Start by marking “The Elephant” as Want to Read:
The Elephant

The Elephant

In this, Jenni Desmond’s third nonfiction children’s book about one of the large, endangered animals of Earth, we join a young boy as he learns about The Elephant.

From Africa to Asia, the elephant makes its home. Light on their feet, despite their great weight, these magnificent creatures appear light and graceful because they’re always walking on their tip-toes. They have
Published November 6th 2018 by Enchanted Lion Books

To ask other readers questions about The Elephant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Elephant

Laura Harrison
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Jenni Desmond is one of my favorite illustrators. Elephant is the latest release in her non-fiction animal series. It is an absolute must have for a school or personal library. Slightly oversized and probably the most gorgeous picture book featuring an elephant that I have ever seen.
Columbus
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Publisher Weekly’s List of Best Picture Books of 2018!

What an absolutely stunning children’s book that’s fit for your coffee table. This is the third in a series of books on endangered animals: The Blue Whale And The Polar Bear being the other two. I’ll likely be picking up those two for myself for my favorite 6-year old to add to my bookshelf his bookshelf soon.

Intelligent, beautifully illustrated and fun, this is one of the best children’s books - if not the best - I’ve come across this year.
Steph
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous. And that two-page spread of the elephant face? Just stunning.
Angelique
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love elephants! The illustrations are gorgeous.
DaNae
Extraordinary facts. Mesmerizing illustrations.
Megan Shoff
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Elephant is a beautifully illustrated nonfiction book that teaches children about the endangered elephant. This nonfiction book is slightly different than others because it has illustrations rather than photographs. There is also a little boy wearing a crown that appears on a few of the pages, although he does not say anything. This book is a great example of a nonfiction book because it has great facts and information about Elephants. Although it almost looks like a traditional story with t ...more
Margie
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing

When a planet is in peril, so are its inhabitants. Humans and other living plants and animals have been and are facing challenges never experienced in previous generations. Even with their marvelous methods of adapting to survive, humans' companions, plants and animals, need us to make choices in their favor every single day.

A little more than two years ago the Great Elephant Census was completed and released. It indicated the population of African elephants except for forest elephants, which ar
Gwen - Chew & Digest Books -
I honestly do not think that I have ever learned so much about an animal species that I didn't know until I read the Elephant or have it stick in my mind because it was so easily presented.

True, Elephants are not something that I come across every day or ever, but still, I can now tell you and I bet your kids could tell you after reading the differences between the two main species, their genders, their skins, their food, their gestation periods and more. Considering how many books I read a yea
Sandy Brehl
Elephants are intriguing and appealing to people of every age, and this book should be the same. The combination of scientifically accurate portrayals of subspecies, habits, habitats, and patterns of elephants combine with the enfolding premise of a young boy who is serious and clever and loves to read about elephants.
A variety of "facts" about elephants, both African and Asian, can be easily forgotten or confused, even when various memory tricks are provided. but after reading and examining th
Lindsey
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
This child-friendly nonfiction picture book effortlessly blurs the line between storybook and informational text. It follows the narrative of a young boy picking up a book about elephants and being swept into their environment as we learn about their lives from birth to death. Elephants are one of my favorite animals, and even I learned something new. For example, elephants are either left- or right-tusked, which is one tusk often appears more worn down than the other (and leads me to wonder if ...more
Linda
Brief and clear text tell all about elephants with exacting and gorgeous illustrations completing the explanations. Jen includes all the living elephants on our earth now but begins with the sad, but the incredible fact (in the author's note) that once there were more than 300 species in the elephant family. Now there are only two. The book includes some sub-species. There is a bit of whimsey added with that little boy wearing the red crown on the cover. He appears once in a while when needed! ...more
Debra Lowman
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful non-fiction book for those beginning to read on their own or for parents to read with young children. It's full of fun and easy facts that the kids will repeat over and over. I'm not always a fan of illustrations in animal non-fiction (why, when there are photographs?), but in this instance I stand corrected. The illustrations are beautiful multimedia and colored pencil drawings and they are exquisite. Highly recommend. scientifically accurate, strikingly detailed, and beauti ...more
Irene
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Een zeer informatief prentenboek over de olifant. Het boek ziet er prachtig uit, ondersteunende platen met tekst die ook voor kinderen interessant en te begrijpen is. Ik wist wel iets van de olifant, maar dat hun poten ook werken als gehoorapparaat wist ik nog niet. Zo zijn er nog meer leuke weetjes te vinden in dit mooie boek. Een compliment voor Jenni Desmond, zowel voor tekst en prachtige illustraties.
Krissy Neddo
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Adults will appreciate this book more than elementary children. While I love the art and facts, my students still prefer animal books with photographs or cartoon type illustrations like Eaton's The Truth about Elephants.
In my opinion it's best suited for a parent to buy or checkout from the library to read with their child.
A bit too long for a teacher read aloud. Break it into two sittings for grades K-3.

Marit Tuik
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ik vond de olifant erg leuk en leerzaam. Op een verhalende wijze geeft de schrijfster informatie over de olifant en de prachtige prenten ondersteunen het verhaal. Ik vond het erg grappig dat het boek zelf ook nog in een prent voorkwam. De informatie is toegankelijk voor jongeren kinderen en het taalgebruik is zeer rijk. Moeilijke woorden worden niet geschuwd, maar wel uitgelegd. Een vorm als deze is veel leuker dan een informatieboekje of het opzoeken op internet.
Jeimy
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am a fan of Desmond's books. They are equal parts informative and lovely. Though she writes about animals we are familiar with, she always manages to add information that I find surprising. In this book it was that one of the differences between Asian elephants and African Savanna elephants is that the former have a one-fingered trunk, while the later has a two-fingered trunk. Once again the illustrations are stunning.
Juf Yvon
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: boekenbingo-2019
Wow! Wat een prachtig informatief boek heeft Jenni Desmonds gemaakt! De illustraties zijn echt supermooi en je blijft maar kijken. De informatie is fijn om te lezen. Niet te moeilijk voor kinderen om te begrijpen en bevat veel verschillende aspecten van de olifant. Zeker een aanrader voor het maken van een werkstuk of spreekbeurt! Doet me herinneren aan mijn eigen eerste werkstuk: ook over de olifant. Had ik dit boek toen maar gehad!
Teri
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a fantastic picture book with really amazing illustrations. I love how the book starts out as a kid reading a book, and then continues to use the kid in the illustrations. I only wish the entire book was written like a narrative like the first couple pages were. It was a little disjointed with the beginning feeling like a story and the rest feeling like an informational book. Still fantastic though!
Amanda
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
A charming non-fiction picture book perfect for the little (or big!) elephant lover in your life. Having the image of the child reading the story in the book appear in the illustrations will help children connect to the world of these amazing animals. A gentle and peaceful read. Recommended!

I received a digital ARC from the publisher via Edelweiss+.
Kelsey
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: best_2018_jp
Publisher's Weekly Best Books 2018 - Picture Books

Reminiscent of How to be an Elephant by Katherine Roy, this non-fiction book is full of varied information about elephants. Uniquely, this book also has a fictional twist by incorporating a little boy who appears as a silent character reading the same book. The illustrations beautiful with rich detail.

Recommended for ages 8-10.
Ms.Gaye
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
The elephant illustrations are well rendered in various art media, while simpler images help a young reader understand various facts about these wild creatures. A great introductory picture book, although I expected to see some footnotes or references at the end.
Meredith
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I did not know very much about elephants before reading this book! They're very interesting! The pictures are also really great. I will definitely check out Jenni Desmond's other picture books about endangered animals.
Pam
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Information text about elephants is sandwiched between a young boy starting a book and waking up from a dream at the end.
Illustrations provide further info to support the facts provided.
Elementary level readers will follow the data provided.
Abigail (Abbe)
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kendall, books-i-own
I learned a lot about elephants from a childrens book. A must gift for an animal lover.
Kaila
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids, beautiful-books
beautiful & informative, my favorite!
Michele Knott
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
This may be my favorite picture book about these amazing creatures, however, I am very disappointed at the lack of backmatter.
Lynn
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful, informative and fun! A charming blend of solid nonfiction and whimsical story in a wonderfully appealing package.
Nancy
Gorgeous and so informative. I learned so much and love the elephant even more than I already did. Recommended.
Jill Cd
Beautifully illustrated and full of amazing facts about elephants; this book is a treasure.
Lynn  Davidson
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful story about elephants! This book is full of very interesting elephant facts and wonderful illustrations.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Jenni Desmond graduated from a Masters Degree in Children's Book Illustration at the Cambridge School of Art (UK) with distinction and her debut book won the Cambridgeshire Read it Again! Award in 2012. Her books have been translated into over a dozen languages since, and in 2015 Desmond was named Best Emerging Talent (Illustrator) at the Junior Design Awards (UK). In 2016 she was made a Maurice S ...more