Start by marking “What Really Makes America Great” as Want to Read:
What Really Makes America Great

What Really Makes America Great

America IS great and all the things that make it REALLY great are unique to each and every one of us and deserve to be celebrated. What Really Makes America Great is a collection of artwork honoring all aspects of America from myriad artists in the Creative Action Network.

Creative Action Network founder and CEO Max Slavkin says this art series was inspired by a widespread
Published October 23rd 2018 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about What Really Makes America Great, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Really Makes America Great

Start your review of What Really Makes America Great
Karen
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Creative Action Network put out the call for posters depicting What Makes America Great and received a wide variety of artwork in response. I love that these works are from such a range of artists. Though most seem to be created via digital means, there are a few created with other artistic mediums. The answers to the posed question and the styles of the artists vary widely however, making for an interesting and thought-provoking collection.

Thank you to Netgalley, Creative Action Network and And
Mel
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A BEAUTIFUL book of posters curated by the Creative Action Network collected from 100 different artists over the first 100 days of the Trump administration. The messages are both powerful and inspiring and speak to the most basic tenants of what has always and will continue to make America great. I so appreciate turning the campaign slogan on its head to prove that there is more progress to be made, but we don't need to go backwards- our history is full of greatness and our achievements of equal ...more
Jenny Houle
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
WHAT REALLY MAKES AMERICA GREAT is a collection of posters Creative Action Network's artists created to answer the question "What really makes America great?"' It s not only visually stunning but also thought provoking, and the answers to the question vary dramatically. I was moved by many of them. Even just viewing them all together reminds you how varied our answer to that question may be.

There is a section at the very end with brief contributing artist bios, as well as information on Creativ
Janet
From the publisher ---

America IS great and all the things that make it REALLY great are unique to each and every one of us and deserve to be celebrated. What Really Makes America Great is a collection of artworks honoring all aspects of America from myriad artists in the Creative Action Network.

Creative Network
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Gorgeous and inspiring book! Perfect gift!
Michael
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Truly beautiful and full of positivity. I wish I had the entire collection to hang in my classroom!
Anna
Sep 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What Really Makes America Great by Creative Action Network Foreword by Steven Heller art director author and editor, introduction by Aaron Perry-Zucker and Mark Slavkin Co-Founders of Creative Action Network is an amazing visual book with 100 posters ready for you.
Born for replying with creativity at the motto of the current administration and President, artists, creatives, painters, seriously tried all their best for thinking at a question that after all is simple but difficult at the same tim
Jeff
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What Really Makes America Great is an important timepiece. It doesn't just illustrate the traditional views of what America represents-- it is accentuated by the power and feelings we are experiencing today-- now, in this tumultuous political climate.

The large collection of images are expressed from simple to complex design, monotone to brilliant color and modern to classical poster styles. Many contributing contemporary artists have come together and united a powerful and profound voice of the
J Earl
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What Really Makes America Great from the Creative Action Network is an eye-opening collection of posters around the these of what really makes America great.

Perhaps the greatest strength of this volume is the variety of both styles and responses. The responses, thematically, could be from people almost all across the social and political spectrum. From progressive ideas to things as straightforward as farming. In other words, these things that have made America great long before a nameless naysa
Maressa Mccall
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Wow! This book made me smile and gave me the warm fuzzies.

I understand this book. I understand the need for individuals to express themselves in the wake of Trump becoming president. So I understand why this book was needed.

I love the premise and the inception of the book. Why did no one stop to ask, to consider for a moment, what does make America great? Why didn't anyone really stop to ask that during the campaign? Or maybe they did, and simply weren't heard. Either way...

This book contain
Maria
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a glorious book. Reading it reminded me, “It’s great to live here!” The book is a testament to all that we can relish, delight in, be proud of—freedom of speech, immigration, kindness. But also reminders—to me anyway—of things like agriculture and national parks. More to be grateful for. And then there were the surprises. Like baseball. :)

Sure, we can improve. But this is a gorgeously illustrated reminder that we are great. Anyone who says otherwise is lying.

I received a copy in exchang
Book Snuggery
Aug 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I want you I get a coffee table just so I can have this book in it!
Gorgeous variety of images, visual kaleidoscope of people’s experiences and love for America expressed in a multitude of medians.
I have at least 15 favorites that I want to be the backgrounds on my computer.
The art in this book may seem aggressive or political to some but that is the point, it is expressions of angst, fear, hope, desire for justice.... and so much more in today’s increasingly claustrophobic political climate.
Aaron Perry-Zucker
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book! Very timely view of the current political climate through the eyes of a community of artists. Great gift too!
Alison Deldicque
Elizabeth
Jan 29, 2019

• His & Hers
  • Fast Enough: Bessie Stringfield's First Ride
  • The Big Book of Paleo Pressure Cooking: 150 Fast-to-Fix, Super-Delicious Recipes for All Brands of Electric Pressure Cookers, Including the Instant Pot
  • Owl Love You
  • A Garden in Your Belly: Meet the Microbes in Your Gut
  • The Buddha and the Bee: Biking through America's Forgotten Roadways on a Journey of Discovery
  • Earth Almanac: A Year of Witnessing the Wild, from the Call of the Loon to the Journey of the Gray Whale
  • Hidden Valley Road: Inside the Mind of an American Family
  • Am I Overthinking This?: Over-answering life's questions in 101 charts (Humor Books, Self Help Books, Books About Adulthood)
  • Maybe: A Story About the Endless Potential in All of Us
  • The Keeper of Wild Words
  • The Home Edit: A Guide to Organizing and Realizing Your House Goals
  • The 37 Practices of a Bodhisattva
  • Forks Over Knives: The Plant-Based Way to Health
  • Hollywood Park: A Memoir
  • Good Boy: My Life in Seven Dogs
  • Race & Place: How Urban Geography Shapes the Journey to Reconciliation
  • Ani's Raw Food Essentials: Recipes and Techniques for Mastering the Art of Live Food
A global community of artists and designers making art with purpose.