Start by marking “Love for Imperfect Things: How to Accept Yourself in a World Striving for Perfection” as Want to Read:

A beautiful guide for learning to love ourselves, from the author of the internationally bestselling The Things You Can See Only When You Slow Down

No one is perfect. But that doesn't stop us from imagining ourselves smarter, funnier, richer, or thinner, and how much happier we would then be.

Love for Imperfect Things, by the bestselling Korean monk, Haemin Sunim, shows how
Hardcover
Published January 24th 2019 by Penguin Life (first published February 3rd 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Love for Imperfect Things, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love for Imperfect Things

Start your review of Love for Imperfect Things: How to Accept Yourself in a World Striving for Perfection
Jami Murphy
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The loving voice we often long for in our crazy, mixed up lives is here in this comforting book. I will probably always flip back to different sections of this book whenever I need a bit of encouragement or love. ...more
Colona Public Library
If you are looking for a self-help book to start your New Years off right, this is the book for you. In a easy to read format, these verses will help you heal from negative thoughts. The chapters were broken down into different categories: Self-Care, Family, Empathy, Relationships, Courage, Healing, Enlightenment and Acceptance. It made me feel better to know that even a Buddhist monk struggled with depression and sadness. There were many passages that I wrote down to reference back to in the ...more
Dana Al-Basha دانة الباشا
I think such books are considered self help books, and I'm going through these like drinking fresh water in a hot summer day; I love positive books about peace, meditation, mindfulness, and acceptance. I always feel sleepy after a few pages of such books, I think they make me feel a sort of peace I can't always achieve... in any case, the book is lovely, deep, and the illustrations are beautiful. I think blue is one of the prettiest colors.

Sri Ratna Wulan
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I absolutely love this book. This book is better than the first one, I think. It likes a fountain; it heals your tiredness when you drink it. I am not a Buddhist but I feel that the teachings about spiritual are somehow similar to what I believe. This is one of my most favorite books. It helps me a lot and I hope I could act same like my knowledge. I really recommend it to everyone!

We are imperfect but so the world. We just need to accept it.

Andrienne
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes you just need a reminder that is simple and straight-to-the point. The author talks about self-care, forgiveness, relationships, depression, compassion...It’s a soothing book that is like a collection of maxims to live by. This is useful to pick up every now and then when you need a pick-me-up.
Linda Hill
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
2019 seems to be the year of the self-help book, and I’ve read a few so far this year, but Love For Imperfect Things is one of the best. I loved it.

I want to begin my review by saying something about the lovely quality of the way the hard-backed book is produced. The robust cover means that this is a book that will withstand years of use as readers dip in and out. What really enhances Love For Imperfect Things though, are the wonderful illustrations by Lisk Feng. They have a naive quality that
Emma
May 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just like his first book, this is a collection of essays, anecdotes and quotes. The book is split up in chapters that deal with one certain topic, such as acceptance, empathy and self-care.

I especially liked the anecdotes because they give an interesting view into the life of a buddhist monk, and it shows us that not everyone is perfect, not even Heamin Sunim!

In comparison to his other book, this one resonated a lot more with me, and I feel like the structure was better too. No 5 stars though
Donna
The essays in this book are deceptively simple. They are not earth-shattering revelations, but instead are quiet, peaceful reflections on life and how best to live it, starting by accepting the most meaningful of “imperfect things,” ourselves. The short, poetic pearls of wisdom that follow each essay can be taken in all at once as quick reinforcing readings about the chapter, or each one might be considered on its own as a daily meditation. Either way, none are the koans and conundrums found in ...more
Caitlin
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Haemin Sunim writes wonderful little books. I keep his first one on my bedside table to refer to when life seems hard. This one I read straight through, and I'm glad. Sure, some bits read like Wisdom McNuggets, but far more capture a way of being in the world to which I wholeheartedly aspire. Lovely artwork (especially in Things You Can See Only When You Slow Down). Amen.
SheAintGotNoShoes
I loved this book as I did his prior one.

The only few bones I had to pick were my difference of opinion on 'weighing ' or 'measuring' our pain against someone else's and coming to the conclusion that ours is not heavy. Pain and suffering can not be put on a scale nor should it as it solves nothing.

I also do not agree that is it necessarily bad to tell your new partner some horror stories of your prior relationship, it does not conclude you are small minded or catty - that relationship may have
Trevor Gill
Feb 13, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a banal trawl through the blindingly obvious. It restates stuff that, if you didn’t know already, means that you’re probably about 3 years old. So often did I find myself thinking, “No sh*t Sherlock” that I eventually gave up. Don’t buy this book. Instead, go for a haircut and engage the barber in a chat or take a taxi ride and raise some subjects with the driver. You’ll learn just as much and gain more value for your time and money.
Putri Amalia✨
I really love the book!! This is my third non-fiction/self-improvement books I read this year and I can say this is my #1 pick! Haemin Sunim's writing is very calming I can't even imagine how soothing it must be in the original script which is Korean (I don't think he published the Korean version, if he did I'd really love to read it, and in this book they put the translator name and also I can recognize that this writing isn't originally written in English, anywaaay-). I don't know what makes ...more
Edwin B
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I know this is sort of like a self-help book, but it's also spiritual.

And I read this because it's the next book to discuss in my book club.

But let not the book club be my excuse for reading this, because — I say without embarrassment — I can use a spiritual perspective on life whenever I can get it.

This book is different from most spirituality books I’ve read. It is a rhythmic cadence of "do this" and "don't do this" words of advice, that is surprisingly soothing, and meditative – gently
Johanna Hammarström
One of those books that makes you feel really good. Not any new revelations but a good reminder of the important things in life.
Amiera
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Take your time reading this book.
Author Haemin writes a great content that brings good peace to the mind and soul.
Definitely worth to re-read this book again soon.
laipeen
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Disclaimer: I received this book from Times Reads in exchange for an honest review.
________________________________________________________________
This is an easy book to love and an easier one to read. I’ll explain why in a few paragraphs below this. I chose this book to review firstly because it is written by a Buddhist monk and teacher, and I wanted to see how it compares to the Dalai Lama’s writing. Secondly, I don’t usually read self-help books, finding them boring and didactic at best, and
Iona  Stewart
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a collection of inspirational texts by the Korean Buddhist monk Haemin Sumin. It is delightfully illustrated by Lisk Feng.

The author reminds us to be good to ourselves first, to express our feelings and remember to ask for help when necessary. We’re allowed to say no when people ask for favours.

“When we love someone, the greatest gift we can give is to be fully present for them.”

Once I was participating in a self-development course when the instructor asked us to tell the group what we
Christine Ong
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Always 5 stars for Haemin’s books!
His words are full of kindness, wisdom, love and compassion and also easy to understand. It felt like I’m having a one on one conversation with him in real life, like a big brother.

This book isn’t a heavy read, and I think it will greatly serve everyone well. Like a warm hug.
Emilia Bennett
When it comes to reading, I usually vastly prefer non-fiction; indeed, I receive most of my 'life lessons' from hidden between the lines of stories about other people living in other worlds where things like 'narrative' and 'themes' exist. However, just because the non-fiction that I've read before has always bored me to tears and left my brain hurting, doesn't mean that I should write it off.

When it comes to books that have genuinely changed my entire perspective on the world around me and,
Elizabeth
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you have ever considered yourself to be a highly sensitive person, just go ahead and pick up this book. Love for Imperfect Things offers writings and advice from Haemin Sunim, a Buddhist monk. Divided into 8 sections, each chapter features two longer essays followed by many paragraphs or sentences of advice or thoughts related to the essays. This book made me cry several times. It was like someone found all of my insecurities and decided to reassure me. I didn't agree with everything Haemin ...more
Megan Rosol
A perfect, calming bed-time read for me. A collection of short, instructive, modern, relevant, light essays and mantras, and pretty illustrations on the subject of self-care, family, empathy, relationships, courage, healing, enlightenment, and acceptance. It's also a pretty book and could serve as a nice gift for some of the overanxious people in our life.

Haemin Sunim's tone reminded me of Pema Chodron's approach to Zen Buddhist teaching.
I will check out his previous book, The Things You Can
Jen
Feb 19, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a cute, quick read but nothing mind-blowing as the concepts and ideas presented are incredibly simple (and quite obvious to be honest). It’s not that I can’t appreciate it for what it is, I think I was expecting something else which can always been seen as a lesson in itself. There were some snippets of wisdom I jotted down to remember when needed. The book leaves you feeling good and like you’ve just been hugged so that is always nice :).
Rosy Tandean
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Whenever I'm feeling down or just need a good reminder, I'll pick up this book that just brings me so much joy and peace. It has been so therapeutic to read whenever I’m feeling at my lowest. A great idea for y'all to try!
Katie
If I could sum this book up in one word, it would be serenity.

This book took me a while, partly because I considered it a light read mostly for the purpose of traveling, partly because I wanted to prolong the reading and savour every word. Indeed, with such wise words and good ideas brilliantly delivered by the author, I cannot help but come back to this book every time I need some advice on certain outlooks towards problems in life.

Certainly, it covers the most common yet
Edith
Jan 01, 2020 rated it did not like it
1 1/2 stars.

This book was a complete disappointment. It offers nothing but a few of the author's personal experiences interlarded with a bunch of random bromides and commonplace pieces of advice that most of us are already familiar with.

When I got to the following, I stopped: "Much domestic strife comes from the futile effort to interfere and sow discord: the wife, between her husband and his parents; the mother-in-law, between her son and his wife; the husband's sister, between her brother and
Surya
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you have never read self help books.
If you have never read buddhist books but looking forward to,
then there are high chances that you will love this book.
This book no wonder has gotten wide appeal, not just because it is written in simple words with inspiration drawn from the problems & struggles of an average human,
but also because this is the much anticipated book from Haemin Sunim after his successful debut book 'The things we can see only when we slow down'

Although this book is
Priska
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english
Got this book as a birthday gift. This book reminds me a lot of what my father taught me. He was also into Buddhism and meditation books and tried to teach me, but I was just a grumpy teenager back then. Therefore, some that I read here was no "surprises" for me, as I have heard it multiple times before. But some did enlighten me, especially during this time where I kind of questioning everything (and probably welcoming quarter-life crisis as well).
Brianda
This book was good, I just feel like I didn't gain much new information. I think this would probably be a good refresher for someone who hasn't been to therapy in a while or is getting back on the mindfulness train after a break. It'd be a good reference book for small reminders or an introduction to mindfulness (that's the only word I can think of to describe this rn) if someone has never rly been in that world before. Author seemed like a nice, thoughtful guy (yes, I know he's monk).
E Janzen
This book is sort of a collection of notes of several topics on one's life, divided in chapters. Sometimes open doors and sometimes good insights and good reminders. A meditation in itself to listen to and a turn to when in doubt or lacking some self confidence. An easy read.
Elaine
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a warm hug for the soul. Advice is simply worded and makes you think more wholesomely about yourself and the world around you. Really enjoyed his personal stories and wish there were more!

• Làm Bạn Với Bầu Trời
  • Bạn đắt giá bao nhiêu?
  • Ichigo ichie. Japońska sztuka przeżywania niezapomnianych chwil
  • 你的善良必须有点锋芒
  • The Courage to Be Disliked: How to Free Yourself, Change your Life and Achieve Real Happiness
  • Zen: The Art of Simple Living
  • Bạn Chỉ Cần Sống Tốt, Trời Xanh Tự An Bài
  • Đi thật xa trên một chiếc camper
  • Leven met wind mee
  • Dấu Chân Trên Cát
  • Lima Cerita: Kisah-Kisah Menjadi Dewasa
  • Nhân Tố Enzyme: Trẻ Hóa
  • Nanti Kita Cerita Tentang Hari Ini
  • The Lost Art of Ladyhood: 12 Essential Skills to be Confident & Classy in a Crazy World
  • Trưởng thành sau ngàn lần tranh đấu
  • Ikigai: Los secretos de Japón para una vida larga y feliz
  • Cảm Ơn Người Lớn
  • Nếu Ngày Mai Không Bao Giờ Đến
Haemin Sunim is one of the most influential Zen Buddhist teachers and writers in South Korea, where his books have sold more than three million copies and are popular as guides not only to mediation but also to overcoming the challenges of everyday life.

Born in South Korea, he came to the United States to study film, only to find himself pulled into the spiritual life. Educated at UC Berkeley,
“When we become kinder to ourselves, we can become kinder to the world.” 10 likes
“Who is an unfortunate person? One who looks at other people and sees only their flaws.” 7 likes