Start by marking “The Power of Agency: The 7 Principles to Conquer Obstacles, Make Effective Decisions, and Create a Life on Your Own Terms” as Want to Read:

"This book offers the groundwork for making choices that allow you to spend more time on the things you care about and less time on those you'd rather skip. Your relationships will have more warmth, your productivity will increase, and your life will feel more meaningful." — Kim Scott, New York Times bestselling author of Radical Candor

This program includes an introduction
Audio CD
Published March 5th 2019 by Macmillan Audio

To ask other readers questions about The Power of Agency, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Power of Agency

Eva
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, read-2019
I requested this book on Netgalley in return for an honest review

Extremely helpful! While reading this I was somewhat struggling with a certain part of my life and this helped me when it came to making practical decisions that are good for me.
The book I reviewed before this one (The New Happiness) was a more spiritual and emotional guideline, this book gave me more practical advice, like how to respond in certain situations and what ways of thinking you can use to stay in touch with your own age
Maria
Overwhelm is becoming more and more widespread in our fast-paced, technology driven world. Napper and Rao argue that a mindful return to strengthening personal agency is the antidote. They discuss seven empowering principles: control stimuli, associate selectively, move, position yourself as a learner, manage your emotions and beliefs, check your intuition, deliberate and then act.

Why I started this book: Eye catching title and a shorter audio. I was ready and eager for both.

Why I finished it: S
James Rindfuss
I picked this up at random from the library and was pleasantly surprised. The title sounded interesting so I figured I’d give it a chance. Although these self-help type books can be pretty hit or miss, I actually ended up really liking this. I think it’s easy (for me at least) to get overwhelmed by work and other mundane to-do list items which can lead to anxiety and procrastination, while not allowing yourself time to reflect on the bigger picture or analyze longer term goals in a focused and s ...more
Cat
May 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nothing really new but diving into this book is a good way of taking time to overthink your actual way of coping with daily stressors and becoming conscious about elements, behavioral patterns or people which are influencing your self confidence. And therefore your stresslevel and mood.
Dora Okeyo
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For as long as people have goals there will always be a sense of being overwhelmed and this book provides insights, practical approaches that target both thought and behavior to cope with whatever comes our way on a daily basis.
What I loved most about this book is how well it is structured, the authors take their time in explaining and outlining what agency is and factors that influence it in modern times and how best to go about living your best life.
It's also great that they do not make prom
Todd Davidson
Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good and much needed book for today's society. If you are experiencing overwhelm or anxiety this book is for you. If you are not, this book will still help you increase your agency and feel more in control. The book will also help you help those around you that are overwhelmed.

Seven Principles
1. Reduce stimuli -- put away the phone.
2. Associate selectively -- choose friends wisely.
3. Move -- Be healthy
4. Position self as a learned -- be humble and view failure as a chance to learn.
5. Manage yo
trina
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such an impressive and well researched book. I couldn’t properly define ‘agency’ before reading this book; somehow reading this has given me peace of mind and more concrete strategies for how to conduct life. It draws upon a few concepts that I’ve enjoyed from other books ( Flow, Grit, etc) combined with their own and it’s nice to see it all wrapped up in one place. The authors strike me as sincere, thoughtful and well intentioned people who have a great grasp on the obstacles of modern society ...more
Darrell
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars.
I maybe have a slightly tainted opinion because I read a lot of self-helpy type books. But I felt like a lot of the topics they addressed were better treated in other books. There wasn't a ton of 'new' material or different perspectives on things. Which was a little disappointing, because I felt like the book would bring a different perspective.
That being said, I did like the book overall and I took notes.
Mohamed
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great book. It explains how to have “agency” and be able to make decisions in your personal and professional life. It discusses aspects that we usually don’t think about, such as moving regularly and to avoid stimuli. Would recommend it for everyone !!
Matthew
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like the principals outlined but the implementation felt under defined.
Robert M Gallagher
Well-researched and thought-provoking, this read is well worth it, even if only for the decision making process described at the end.
Marcela
Not really what I was expecting—didn’t get any helpful information about making decisions, just generalities about having better life
Andrea Oyarzabal
Apr 20, 2019
Kevin
Jun 06, 2019
Matthew Renko
rated it did not like it
May 27, 2019