Start by marking “Five Feet Apart” as Want to Read:
Five Feet Apart

Five Feet Apart

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  66,777 ratings  ·  8,731 reviews
In this moving story two teens fall in love with just one minor complication—they can’t get within five feet of each other without risking their lives.

Can you love someone you can never touch?

Stella Grant likes to be in control—even though her totally out of control lungs have sent her in and out of the hospital most of her life. At this point, what Stella needs to control
Published November 20th 2018 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Five Feet Apart, please sign up.
Reyna its popular so you should reservive it at your public libary.
Denise Martins The director of the movie pitched both at the same time saying they should do the movie first and then release a book about it. He shared that on IG s…moreThe director of the movie pitched both at the same time saying they should do the movie first and then release a book about it. He shared that on IG stories when the book was released. (less)

·  66,777 ratings  ·  8,731 reviews

Start your review of Five Feet Apart
Zainab
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cute-ya
I was going to start off by making a joke about the vine reference 'two bros chilling in a hot tub five feet apart 'cause they're not gay' (remember that vine?) but I have thought about it so much it's not funny anymore. But if you do find it funny; thank you, I try. (Now that I think of it, a lot of people made that joke before me so I won't be taking any credit lol)
Anyway, you can read the synopsis anywhere so I won't even bother explaining the story because well, you know, I do not want to. I
Katharine
Feb 16, 2019 rated it liked it
[3.5] There’s some disagreement within the CF community about whether or not this book is an accurate depiction of CF. And I think that will depend on who you ask. Each and every person with CF experiences this disease in our own way, from its severity to our symptoms, to how we feel about the disease and its impact on our lives. It would be impossible for one book to represent every one of us.

Stella, Will, and Poe are in what I would call end stage CF, meaning their lungs are at a point that tr
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
Jan 02, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: audiobooks
Can't say I'm surprised I didn't enjoy this book but it was part of my "Goodreads Reading Challenge" so I did it.

Definitely felt like another cliché YA romance with teenagers too sick to be in love and yet...

Not my cup of tea!
jessica
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i went into this book hoping to get TFIOS vibes. im such a sucker for love stories about two people who demand more from life than what they are given. and although this story does touch on that message, that is surprisingly not why i enjoyed this book.

if anything, i think the story is actually kind of bland. im not a fan of the writing and i didnt feel connected to the characters. its one of those books where you walk away, knowing its missing something that could have made the story truly grea
Nick
Oct 03, 2019 rated it really liked it

I mostly picked this up because i knew the characters had cystic fibrosis. It was a solid read, the story was kind of slow, I lost interest a bit at the end but an overall good experience.
Andrea Tomé
Nov 22, 2018 rated it did not like it
Norma * Traveling Sister and proud Grandma!!!
Heartfelt, touching & absorbing!

FIVE FEET APART by RACHAEL LIPPINCOTT was such an endearing, engaging and a sweet Teens & YA novel featuring two teenage main characters, Stella and Will who are both patients in the hospital with Cystic Fibrosis that fall in love. I was totally taken with this story and this tale of these two star-crossed lovers, Stella and Will as they totally consumed my thoughts and my heart.

This book immediately grabbed my attention with that gorgeous cover and I knew it was
Kayla Dawn
Yeah no, I'm not doing this. Nope.

I don't want to give this a rating after not even having read 100 pages but I'm almost 100% sure this would've been a 1 star read.

Oh god, these characters are such obnoxious teenagers. Not as in realistically obnoxious but as in the cliche YA teenager obnoxious.
I disliked each of them within the first few sentences of their first chapter. Might be a new record for me.

Can't really say much about the plot itself because nothing happened (which is fair, I only r
Nilufer Ozmekik
Dec 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Being subjected to mental and emotional pain could also be definition of a type of masochism which I’m doing right now by reading this book and crying like newborn baby. My neighbors tried to cover my mouth with duct tapes, naturally I ripped them. My husband begged me to stop because all the neighborhood’s army of dogs joined me and began howling. Everybody was terrified because of possible upcoming earthquake!

Sorry guys, I’m mostly sarcastic cow who pulls pranks on people, laughing at people w
Nick
Feb 16, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
is this the next the fault in our stars?
Cristina Monica
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was my first romance novel in… months. I couldn’t bring myself to read a story that focused heavily on a boy and a girl falling in love for a long time.

That’s what happens when there is boy drama (and its aftershocks) in my life. I needed to step away from romance and focus on other things or my mind would keep wandering to that one boy with whom I really (mistakenly) believed something might happen.

So I turned to self help books and memoirs for a while. It helped, it really did. But a few
 Teodora
I don't know exactly what is with me but I sometimes enter the 'need to read books who star the epic star-crossed lovers type of relationship' season and there is no way back until the season is over.
Charlotte May
3.5 ⭐️

“It’s just life Will. It’ll be over before we know it.”

I’d seen mixed reviews regarding this book. Some loved it; pegged it as the next Fault in Our Stars. Others found it irritating, mushy and generally unenjoyable. I am sat right on the fence. I read TFIOS years ago, and I remember thinking it was ok, I wasn’t blown away, sure it was sad, but I felt it tried too hard to be sad….I dunno. And I felt a similar way with Five Feet Apart.

Stella and Will both have Cystic Fibrosis, Will has al
Larry H
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's been said (although the provenance of the quote is questionable) that, "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results." While this adage holds true in many aspects of my life, in this case it applies to my penchant for reading tearjerkers yet being surprised when I'm sobbing (once again on a plane, no less).

Knowing that I'd probably cry, I still couldn't stay away from Five Feet Apart , even though the movie adaptation is supposed
Barbie
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing

My thoughts in a nutshell
I've read this one in July, and I'm writing this review in September. My satisfaction is still alive. I adored this story so much.
I usually enjoy books about disease; this is totally my guilty pleasure.
I got close to the characters. I could empathize with them. I like Stella and Will's relationship. It was cute and innocent.
The writing style was easy and simple. I flow through it in one sitting.
I'm happy because of the ending. It isn't sensationalist, and I'm grateful
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
Okay, I admit it, I saw the movie first and then realized that there is a book as well.

So yes, Cole Sprouse made me want to read this because... well he's Cole Sprouse and he was so amazing in the movie that I cried an ocean when I watched it.

I hope the book is as good as the movie, maybe even better!?
The topic is quite serious so I hope the book is going to do it justice. In my eyes the movie certainly did.

Wish me luck! =)
C.G. Drews
I am always super keen to read books with disability rep! I think YA needs way more disability narratives, and this features two teens with cystic fibrosis. It also has a curious origin story because, from what I understand, it was written off the screen play...so the movie came first?! I would like to see the movie still and could totally imagine Will as Cole Sprouse (Jughead vibes lmao) the whole time.

The story: It's sad, but like of course it's going to be. And it's really easy to be investe
Christy
Sep 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 stars
"If I'm going to die, I'd like to actually live first."

Earlier this year, I went to the movies and saw 'Five Feet Apart'. I usually hate seeing a movie before reading the book, but I went anyway. I really enjoyed the movie and decided to check out the book. The wait for the audio book with my library was a mile long, but eventually, it was my turn to listen. Now, it's been several months since I've watched the film, but this movie adaptation was pretty darn spot on from what
L A i N E Y
Nov 03, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary, ya
This book is literally a ‘honey trap’ as we say in clandestine service. Who the hell is ‘we’?? Anywhooo. The movie is coming out next year and they cast Cole Sprouse??

You mean Cole Sprouse?

COLE fucking SPROUSE?

YEP ladies and gentlemen,

it’s COLE SPROUSE.

I wonder why they didn’t name the book Honey Trap Alert and be done with it??

PS. I always have him pegged as Noah fucking Shaw but I guess we’ll have to share now since he’ll be in this...
Mel (Epic Reading)
Mar 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc-netgalley
I don't normally review books immediately after reading the last page. This gives me an opportunity to think and process what I've read and get my emotions in order. For Five Feet Apart I am breaking that rule as I feel that my emotions are important to why I wasn't a big fan of Rachel Lippincott's teenage romance story. First it's important to know I had a friend with cystic fibrosis...

My Brush with Cystic Fibrosis (CF)
Almost 20 years ago I lost a friend. I was 16 years old at the time. The las
Emily Cait
Oct 05, 2018 rated it did not like it
April (Aprilius Maximus)
*2.5 stars*

I had super low expectations going into this, but found myself really enjoying it. I really liked the characters (the side characters were also great) and even though the ending was corny as all hell, I thought it was a solid read.

HOWEVER, (view spoiler)
Kylie Amber
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-read
This book had me laughing, smiling , and crying all at the same time
Gabby
This book is like Everything Everything meets The Fault In Our Stars because they have to keep their distance and he’s slowly dying but she’s also suffering. The story follows two teens, she has cystic fibrosis and he has B. cepacia

This isn’t usually something I would pick up, I’m not really into young adult anymore, but the publishers sent me this book and I thought why not? It looks short and sweet? And it was short and sweet. It’s a really quick read. This book was real cute and gave me all t
Emer (A Little Haze)
Warning
Unmarked spoiler ahead.

Oh I don't know about this... I know this book was written with input from the CF (Cystic Fibrosis) community but wow did this feel sanitised. I don't have CF but I've grown up in and out of hospitals and the hospital setting in this felt entirely romanticised and lacking in believability. Even the illness and infection aspects of these characters seemed so bland. Where was the hacking up mucous? The fatigue? So many times it's stated that these characters "sprinted
Erik Fazekas
Nov 20, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: cannot-finish
DNF at 30%
Reading this you realise this was written only to get money from moviegoers, or teenagers that like to read the book first and then see the movie.
The writing is mediocre at best, and the story itself is just a typical YA tearjerker. We as YA readers are so over these types of books. The book has to have more in it then just a novelization of the movie.
Sorry, we are not stupid.
Sara
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I must admit , this book had me tearing up a few times , but it wasn't quite an 5 star read because of the ending but this is for sure a sad read but at the same time beautiful
Gillian
Jan 14, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pretty-covers
I’m sorry, but did someone put a spell on me and made my heart into a stone while reading this book because it’s incapable of feeling any emotions aside from exasperation?

It's such a bummer that this book has one of the prettiest covers I've ever seen, yet it has the MOST CRAPPY AND CLICHÉ PLOT ever! Don't even get me started with these bidimensional characters (they're more bland than water, trust me). I could go on for days ranting about the things that went wrong in this book but it's such a
Michelle
DNF

I tried, I really did. This is just not my type of book. I knew that before I even cracked the cover but since someone lent it to me (without my asking) I felt I had to at least try. Sick teenagers and insta-love just aren't my thing apparently. Not to mention I found both of the main characters annoying, especially Stella. Will I watch the movie? No.

No rating, not to be included in 2019 book challenge.
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Sep 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Watched the movie today. Thought I would only watch it cos he's hot. And damn, he's so messed up hot. And yes, ended up crying feeling like... damn, he's hot. No, the movie is good. But the whole time I was crying for something else, I was still thinking 'he is hot' and then 'can he just stop being hot for like 1 second?!'
My tears have never been blinded by someone this hot. And ugh, he's my fictional character hotter than I had imagined.

*When was he the hottest?
😭 The last scene. He looked lik
Nothing But Readi...: Five Feet Apart by Rachael Lippincott - June 2020 YA BOM - starts 16 Jun 13 201 May 26, 2020 07:15AM
Goodreads Librari...: Page numbering request 2 16 May 25, 2020 12:07PM
Addicted to YA: Five Feet Apart 32 312 Apr 01, 2020 07:01PM
Fox Book Club: Best YA Fiction 4 83 Feb 20, 2020 11:54PM
Play Book Tag: Five Feet Apart by Rachael Lippincott - 3 Stars 1 10 Jan 29, 2020 11:07PM
Five feet apart plot question 2 23 Jan 27, 2020 01:56PM

• The Sun Is Also a Star
  • P.S. I Still Love You (To All the Boys I've Loved Before, #2)
  • Everything, Everything
  • To All the Boys I've Loved Before (To All the Boys I've Loved Before, #1)
  • Two Can Keep a Secret
  • Always and Forever, Lara Jean (To All the Boys I've Loved Before, #3)
  • After (After, #1)
  • One of Us Is Next (One of Us Is Lying, #2)
  • All the Bright Places
  • Opposite of Always
  • On the Come Up
  • One of Us Is Lying (One of Us is Lying, #1)
  • Dear Evan Hansen
  • After We Collided (After, #2)
  • With the Fire on High
  • The Rest of the Story
  • Red, White & Royal Blue
  • Yes No Maybe So
Rachael Lippincott was born in Philadelphia and raised in Bucks County, Pennsylvania. She holds a BA in English writing from the University of Pittsburgh. She currently resides in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, splitting her time between writing and running a food truck with her partner.

Articles featuring this book

Have more reading time these days, but don't know where to begin? We're here to help! We've asked some of your favorite authors to sugges...
“If I’m going to die, I’d like to actually live first.” 144 likes