Start by marking “Fergal and the Bad Temper” as Want to Read:
Fergal and the Bad Temper

Fergal and the Bad Temper

A young dragon must learn to control his temper in this funny picture book for fiery kids everywhere!

Fergal the dragon does not like being told what to do. It's not fair! And when things aren't fair, Fergal loses his temper and snorts angry fire.

He feels sorry afterward, but Fergal just can't control his outburts!

After one really fiery day, his family and friends offer him
Published April 30th 2019 by Imprint

To ask other readers questions about Fergal and the Bad Temper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fergal and the Bad Temper

Start your review of Fergal and the Bad Temper
Christina Reid
Cute picture book which looks at the consequences of anger and how it can be controlled in everyday situations. And, of course, the main character is a dragon which makes it even better!
La Coccinelle
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
There are plenty of books out there about emotions and how to deal with them, but I've found that the picture books that work the best for this subject are those with a touch of humour or absurdity. Fergal and the Bad Temper is one of those, in which a little dragon has trouble regulating his anger... to the point that nobody wants to hang out with him because he keeps incinerating his surroundings!

I really like how the story offers Fergal lots of alternatives to breathing fire as a way to get
Anniken Haga
I got a free copy in exchange for an honest review.

This book was both cute and infuriating.
I've never liked children that would fire up because they felt something was unfair - *cough* my sister *cough*. I won't say I didn't do the same, but surviving childhood cancer kind of put things in perspective for me, and so eating my greens was a small price to pay to be alive.

But back to the book.
I really did like the drawings.
And while the whole ''burning with anger over eating my greens or doing
Villain E
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Fergal is a dragon so when he gets heated, he burns everything up. Does a great job of illustrating the concept of: not only can you not play with it anymore, now no one can. The rest of this is a pretty standard anger management book for kids. But if your kids haven't read a book like this or if they like dragons, it's a decent example of the mileau.
Dylan Teut
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There's much to love about this book, but I especially loved that Fergal expressed to his mother that his anger made his friends turn away and "that's not fair." However, his mother reminded him that the consequences of his anger for his friends was also "not fair." A great way for children to think about the ramifications of their anger.
KC
When a dragon gets angry. Watch out!
Michelle
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A young dragon struggles to control his temper, but soon learns different coping mechanisms to calm down. I like that this demonstrated how others use difference techniques and that bad tempers affect others.
Edward Sullivan
May 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Young dragon must learn to tame his incendiary temper.
Anthony
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fergal the Dragon is a nice dragon, until he doesn't get his way, and his temper flares. Fergal's inability to control his temper has isolated him from his friends. Fergal needs to find a way to control his temper. After receiving some advice from his mother, Fergal discovers several ways to calm himself, and his temper.
Becky B
When Fergal gets upset or thinks something isn't fair he erupts with flame. After a while, people don't want to be around Fergal because he inevitably turns their goods or toys to crispy ashes. Can Fergal find a way to get his temper (and his flame) under control?

This presents anger issues in a very entertaining way. I love the spread that shows an array of things Fergal has turned to ash because he got upset at them. When he starts looking for ways to cool off when he gets upset he observes
Molly Cluff (Library!)
A cute story on managing anger and frustrations with an adorable yellow dragon. Fergal learns several different techniques like counting to ten, talking to a friend, stretching, etc.
Michelle (FabBookReviews)

Let's take a look at Robert Starling's picture book debut, Fergal and the Bad Temper. Fergal is, readers learn, a pretty friendly, smiley little dragon...but things take a quick turn for the "fiery" when Fergal is told what to do! Whenever things feel unfair or whenever he is asked or directed to something he does not want to do, Fergal reacts with temper and fire...actual fire-breathing, which unfortunately wrecks (and scorches) things for those around him. When one of Fergal's fiery outburst
Meredith
Nov 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Fergal learns to control his fiery temper.

Whenever Fergal doesn't immediately get his way, he loses his temper and burns things to a crisp. Finally, no one wants to play with him or even be around him, which leaves him feeling sad and lonely.

He and his mother have a heart-to-heart chat in which she tells that it is okay to feel angry but suggests he count to 10 whenever he feels frustrated in order prevent a fiery outburst. Fergal takes her advice, and he quickly develops sufficient self-control
Barbara
As the text and illustrations make clear, Fergal isn't a bad dragon. It's just that he has anger management issues. When someone tells him to do something that he doesn't want to do, he loses his temper and blasts whatever's in his way. His friends decide that they've had it and no longer want to be around him so he tries the solution his mother offers to him--counting to ten. It works, and Fergal notices that his friends have their own ways of coping with their anger. Not only would this be a ...more
Mikael Cerbing
Nov 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
A popular book at home, not at least because the name of the dragon in the norweigan translation is the same name as my son. And he likes that. But other then that its a nice little book about saving your energy and instead of being angry you can do fun stuff with all that energy. Also, if you are angry all the time, your friends might not want to play with you. A bit forced morality and nice but not anything great with the art. I really do like the cover doe, with a hole through it where Fergal ...more
Diane
Fergal has trouble controlling his temper. He is constantly yelling “It’s not fair!” and then setting things on fire. After a while, his friends don’t want to play with him anymore. His mom explains to him that the consequences of his temper aren’t fair to the other kids. She recommends that the next time he gets fiery, he count to 10. And it works! Then Fergal notices the strategies his friends use to control their tempers. “... and when he didn’t waste his fire on being angry ... he found ...more
Debra
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
An excellent book on acting out and what happens when you are not controlling your temper. Fergal has a very short fuse. One little slight and he blows fire. And that fire burns up his toys, his friend's toys, the town's soccer net, and even his supper and treats. Finally his friends have had enough and they start avoiding him. Can you blame them? Fergal's mom sits down and explains a little technique for stopping the problem - counting down from five. When it works, he starts to notice that his ...more
Alicia Evans
We read this at the library as part of our semi-annual puppet show. Fergal has some issues controlling their temper and a lot of things get crispy. I liked how we see the other animals' coping mechanisms and that Fergal sees real consequences for what they're doing. Cute.

For: dragon lovers; readers looking for a book that shows healthy ways to express anger.

Possible red flags: tantrums and depictions of anger.
Danielle
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fergal has a fiery temper that unleashes itself in a rather physical manner. He's soon left with some less-than-happy friends after his anger quite literally burns them (or rather their personal possessions). But his family teaches him some helpful cooping mechanisms for dealing with his emotions when they run too hot. This is a great book for your little ones who are prone to temper tantrums and destructive behavior.
The Library Lady
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Okay, okay, this is didactic and I DO have a shelf labeled "bibliotherapy is a crock."

However, I also teach kids to do "candle breath" and "volcano breather," both yogic breathing patterns to calm kids, and the "count to 10" thing here is great.

Plus, even though the story is predictable and didactic, it is engaging and the art is terrific.
So this is a winner for me.
Lynn
May 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Fergal gets frustrated and angry about things not being fair. Since he is a small dragon the results are pretty catastrophic!

A nice treatment of the subject and suggestions of how to control temper outbursts. Cute illustrations and kids will giggle at the scenes of Fergal's temper tantrums but also see how the problem is bad for everyone.
Emma Radford
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked it when Fergal learned how to stop being fiery - he kept blowing things up! It’s one of my favourite picture books. (J 5)

A great book to start discussing emotions and what to do if you’re feeling angry. Fun illustrations; Fergal is really loveable!
Gervy
I loved reading this to my 6-yo-boy and he found it very funny too. Fergal combusts stuff with his fire-breath when things don't go his way - it's surprisingly endearing and way more exciting than taking your bat and ball home.
Sharon Lawler
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
"We all feel fiery," sighed Mom, "but we find a way to cool down. My trick is to count to ten." This is how Fergal learned to control his temper. Love the illustrations and the placement of text on the pages.
Jessica
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great story to teach kids how to better control their tempers.
Ita
May 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: juvenile-picture
On your book book - not too didactic
Miss Kelly
Oct 26, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I wonder if there is so much UK slang in this because we are in Singapore?
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Stephanie Williams
This is a nice book about what to do when you lose your cool- it doesn't avoid consequences and gives several strategies for calming down.
Carolyn Stover
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Loved the illustrations and the coping techniques to deal with anger.
Viviane Elbee
This is a book that discusses calming strategies for when tempers flare - counting to 10, etc...

Amusing illustrations of the destruction Fergal causes when he gets mad.

• Just Because