously, how hard can it be to wrap up the existing ASOIAF series???? Spoiler alert:

Petrik
Mar 22, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Diehard fanatics of aSoIaF
A good and unnecessary comprehensive historical overview of the Targaryen Kings.

The aesthetic of this book is gorgeous; easily one of the most beautiful books I own. I mean it, the cover art of both editions are stunning, the typography inside the book is beautiful, the font used (Centaur) was easy to read, and most of all, Doug Wheatley’s artworks were simply spectacular to look at. As for enjoyment factor, I really wouldn’t call this an enjoyable read, it was more like a homework reading that
Irna
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
GRRM IS NOT YOUR BITCH.

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

DNF @ 10%

WARNING: This book is NOT a novel. It is written like a history book with no dialogue, and everything is all tell and no show.

You're welcome.

If you look at the reviews for this book, most of the reviews aren't about the book at all. 90% of the ones I glanced at were fans literally fighting with each other over how entitled they are to take the piss out of George R. R. Martin for publishing Targaryen fanfiction instead of WINDS OF
Vanessa
May 02, 2018 marked it as want-to-read-wishlist  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-release
All these people bitching about the next Song of Fire and Ice book and how Fire & Blood is just terrible and how could Martin do this to us?
Seriously?
I am more than a bit outraged about all this ungratefulness and bitchiness from people.
Mohammed Arabey
George R.R. Martin will publish Fire & Blood, the 640-page Game of Thrones history book no one asked for, this fall.

Oh, did you want to read The Winds of Winter? Too bad

That's how a News site announced this annoying News..How accurate is that !
Source :Chaim Gartenberg - The Verge

Mohammed Arabey
Melanie
Apr 25, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Melanie by: Paloma
Shelves: fantasy
I'm equal parts side-eyeing and fangirling.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch
megs_bookrack
Update 2/15/19: Still this.

Where The Winds of Winter tho???
Diana
Nov 23, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: discarded-shelf
I tried to like this book. I really did. I stopped reading it because it wasn't what I was expecting. Picked it up again with a clear mind. Nope. Not for me.
If you're expecting a narrative that tells you a story like the one in the Game Of Thrones seriew, beware this is not what you'll find in this book. Here you are going to find a fully packed chronology with tons of names (let it be places or peoples) that will hold your interest when it gets more narrative-y (I know this isn't a word) but th
Lyn
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good evening, I’m Ron Burgundy and this is my review of George R. R. Martin’s 2018 book Fire and Blood.

COUGHING – where’sTheWindsofWinter?? – COUGHING

UGH, excuse me for that.

Of course everyone knows that R.R. stands for Romeo Rapscallion.

Senior Martin writes this WINTERY tale of the history of the dragon riding kings of Westeros – the Targaryens. It’s a WINDY story, full of WIND. And WINTER.

COUGHING – where’sTheWindsofWinter?? – COUGHING

I must have a tickle in my throat (takes a sip of scotch) I
Mayim de Vries
Yes, I have it. And yes, I want to read it.

But I will read it if and only when A Song of Ice and Fire is finished.
Thank you.
Greg Bates
Apr 27, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Well done, GRRM. You may be a lazy sack of shit, but your trolling game is god-tier.
Marquise
Since most reviews out there are only complaints about the lack of TWOW, I thought I'd review the actual book. Three stars is perhaps a generous rating for the rather disappointing quality of the story, but it's mostly owing to the art and some parts of the story that were entertaining.

The book purports to tell the history of the early Targaryen kings, from Aegon the Conqueror and his sisters to Aegon III, in 23 chapters that narrate the first part of their history as follows:

1. The first half o
Charlotte May
Feb 12, 2019 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Me: Currently been reading an 800 page book for about 3 months....

Also me: I can start this 700 page chunkster. No problem!
Rahul Matthew
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
Lord!! Have Mercy on my Soul!! A Whole Goddamn Story on the Targaryens!!I really like the cover:).I have no problem bending the knee for this one!!!

Alrighty, I am going out some real heavy hitters at the end of the year. I really need to go ZEN with this one. Dragons and Cultures!!!Yes, channelizing my streams of consciousness towards these words.

“In the DARK AGES,
MAGIC was a weapon,
LOVE was a mystery,
ADVENTURE was everywhere
and DRAGONS were REAL”

1)Chinese dragons, also known as East Asian d
leynes
Dec 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I know over half of the fandom is throwing a hissy fit over the fact that George decided to release Fire and Blood instead of working on/releasing Winds of Winter; but let's simply disregard these entitled fools with the wise words of Neil Gaiman: "George R.R. Martin is not your bitch." So you can rave all you want and waste your time by spreading negativity over a book you haven't even read, but I for my part cannot fucking relate.

Fire and Blood is an amazing piece of work that does for the Wo
Mary Deacon
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can sum up this book in just one word: Hellmotherfuckinyes!
Matt
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
“For the first time since the Doom of Valyria, dragon contended with dragon in the sky, even as battle was joined below. Quicksilver, a quarter the size of Balerion, was no match for the older, fiercer dragon, and her pale white fireballs were engulfed and washed away in great gouts of black flame. Then the Black Dread fell upon her from above, his jaws closing round her neck as he ripped one wing from her body. Screaming and smoking, the young dragon plunged to earth, and Prince Aegon with her… ...more
Junkie for the Written Word

What the actual mother fooping coconut flinging monkey finger shit is this? Hoooo my god. I think I'm having an aneurysm.

description

I. have. waited. for...

You know what, nevermind, nevermind. This is fine. FINE. This is great and grand and fabulous. This is perfectly OKAY because obviously NO ONE gives a flying floop about my opinion on the matter. I'm just going to be over here being perfectly FINE with this.

description

(PS: Dear Mister George Arr Arr Martin sir, please finish this fucking series while my ovaries
Ashley Daviau
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Before I get into babbling about how freaking amazing this book was I have one very important thing to say; if you’re a GoT fan, go buy this book now and savour every beautiful page just like I did. This is such a stunning addition to the series and I loved every single page of it. It’s incredibly detailed and gives such an interesting look at how Westeros came to be the world we all know and love. Getting to learn so much about the dragons and their riders and how they conquered the Seven Kingd ...more
Mirta (secretlifeofapotterheadgirl)
Me: News about “Winds of Winter”?

GRRM: Do you want a new book in the series?

Me: YES, totally!

GRRM: No problem, a new book is scheduled for this autumn?

Me: “Winds of Winter” will be released this autumn?!?

GRRM: ahahah, no no poor child of summer! A book about Targaryen history!

Me: And “Winds of Winter”?

GRRM: This is about Targaryen. And dragons.

Me: D R A G O N S

GRRM:... well?

Me: WINDS OF WINTER CAN WAIT GIVE ME THIS BOOK
Ivana - Diary of Difference
It finally happened! I have this book in my hands! I still can't believe I got it as a New Year's gift. *Screams silently*
Can't wait to read it. BUT - I have a huge series of A Song Of Ice and Fire to finish...
Ian D
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: american-lit, fantasy
"Note to self: Don't hate this book just because it'll be published before Winds of Winter" έγραφα πριν την κυκλοφορία του και τελικά, όσο κι αν είχα όλη την κακή διάθεση να το αντιπαθήσω, δεν τα κατάφερα. Καταλήγω στο συμπέρασμα πως ο χοντρός (fat shaming θα πείτε αλλά του τα'χω μαζεμένα που δεν κοιτάει να τελειώσει την επταλογία και γράφει σκόρπια βιβλία δεξιά κι αριστερά) κατέχει το αντικείμενο και την τέχνη του.

Επίσης, ξέρει να διηγείται ιστορίες που υπό την πένα κάποιου άλλου θα ακουγόντου
Phils Osophie
Puh. Es war echt ein Krampf mit diesem Buch. Auch als riesen GoT Fan, der Theorien ohne Ende wälzt, habe ich dieses Buch zum Großteil als langatmig und fad empfunden. Klar, es ist ein normales 'Geschichtsbuch', aber hier und da haben mir die Schwerpunkte nicht so richtig gefallen. Eigentlich schade drum!
Mary S. R.
5 HUGE STARS! a history book that I could not put down!
Full review coming soon
“The game of thrones takes many a queer turn.”
That. Was. Epic! Never has there been a history half as grand as the Targaryens’; Glorious, treacherous, shattering, horrifying, engrossing, savage, mad, dramatic, eventful, and unmatched.
“The Queen Who Never Was; what did Viserys ever have that she did not? A little sausage? Is that all it takes to be a king? Let Mushroom rule, then. My sausage is thrice the size of hi
Goodreads Librari...: Combine volumes to one book 2 18 Apr 24, 2019 06:56AM
Never ending book...: Fire and Blood - George RR Martin 1 1 Apr 03, 2019 05:19PM
Anyone else lost complete hope? 12 180 Mar 27, 2019 06:48AM
  • Japan 1941: Countdown to Infamy
  • My Tibetan Childhood: When Ice Shattered Stone
  • The Lords Of The Golden Horn: From Suleiman The Magnificent To Kamal Ataturk
  • The Auctioneer
  • The Fellowship: The Untold Story of Frank Lloyd Wright and the Taliesin Fellowship
  • The Harrogate Secret
  • Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
  • Big Chief Elizabeth: The Adventures and Fate of the First English Colonists in America
  • Young Henry of Navarre
  • The Deceivers
  • A Game of Thrones: Comic Book, Issue 10
  • The Fall of Gondolin (Middle-Earth Universe)
  • Red Famine: Stalin's War on Ukraine, 1921-1933
  • The Gallows Curse
  • The Mystery Knight: A Graphic Novel (The Hedge Knight #3)
George R.R. Martin was born September 20, 1948, in Bayonne, New Jersey. His father was Raymond Collins Martin, a longshoreman, and his mother was Margaret Brady Martin. He has two sisters, Darleen Martin Lapinski and Janet Martin Patten.

A Targaryen History (2 books)
  • Fire & Blood, Part II
“Words are wind, but wind can fan a fire. My father and my uncle fought words with steel and flame. We shall fight words with words, and put out the fires before they start.” 5 likes
“Only you could have won me away from the sea. I came back from the ends of the earth for you.” 4 likes