Start by marking “The Power of Agency: The 7 Principles to Conquer Obstacles, Make Effective Decisions, and Create a Life on Your Own Terms” as Want to Read:

"This book offers the groundwork for making choices that allow you to spend more time on the things you care about and less time on those you'd rather skip. Your relationships will have more warmth, your productivity will increase, and your life will feel more meaningful." — Kim Scott, New York Times bestselling author of Radical Candor

This program includes an introduction
Audio CD
Published March 5th 2019 by Macmillan Audio

To ask other readers questions about The Power of Agency, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Power of Agency

Start your review of The Power of Agency: The 7 Principles to Conquer Obstacles, Make Effective Decisions, and Create a Life on Your Own Terms
Eva
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, read-2019
I requested this book on Netgalley in return for an honest review

Extremely helpful! While reading this I was somewhat struggling with a certain part of my life and this helped me when it came to making practical decisions that are good for me.
The book I reviewed before this one (The New Happiness) was a more spiritual and emotional guideline, this book gave me more practical advice, like how to respond in certain situations and what ways of thinking you can use to stay in touch with your own
Dora Okeyo
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For as long as people have goals there will always be a sense of being overwhelmed and this book provides insights, practical approaches that target both thought and behavior to cope with whatever comes our way on a daily basis.
What I loved most about this book is how well it is structured, the authors take their time in explaining and outlining what agency is and factors that influence it in modern times and how best to go about living your best life.
It's also great that they do not make
Todd Davidson
Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good and much needed book for today's society. If you are experiencing overwhelm or anxiety this book is for you. If you are not, this book will still help you increase your agency and feel more in control. The book will also help you help those around you that are overwhelmed.

Seven Principles
1. Reduce stimuli -- put away the phone.
2. Associate selectively -- choose friends wisely.
3. Move -- Be healthy
4. Position self as a learned -- be humble and view failure as a chance to learn.
5. Manage
Michael
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Decent book, a bit clinical but had some great lessons
Maria
Overwhelm is becoming more and more widespread in our fast-paced, technology driven world. Napper and Rao argue that a mindful return to strengthening personal agency is the antidote. They discuss seven empowering principles: control stimuli, associate selectively, move, position yourself as a learner, manage your emotions and beliefs, check your intuition, deliberate and then act.

Why I started this book: Eye catching title and a shorter audio. I was ready and eager for both.

Why I finished it:
Renee Rubin Ross
Authors do a good job of laying out the problem: Many if us feel a sense of overwhelm and lack of agency. It may be that their “solutions,” the seven principles they lay put in the book, are the right ones. But some of these principles are quite complex and involved. For example, chapter 5 is about managing one’s emotions. Most of us would agree that doing this will lead to a greater sense of agency. They give examples of their clients learning how to do this, but not really a clear plan of how ...more
James Rindfuss
I picked this up at random from the library and was pleasantly surprised. The title sounded interesting so I figured I’d give it a chance. Although these self-help type books can be pretty hit or miss, I actually ended up really liking this. I think it’s easy (for me at least) to get overwhelmed by work and other mundane to-do list items which can lead to anxiety and procrastination, while not allowing yourself time to reflect on the bigger picture or analyze longer term goals in a focused and ...more
Cat
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nothing really new but diving into this book is a good way of taking time to overthink your actual way of coping with daily stressors and becoming conscious about elements, behavioral patterns or people which are influencing your self confidence. And therefore your stresslevel and mood.
Todd Buegler
Dec 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I appreciate the framework that was created in this book. These 7 principles are not new or revolutionary in and of themselves. But connected together as they were, they provide a different and meaningful lens for the reader to look at the idea of agency, and to ponder the agency they themselves carry.

I think this book could be a helpful tool as a referral device, for people who struggle to find and express their own voice.

Good stuff.

Jason Hillenburg
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The Power of Agency: The 7 Principles to Conquer Obstacles, Make Effective Decision, and Create a Life on Your Own Terms", authored by doctors Paul Napper and Anthony Rao, is based around two central ideas. The first is that a vast majority of people in modern life feel overwhelmed by circumstances and situations and the second is that experience restricts their ability to make decisions, put plans into action, and take the needed steps to live life in the way they want. Napper and Rao’s book ...more
Tim S
Feb 07, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Agency is the feeling that you are making meaningful decisions towards your goals. Feeling overwhelmed, anxious, or depressed is associated with low agency. I bought this book because I was feeling overwhelmed. Some of the tips in this book have helped, such as leaving my phone out of sight when I take breaks, but overall the book felt a bit empty.

I'm disappointed by the fact that most of the principles and tips in the book were justified via anecdote. Compared to books like The How of Happiness
trina
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such an impressive and well researched book. I couldn’t properly define ‘agency’ before reading this book; somehow reading this has given me peace of mind and more concrete strategies for how to conduct life. It draws upon a few concepts that I’ve enjoyed from other books ( Flow, Grit, etc) combined with their own and it’s nice to see it all wrapped up in one place. The authors strike me as sincere, thoughtful and well intentioned people who have a great grasp on the obstacles of modern society ...more
Sandra Park
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. Each principle is its own chapter so you can skip any of them that don't apply to your life. The book begins with an evaluation of where you are in the 7 areas. You can then read the chapters in order or just skip to the areas where you want more help.
Mohamed
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great book. It explains how to have “agency” and be able to make decisions in your personal and professional life. It discusses aspects that we usually don’t think about, such as moving regularly and to avoid stimuli. Would recommend it for everyone !!
Anne
Dec 23, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The tips were effectively laid out in the summary chapter. I didn't feel like they needed a full book's worth of elaboration.
Matthew
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like the principals outlined but the implementation felt under defined.
Noah Hutchison
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid read.

A little wordy but mostly because it’s so well thought out and detailed, as it is with books in these fields. Definitely some solid tips to take away.
Robert M Gallagher
Well-researched and thought-provoking, this read is well worth it, even if only for the decision making process described at the end.
Marcela
Not really what I was expecting—didn’t get any helpful information about making decisions, just generalities about having better life
Andrea Oyarzabal
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Good Habits, Bad Habits: The Science of Making Positive Changes That Stick
  • Tim Cook: The Genius Who Took Apple to the Next Level
  • You Can't Know It All: Leading in the Age of Deep Expertise
  • Questions Are the Answer: A Breakthrough Approach to Your Most Vexing Problems at Work and in Life
  • Free to Focus: A Total Productivity System to Achieve More by Doing Less
  • The Founder’s Mentality: How to Overcome the Predictable Crises of Growth
  • Clarity First: How Smart Leaders and Organizations Achieve Outstanding Performance
  • The Effective Executive: The Definitive Guide to Getting the Right Things Done
  • You Can't Know It All: Leading in the Age of Deep Expertise