Jump to ratings and reviews

Her Super-Secret Rebound Boyfriend

It wasn’t shy librarian Lola McBride's idea to crash someone else’s high school reunion. It was her best friend who insisted that having a little fun with a super-hot rebound would make Lola forget about her recent breakup. Which is exactly when she meets the hottest guy she’s ever seen.

Architect Luke Erickson had no idea attending his ten-year reunion would turn out to be so fun. When he catches the sexy brunette in a lie, he counters with an offer. He’ll keep her secret—if she pretends to be his girlfriend at an upcoming family reunion. And now Lola and Luke are suddenly spending a lot of time together.

Luke may be most likely to avoid relationships at all costs. Lola may be most likely to desire a husband, kids, and white picket fence. Good thing they're only pretending, or this super-secret relationship could get really complicated.

213 pages, ebook

First published June 11, 2018

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Kerri Carpenter

40 books296 followers
Award-winning romance author Kerri Carpenter writes contemporary romances that are sweet, sexy, and sparkly. When she’s not writing, Kerri enjoys reading, cooking, watching movies, taking Zumba classes, rooting for Pittsburgh sports teams, and anything sparkly. Kerri lives in Virginia with her family.

For the latest updates on her books or to see pictures of her adorable dog Harry, visit Kerri at her website, on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram, or subscribe to her newsletter.

Social Media Links
Newsletter: http://kerricarpenter.us9.list-manage...

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
9 (4%)
1 star
3 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 88 reviews
Profile Image for Kristin .
1,144 reviews168 followers
May 24, 2018
Her Super-Secret Rebound Boyfriend is a fake-romance story. When Lola crashes a high school reunion, she catches the eye of Luke. At first Luke has no clue that she is an imposter, and then he realizes that the name tag she's wearing doesn't match the girl he knew. Plus, she doesn't know anything about the school. Not that he really cares since he's enjoying her company. However, he's in a bind, his family reunion is coming up and his family won't get off his case about bringing a date. So, he comes up with the plan to have Lola pose as his girl friend for his family reunion to get his family off his back. Easy peasy. However, for a guy who wants nothing to do with relationships, he finds himself gravitating towards Lola.

One thing that I loved about this story is that is sort of focuses on The Golden Girls. Man, I loved that show when I was a kid. Every chapter of this book starts with a quote from the show, and the whole high school reunion crashing is from an episode. Plus, Lola and her roommate are huge fans of the show. So, it was really nostalgic seeing one of my childhood staples be the center of a story.

However, the story just fell flat for me. I loved the idea of it, and I'm all for fake relationships that become real, but I never really got a grasp of the characters. Lola's boyfriend broke up with her before we start the story, and I didn't really get that heartache. Lola falls for Luke and vise verse, and I just didn't feel it. The story was predictable, and you could see things coming from a mile away. It was as if this story followed a certain recipe instead of telling its own tale.

Her Super-Secret Rebound Boyfriend seemed like such a cute romance, and I thought for sure that I was going to be swooning and laughing all over the place. However, the story just didn't work for me. Everything felt one-dimensional and I found myself bored throughout the story.
June 12, 2018

Five words to describe Her Super-Secret Rebound Boyfriend? Adorable. Low angst. Day-dreamy. Quick.

Luke and Lola meet at Luke's high school reunion, where Lola is pretending to be someone else at the behest of her best friend and roommate. Lola was recently dumped, and Frankie wanted to get her out of her funk, so why not take a page out of the Golden Girls playbook by crashing a party? Luke promises to not rat Lola out...as long as she helps him with a little problem: his family reunion. Due to his own issues, he's sworn off commitment, but his family aren't on board with that decision, so clearly the best thing to do is bring a pretend girlfriend along, right? (Let's all collectively roll our eyes at this...)

The number one thing I learned from this book is that I need to watch The Golden Girls. Each chapter started with a quote, and they were hilarious and snarky and wonderful. How have I never seen this show before? You know, other than that it's American and aired before I was born.

The story was predictable in its tropeyness, but I still lapped it up. I couldn't stop reading because it was just so easy to digest. It made me feel warm and fuzzy, what with mentions of puppies and loving families. Even when I was stuck in bed with a migraine, I kept reading (on and off through the haze of pain).

I loved that Lola was an introverted librarian with a love for Jane Austen (same, girl, same). I loved that her best friend and roommate was her opposite, but they got on so well and clearly cared about each other (goals). I loved Luke's family and his interactions with them. And finally, I loved that while there was some sadness and angst towards the end, it didn't take too long to resolve.

My absolute favourite thing about this book, though? The epilogue. I want that exact thing to happen to me. I might get my boyfriend to read that final chapter for ideas.

Read this if you want a quick and easy dose of happy in your life! And if you first need a taster, read an excerpt here.

Profile Image for Elaine.
3,222 reviews97 followers
June 10, 2018
This is a fun, cute romantic comedy with a fake to real relationship that will have you laughing aloud. Take a shy librarian, Lola McBride, who has recently been dumped for a younger model and have her with best friend, Frankie, gatecrashing a high school reunion - a la Golden Girls - pretending to be ex-students. Now add in a genuine ex-student, architect Luke Erickson, and have him realising she's not who she's pretending to be, then inviting her to his family reunion as his pretend girlfriend!

As the two get to know each other, their mutual attraction and his determination not to be involved in any long term relationship are at odds. He has a loving family involving his mum, aunts, cousins and triplet sisters whilst she has no immediate family. As they all connect, life is full of fun and surprises in this engaging romantic comedy!

There are references, quotes and advice from 'Golden Girls' throughout this story, providing more humorous content. The characters are well developed and I really hope there'll be stories about at least one of Luke's sisters finding love - with Luke's best friend - in the near future. I enjoyed escaping into this story and have no hesitation in recommending it to anyone who enjoys hot (but not too steamy) contemporary romances.

I requested and was gifted a copy of this novel without obligation and this is my honest review after choosing to read the story.
Profile Image for Shalini.
2,477 reviews199 followers
September 19, 2019
This was a so cute and a fast read too. Crashing into a local high school reunion was never so fun, when Lola decided to do it. Apparently a way to get over a broken heart. But life did change for her as she met Luke there who coerced her to become his pretend girlfriend at his family reunion. And love happened.

My first book by author Kerri Carpenter, saw me smiling at the couple. I love the trope of fake couple becoming real. Their chemistry sizzled and the friends and family added a level of sweetness and fun into the prose.

Overall this story was the perfect stress buster.
Profile Image for Sofia Lazaridou.
2,734 reviews136 followers
January 31, 2020
The book was surprisingly sweet and heart-warming. I fell in love with the main characters, even when Luke was not acting like the man he was and I also fell for his family. I loved how they embraced Lola and I finished the book with the impression that she will be well taken care of because she has a family that loves her.

So far the book is listed as stand-alone, but I hope that won't be the case since Luke's sisters were great and we were teased about a possible relationship between Winnie and Oliver who happens to be Luke's best friend. He seemed like a good dude and he had a lot of chemistry with Winnie which makes me curious about their story.

The book is a quick and light read that doesn't dive very deeply into any situation, but I knew what I was signing up for when I saw the book, so my expectations were more than met. I was happy with the ending result and I even got an odd thought. I thought that when Luke and Lola became a couple at the end of the book, he could go to therapy and solve his daddy issues. This is the closest thing I have done when reading a book to connect a book to reality.

P.S I loved the story of the first date Lola's parents had and how Lola and Luke ended up describing it.
Profile Image for Elley Murray.
1,054 reviews139 followers
June 11, 2018
This book has a cute premise, and who doesn't love a hot nerdy librarian lady? I'm also a bit of a sucker for the pretend-relationship trope, but it has to be done in a believable way that doesn't require TOO MUCH suspension of disbelief. This one was done passably well - not the most stellar example I've ever seen, but definitely not the worst either.

The writing style on this reads like it's somebody's first stab at writing fan-fiction. Very clichéd and you can see what's coming next from a mile away. That being said, it is a short, cute, light read. I'm kind of persnickety and read so much that I expect a certain level of ... finesse, for lack of a better word, in the writing of the books I read, and this just doesn't have it. If you're looking for an easy, sparkly read and don't mind some tired clichés and forced drama (how many times does she need to assure the reader and the other characters that lying is never good, "trust me"?) then give this book a whirl.
Profile Image for Barb Lie.
1,754 reviews4 followers
June 9, 2018
Her Super-Secret Rebound Boyfriend by Kerri Carpenter is a sweet cute romantic story of a fake romance that turns into the real thing.

Lola McBride, our heroine, is a shy librarian, who is coming off a break up and her roommate, Frankie convinces her that she needs to get out and have some fun. After much convincing, they end up at a high school reunion (not their school) using names of those not attending. Lola spots a hot looking guy, who approaches her.

Luke Erickson, our hero, attends the reunion only because his friends put him on the spot. When he spies a beautiful girl, Luke decides to introduce himself and in a short time, Lola’s gig is up, as Luke used to date the girl’s name she took. However, Luke thinks it’s funny, and says he will keep her secret, if she will do a favor for him.

Luke wants no permanent relationships in his life, as he is haunted by his father leaving him and his family years before; he never wants to allow himself feel the hurt again. His family (mother & 3 sisters), are very close and loyal, but they drive him crazy, pressuring him to find a girl to marry. Luke tells Lola he would like her to be his pretend girlfriend at his upcoming family’s reunion. Lola though not liking to lie agrees to help Luke.

What follows is a cute, fun story, as Luke and Lola begin to spend time going out to dinner, so they learn more about each of their lives for their pretend romance; which includes about Luke’s father & Lola having no family left. When they attend the reunion, Lola finds herself loving being around Luke’s family, who welcome her with open arms. When the reunion is over, instead of ending things, Luke and Lola find they are both attracted to each other. Soon another visit to Luke’s house has Lola feeling like part of the family, and Luke feeling things he refused to acknowledge. But his relationship fears are deep rooted. Will Lola and Luke find a way to stay together?

As I said above, this story was a cute, fun and a fast read. I thoroughly enjoyed Lola and Luke, as well as his family. Frankie, her best friend, was a fanatic of the Golden Girls television show, and used many things from that show throughout the story. Her Super- Secret Rebound Boyfriend was a refreshing and charming read. This is my first book by Kerri Carpenter, and I will be looking out for more books from her.

Barb
The Reading Cafe
873 reviews1 follower
May 13, 2018
This was a very cute and enjoyable story that takes a standard romantic plot of a couple pretending to be a couple for some rather stupid reason and then finding that they should be a true couple. In this novel, the couple are a shy librarian, Lola, who is convinced by her best friend to crash a high school reunion. There she’s caught out by Luke who asks her to pretend to be his girlfriend for his family reunion so he can avoid the nagging by his mom and triplet sisters. Lola, who has no family left, is entranced by Luke’s fun and loving family. You will be too.

The dialogue was enjoyable and they turn out to be a great couple together. You’ll love Lola’s friend Frankie, who maintains that the best advice comes from TV’s “Golden Girls.”

I voluntarily reviewed an advanced reader copy of this book that I received from Netgalley; however, the opinions are my own and I did not receive any compensation for my review.
Profile Image for Rachel.
2,042 reviews26 followers
June 11, 2018
3.5*; rounded up for GR.
Lola's boyfriend just broke up with her. Her best friend, Frankie, comes up with an idea to cheer up her and get her out of the rut she fell in. That idea, taken from an episode of the Golden Girls (yeah!), is to crash someone else's high school reunion. While there, she meets Luke. Luke happened to know the person whose name tag Lola was wearing. Busted! But wait, Luke has a family reunion to go to and needs a fake girlfriend.
While this was predictable, it was exactly what I was in the mood for. This was fun, flirty, lighthearted and doesn't take itself too seriously. Both have Issues. Luke with his dad, Lola with her mom. Lola was a little naive. She also had some self-esteem issues. I didn't like how being nice was equated with being a doormat.
I really like Lola's friends and Luke's family (I suspect a story might be brewing for Oliver and Winnie; and then maybe one for Frankie?). I loved the Golden Girl quotes. I do wish more had been said that, while there are many families that are related, there are many more that are chosen. Lola thought too much about how alone she was, when she had a chosen family right there (like the Golden Girls).

eARC courtesy of Entangled Publishing, LLC (Lovestruck) and NetGalley
Publishes on June 11.

I'm going to use this for Ripped Bodice Bingo for the Heroine's eyes are described using the ocean; "the crystal blue hue of her eyes." and "Her eyes sparkled..."
Profile Image for Emily (Mrs B's Books).
1,520 reviews83 followers
June 15, 2018
**My thanks to NetGalley and Entangled Publishing LLC, for providing me with a free copy for an honest review**

This was a sweet book that is perfect to read on your holidays and leaves you with a HEA.

Lola crashes a 10 year reunion with her best friend in order to help her get over her new break-up, however after Luke called her out on it, they forge a friendly alliance, however Lola does not like lying and Luke does not like relationships.

What starts as friendly however soon evolves into me confusing Luke a little and Lola does not realise she is falling for him until her friend points it out.

There is fun, angst and emotion in this book as well as Luke acting like an idiot, however he does manage to recover enough to give us the happy ever after we want.

A cute little read.
Profile Image for Marija.
272 reviews36 followers
June 6, 2018
This was a fun and very enjoyable read. It kept me reading from the very first page and I was telling myself just another page, just another one...until the end.
Characters were very interesting and well built and the plot was interesting. I love books with librarians and how they show another side of their life and it was great idea to combine with the fake relationship that will turn into not so fake at the end.
It is a definitely perfect book for this summer days
I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own
Profile Image for JG.
1,493 reviews57 followers
June 13, 2018
This is one funny and lighthearted romance that plays on the pretending to be your significant other during a family reunion trope. Plus the meet-cute was totally unique and there are a lot of Golden Girls words of wisdom being floated around in the book. Now, who can resist that! Luke and Lola are delightful characters and if you’re in the mood for a funny, lighthearted, sweet and sexy romance then this one will definitely fill that craving.

*ARC provided*
Profile Image for Isha Coleman.
6,797 reviews131 followers
June 17, 2018
Her Super-Secret Rebound Boyfriend by Kerri Carpenter
Looking for a way to lighten the mood. Kerri Carpenter always delivers. Who needs to look for love, if it's destined to find you? Lola and Luke begin as a fluke and work their way up to forever. With multiple mishaps along the way. Her Super - Secret Rebound Boyfriend is the perfect cure to heal a broken heart. Chaos, laughter and happily ever after.
Profile Image for Rochelle.
1,542 reviews
September 16, 2019
This is my first book from this author and i really liked it. It was a cute story about Lola, a reunion crasher who does this to get over a breakup. While she is there, Luke sees her and calls her on the fact that she does not belong there. So instead of ratting her out, he asks if she will go to his family reunion . Will their fake relationship actually be able to grow into something real? This is a quick read that will leave you laughing and a little hot by the time you are finished with it.

I received an ARC of this book from NetGalley and I am voluntarily leaving an honest review.
Profile Image for Bec.
1,627 reviews39 followers
June 15, 2018
When her boyfriend dumps her, Lola McBride decides to go along with her best friend's idea of crashing a high school reunion. She never imagined she'd have fun until she meets Luke Erickson; a gorgeous man that -- soon after meeting him -- asks if she'll accompany him to his family reunion as his pretend girlfriend in order to avoid his family harassing him about his love life. Yet, the more time Lola spends with Luke, the more she finds herself falling for a man that doesn't want a forever relationship. Will Luke realize how strong his feelings for Lola are before it's too late or will he break her heart?

There was a lot to love about this story such as the wonderful main and secondary characters, the riveting dialogue that drew me in from the very beginning, and the fast-paced plot that encompassed some tough obstacles for the hero and heroine to overcome in order to achieve their happy ever after. However, it was the intense chemistry that existed between Lola and Luke that had me hooked and had me reading quickly, determined to discover whether Luke would realize how in love he is with the heroine before he ended up breaking the heroine's heart.

With the dialogue, it was intense due to the main characters back stories, especially that of the heroine, as she's suffered loss and to be a part of Luke's family is precious, even if it's only temporary. Moreover, the heroine is resilient, courageous and I liked that she was willing to help Luke, even though she hates lies. Something that is understandable after what happened in the past in learning some terrible news that was hard for her to handle. Yet, what I liked most of all about the heroine is the tight relationship she shares with her best friend and that the pair would do anything for each other, which is proven by the things her friend does for her. While the hero, he has his reasons for not wanting a relationship, yet, I liked that he couldn't resist the heroine. He's also confident, hard-working and I enjoyed the tight relationship he shares with his family, even if their determination to find him the perfect woman annoys him. Luckily, he's found his perfect match in Lola.

Overall, Ms. Carpenter has delivered a wonderful read in this book where the romance was delightful and had me loving these two together; and the ending had me cheering for this couple's happy ever after, as Luke is determined to use any means necessary to get the heroine to forgive him after what happened to cause their relationship to go awry. Will Lola give Luke another chance? However, it was the epilogue that wrapped this story up nicely because of the surprises one of the main characters had for the other. I would recommend Her Super Secret Rebound Boyfriend by Kerri Carpenter, if you enjoy the fake relationship trope or books by authors Marissa Clarke, Stefanie London, Kira Archer and Melia Alexander.
Profile Image for Keyrsten.
125 reviews3 followers
June 14, 2018
Overall this wasn't a bad read. There were plenty of cute moments and applause worthy one liners. I could see the potential budding between these two people, who mind you have polar opposite ideas on what can come from being in a relationship. I was totally rooting for Luke and Lola to find a way to mesh themselves together, both emotionally and physically. Even though I was rooting for them, I have to admit their relationship fell a little flat for me.

Lola's repetitiveness with how much she hated lying was a frustration, and I admit that when I finally learned the reasoning behind it I wasn't as invested because all I could think was "its about damn time". I get this is her rebound, but I think her recent breakup was brushed over way too quickly. She was with this guy for years and at the beginning was still wallowing because she loved him ... but has this whirlwind "romance" with Luke and it's like the catalyst that started it was just a blip on the radar. I was so hoping to see her ex cursing himself for treating her the way he did, but alas that hope fell flat.

Luke's struggles with dealing with his dad were important to the entire plot of the book, but I just wish we would've seen more of those internal battles beyond just how they shaped his views on relationships. Take it from someone who has daddy issues, there are more ways it affects you than just how you view yourself in relationships. Also to see how his family copes with these issues and him would have given more of a peak to how it was truly effecting his life as a whole. I think seeing more of this piece of him would have made him a more well rounded character.

Their entire relationship seemed a bit forced and was rushed far too much. I think the forced bit stems from the fact that everything happened bada bing bada boom. There are what seems like months worth of a new relationship jam packed into the span of two weeks. I get that people fall fast sometimes, but with the personal struggles these two had it just didn't seem believable to fall that fast. Even the most pivotal point in the book climaxes and resolves all within a short time span.Their story could have really benefited and seemed more believable if it had been slowed down and allowed to stew.

It had its moments that I adored and cherished, but at the end the storyline could have benefited with a little more tender loving care. In the end I was left not as believing in their relationship and not as invested in their love story as I was hoping to be.
Profile Image for Lori.
202 reviews7 followers
November 27, 2018
Nope, nope, nope. I'm down with the semi-ridiculous plot and traditional romance tropes of "sexy girl doesn't know she's sexy" and "sexy librarian" and even "instalust." But there were just too many red flags.

The hero and heroine meet on Saturday night when she and her BFF crash the hero's high school reunion. He gets her to agree to be his fake girlfriend at a family reunion the next weekend by allowing her to think he's going to get her in trouble for crashing the reunion (he isn't going to do that anyway, but he lets her think he will). Heroine seems to have a big problem with lying to people and is reluctant to go for this fake relationship because the hero's reasons seem really stupid, but she goes along with it even though she really doesn't have a good reason to do so. They do chat a bit at the reunion before she has to make a quick exit with her BFF when they are actually found out, but they don't talk again...until he shows up unannounced on Monday night at her bocce ball practice. See she mentioned it when they were talking and gave him enough information to know when and where it was. Rather than calling or texting her to make sure it was cool (HE HAD HER PHONE NUMBER!), he just showed up. Eh, okay, not cool. Then they make plans to hang out later in the week. But the hero is just so into her that he deliberately takes an assignment at work that is near the library where she told him she works. And then just drops in on her AT WORK, UNANNOUNCED, and demands they have lunch together. Add to that the constant sexualization of everything she does and says by the hero ("Why did every sound she made sound so sexual?") and the heroine clearly embarrassed nearly all of the time, and I am out. I'm a fairly shy introvert myself and until I am seriously dating someone, they should not be showing up unannounced at my work or outings with my friends. It was just clear that the hero was going to continue to be manipulative with his excuse being that he doesn't do relationships because his dad left his family when he was a kid so he thinks that he shouldn't want to spend a lot of time with the same woman because that's a relationship. *eye roll*

This just wasn't for me, so YMMV. There were a lot of elements that I liked, they just didn't come together for me. And I particularly dislike emotionally immature characters.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Lynn Cheryl.
694 reviews31 followers
June 14, 2018
This novel was so much fun and perfect as a holiday read by the pool or at the beach.

When her very persuasive friend manages to convince Lola McBride to gatecrash a school reunion, she reluctantly agrees. Pretending to be someone else is fine until a gorgeous guy calls her out when he realises the woman he's talking to isn't a past girlfriend. To make amends, she agrees to go on a fake date with Luke Erickson. Only his family party awakens Lola's feelings for something and someone who will disappear out of her life.

The hot woman he's talking to seems different to what he remembers from high school until his best friend jogs his memory. Realising this reunion is far more fun than anticipated due to the mystery woman he is chatting to, he takes advantage of her and asks her to accompany him to a family reunion. In exchange, he won't expose her as a fraud. It should be simple to trick his family about his 'date', only their reaction and his own feelings make him realise he doesn't want their fake relationship to stop.

Entertaining and heart-warming, the narrative kept my attention one hundred percent as the adorable protagonists realise their fake relationship means more to them than either could have imagined. Their tentative relationship is honest and heartfelt as we discover how the past has shaped their lives. Whilst the overall mood of the novel is both light-hearted and humorous, the author manages to weave heartbreaking details in an uplifting way; the backstory for Lola's parents is beautiful.

This is my first Kerri Carpenter novel and will definitely seek out more of her titles. Although this is a standalone novel, plenty of opportunities to further develop key secondary characters are present and I sincerely hope this will happen. Overall a quick and enjoyable book with a satisfying happy ever after.

***arc generously received courtesy of Entangled Publishing via NetGalley***
Profile Image for Heather Nobbs.
340 reviews
May 15, 2018
I just love a good pretend relationship romance! This was a quick, sexy read. Luke and Lola meet when Lola is talked into crashing a high school reunion (not hers!) by her bff to get over a breakup. Luke is at his reunion when he sees a hot girl and approaches her and comes to realize she isn’t who her name tag says she is. Lola being a good girl says she will do anything he wants as long as he doesn’t turn her in. Not that he would and if she would have given it a thought she should know she wouldn’t get in that much trouble, lol. Luke asks Lola to be his fake girlfriend for an upcoming family reunion because his mom and sisters are always trying to set him up with women they know. Lola hits it off with his family and starts to feel really bad about deceiving them because she has no family of her own and really liked his family. After the reunion they will go their separate ways but off course she is invited to another family event and accepts. Luke and Lola spend time together during this so that they can get to know each other and this way when they are quizzed about the other they will have he answers. Well during this get to know you time they actually tell each other things that they hadn’t told others. Luke had told Lola that he had no intention of ever getting married because of what he went through with his dad and he knows that is what she wants for her future. Feelings start to happen for both of them and where Lola wants to tell Luke about hers he is denying he has any for her. A misunderstanding happens and the essentially break up and alike realizes what a dummy he was and needs to stage a big gestures if he has any hopes of getting Lola back.
I really liked Lola and Luke from page one. I am hoping that each of Luke three sisters (triplets!) get their story.
Profile Image for patrick Lorelli.
3,012 reviews25 followers
June 14, 2018
This is totally a fun story about a librarian Lola who was dumped by her boyfriend and to help get her over that her friend and roommate Frankie, decides that they should empower the Golden Girls and crash a local high Scholl reunion. While at the reunion she meets a man Luke and when he realizes that the nametag that she is using does not match with the person he remembers he plays a game with her until he comes cleans and realizes what is going on. He also realizes that he is having fun with her up until the gig is up and she and Frankie have to make a hasty exit. Before she left though she agreed to go with him to his upcoming family reunion to avoid being set up once again by one of his triplet sisters or his mother. It is during this week and meeting her and her friends, playing bocce ball, eating ice cream and just talking that he finds out that Lola is nothing like any other women he as ever dated. After they pull off the family reunion they continue to see each other until they don’t because of his past and issues he has never dealt with. Now he must decide if she is someone he wants to fight for or not. A very good story that was fun and a quick read. I was able to read this story in one night and the story is just that a story. A way to get away from the going on in today’s busy schedule, this was not a novel or some big history book, so if you want a fun book which we all read try this one. For the people that did not like it and said that it was fake so is all of the ones where the prince ends up with the local girl in a small town but everyone seems to like those books, and this one is just a fun read with very good characters. I got this book from Netgalley.com I gave it 4 stars. Follow us at www.1rad-readerreviews.com
Profile Image for Deborah.
949 reviews4 followers
May 28, 2018
What a fun read!! Her Super-Secret Rebound Boyfriend is such a cute, and charming story!

Lola McBride is a librarian whose a little more straight laced than her best friend and room mate, Frankie. After going through a particularly hard break-up, Frankie comes up with the idea of crashing a high school reunion. She's seen it on The Golden Girls-her fav, and it works in getting her friend out a slump-so why not them! Lola meets the hottest guy she's ever seen while she is there, and unfortunately the name she chose to impersonate, formerly dated said hot guy!

The gig is up! Luke thinks it's funny to crash a reunion of a school you never even attended! He plans on having a little fun with Lola. He proposes that in exchange to keep her secret, she help him get his family off his back by attending his family reunion as his girlfriend. He has three sisters that are dying to get him hooked up, so they are a little skeptical that Luke conveniently shows up with a new girlfriend. But they all like her, and invite her to another family function.

Luke and Lola feel they need to get to know each other better to pull of this pretend relationship. As they spend a lot of time together, the lines between pretend and real blur. Things just got a whole lot more complicated!

This was a refreshing and enjoyable read! I liked Lola and Luke from the beginning and they really seemed to click! You could feel their chemistry-even if they tried so hard to deny it! Frankie was a treat! She was a real best friend to Lola and she was so lucky to have her in her life!

I highly recommend you grab this book today!
Profile Image for Johanna Sawyer.
3,295 reviews35 followers
June 6, 2018
Thanks for an ARC to read and give my honest opinion.

Cover was not my style, but the blurb sucked me into wanting it. My first by this author and it just wasn't for me. I love super sweet romances but after a few paragraphs and content of this book I just decided maybe this author's style of writing just isn't for me. I'm only going to copy the quotes to the publisher since this book isn't out yet, and I received a proof not an actual copy.
Luke is the oldest of four kids, having triplet sisters who interfere in his dating...or lack of dating life. At 28 he is still a love them and leave them, no relationships type of guy. His father walked out on his life at a young age, and he still holds bitterness towards him. So no relationships means no messes.
Lulu has just been dumped at the age of 26 by her boyfriend for a much younger and prettier girl. What? She watches too much Golden Girls with her friend Frankie. They decide to hit up a high school reunion that's not theirs to hook up with guys...maybe a one night stand or rebound. She meets Luke and he exposes her lie. If she doesn't pretend to be his girlfriend at his family reunion the next weekend he will expose her lie.
I'm not sure what I didn't like, the characters, the Golden girls, or the situation. Building a relationship on lies really isn't supposed to work. I think the couple had okay chemistry but Luke was pretty annoying and childish about not having feelings for Lulu when he had obviously slept with her a bunch. He had feelings....maybe not longevity ones. Just kind of grated. Plus who has a ten year high school reunion? Two stars of entertainment.
Profile Image for books are love.
3,131 reviews24 followers
June 16, 2018
Received in exchange for a honest review.

This was fun and quirky.

Setting: DC and Virginia area in present time.

Characters: Luke and Lola. Luke is a great guy but after what happened with his mom he is fearful of love. Doesn’t want to hurt someone or be like his dad. He is smart, kind and funny. Lola is quiet and kind. I love how she is honest and sensitive. She lost her only family and now is very mindful of others and their families.

Plot: Luke’s family is driving him nuts to settle down. Lola was just dumped so her bestie who is a Golden Girls fan has them crash a high school reunion. This is where she meets Luke who finds her crash a hoot. So he gets her to become his girlfriend for a picnic with the family to get them to back off. They learn about one another and the attraction is through the roof. Now they both have feelings but don’t want to admit it. Lola is loved by luke’s family and they take her in as family. Only Luke does do something stupid and has to make up for it. We get a HEA and see Lola get a family as well. She learns that she had one with her friends but also gains Luke’s.

POV: Luke and Lola’s. They both give us great insight and we see Luke’s fears but also how Lola just fits him naturally. She intrigues him and doesn’t have him feel stifled. It is a natural progression for him as we see by his thoughts.

Writing: keeps you in the moment and enjoying the story. It is easygoing and fun.

Overall: a fun enjoyable story with characters you love, a great ongoing reference to the Golden Girls and spunky moments but also an ending that has you swooning and truly fall more in love with Luke.
Profile Image for Elizabeth Neal.
1,642 reviews125 followers
June 18, 2018
Lola, a shy librarian, fits the stereotypical view of one, but her best friend, Frankie, talked her into leaving that image behind, at least this one time. Well, that ended with them crashing someone else's high school reunion. Of course, Frankie had great reasoning...to help Lola get over a recent breakup. And while there, Lola lays eyes on the most gorgeous man ever to be created.

Luke, an architect, dreaded his reunion, but is thankful he went because he had so much fun thanks to a sexy brunette. After catching her in a lie, Luke discovers he isn't above bribery to get his way. He'll keep her secret if she helps him out. He's got a family get together coming soon, and is not looking forward to the inevitable when you settling down questions. So, if Lola agrees to attend it with him...

Suddenly, Luke and Lola are spending a lot of time together, and enjoying every second of it. But soon the lines between reality and pretend start to blur, and they're both left wondering what to do next.

What happens when anti-commitment Luke falls for a woman who's recently been hurt? Is it a rebound? Or the real thing? Will they choose to go their separate ways after Luke's conditions are met? Or is the connection between them too strong to ignore? Is a HEA possible?

One-click now and follow along as two people meet under false pretenses but quickly strike up a mutually beneficial arrangement. One that could lead to forever.

**I voluntarily read and reviewed an Advanced Reader Copy of this book.**
Profile Image for Christine.
845 reviews15 followers
May 29, 2018
A light fake romance between two likable people with a fun meet-cute but ultimately was weighed down by unoriginal daddy issues and insecurities. Although the Golden Girls mentions were adorable, they weren't enough to save the flat, predictable story.

Having been dumped by her boyfriend, librarian Lola somehow finds herself crashing a 10-year high school reunion with her Golden Girls-obsessed roommate, Frankie. Luke catches Lola and gently blackmails her into pretending to be his girlfriend at his family reunion to throw off his pushy sisters. This was a fun start but once Luke and Lola started dancing around each other, Luke's extreme daddy issues and Lola's abandonment issues completely dragged the story down.

Luke insists that he's completely against relationships because his father left his family when Luke was a young child. Having lost her parents, Lola is lonely for a family of her own and finds herself falling not just for Luke but his family, too. The problem is that for most of the book, Luke constantly declares that he will never be in a relationship but chases after Lola anyway, all while feeling sorry for himself. Meanwhile, his mom and sisters all seem to be pretty well-adjusted despite his dad's abandonment, making Luke seem an even bigger pouting man-child.

Note: I voluntarily read and reviewed this ARC generously provided by NetGalley.
Profile Image for Fizza.
Author 25 books33 followers
May 16, 2018
If you are looking for a sweet, heart-touching, lighthearted, and hot romance then this book is perfect for you. It's such a great story, written in a way that it will keep you interested from the very beginning until the end. Also I loved all the characters; Lola, Luke, as well as all the side characters are amazing. I really enjoyed this cute story which made me laugh at times and sigh at others.

Lola's boyfriend broke up with her and she is a mess. So, to cheer her up her roommate decides to crash a high school reunion... One thing led to the other and Lola finds herself agreeing to become someone's pretend girlfriend. What seems like a good idea and the time soon turns into something she will live to regret...

Luke finds Lola attractive. She is such a gorgeous woman and has no idea about it. While talking to her he suddenly comes up with this insane idea... Why not ask her to be his pretend girlfriend? That way he can get rid of his family's constant pestering and also will get to spend more time with her. However, he fears that he might end up biting more than he could chew....

I really enjoyed reading Lola and Luke's story. They've perfect chemistry and their story is quite romantic. It was a quick read for me. I'd definitely recommend this book to romance lovers.
P.S. I received a complimentary copy of this book via NetGalley.
Profile Image for Lauren.
341 reviews7 followers
June 12, 2018
Lola’s been dumped, so her best friend Frankie convinces her to crash a high school reunion. She’s caught in her lie by the handsome Luke, who convinces her to attend his family reunion as his girlfriend to keep his meddlesome sisters off his back.

Luke is instantly attracted to the lying librarian, but doesn’t do relationships because his dad walked out when he was five. Lola feels the same attraction, but her failed relationship and sub-zero self esteem convince her that Luke couldn’t possibly be interested in her.

This isn’t a bad read, but it felt a little cliched, with self-indulgent prose and uneven characterisation. Lola balks at pretending to be Luke’s girlfriend because she dislikes lying, but in the same conversation convinces him to lie about how they met. It all felt a bit forced, as if they change personalities in order to fit the plot. Barely a week after meeting, Luke opens up to Lola because she is different. To be honest, with the mutually-acknowledged attraction, I don’t know why they even had to lie, especially as it made Lola feel so guilty. The title had me interested but the elements didn't quite mesh to make a fully-satisfying whole.

The book definitely had its cute moments and hit all the right beats, but in the end, I can’t say it stands out from the crowd.

I received an advanced reading copy from Barclay publishing.
Profile Image for The Book Girl.
780 reviews36 followers
May 10, 2018

I can't tell you how much I loved this story. It was unique in a few ways but my favorite was all the advice from the Golden Girls. I was nervous about that at first but it really added to the story in a new fun way. The writing style is super good. I enjoyed every minute reading. There were lots of fun twists and turns in this romance novel.

In this story, we meet the shy but sweet librarian Lola. She needs to learn to live a little. Her roomie uses the Golden Girls to teach her how to have fun! Then she ends up crashing the high school reunion. She didn't go there nor was it her class year. Then she meets Luke who is back in town after being gone for some time. They suddenly are constantly together. After decides to blackmail the reunion crasher, Lola and make her his fake girlfriend for his family. As you can imagine things get quite complicated.

Due to Lola being an orphan. She falls hard for Luke's family and him in general. Weeks after the blackmail she is still pretending to be his girlfriend. Or is she still pretending?

This was a super fun and sweet romance book. I loved reading it!

Disclaimer: I received this book from Entangled Publishing in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts are my own.
Profile Image for Tracy.
858 reviews
June 15, 2018
Her Super-Secret Rebound Boyfriend by Kerri Carpenter was a fun, sweet, fairly quick read that I liked a lot.

Lola & Luke at first look don't seem like they're gonna work - he's anti-relationships and she wants the family, house and dog.... they're good for a quick rebound fling and that's about it - isn't it??

A kinda funny, unusual meeting and a little bit of bribery sees the pair as a 'pretend' couple.
It was a good read seeing them get to know each other, learning more about what makes them tick - the reasons why they feel the way the do about relationships and love - and what life has handed them. The longer they spend together (which isn't long, as the book is set in a fairly short time span) the more they fall.... but can two people wanting opposite things make it?

With focus on family, whether of choice or blood (even when they annoy the life out of you...) this book was packed with interesting and fun characters, some that I hope we get to meet in their own books. I read HS-SRB in less than a day and am looking forward to more from Kerri.

I'd definitely recommend this read and rate it 4*

I received a copy of the book for an honest review but will be buying my own copy for sure
Displaying 1 - 30 of 88 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.